[DESIGNER VINYLS] Hot or Not?

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Okay, so in lieu of taking my own damn pictures, I'm posting pics of toys that I don't even have! :P

Hot or not...the latest offerings from Mark Nagata: Dragigus and Drazorus, Drazoran's little brothers.

I think they're heavenly. No doubt influenced by Ultraman (well...I guess that's obvious given the Captain Maxx character...let alone the damn maker of these things!). Damn Mark for making me want to buy a non-glowie kaiju!!

Drazorus (the second one) is my fave. I can't quite tell what Ultra kaiju influenced the design, but it looks familiar. Dragigus looks like a cross between Varan and Baragon. Anyway, both figures actually come with a matching-painted Drazoran head, which is neat. I love that classic brown vinyl with the metallic spray on them. Very old school.

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Glad to see you came around to these... the brown vinyl with classic Goto sprays are great, but the Drazoran body takes up enough shelf space that I'm=ll wait for some one-offs to get these guys. That's tended to be the trend I've been headed on with vinyl for a while now... 'production' stuff is great and all, but for the limited space I have, I like the idea of having more unique and 'special' versions that I can have some real artistic appreciation to.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Mark hit it out of the friggin park with these sculpts! Easily the best work he's done yet, IMO. The clear ones are fantastic, too:

[kaijuchronicle.blogspot.com]

Plus I could have sworn I'd seen an alternate color scheme (or perhaps custom) for these with metallic colorful paints. Anyone have a link?

I so lust after these. Sux so bad being penniless. :(
I was initially taken by the NagNagNag toy. I was able to get the very first one at retail, probably the only one to make it to the US.

But the hype and board nonsense just spoiled it for me and I ended up doing a three-way trade for some classic Gargamel, 2007 Lucky Bag Hedoran (figure on the left).

Gargamel Hedorans are probably an acquired taste. Contemporary take on the Japanese pollution monster.

The designer vinyl (I hate that label) scene is lacking these days IMO. Now a days, it's all DIY stuff for the most part. Creating is probably better than consuming, but I just don't care for alot of it these days.

And this is pushing me into vintage as the contemporary stuff just doesn't appeal to me for the most part.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I totally hear ya...there hasn't been much new (or good) modern stuff as of late. I kinda can't believe it, but Gargamel *just* put out another standard-sized figure: Deathra ("Bagun" from Sekai no Kaiju). That's--what?--four unique standard kaiju figures (not counting the Bakobas or Miboras heads on the same old Zagoran body) in the past...14 years??? :P

But speaking of Gargamel, do their standard figures even count as "designer"? Aren't they licensed characters from Sekai no Kaiju??? I know this topic has probably been discussed to death on sb, but I don't feel like searching for the threads...

Oh, and just outta curiosity, why don't you like the "designer vinyl" label? Is there something else out there more appropriate? And when you say it's all "DIY", I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that the larger companies aren't putting that much stuff out...while one-offs and customs are becoming more the norm?
My understanding of Gargamel is that they ripped off IKB. Not sure why they don't pay copyright or what not. Japanese legal stuff is a mystery to me. They have festivals where for couple days out of the year, they can license and sell figures only at that festival. So Gargamel was producing Mario Brothers sculpts only for that festival.

I don't care for the label "designer vinyl" as it reminds me of western platform toys where a "street artist" does the design (colour, pattern etc) on a blank.

BxH Kid Hunter, from over ten years ago, is probably considered a "designer vinyl" by alot of collectors. It kicked of the vinyl toy scene back in what? 1998-99 I think? I tend to think of it all as contemporary/modern/vintage except for the DIY and custom stuff.

By DIY, I mean board members making limited toy runs themselves. I'm exaggerating when I say it's ALL DIY but it seems like that is the major focus these days. Guys making stuff in their basement and selling resin casts. Or doing a sculpt and actually getting it cast in vinyl.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh man, so confusing! :P

Okay, so forget DIY for now...what would RxH qualify as? Is that contemporary or modern? What would M1 qualify as?

I guess the way I break it down is designer=non-character toys (where the toy maker makes up the characters...rather than licensing them from another source), and character toys are obviously everything else.

I can't stand Bounty Hunter, myself...but I can see how that type of stuff created this whole punk/hardcore/hipster/whatever-the-fuck subculture on skullbrain and elsewhere.
I really need to check out Skullbrain sometime. As a long time Punk/Hardcore fan and a rabid anti-scenester I get a chuckle out of the idea of Hardcore/Punk/Hipster toys. I imagine conversations like "Dude, Dr. Know is playing tonight, ya going?" "Naw, I spent all my dough on a NagNagNag" or whatever the fuck.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
"I can't stand Bounty Hunter, myself...but I can see how that type of stuff created this whole punk/hardcore/hipster/whatever-the-fuck subculture on skullbrain and elsewhere."

Does this really exist? Wow.... How fucking punk/hardcore is it to have a stupid overpriced toy/art? Uh, yeah...
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
BTW, liquid, I think other than DIY vinyl they called it "garage vinyl".. There is this AWESOME company called "DENJIN" that did the one day license thing over the last decade and made some HUGE Gundam villains in vintage stylings, I sadly only have 3 as they are hard as fuck to get, and also wrestlers from Tigermask that were never made. Good stuff. I'll post some pics for you.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
I guess this isn't considered "designer vinyl" but as we're talking about the super or wonder festival short term licenses I give you 11 inches of bad ass zeon magic DOM:

More please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2010 01:55PM by Warrhead.
Sanjeev (Admin)
That is most definitely loads of kick ass, Erik...but yeah, I don't think that qualifies as "designer".

Here's an example of BXH (Bounty Hunter). Actually, JoshB might know more about this stuff than I...he has this book I flipped through once that sorta catalogues the rise of designer and urban vinyl. Michael Lau (whoever that is) and other shit like that.

edit: I'm pretty sure it's this book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2010 03:09PM by Sanjeev.
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's an example of BXH (Bounty Hunter).

Ughh. I like BXH but I HATE that collab.

Michael Lau is a Hong Kong toy designer known more for street figures (characters with big sneakers, hiphop etc). He later did some Stanley Kubrick figures which were interesting IMO.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Oh man, so confusing! :P
>
> Okay, so forget DIY for now...what would RxH
> qualify as? Is that contemporary or modern? What
> would M1 qualify as?

I see toys such as Elagab as contemporary.
RxH as modern/contemporary. M1 modern.

I haven't thought it all the way through so holes could probably be punched in it. This all just reminds me of genres of music. Is it Indie? Grunge? Downtempo? Shoegaze? etc.

> I guess the way I break it down is
> designer=non-character toys (where the toy maker
> makes up the characters...rather than licensing
> them from another source), and character toys are
> obviously everything else.

Going back to Designer toys, when I hear that I also think of a toy made by someone with a big name. KAWS comes to mind. Also Pushead (who is punk). Your breakdown works here as they both create non-character toys though sometimes KAWS steals iconic images (Mickey Mouse, Pinocchio etc). Kozik comes to mind also. COOP too.

> I can't stand Bounty Hunter, myself...but I can
> see how that type of stuff created this whole
> punk/hardcore/hipster/whatever-the-fuck subculture
> on skullbrain and elsewhere.

Mmmmmm, not sure if I agree with these toys creating a punk/hardcore subculture. I see it more as Japanese punk/hardcore branched into these toys and clothing.

Here's a link to a video teaser of a film about some of these toys.
Not condoning the film or its ideas or Kozik or whatnot but it gives some perspective:

[www.youtube.com]

I listened to punk vinyl in the 70s but its silly to see hipsters be so hardcore or metal and then basically collect dollies like that NagNagNag which started to produced with hair and outfits. WTF? I think that was around when COOP started getting involved with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2010 05:33PM by liquidsky.
Erik, I covet your Astro-Mu and Denjin Zaboga...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2010 05:34PM by liquidsky.
Warrhead Wrote:
> I really need to check out Skullbrain sometime.
> As a long time Punk/Hardcore fan and a rabid
> anti-scenester I get a chuckle out of the idea of
> Hardcore/Punk/Hipster toys. I imagine
> conversations like "Dude, Dr. Know is playing
> tonight, ya going?" "Naw, I spent all my dough on
> a NagNagNag" or whatever the fuck.

Skullbrain basically died when Isaac Ramos (who launched it) left S7.

Alot of the interesting discussion disappeared over time. You have to wade through so much noise to find anything of interesting.

Nobody seems to really collect for the long term, alot of rotating collections where kids buy the latest hyped thing to only sell it later to buy the next hyped thing. Kids who post show-off pics and then sell their collections cause they can't make their rent payment, that sort of thing.

There are some punk/hardcore types who collect Pushead handpaints which (to me) look like someone drizzled paint all over them during high school.

Just a mish-mash of people and the majority of them probably couldn't define kaiju or know where the name skullbrain came from...
I'm confused about calling collectible toys punk, since all the teenage years doing the punk thing everyone was constantly going on about DIY and such.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2010 07:24PM by Ginrai.
That Pushead is involved with toys is slightly intrigueing, but the picture that comes to my mind is basically anything by McFarlane. The Google search I did revealed some okay designs, but the paint apps I saw looked pretty decent... certainly not like drizzled paint... I am probably missing something.

Off topic, but anyone else here see a resemblance between Josh B's recent CDX shirt and Pushead's work? Is this old news to everyone but me?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2010 08:38PM by Warrhead.
Anonymous User
@Sanjeev and liquidsky-

I.K.B. = Not licensed, but arguably original designs. Hedoran Bros., Smogon 1.
Daikyou = May have been licensed from Nakaoka (Sekai no Kaiju). Zagora, Mighty.
Yonezawa = Original designs. 'Rokuron.'
Miura Toy = Original designs. 'Tetran,' 'Beralgon.'
There is no vintage Bakobaso or Deathra (I think). But the designs are based on Nakaoka's artwork.

G does not license anything as far as I know, save for Wonderfestival items. Japanese IP law or no, I find this practice questionable.

@Erik- I LOVE THOSE. They are so hard to find. I also have 3- Ranba Dom, Ranba Zaku I and the normal Zaku I. There's like 2 Gouf variations... still have yet to land that one. The vinyl is so glossy and heavy.

Designer vinyl seems accurate enough for the original designs. They are based on artwork from artists/designers, so why not?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Warrhead Wrote:
> ...I imagine
> conversations like "Dude, Dr. Know is playing
> tonight, ya going?" "Naw, I spent all my dough on
> a NagNagNag" or whatever the fuck.

Shockingly, you pretty much nailed it, Brenton! ;P

Anyway, thanks for the info, liquid. Yo, if you have better BxH examples, please post them (especially the stuff *you* like). I have no clue what's what--I just googled it and posted the first thing that came up with clear pics...had no idea it was a collaboration!

Okay, so Michael Lau is a Hong Kong hip hop head (will wonders never cease? ;) ) who created the whole urban vinyl thing? Christ...

I hear you regarding the "designer" toys monicker evoking "names" like KAWS, Pushead, or Kozik. But isn't that how this shit goes anyway? I mean, *everyone* thinks of Mori when it comes to RxH, Kiyoka-Gargamel, Mark Nagata-MaxToys, Flynn-Super7 shit...hell, even Matt Doughty and his Glyos toys.

And, hey, thanks for that clip of Toy Punks Vol 1. Heh...Mark gave me a copy years ago...and I have yet to watch it! :P Nah, but that was pretty informative. That BxH guy's a bit much, but whatever. Let him do his thing. Anyway, I just find this whole "urban" vinyl thing weird: I guess I can loosely see "urban vinyl" as a subset of "designer" vinyl where there really appears to be NO vintage Marusan/Bullmark showa kaiju influence at all. I mean, after watching that clip, I really saw NOTHING kaiju about any of that stuff. It's fine, I guess...not really my thing...but the quality of the toys is pretty undeniable (Japanese slush molded vinyl and one-by-one handpainted toys...tough to beat that).

Good gods...Isaac started skullbrain!? I've only talked with the guy online once a few years ago (bought some RFSO stuff)...but I had no idea. Anyway, I think you nailed the crux of the beef with skullbrain: addiction to what's "hot" and "now"...and then meltdown and liquidate once rent's due. I hear from some other old-timers over there that another sign of the board's downfall has been the MASSIVE recent-ish influx of kidrobot fans looking to up their "kewlness" quotient.

Daniel, thanks for the 411 on those kaiju. Weird that Gargamel doesn't license them. I coulda sworn I heard that they did. Guess not...odd. It's not like they're THAT underground.

Oh, and I'd kill for a Denjin sofubi. And I'm with Ginrai: I still have yet to see what's truly "punk" or otherwise street about any of this. :/

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
ed
Oh Sanjeev why did you point out this thread to me?

Designer vinyl....I'm with liquid on this one. It makes me think of kidrobot cheap toys that have paint flake off when you take them out of the blind box. Are they all terrible? No, probably not, but after a bunch of bad buys years ago I have no interest.
Daniel brings up a good point as they're designed by an artist though, and I can see why people would use the term.

As for the punk/hardcore thing, I think it's fascinating that a lot of us can identify with that from our youth and we all somehow ended up collecting these weird toys. Everyone I know got to skullbrain via different avenues, whether they knew about SEcret Base or BXH, or they were into hardcore and a friend turned them on to it, or in my case being interested in some fine artists and just kind of stumbling into it. These days over there, it seems like a lot of people use the punk thing as a way to make themselves seem cooler than other people. That's just what it has become.

Liquid also nailed it with people who buy something only to sell it a week later. Or they buy it, put it away for two months and when it's the "hot" thing again they flip it for a profit. I'm more concerned with the former because as LS mentioned, they need it to pay rent or something stupid. It's frivolous spending on toys that they seem to think will make them cool to internet people they don't know in real life. Weird.

I think a lot of it will implode on itself at some point, probably soon. As a lot of us who have been there for a few years can attest, there comes a point where a ton of releases come out and people buy it all up. They then dump it for half the price a couple of months later because there is just too much product out there. It begs the question as to whether these people collect, or if they're just shopping. I tend to think it's the latter.

I've pared my collecting down to three lines of figures for a while. It's easier on my brain, and it allows me to actually enjoy the things I do have.
Hmm can't really add much that hasn't been said already. I do think SB board is collapsing in a big way because of all the mentioned things above (i.e influx of kidrobot kids, overpriced hyped toys bought high and then sold cheaper went rent is due) but there is no good discussion going on there anymore. It's seems like every thread is just cheerleading and showing off expensive toys.

Also it seems S7 is catering to that watered down audience on the board. Not slagging them as it's perfect business sense for them, it's just that their line seems to be perfectly timed to sell and market to those kidrobot types. I can't really see many old school collectors or purists getting into stuff like Miltons, squirms, fire robo etc. It's almost like it was set up to hand deliver to the masses of kidrobot looking for the new trend but unwilling to delve deeper in kaiju or older styles. Just my 2 cents...

Oh and I'm tired of collecting vinyl toys somehow has to be meshed with punk rock. Yeah never did like punk (beyond the Buzzcocks) that much so pass....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2010 02:56PM by Lixx.
The whole 'designer' thing is something Sanjeev and I have argued about over and over again. To me, the only way that term applies and is interesting to me is not in who designed a certain toy, but just that a guy designed and made it pretty much all by himself. That's always been the thing that turns me on the most about non-licensed-kaiju vinyl, is that it gives people with interesting and creative ideas a way to show off and offer those designs in an 'affordable' manner (for the most part, but prices lately have just been going up and up it seems).

I'm stealing a few photos here, but the line that has interested me the most lately is Super7's Monster Family line, which is a line of about 3" tall figures with just one point of articulation, priced at $30 each, and each figure is designed by a different 'artist', and then all of the figures are sculpted by Gargamel (I think) to make the line look a little more uniform. The line has exploded lately with hype and 'hotness', but I just try to ignore that, and appreciate it for what it is: a nearly open platform for people with cool ideas to make a perfect sized hand-candy figure for putting on your shelf or messing around with while doing something else. Here's a couple of examples:

Paul Kaiju's Partyball:

Itokin Park's Garuru (far left) and David Horvath's Power Mister (far right):

Fire Robo by Jeremy Whiteaker (my current favorite):

[www.flickr.com]

I think they're sweet because each one has a unique personality and flavor, but they make a great line together. And they're cheap.

The other stuff I've been looking at lately is Henshin Cyborg suits... they're a little off the beaten path from most vinyl collections, but I think they're awesome, and have gotten me into a really wild new toy-line (for me). I'll have to take some pics of what I've got so far.

[prometheusrising.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2010 02:59PM by Prometheum5.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Anyway, thanks for the info, liquid. Yo, if you
> have better BxH examples, please post them
> (especially the stuff *you* like). I have no clue
> what's what--I just googled it and posted the
> first thing that came up with clear pics...had no
> idea it was a collaboration!

This stuff will probably get ripped over here but I don't care.
BxH isn't at the top of my list and they've released some garbage (IMO) but I can appreciate these as something different from kaiju or fight figures. Photos stolen from here and there, not mine:

DX Skull-Kun
Tribute to the Cyborg and King Waldar figures. Horned helmet and innards.
BXH Secret Base Collab:

Kumaru-Kun:

Mono Monster Family:

KAWS-Kun Mono version:

Captain Bounch:

Skull-Kun based on Frankenberry's skull:

My problem with BXH is (aside from the factory-churned look) is that they all seem so derivative. The Kun is the only original seeming design, and I don't understand the appeal at all of subverted advertising icons like Cap'n Crunch. It's like KAWs drawing X's on the eyes of things and calling them original. It's just not interesting.

[prometheusrising.net]
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Prometheum5 Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> Fire Robo by Jeremy Whiteaker (my current
> favorite):
>
> [www.flickr.com]
> 174777/in/set-72157624590106258/
>

I totally like the fire robo. Brian Flynn turned me onto it knowing I love Robocon/Robomaru/Hatchan/Morimoribokun etc. I can see it putting out fire in a Robocon episode. Right on.
ed
I've spent a bit more time this afternoon thinking about the whole "designer" toy thing and it really boils down to something I'm seeing on a lot of the boards I'm part of: fanboyism.

Nothing can be bad anymore, critiques aren't welcome, if you do critique then you get put on blast. Some of these "artists" (and in some cases I use that term really loosely) just make bad toys and put together terrible paint applications and people buy it up like it's going out of style. (Paulkaiju excluded from this of course. I really do love everything he puts out)

I'm going to try to explain a thought here. If you're a designer, you're an "artist" per se. One of the main parts of creating artwork is to be able to take a criticism and grow as an artist. I don't see that too often anymore.
How can that whole scene evolve from where it's at currently if nobody is making any criticisms?

Like Lixx said, there is no discussion anymore. It's boring. It's the same toys being rehashed over and over again. Next.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
akum6n Wrote:
> @Erik- I LOVE THOSE. They are so hard to find. I
> also have 3- Ranba Dom, Ranba Zaku I and the
> normal Zaku I. There's like 2 Gouf variations...
> still have yet to land that one. The vinyl is so
> glossy and heavy.
>

Absolutely! Here are the other two I've managed to get my hands on. Thanks to Rog, I got this awesome Gelgoog. I've never seen another.. It's really over the top with a yellow painted shield on his back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2010 03:20PM by Erik Sjoen.
Those Gundam vinyls are fantastic... they remind me of the VOTOMS vinyls I can't have :P

[prometheusrising.net]
ed
Ben, define derivative in this instance for me because I'd like to understand what you mean.

The monster line is based on the old kaibutsu kun cartoon/manga/comic whatever you would call it back then. [www.youtube.com]

I think some of those figures are the nicest examples of "designer" vinyl out there. Kid hunter is still a fantastic toy as well. It combines the love of certain things of it's creator. Ultimately, that's what it's all about at the core.

SAnjeev, you're in trouble for not watching toypunks. For those of you who don't know, there is a new version of toypunks coming out and part of the interviews are with the man who runs the obitsu toy factory where most of these are made. There is a snippet on their blog, including a nice little demo video of how they create figures. video can be seen here [vimeo.com]
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
I won't derail any further, but I DO want to quickly say that I feel like whoever is behind this Denjin thing seemingly created these sick fucking vinyls to be on par with the 1985 Z Gundam MKII "BIG" sofubi.

The Gundam is 12+ inches BTW..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2010 03:31PM by Erik Sjoen.
Well, I actually thought that the monsters were the nicest figures up there... you almost can't go wrong with classic monsters, and the interpretations there are cool. The Kid Hunter and Bounch stuff is what I think is derivative... I understand that many of these figures are influenced by things the creators like, but those guys just seem too close to the originals. To me, they look more like a licensed figure that they modified than an original design influenced by something else. Real X Head is obviously influenced by Ninja Turtles, for example, but you'd never be able to look at a specific RxH toy (at least after Head) and peg exactly what Ninja Turtle design was being aped, because the designs are influenced, but not derivative.

[prometheusrising.net]
I don't know what "designer vinyl" is but I always felt like it was more "urban" or "hip" stuff...but the lines are blurred. like, T9G has that "designer" vibe to him, but he's made some cool monsters IMO. neo-kaiju or japanese fight figs are something different to me, but for the sake of being as lazy as possible, I'll just lump them together right now.

Overall, I think the trend now is super-rare crap or the S7 stuff. I like some of the super rare/popular stuff, but not for the money ppl are asking, and not always to the point that I want to actually own it. I'm over paying big bucks for this stuff anyway--first off, I'm broke, and secondly I wouldn't want to be if I wasn't. my spending has slowed down almost to a stop for another reason; nothing moves me too much these days. I like Gargamel stuff, so I keep an eye out for a sculpt I like that I don't have that was done up in a colorway that works for me. I'm really careful about it. I don't like the idea of having a bunch of different versions of the same sculpt these days. not sure why. I like what I have--I'm just not collecting like I used to. I think I'm pretty much done with RxH. I've had a blast with that line, but I've trimmed the collection down quite a bit and I'm happy with just keeping a few things. what they're doing these days doesn't grab me at all.

There's a confession I want to make: I always felt like a lot of the S7 designs were really lame, but I like the Monster Family stuff for what it is--though I would only buy a couple of the figures if I really liked the colorway. but the mummy boy, stomp, squirm, etc doesn't do it for me at all. It seems like KR is SB's rival (maybe...I don't know), but the stuff that S7 produces seems to be the same type of thing. No biggie to me--more power to whoever can design a toy that dozens/hundreds of people want to buy. I wish I could design a "hit" toy! I just don't like what I see in the way of S7 designs mostly. And a lot of the focus seems to be on their own toys these days. just not my thing--and that's OK. it makes my exit that much easier.

I think there is still some good stuff being made in general though; Elegab, Nagx3 has a cool thing going, Gargamel, PicoPico, M1go, some colorways in RxH...
I don't think I had a clear point I was trying to make with all of this.
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> My problem with BXH is (aside from the
> factory-churned look) is that they all seem so
> derivative. The Kun is the only original seeming
> design, and I don't understand the appeal at all
> of subverted advertising icons like Cap'n Crunch.
> It's like KAWs drawing X's on the eyes of things
> and calling them original. It's just not
> interesting.

I like the simplicity of the sculpts and the quality.
The Skull-Kun with guts might be my favorite of the group.

I like and own some KAWS toys.
I think his Companions and Dissecteds are amazing.

On the flipside, I look at Gundams and I get bored.
Not saying that they're this or that, but they just don't call out to me.
Yet Mach Baron or Red Baron toys do...

Here is a KAWS Dissected if anyone is interested.
Definition of a designer toy IMO:

ed
the ultimate designer toy. It is pretty spectacular in person in my opinion.

kiriko you hit on a few more points that I think are worth noting. These days I think S7 is moving in the direction of that monster family line rather than the more traditional kaiju monsters and that's ok with me. Not all of them speak to me, but it's different tastes for everyone I suppose.
I'm also with you on rxh. I'm still not sure what it is that is making Mori release so many toys, but really, slow it down. He is a fantastic artist, really really nice guy, and made some great toys over the years. Those new wood sculpture figures are really awful, those tall figures (I don't even know what they're called) are just boring..it's the same thing over and over again and it gets old very quickly. They lost me in the great mini rxh rush....

I'd like to see more simpler paint applications, no clothes on vinyl toys unless it's Blythe or 3A, and less babbling fanboyism. Is it going to happen? Nah.
I think of S7 as more of a toy manufacturer these days. Their focus is expanding their Monster Family line of toys and the Super Shogun Stormtrooper.

I don't mind having a bunch of the same sculpts but different paints or colourways. Might make me a sucker, but I like how they look together versus a large collection of unique sculpts (way too busy for me). Not saying I don't collect a wide variety of toys, I just like some repetition or connectedness.

Except for the GhostFighter and a couple other collabs, I really haven't gotten into the S7 toy line. The Skullbrain board was named after a Secret Base figure, but it should really be rebranded as the Monster Family board to push the S7 toy line.

This is an S7 Ghostfigher if anyone is interested:

Brian Flynn did the head piece and Secret Base did the body (which is used in other toys). This one has plush innards. Flynn is a graphic designer (or was), but not sure if I view this as a "designer" toy.
Ed, you got me on the derivitive thing, so I'm gonna get you now... why do you want to see more simpler paint applications on figures? It seems to me like, while simple 'classic' style sprays can be quite effective', the simple paint apps have become sort of pedestrian.

The latest batch of Gargamel custom Zags at SDCC pretty much nailed down any and every palette swap of the same five sprays you could apply to a Zag, and it seems like that type of painting has gotten dull. I'd much rather see more complex airbrushed figures like what Paul Kaiju does, or some of the recent Blobpus figures, or Elegab's stuff. Many vinyl figures have a ton of detail, and it seems like a waste to not be touching on all that detail when painting the figures. I understand that it takes much more time, but I appreciate the figures that much more, because I know how much more work went into them, and that extra effort is worth more to me.

Take the Fire Robo for example... I have both releases so far, and they have simple and effective sprays, but neither version put any paint on the axe, so it gets lost in the side of the figure, and those gauge details are just begging for a couple tight colors on them.

EDIT: Good pic... I need one of the S7 plush-gutted Ghostfighters. The clear SB figures are the coolest.

[prometheusrising.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2010 04:15PM by Prometheum5.
ed
I don't like lots of paint globbed onto a toy. In many cases, especially with a lot of the customizers, it makes the toy look like it's sad and suffocating.
If you create a toy on a specific base vinyl, say blue for example, and cover it with so much paint that I can't tell what the original color was....not for me.
The simple sprays that mori used to do on the older figures were really fantastic. The old glow rxh with the freehand sprays, the secret base glow manti with freehand spray...those toys say something to me. When you look at it, you can see the base vinyl accented by good color selection, and when the lights are off, the paint adds nice shading to the figure in it's glow state.

Take those rub chaos, which I know you're a fan of Ben, but to me those are just awful. There are what..20 versions of it at this point? How many of those does one person need? Mix it up, there was a year where everything was a rubbed figure or bubbly vinyl.

Some of the gargamel customs this year were ok, but for the most part nothing grabbed my attention aside from a mibora or two. I picked one up last year and it's great, I should snap a photo later on.

As I mentioned before, everyone likes their own thing and that makes the hobby great, but I would love to see more of a variety of the older styles.
Well, to be fair, I only have a couple rubbed Chaoses :P The way they worked through pretty much every variation in an almost systematic manner was a bit of a turn off after the first couple. I think they were most appealing when they were new just for that reason: they were a novel way to pick up the crazy amount of detail that the Chaos sculpt actually has. 37 hundred varieties later, and I (and others) have realized that there are other, more effective ways to treat that detail. Like you said, different strokes.

[prometheusrising.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2010 04:59PM by Prometheum5.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer