[DESIGNER VINYLS] Hot or Not?

Posted by Sanjeev 

Love the body. Head could be better.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...the googly eyes are pretty good, Jack.
I like the Pushead Skull Captains. Not at the top of my list, but a break from some of the other stuff. The Toypunks figure does nothing for me and looks cheap and lame IMO.

I also like the Bronze KxP from 5-6 years ago:

Pic stolen from somewhere.
But then I like KAWS and I like Pushead stuff. But yeah, six years later, skulls are overplayed.
liquidsky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yeah, six years later, skulls are overplayed.

Well, skull stuff is kinda everywhere and has been for a couple decades unfortunately.

More serious than thou
So I had this discussion with Sanjeev not too long ago about soft japanese vinyl and the hard chinese vinyl. As it is the soft stuff is way better quality and a smidge expensive to use. Whereas the hard is mostly crap and cheap as hell. I grew up with the hard power ranger monsters so I'm a bit bias in favour of the hard stuff. Just something about a hard chunk of monster (ha!) compared to a squishy one. Am I alone on this topic?
I like both. I have some big figures in soft vinyl and they feel somewhat cheaper than hard vinyl. I also have some smaller figures in soft squishy vinyl and they feel like gems, real quality...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Both definitely have their place. I think the pliability of the vinyl and also its surface texture (matte like a Glyos Armodoc or glossy like your typical contemporary Japanese toy) play a big role in the "feel" of a vinyl toy.

Like, even though a lot of modern Marmit Godzilla sculpts are very realistic, in hand, they're night and day different from "realistic" Bandai Godzilla figures. Both feature pretty stiff vinyl, but the glossy sheen and thick/heavy vinyl on the Marmits make them feel so much nicer (in my opinion).

Most of my Bullmarks are fairly squishy, but they just feel right. I've handled some modern standard-sized kaiju toys (like the first release Drazoran from MaxToyCo) that were a bit rubbery (from not being cooked long enough to produce thicker walls)...just didn't feel good.
How about Dream Rocket's Pegimon? The custom paint job is what really sold me on this particular figure, but in terms of the sculpt, I guess its an homage to Gigan. The chest is also reminiscent of Mogera.

Cool Myles! Simple lines, but he looks like the monster version of a twilight sky, if that makes sense?
Pegimon looks mini-proportioned.
I got this mini Tokyo Tower today, made by Secret Base, so now I can give my minis some setting.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
This was enjoyable. I guess made by Yamomark..? It certainly features one of his latest kaijin characters, BiraBiran.

These are some of the best looking Secret Base figs, with clear elements, pipe cleaners, and freehand sprays.

These are all clear 'Cyborg' versions. For toys less than ten years old they are shockingly yellowed, but that does seem oddly appropriate for Henshin Cyborg tribute figs.

[prometheusrising.net]
Just stumbled on this. [www.shopfoe.com]
Most brilliant thing RealXhead has ever made.
Sanjeev (Admin)
That's kinda neat...definitely different, and for that alone, it gets props. But I don't know if it's $65 neat, y'know?
Sanjeev Wrote:
> That's kinda neat...definitely different, and for
> that alone, it gets props. But I don't know if
> it's $65 neat, y'know?

In it's defense, it's fairly enormous.

[prometheusrising.net]
ed
I haven't posted in this thread in forever.

Some interesting discussion. the pushead pirates and captains interest me because I love pirates of the caribbean and it makes me think of being on the ride as a kid and staring at all of the details on the ride and hoping it would get stopped in a cool spot so I could stare at one area for a while.

That bonze/copper kvp is the stuff of dreams for me. That's the last KvP I need, I won't spend what people want for it though.

The secreters are incredible. Really well done toys, homages to other paint apps of course, and clear old secret base is nuts.

The kumon is a great toy, just the right size and it holds a lot of details with the way the sculpt was designed. The Agony relief one pictured is beautiful in person, I just got mine the other day and I love it.

Also in the box from D were my M1 mid sized hedorahs. All 9 of them (still missing two), absolutely insane in person..the paints on those toys are just incredible.

I have some more stuff coming in this week...I'll have to take some photos when they arrive!
Sanjeev (Admin)
If I hadn't seen your Pushead pirate figures in person, Ed, I'd probably pay them no attention. Definitely not my thing, but I dig the quality on them...

And not designer, but I NEED to see those midsize Hedorahs! Heh...I was never planning on getting them, but you talking about them has really piqued my curiosity!
You all see the info on the upcoming Skinner/ Shikaruna vinyl?
[toybotstudios.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I think I see a blurry closeup of a hand and maybe side-butt.

I also so a multi-page bitchfest regarding this toy on skullbrain that I had ZERO desire to engage with...
The bitchfest stems from Skinner commissioning a 3 piece bust over a full figure. And Lulubell 'deciding for him' it would be a figure. I'd love a bust. Everyone wants a fig. Bitch bitch bitch.
I've been assuming the whole bust/figure thing was a calculated move to generate buzz and 'controversy'. That and the fact that a bust would be super lame. That said, I'm assuming that sculpt preview is realllllllly rough, because Shikaruna toys are typically much more refined than that shot looks. Still trying to figure out the preorders with T-shirts and promises of all sorts of versions without any pictures of the finished toy. Lulubell is usually my go-to retailer, so I'm assuming much of this shenanigans is due to Skinner and his whole 'shtick', which is yet another thing designer vinyl did not need.

[prometheusrising.net]
If you read Skinner's response to the whole ordeal he truly wanted and thought a 3 part bust was being made. And its what he paid Shikaruna/ Lulubell for. The project was to be almost entirely artist run so he has total power to shut it down if the product sucks. The hype and no pics is IMO lulubells fault. The figures dont ship till almost 2 months after you make the preorder. I doubt Skikaruna even has a finished figure to show. Yet lulu wants you to preorder tomorrow anyways.
Anonymous User
Those are a lot of assumptions. I've never met Skinner and know nothing about the guy. Luke and Amy of Lulubell have always bent over backwards to help myself and other customers so I wouldn't make any snap judgments there.

I thought the concept was cool and I love Siccaluna toys, but the hype and drama (whether real or manufactured) and Skinner's attitude really put me off.
josh fraser (Moderator)
It finally happened. Bought a Neo Gorilla just half an hour ago.

[iluiluilu.exblog.jp]

I have to admit... these are really nice. The box and extras really make it feel like buying an old Boxed Bullmark. Now I just wish it was a mfv.

Damn, my vintage cred is ruined.
josh fraser (Moderator)
josh fraser Wrote:
> It finally happened. Bought a Neo Gorilla just
> half an hour ago.
>
> [iluiluilu.exblog.jp]
>
>
> I have to admit... these are really nice. The box
> and extras really make it feel like buying an old
> Boxed Bullmark. Now I just wish it was a mfv.
>
>
> Damn, my vintage cred is ruined.

Update: Well I guess my cred is safe. Apparently the checkout oversold the toy. So I just got reimbursed. I pressed the button like the second it went on sale. Man this is too complex for a toy just made. Guess I will stick with vintage.

Oh and this is the 666th post in this thread. That has to mean something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2011 04:39PM by josh fraser.
I think the original twin releases were easier to get ahold of than the Grumble version. Of course, people are acting stupid over on SB about this release.
I managed to score the GT Neo Gorilla. I guess I got lucky. I was glued to my computer determined not to miss it as I missed the last two awesome things offered by Grumble Toy (TE Gamerudon and the new Hukkokudo releases). Quite excited about it especially since I discovered it comes with one of those mini ho scale tanks. The packaging on these is amazing.

I really wish other stores would offer reprint stuff like Hukkokudo. Grumble is awesome for getting them, but they don't get many and when they sell out you miss out altogether. It's hard enough to try and find the original Yonezawa figures, so it's nice to get reprints from the original molds. I suspect it has more to do with Target Earth owning them now, not making many and not distributing much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 08:28AM by Lixx.
SuFes pics up from KK Andy: [kaijukorner.blogspot.com]

Both licensed and designer stuff, and some reallllly awesome stuff. Predictably, I'm loving this:

Adult-sized Chaos Trooper, as the Onell/Real Head aesthetic collab goes further and further down the rabbit hole. If I could be so bold as to already suggest colors, I would love to see this:

Otherwise I'll have to make it myself.

Also looking sharp is Paul Kaiju's second vinyl figure, Salamander Joe:

Not from Andy's pics, but another SuFes reveal is this bad mother:
GARAKUTAGIGAS, being manufactured by licensed mfr Atelier G-1

Arklon style, baby! This guy looks like an Ark Garamon that got left out in the rain and salvaged by pirates. It seemed like a toss-up as to whether it'd be cooler in kaiju scale (9") or Arklon scale (~6"), but they went with standard sized. Really looking forward to watching this one progress.

[prometheusrising.net]

Both Salamander Joe and GARAKUTAGIGAS look amazing. What are the odds of actually owning either of those?
I need some of these figures. Tell me how to own them.
lil Kappa dude from the above pic:
[www.shopfoe.com]
Love that enormous price mark up. Also. [rotofugi.com] Le Sigggh.
Any idea who produced the Red Barons?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Anonymous User
hillsy Wrote:
> Any idea who produced the Red Barons?

Kaijuuken.

Bit the bullet and dropped my pants for this beauty. I couldn't bear to be without her!
That belongs in the Designer thread ;) Killer figure, though!

[prometheusrising.net]
Nag.

Nag.

Nag.

[www.jeremyriad.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer