What is the greatest Gokin ever made?

Posted by Corellian Corvette 
Tonight I'm sitting at my desk - looking around my room and sort of admiring my toy collection - thinking two things:

1. How unbelievably fortunate I am to have such an awesome collection of vintage toys.
2. If it's strange that near 40 I'm sitting at my desk looking at my toy collection.

I then glance over to my cabinet of Godaikins/Chogokin/Sentai combiners and I start to think – what is the most awesome robot toy ever made?

I’ve seen discussions about which was the most significant, the most complex, the most realistic – but overall, if you had to pick just ONE robot – it could either be vintage or new, that was the best ever made… the prime specimen you would share with a novice that encapsulates the best of the hobby - which would you select?

I don’t know that I would qualify the requirements much more than that – but I might eliminate a few variables.

1. It doesn’t have to be a significant toy or character – the original Chogokin Mazinga might be a milestone but it’s pretty far from “the best” toy.
2. It’s relative accuracy to its animated/live action counterpart doesn’t matter (it could be a *bonus* it it's accurate but the toy should be awesome in its own right)
3. The merit is purely based on the *toy*

I’ll lead with my chin. With no supporting evidence, I submit two candidates: The Takatoku Big Dai-X, and the SOC God Mars. I think those are two of the best ever made.

Discuss. :)
See, the problem is this is so subjective. 30 people could give you 30 different answers. You can't really discount something like you did with #1 on your list, either, because THAT may be the most important criteria for someone. I bet someone out there thinks the original Mazinger is the best toy ever. For me, it's the clover Gundam. Why? Until the GA-100, it was the only diecast Gundam game in town. Plus, it's heavy and funky and looks nothing like the show. ;)

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Which TT Dai-X? The ST, DX, or Blitzkrieg Combo?

Anyway, I'm thinking SG-01 Chokinzoku.
mcfitch (Admin)
Hmmm...Based purely on something that just makes me happy to have and handle I'd go with the GA-51 Gaiking, or the SG-01 Tetsujun 28.

One of the most fun to me is the Dynaman DX especially with Dyjupiter.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Gaoking/Wildforce Megazord for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
I don't have most of the examples I would think of, but if I could only have one, it'd have to be something with alot of play value, like a base-former like Iron Gear. Something with a great deal of interactivity that's both a great figure and something of a self-contained 'play-set'.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Prometheum5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't have most of the examples I would think
> of, but if I could only have one, it'd have to be
> something with alot of play value, like a
> base-former like Iron Gear. Something with a
> great deal of interactivity that's both a great
> figure and something of a self-contained
> 'play-set'.

Such as, Diaclone Robot Fortress X?
machinesoldier Wrote:
> Prometheum5 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I don't have most of the examples I would think
> > of, but if I could only have one, it'd have to
> be
> > something with alot of play value, like a
> > base-former like Iron Gear. Something with a
> > great deal of interactivity that's both a great
> > figure and something of a self-contained
> > 'play-set'.
>
>
>
> Such as, Diaclone Robot Fortress X?

Oh, most definitely. My go-to toy example is always Metroplex, but he's not a Gokin.

[prometheusrising.net]
mcfitch (Admin)
Ben, how about the Bullpet Godzilla? That's one of my favorites from childhood.
-Mason

Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Love `em all, but 8-Chan says it all for me.
Mas, I could see the Bullpets... they have a pretty good level of features on top of being monstrous pieces of metal.

[prometheusrising.net]
hillsy Wrote:
> See, the problem is this is so subjective. 30
> people could give you 30 different answers.

I think the subjectivity is part of the fun Chris! I guess the thing I’m asking though isn’t about a ‘personal’ favorite - but what just like the best die-cast giant robot *toy*.

I'm just spurring conversation

And I meant the Blitzkrieg Combo Dai-X Sanjeev.
"I guess the thing I’m asking though isn’t about a ‘personal’ favorite - but what just like the best die-cast giant robot *toy*."

I'm not sure you can differentiate one from the other. Don't get me wrong, though...I like the conversation.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I'm going to get laughed at.

Popinica 'Sky Arrow' from Dangard A.

The Shogun Warriors release.

I had so much fun flying that thing around, shooting the missiles, shooting the nose off and flipping the 'spare' cockpit into place. It's a hefty chunk of zinc, and did I mention shooting missiles?

also I have a deep, deep love of the Takatoku diecast Arcadia, the ST size.

Robots? Not much metal content but the Takatoku VF-1J Valkyrie is just damn sweet and very hard to top, toywise. Look and Function just about perfect.
I have to say that I enjoy reading what others that dabble in this hobby of ours have to say about this topic.

That said, I think the greatest gokin ever is the MPC Prime. Yeah, it's modern and it was sold at Walmart (or at least some version of it) but it's big, it's heavy, it's sturdy, it's poseable, it's anime accurate, it transforms, and it's very cool. The only things missing are some type of launching missile and perhaps some "funk." But the anime accurate-ness kind of ruled that out.

For funk and soul, I'd tip my hat to the SOC Boss Borot.
mcfitch (Admin)

I'm going to get laughed at.

Popinica 'Sky Arrow' from Dangard A.

The Shogun Warriors release.

I had so much fun flying that thing around, shooting the missiles, shooting the nose off and flipping the 'spare' cockpit into place. It's a hefty chunk of zinc, and did I mention shooting missiles?

No laughing here. That was one of the funnest toys I had as a kid for all the reasons you mentioned. I know they're a dime a dozen but that doesn't mean they aren't awesome.
-Mason

josh fraser (Moderator)
More objectively speaking... the Mekanda Dx set or the Chokinzaku.

Personal favorite... GA51. ( hi fives Mason)
Tough but of the top of my head I'd have to say GX-01R. Simple toy with no frills and is just honest, there may be flashier toys with better articulation and accessories but I personally feel GX-01R captured the essence of Mazinger Z. It has just enough old school charm with enough modern day aesthetics without being trendy.
Takatoku 1/55 Valkyrie, a masterpiece of toy design.

My personal favorite for nostalgia is the Godaikin Golion. It was a rare time when a kid in the US could experience what a kid in Japan did and get a Popy DX toy of the robot from his favorite show. I was like the Nintendo 64 kid when I opened that up on Xmas morning.

Honorable mention to the Takatoku big scale SDF-1, to this day still the best toy of the subject.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> Gaoking/Wildforce Megazord for me.

That figures......
I'm gonna go with the Gattiger Combination Go! set. Combining vehicles with missile firing on each one. When showing this toy to uninitiated folks it always get comments about weight and features, plus it's one of my favorites.

I also second the Bullmark Bullpet Gojira. The first Japanese diecast toy I ever owned.

-dylan
Erik Sjoen Wrote:
> Vincent Z. Wrote:
>
> > Gaoking/Wildforce Megazord for me.
>
> That figures......

Hey, some of us are younger than others, ya know?

It still is weird to me that people I work with remember Beast Wars as a fond element of childhood.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Forgot about MPC Prime. Yeah, truly one of the best. I'm also really fond of the SOC EVA's. The first ones from 2003-04.

>Erik Sjoen Wrote:
> Vincent Z. Wrote:
>
> > Gaoking/Wildforce Megazord for me.
>
> That figures......

Sorry that I wasn't born in the 70's or rich enough to pay for a Godaikin Golion.

Actually if they put it on sale a bit, I'm willing get the Trendmasters release that BBTS has still I think.

If I could only keep one Gokin, regardless if it is vintage or modern, pricey or cheap, MISB or loose, I would have to say the one I'd keep is my Bandai Soul of Chogokin GX-01R Mazinger Z.

}D
DX yamato is a childhood favorite.
Not Gokin but the DX Queen Cosmos is also fun.

greatest gokin- Mekanda Technical Gasshin and DX Daiaporon.
Machine Robo Battlehackers R-Jetan, although it might be disqualified based on the near complete lack of diecast. Nearly 1 foot of highly articulated plastic quadruple-changer goodness, with motorized weapons that shoot various projectiles, a detailed cockpit, and extendable landing gear. 1987. Robot-Jet-Tank-Gerwalk. Better articulated than a Macross Valkyrie.
First thought is the easy route, the DX Voltes V. Just about the most shooty gimmicks on any toy made, big, obnoxiously heavy, lots of little hidden features, great colors/look, and still moves a bit at the ankles, hips, shoulders, and elbows.
Anonymous User
Greatest vintage: DX Voltes V - first robot I truly fantasized about as a kid ever since seeing it on the Godaikin catalog. I eventually owned it about a year or 2 later. And about 15 years later, again.

Greatest neo-gokin: SOC Dancouga - 13 different modes, enough diecast, and looks awesome (should be the SOC poster boy - he's the pretty boy among the SOCs). I thought the vintage was the one of the coolest gokins at that time with so many modes, unmatched by any toy I know. Then the SOC blows it out of the water. Need I say more?
Takatoku 1/40 Orgroid (amber canopy version).
1. Nice mix of anime accuracy and funk
2. Great poseability
3. Quadruple changer
4. Durable as a brick shithouse
5. Easy and fun to transform and play with
6. Still cheaper to get than many contemporary Japanese toys
7. The cockpit is actually where the robot's cock would be

This toy represents all that I love about Japanese mecha toys. The very look of it makes me whistful for the 80's. I love that none of the modes look like anything that actually exists, but it still looks like something that could exist in another dimension where the laws of physics differ from our own. To me this toy is the only thing that I can STILL look at and cause me to relive the feelings of mystery and other-worldliness that most Japanese toys used to give me when I first fell in love with Japanese mecha. It's rounded edges make it stand out on any shelf... nothing else really looks like this thing. This and the KZ-02 Berzerk Fuhrer are the only toys that I have ever bought two of, just so that I would have a backup if the first ever wore out from too much use. Getting an Olsen Special was a real treat, but I find myself always returning to the original. Unlike the KZ-02 though, I will never sell it.
Godaikin T28.
Aside from the obvious and unadulterated genius of the GA-51 (my gateway drug into the die-cast madness)...the Daimos DX!

Big head and all, it was like a dream running into him at this LAME smart kids toy store that I almost didn't walk into in the first place. Giant clearance section of 1/2-off Godaikins, picked him up for Twenty bucks! Only had seen Starbirds on cable, but he was my favorite at the time. Not only was it DAIMOS...but a TRANSFORMING Daimos, with a plethora of add-on weapons to boot!

Was so sure that I was dreaming the whole thing, after not "waking up" after repeated pinching, started banging my head into the wall just to make sure. Anyway, so how is the weather in the "outside world" these days?

-ADaM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2010 11:05AM by Supersentai.
Tempted to say the new Akira bike...

But....I'll go with the the tried and true 1/55th Taka Valk. Looks good, swooshable, tough as nails, and still the best valk ever made...Not to mention one of the most kick ass boxes of all time...
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
hillsy Wrote:
> See, the problem is this is so subjective. 30
> people could give you 30 different answers. You
> can't really discount something like you did with
> #1 on your list, either, because THAT may be the
> most important criteria for someone. I bet someone
> out there thinks the original Mazinger is the best
> toy ever. For me, it's the clover Gundam. Why?
> Until the GA-100, it was the only diecast Gundam
> game in town. Plus, it's heavy and funky and looks
> nothing like the show. ;)

Didn't really contribute to this aside from busting Vincent's balls. Chris is right, it's TOTALY subjective. This is a very, very difficult question for me to answer as there are so many I love uncontrollably. A few I would mention would be:

1) Nomura Baldios ST. One of the baddest vintage diecast toys out there. The fucking phone number is on the back of the toy for crying out loud. Shoots disks and has fantastic accessories. HEAVY and very well made. The plastic and the diecast merge together flawlessly..

2) Popy GB-13 Clint. Black panther that fires missiles and sports ruby like jewels. Can't really say much other than it just totally rawks!!

3) Ironically, Chris mentioned the GA-100. Well, I think that is the finest diecast toy made in the last 10+ years. NEVER was there a Popy Gundam but if there were this thing is exactly what I would have wanted it to be. Totally slick yet primitive.

I could go on.. It's impossible to pick just one.
Clint is an awesome toy. I always liked it. But I always thought that Belarios from Daltanias was "the animal" chogokin from popy/bandai.

I always thought the GA100 was a cute toy and great execution, but never really warmed up to it....
GX-05B, Daiku Maryu Black Soul of Chogokin.

You want weight? You got it.
You want size? You got it.
You want a dangerous weapon? You got it.
You want a classic super robot? You got it.
You want a home base? You got it.
You want combining? You got it.
You want transformation? You (sorta) got it.
You want extra weapons/power-ups? You got it.
You want top-notch looks? Hell yea you got it.

Heck, with a little glue dot here and there, the wee Gaiking even stays together!

(Would I really rank this above certain vintage items? Maybe not, but it certainly seems to have it all.)
How to decide? I guess it has to be the one that I would choose if I could only keep one...

Soft Garage T28
I feel pretty much the same way as Warrhead for the imaginatively designed, hard-SF Orguss toys, except my pick would be the 1/40 Gerwalk Nikick. 1 less mode but functionally better executed, especially with the spring-loaded arm covers (compared to the hollows for the Orgroid). It's definitely my 'desert island' choice, although in terms of sheer 'greatness', I'd have to say: Chokinzoku T28
I still really like the GD chogokin versions of Hyaku Shiki and ZZ Gundam.

Godaikin T28 has got to be one of the most impressive designs ever produced. i don't think you have to be a robot fan to be blown away by the sheer awesomeness.
i may sound unfair but since i grew up watching grendizer, he for me is my best gokin..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer