[DESIGNER VINYLS] Hot or Not?

Posted by Sanjeev 
Atta boy. I do fairly regular searches on YJA for "sunguts" and I've never seen them for auction.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
liquidsky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are overlooking the two standard Hedoran
> sculpts.
> Two different sculpts.
> Three if you include the flying Hedoran.

Ah-Ha! Okay, thanks for correcting me. TOTALLY spaced those. Thing is, though, those Hedorans are basically the same as the vintage IKB ones (or the Hukkokudo reissues)...just more rounded. Now, did these standard figures come out before the Hukkokudo reissues? That would kinda makes sense because the vintage IKBs must be hard to find. So why not produce an "homage" piece to put reasonable facsimiles in the hands of folks without access to the vintage ones.

Still, the rounded/simplified look never *quite* enticed me enough to get one. And when Hukkokudo put out their straight-up reissues, any desire for the Gargamels dried up for me.

hillsy, the reason I asked for pics was because I didn't know what the toys you listed were. I don't know most of their mini/non-kaiju stuff by name. Going through the links Matt posted...well...still not feeling their stuff, but I can totally see the homagery! And, hey, if we all liked the same stuff, this place would suck...so do your thing, kid! ;)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Ah-Ha! Okay, thanks for correcting me. TOTALLY
> spaced those. Thing is, though, those Hedorans are
> basically the same as the vintage IKB ones (or the
> Hukkokudo reissues)...just more rounded. Now, did
> these standard figures come out before the
> Hukkokudo reissues? That would kinda makes sense
> because the vintage IKBs must be hard to find. So
> why not produce an "homage" piece to put
> reasonable facsimiles in the hands of folks
> without access to the vintage ones.

Gargamel Hedorans came out before the Hukkokudo releases.
I want to say 2005 for the Gargamels and 2008 for the Hukkokudo reissues but I could be off.

I like the rounded Gargamels (but not as much as the rough IKB sculpts) especially when they experimented with clear vinyl or suspended aluminum? and all.

Hukkokudo released the reissues and it killed my interest in the IKBs (some of which I have) because IKBs are so pricy and hard to track down.
MattAlt (Admin)
"No urban vinyl mecha?
Do the ones by Rob DeCastro count? Panzer Ace and stuff?"

DeCastro's stuff is really well done, but those designs feel more "Nineties" to me. I'm talking Japanese-style Eighties robot vinyl -- stuff like this shot below.

The Mad Baron is great, too, but that's pure Seventies style. I know this sounds like splitting hairs, but every era has its own unique aesthetic signature.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 07:47PM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - reallyreal.jpg (397.5 KB)
Speaking 80s sofubi, they ever do sofubi of the Zentradi ships? I know they did the regult and battle pod. But the big space ships were awesome. Would love some of those in vinyl.
Sanjeev (Admin)
MattAlt Wrote:
> ...I know this sounds like splitting
> hairs, but every era has its own unique aesthetic
> signature.

I agree completely. I don't think that's splitting hairs at all; we've talked about this before, but I kinda see the cheesy 80's mecha sofubi minis as the last of what I would call "vintage" vinyl.

And I never really noticed it until now, but yeah, there are no modern vinyls that pay homage to these guys. Someone needs to correct this oversight...

servbot30 Wrote:
> But the big space ships were awesome.
> Would love some of those in vinyl.

I'd love to see that, too. In fact, I've thought about this before: I'd just love to see classic Marusan/Bullmark-style sofubi of a lot of famous Japanese scifi ships. Not just stuff from Macross...but the Yamato and other Matsumoto ships, capital ships from Gundam, etc.
MattAlt (Admin)
It's true: vinyl spacecraft of ANY kind/vintage are few and far between.

I suspect we'll see more Eighties-style stuff as time goes on, but never to the degree it exists for kaiju-related stuff. I think the retro-style kaiju market is driven by kaiju collectors who've gotten tired of the same old characters (though you wouldn't know it looking at eternal favorites like Hedora). I don't think that dynamic is at play as much with robot sofubi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2011 12:51AM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - whitebase_sofubi.jpg (132.4 KB)
I just recently (as in like a couple minutes ago) stumbled on something called Keshi. Are these sought after as much as normal sofubi in terms of the real robot collectors?
MattAlt (Admin)
"Keshi" are erasers. So to answer your question, no, unless you're Roger.
MattAlt (Admin)
(But that said, certain lines of keshi, like "gun-keshi" (SD Gundam pencil toppers) have a devoted following here in Japan. The Kinnikuman (MUSCLE) figures fit into that category as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see some "urban keshi" popping up in the near future.)
Ruh-roh! Have to start another Designer Eraser thread now. =)

Yeah , there have been some toy figure products of the rubber type coming out, and more I've heard being yapped about from boutique companies here in the US. Some guys are all into tinting da rubbah, and molding toppers, and MUSCLE size figs, and homage to MonsterInMyPocket. Got no links at the moment but they're on the increase.
(nope, no innuendo in the above words)
Sanjeev (Admin)
My gods, Matt, I'd overthrow a small government for that Iron Gear! You have some incredible sofu gems, man. I'm honestly not hopeful to see contemporary vinyl paying homage to 80's mecha because the market's so damn bad. If anyone's making anything, it better be something that sells. :/

Oh, and the reason I think Hedorah has been a fairly evergreen character is just the nature of the beast. When your subject's a big slimeball, different sculptors can come up with a myriad of unique sculpts that look cool and yet are *still* "Hedorah".

I love keshigomu as well...grew up on M.U.S.C.LE. figures and stupid pencil-toppers! I'd love to see some designer keshi...and now that I think about it--going back to Gargamel again--I think they actually took a shot at resin casting some tiny SD versions of their kaiju sculpts. Pretty sweet, but I don't think they ever went into full production with them...
I just won the mini robo mode Iron Gear sofu on YJA last week... didn't know there was a landship mode! Gorgeous.

It seems like cheapie sofubi was be perfectly suited to hideous crap like the Zentraedi ships, or other spaceships and whatnot... they'd likely be less parts than a robot figure, like the two you posted, and they'd be perfect for zooming around and smashing together.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.

Hot and Hotter...

Hottest.

Up top is the new Max Toy Co Alien Xam mini painted by Mark along with some other good stuff. The Argus mini is perfect... just a hair taller than everyone but Drazoran, and the three eye stalks look killer. A feat of vinyl engineering from the look of it. Plus, flying post, exactly the right level of detail for a mini, great surface texture, and as an added bonus, he is mostly 'flat', so he is a perfect pocket-rider figure!

Below is the 12" Marusan Kikaida that came out at the end of last year. It's articulated at the elbows for battle poses, and features a clear Henshin Cyborg-style head that fits over a super-detailed inner robo head. Gorgeous, big, and fun to play with... they apparently sold tits, so you should still be able to find them. He is all sorts of funky, but will not look out of place among Henshin Cyborg or other 12" figures, I don't think. In the pic above he is posed with 3A's Cherry Shadow figure, and his hand is totally on her ass.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> they apparently sold tits...

You say some weird ass shit sometimes.

Anyway, that Kikaida isn't designer, but it's definitely cool as hell. The emo chick? Ugh...terrible. Wood should stick to robots.

Love the Argus mini...looks like another winner from Max Toy Co!
Kikaida probably could go in the Modern Thread... i'll throw another shot up there for people who don't check this thread.

While they're not vinyl, I love the Ashley Wood character figures. They have an awesome design sense to them and are really full of character, something many modern non-licensed figures these days lack. Obviously the emo schtick thing is not for everyone, but if you like all that, then these are an awesome representation of that. It doesn't hurt that the quality of the figures themselves is usually second to none for the price and style.

Argus mini, I agree is truly awesome. The only thing that bugs me slightly is that the fingers do not have the molded eyelid detail to make them obvious as eyes like on the fullsize. Super minor, and totally irelevant, though.

[prometheusrising.net]
Just some shelf shots. Had a couple additions and removals, so I reorganized a bit.

Mostly humanoid kaiju on one side:

Monstrous kaiju on the other:

And some heat in the middle:

I love how colorful and varied they are, but you can really start to see how much I focus on blues and greens with my figures.

[prometheusrising.net]
I JUST WON A MAD BARON! LIFE IS AWESOME!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Which'un?
cae
<!-- Thread Derailing Jackass from Hell -->

whenever I see "I won a ... " used I am initially confused into thinking the item was a prize in a contest or something.

It seems so wrong to use it in the auction context. I guess it makes sense but I just don't like it.

If being willing to throw down more money than someone else is "winning" (banish those images of Sheen from your head, willya?!?) then what is it I am engaging in at the supermarket - just a series of sad "gimmies"?

<!-- /Thread Derailing Jackass from Hell -->

hassenpfeffer
Sheen is my idol.

[prometheusrising.net]
hot? i like it.

Sanjeev (Admin)
I actually handled one of those recently at Ed's--his buddy, Dennis (Baikan) from skullbrain makes those. Generally, whenever one of "us" makes a toy, its score goes up in my mind. I'm just kinda lukewarm on this guy, though. I *do* like that when you lay him down on his stomach, he looks like a tarantula--groovy effect. But overall, the sculpt seems a bit too smooth/basic for me...kinda like your average Gargamel toy (not that I dislike everything that Gargamel makes...).

Vinyl aesthetic, but in bronze for $300 a pop. I don't get it.

For designer stuff that doesn't suck, I got and painted up this Sunguts Queen Yulisis the other day:

The tentacles are multiply articulated, and the head shell turns to reveal three different faces. It's a big, chunky piece that takes up a lot of space. Like most Sunguts pieces, I think it does a really great job of balancing some cutesyness in the overall shape with a strong classic kaiju aesthetic in the details. It's got nods of Chibull in it, but the definite squid biology really sets apart to me as a unique tentacle-y kaiju that will look great against Bullmarks and M1s like Chibull and Gezora, as well as modern stuff like Elegab's Oil Shock.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
To say that the skull thing was "not for me", would be an understatement. I'll leave it at that.

I'm not really feeling the Sunguts figure, either. I love the concept of the poseable tentacles...but it's just too cute and too big for me. For some reason, in my brain, cutesy shit should be mini. If that Sunguts figure were 2-3", I'd probably dig it. But for now, I'd rather just have an M1 Chibull or any Gezora toy (in ST scale).
That sunguts is marvelous! Could you show us the other two faces?
I gotta agree with Jack. From the glazed glass look to the cool design, I really dig that Sunguts toy. How much do these typically run?
As for that bronze thing, I guess it's an attempt to bring the financial absurdity of the art world to the toy world.
Thanks, guys. Here's all three faces of the Queen:

There's the doll eyes, the mean scary teeth, and what I painted as a mono-eye but now strongly suspect is a vagina.

Sanjeev- you do realize that there *was* a mini of this guy, right? Most of Sunguts figs are cuter-styled minis, so I'm not sure why this one got the upgrade, but if you compare it to the mini...

You can see it got significantly 'de-cute-ified'. Aside from the smooth head/shell area, which is biologically pretty accurate, it is not too cutesy of a sculpt. The tentacles and in between the head area have pretty good texture and detail. That said, I do really need a Gezora to go alongside it. Have to add that to the Bullmark 'list'.

KD- There's a pretty nicely painted Queen Yulisis on Grumble Toy for $95, which doesn't seem too bad for the shear amount of material and separate parts on this guy. She's still standard-sized height, but pretty huge around.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> Sanjeev- you do realize that there *was* a mini of
> this guy, right?

I'm not at all sure why you would assume that.

> ...the smooth head/shell area, which is
> biologically pretty accurate

What could this possibly mean??? LOL

Anyway, given the prices of designer vinyl these days, I'd say $95 was pretty good for this thing. The toy does absolutely nothing for me, but you could do a LOT worse these days for $95...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Prometheum5 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> > ...the smooth head/shell area, which is
> > biologically pretty accurate
>
> What could this possibly mean??? LOL
>
> Anyway, given the prices of designer vinyl these
> days, I'd say $95 was pretty good for this thing.
> The toy does absolutely nothing for me, but you
> could do a LOT worse these days for $95...

Real life squids have smooth heads, so the figure makes sense. It isn't cutesy and smooth like a bland design, it's smooth like a well-thought out kaiju of an actual organism.

[prometheusrising.net]
"but now strongly suspect is a vagina."

I think you're going to need to hold it up next to the real thing, to be sure.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
That dark paint job on the Grumble toy one does nothing for me and kills the figure, IMO. Boring. Now your paint job, Ben, on the other hand (which I've learned via a web search is a custom job), sells the figure. Seeing your pics makes me NEED that figure. Freakin fantastic job! Now that I would buy!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2011 10:00AM by Kingboy D.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> To say that the skull thing was "not for me",
> would be an understatement. I'll leave it at
> that.
>

Can anyone do anything that doesn't have a fucking skull on it anymore? Jesus, I'm sick to death of skull-related "indie" art. And thus my rant on skull BS.

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
> Sanjeev Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > To say that the skull thing was "not for me",
> > would be an understatement. I'll leave it at
> > that.
> >
>
> Can anyone do anything that doesn't have a fucking
> skull on it anymore? Jesus, I'm sick to death of
> skull-related "indie" art. And thus my rant on
> skull BS.

I'm right behind you on that one. Skulls are over-fucking-played.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, flip the script then...can anyone come up with a designer vinyl with skulls featured in the design that doesn't suck?

This is Pushead's "Skull Captain":

It does nothing for me, but I don't dislike it for any reason pertaining to the presence of the skull. Like, he's a long-dead pirate...of course, he's gonna have an exposed skull. To me, that's somehow okay.

Overall, of course, I have no interest in a long-dead pirate toy. Unless it's Lego or something...

What else..?

Skull? Check.

I'm pretty much in the same place on the Pushead fig... it's nicely made for what it is, but the subject does nothing for me. I'd still have a lot more respect for someone dropping hundos for one of Pus's HP Pirates than the Skullwalker Bronze...

[prometheusrising.net]
While we're still on the topic, here's a pic that doesn't suck:

[prometheusrising.net]
Yamomark is making an incredibly cool seahorse man. He looks like a kamen rider villain. A must have!

[www.flickr.com]
I saw that, Jack. Looks great, and I know my kids will love that sculpt! (No, I'm not dropping this kinda coin on a play toy for my kids, but I do display my kaiju in one of their rooms and they love them.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer