[DESIGNER VINYLS] Hot or Not?

Posted by Sanjeev 
Speaking of vinyl that doesn't suck and isn't overpriced, Dead President's Cosmic Squadron are up for a new preorder:
[cosmicsquadron.blogspot.com]

You can get the standard character color, or white blanks with clear helmets. Glad to see these guys coming back.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Well, just a small modest collection. I have some CI Boys, Transformers Mighty Muggs, and Moofia.
Anyone have a lead or photo on that upcoming Bullmark repro black Mecha-G coming up at WonderFest?

Trying not to pay inflated prices and not sure if its only available there or what it looks like or..............
Sanjeev (Admin)
Got a pic of it, Peter? I haven't heard about this...is it a black version of the MFV? If so, that sounds exciting!

Anyway, hit up Mike Johnson. For stuff this, he's definitely the most reliable.
I told Sanjeev I'd post what 'we' know about the upcoming Skinner vinyl. Hate to beat a dead horse, but if a masshole wants something, better cough up.

Original concept/artwork/reference:

And what we've seen of the actual figure:

The teaser pics don't look very appealing. :/
Josh, DESIGNER thread. And yes, it looks off. It's also apparently facing 'production delays', so the SDCC exclusive version people preordered will not be there.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Waaaaaaaaitaminute...

So let me get this straight: this dude, Skinner, drew that picture above...then submitted it to Lulubell, who's "producing" (funding?) it being made and acting as the go-between for Siccaluna, the sculptor?

And Skinner originally wanted it to be a bust...but Siccaluna's doing it as a figure?

What a fucking mess. Honestly, man, if that artwork is ALL you're fucking submitting, you take what the fuck you can get. I mean, come on...I'm not shitting on the artwork (though I couldn't care less about it), but it's HARDLY proper 2D turnaround plane views necessary for sculpting. I've done plenty of CAD work based on artwork, and if that's all I got, I'd take a shit all over it and mail it back to the artist.

There's just WAY too much room for interpretation there...
Nah, it gets better. From the way things played out, Skinner wanted a bust, and had some quick two-bit sketches of how to get a bust and hands out of that design above. Luke decided that a bust was a stupid idea (which it is), and made the decision to sculpt the figure above instead, which Skinner either wasn't told or didn't realize... or something. They had this whole public and very unprofessional spat where Skinner just went off. It doesn't seem to have mattered, because every version of the toy including $600 premium packages still sold out in like an hour on the Lulubell site without a sculpt, clear picture of how the figure will look, accurate time of delivery, description of paint jobs, or anything. They actually managed to sell out of 'We promise this will look cool' at $90+ a pop.

[prometheusrising.net]
Actually 20$ - 500$ packages. :P And the 500$ got you 6 10" figures and a shirt. Considering the people involved, that's a great deal for flippers and collectors.

Regardless of all the drama, the biggest problem with the whole thing is Skinner is completely new to toys. I've read enough and watched enough of his interviews (yeah I'm a fan so I'm biased blah) to determine he's a pretty cool guy. And he has been very cool to me business and convo wise. I think he's just naive in how the whole thing is going down. He's a painter/ illustrator. Totally not a toy maker.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, if he's cool, he's cool...but this still sorta smacks of the general bullshit going on in the land of designer Japanese vinyl. Any asshole now thinks they can/should make one...then with little knowledge of the industry, bullshit like this goes down...and it all turns into a shitshow.
servbot30 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think he's just naive in how the whole thing is
> going down. He's a painter/ illustrator. Totally
> not a toy maker.

Ron English and Robert Williams come to mind as 2d painters who flopped when it came to toys.
Not saying that the Skinner thing is a flop, too soon to decide.

Reminds me of Skulltoys figures. More skulls.....zzzzzz.........
ed
Don't forget that gross Ryden toy too.

I always wished he had released some grisly rabbit figure from one of the "Bunnies and Bees" era paintings, maybe that one in the bloody apron in the "Butcher Bunny".
josh fraser (Moderator)
"Well, if he's cool, he's cool...but this still sorta smacks of the general bullshit going on in the land of designer Japanese vinyl. Any asshole now thinks they can/should make one...then with little knowledge of the industry, bullshit like this goes down...and it all turns into a shitshow."

I think that is the difference between art and design. I know plenty of "designers" who do nothing more than concept art who have no clue either how to make it, develop it in a way that is cost effective, or even remotely realistic. I had a boss who used to throw cocktail napkin drawings that looked like bananas and not shoes and expect the developer to perform magic. It is not the fault of the artist if they have no idea , as it is two different disciplines, but at the same time, that is why you learn what you can in the front end, so you avoid disasters by time of production. I think in general, there are a lot of people running around making a lot of "stuff" but no real thought behind it.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the artistic sensibility, as my background is painting and illustration, but the product side of my personality gets frustrated by the designer vinyl process I see in many instances: hand off to someone else and get annoyed if it is not what they envisioned. I feel you need to be a part of almost every step to expect anything close to the original vision. Thats a lot of work, but when you realize your creation will outlive you, it puts it into perspective and it gets people out of their headspace.
Anyone else psyched for this?

I think it looks great, but I am saving my pennies for this version, which is a ways off:

[prometheusrising.net]
servbot30 Wrote:
> Anyone else psyched for this?
>
> [i30.photobucket.com]
> s/Dualos.jpg

Yeah, this is the paint job that sold me on this figure. Unfortunately, I see no way to actually get my hands on it. Or those two GID show exclusive minis. :( Anyone going that is planning on getting extra versions of these?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2011 09:18AM by Kingboy D.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Are the Dualos' supposed to be show-exclusives? That'd be a bummer.

I wouldn't worry that much about the GID minis--I'm sure Mark will release more painted glow minis later...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Are the Dualos' supposed to be show-exclusives?
> That'd be a bummer.

Just that pink/blue/yellow version. I think the pink brings out that head's design a lot better than any other version (painted or non) I've seen. And the blue head reminds me of MechaG. Total winner in my book.
Never would have thought that was a MaxToyco figure. Can't decide which paint I like better. Probably the painted flesh as it really pops. First thing that's caught my inerest at SDCC...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Right now, I kinda feel like I like the black one better...but I'll bet the blue/pink/yellow one will be nicer in hand. My only minor gripe about this toy is that the back looks a bit plain.

Ughh, the back looks too busy for me. The neck joints bothered me initially and unpainted they bother me even more. The body seems too tubular and stiff whereas the arms and legs looked fine.

Not that I could do any better. And it's still more interesting to me than any recent American designed (but produced in Japan) toys with the exception of PK's work. The twin heads remind me of this Zollmen (can't remember the name:

which I'm not really a fan of, just not my thing...
Sanjeev (Admin)
liquidsky Wrote:
> ...The body seems too tubular
> and stiff...

Yeah, that's what I was kinda thinking: the details are busy, but the basic tube-shape is a bit plain. Reminds me of a palm tree's trunk or something...

That Zollmen toy above is called "Badzilla". No lie. If only there were some sort of award for Worst Kaiju Name EVAR. Anyway, I'm not a fan of the design either...a two-Baragon-headed Godzilla. Meh.
How much are the Dualors supposed to go for? I don't own any Max Toy stuff. Kinda want to make this my first. If I end up with a pink one, you're totally gonna paint it for me, Ben. :P
servbot30 Wrote:
> How much are the Dualors supposed to go for? I
> don't own any Max Toy stuff. Kinda want to make
> this my first. If I end up with a pink one, you're
> totally gonna paint it for me, Ben. :P

I think the clear blue blank debut release was $90, so expect painted to be more. Pretty sure the flesh/peach blanks will not be getting released blank.

[prometheusrising.net]
These are being sold through Rotofugi for $120. A little steep. But maybe that is just the standard fare for these cons. Aren't all con releases jacked up?
Kingboy D Wrote:
> These are being sold through Rotofugi for $120. A
> little steep. But maybe that is just the standard
> fare for these cons. Aren't all con releases
> jacked up?

SDCC incites a little markup, but Mark is always good about keeping his prices down, especially at shows and things. With Yen creep and dwindling demand, $110-120 is beginning to be the norm for painted standard kaiju. All those new Bullmark figures have been $110 US retail. Dualos is also a mega-chunky sculpt by all reports.

[prometheusrising.net]
120$ is quite a bit. Also I'm thinking the weird neck seams are for other figure compatibility. A smidge unsightly but I can look past it.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yikes...damn, that's pricey. $90 for a blank???

Well, here's to hoping that regular (non-con) painted releases are cheaper...

I don't mind the neck seams--they certainly stand out in a light-colored (caucasian, for example! :P ) blank, but they sorta blend away in the painted ones or darker blanks.
Unfortunately, the blank price is inline with other prices. S7 and Roto were recently selling a blank green Zagoran for $95...
Thankfully, I was spared the gene that compels one to collect designer vinyl. That said, I have about 50 or 60 pieces...nothing too wild, mostly Tim Biskup stuff, but this is one of my favorites:

Who's dat?

The designer vinyl gene isn't that bad, there's some great stuff among all of the garbage. Also something to collect while one waits a year or two for the unusual vintage to surface..
Sanjeev (Admin)
liquidsky Wrote:
> The designer vinyl gene isn't that bad, there's
> some great stuff among all of the garbage. Also
> something to collect while one waits a year or two
> for the unusual vintage to surface..

I think I need you to remind me of that pretty often, Peter. I tend to forget that often...especially when Ben sends me links to the "designer vinyl hissy-fit du jour" all the time! ;)

But, yeah, Mike...what is that thing? It kinda reminds me of those Rumble Monsters cars they did way back...
Sanjeev Wrote:
...especially when Ben sends me links to the
> "designer vinyl hissy-fit du jour" all the time!
> ;)
>

This is what vinyl collectors are being told they should like these days:

[prometheusrising.net]
Ugghhhhh nags...

I've discovered at a local anime store a Touma blind box series called Little Trickers..
[touma.biz]

So far I've got the Bonga Konga and the urban-camo Grabbit..

I really like Touma's designs.. a clash of bad ass and cute.

One day I need to get me a 18" Knuckle Bear..
eitlobsaboo, you're lucky this isn't SB. ;)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh? I thought Touma was considered "cool" over there...

Anyway, most definitely not feeling those things, but if you're digging 'em, do your thing.

Oh, and y'all obviously know how I feel about the latest Nag atrocity Ben posted...
Moving past the garbage, I think these are kinda fun and am genuinely curious to hear if typically non-'designer' collectors have any interest in them:

These are 'Monster', by Grody Shogun. Grody Shogun is Luke, the other half of Lulubell Toys, who lives in Japan. You can find more info about the plan here:
[www.lulubelltoys.com]

The jist of it is that Luke has been living in Japan and working alongside the Japanese vinyl creators and has 'apprenticed' himself under their wing. His work has an innocent crudeness to it, and seems to really be trying to rise above the pretension of a lot of this 'scene'. These Monster guys are debuting at SDCC and available at Lulubell Toys as mixed-part blanks, constituting six different characters, I think. They're 6" tall and only $25. I guess painted regularly assembled figs are to follow. As classic monster toys, they make me think of bootlegs of the old Aurora kits or something. Curious to see if any of the monster heads like Dave are interested in them at all.

Grody Shogun's first effort debuted a couple weeks ago:

"His name is Ojisan and he is a vain little Yokai (Japanese folk spirit). He’s also kinda lazy, so he made a Karakuri (edo era self-automated robots) in his own image. Actually, Ojisan spends more time setting up his Karakuri then if he went out a collected webs himself.

Ojisan is made to scale, approx 10cm. (3.5″), the actual size of an average Ojisan you’d find in any home. Both have three points of articulation and stand on their own, for the most part."

The traditional influences in these, the smaller size and pricepoint, and the rough-hewn feel make for an interesting combo. I know I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this stuff moving forward. I grabbed Oji and his Karakuri, and two Monsters for the price of one standard kaiju these days.

[prometheusrising.net]
Kingboy D Wrote:
> eitlobsaboo, you're lucky this isn't SB. ;)

Yeah... unfortunately I've experienced that place..
Soooooooo Skinner's Ultrus Bog has been revealed.

I'm pretty sure I can sculpt better than that.
servbot30 Wrote:
> Soooooooo Skinner's Ultrus Bog has been revealed.
>
>
> I'm pretty sure I can sculpt better than that.

Like Sanjeev mentioned, you would have started with better source material. I can completely see how this figure is the result of that single painting.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer