Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's true. I wonder why that is...placed like
> Grumble Toy and others used to be pretty good
> about getting the latest Toygraph stuff. Honestly,
> just to guarantee I score the few items I really
> want, I just buy direct from Y!J...

@Sanjeev
Toygraph is actually one of the organized companies that offers up what he would like shops like us to carry. I still at the vary leased offer up what he offers as a pre-order. It would be nice to order a bit of everything, but more and more it's way safer to go the pre-order rout.
The recent GID Matango wasn't offered as I think it sold out at the event. I would have loved to have gotten that one in.

I'll try to avoid to much shop talk over here, but Sanjeev, ToyboxDX-ers, feel free to let me know if there is something you are trying to get your hands on. I don't typically ask Toygraph for items they don't offer, but when I have they have been fine about it.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...I didn't realize you were that "Chris"--one of the folks who runs Grumble Toy. Welcome!! And thanks for the info...it's good to get the perspective of someone who's actually thriving as a retailer in hobby (as well as someone who shares the love for these toys!).

By all means, talk shop as much as you like. I mean, as long as you're actually participating in the conversations and not just looking to peddle your wares, it's all good.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Haha...I didn't realize you were that "Chris"--one
> of the folks who runs Grumble Toy. Welcome!! And
> thanks for the info...it's good to get the
> perspective of someone who's actually thriving as
> a retailer in hobby (as well as someone who shares
> the love for these toys!).
>
> By all means, talk shop as much as you like. I
> mean, as long as you're actually participating in
> the conversations and not just looking to peddle
> your wares, it's all good.

Well, I'll keep it to a minimum regardless. Like a few of the new members here I'm looking for a closer community and to expand my knowledge about this hobby.

I have a question right now actually.
Anyone know if the Gatcha-Mecha Gargamel toy (one of my favorites)

is based off of:

Ah, that Chris! I got the Sarumon you painted for the show and LBs a while back... it's a beauty. I should take some pics for the thread.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Cool, thanks. I'd love to see some pics! I'm a bit of a crappy photographer so it would be nice to get a good pic for the old archives!
I have no official info on the gachamecha inspiration, but Robodachi HAD to have been an inspiration. The first time I saw these, that's exactly what I thought of. Plus, Gargamel is pretty heavy on the "homage", in general.

And *I* have no problem pimping grumbletoy...great service and great toys. And Chris is ok, too. ;)

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
I'm sure Matt would know better as he chills with those guys, but it's not to far off. There are others outside of Robodatchi that have a similar look. I believe there was a Dr Slump Toriyama creation that was pretty popular back in the day that looked quite similar. Only reason I say that is that Dr Slump was WAY more popular than Robodatchi. I'll have to dig that for a pic of that though.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I've handled a Gachamecha once, and while it's tough to say *for certain* what the main influences are, I noticed a lot of 8-bit Nintendo designs worked into the details of the sculpt. I forget most of them now, but I definitely recall the original controller sculpted on his ass!
ed
Haha...I never noticed the controller, but seeing as they got license to release those Nintendo Mario reproductions for that festival this year, and the Ghosts n goblins before, I think the video game references play a big part of their designs.
As an aside, is it Wonderfest where the companies grant one day licenses? I never remember which one it is.
Anonymous User

I'm sure I had text to go with those numbers at one point.
Daniel, you tease.

I'd forgotten about the Nintendo controller details. I wouldn't be surprised if Gargamel pulled from various media for inspiration.

Oh, and good point, Ed, about the one day licenses they've done related to gaming.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 12:26PM by hillsy.
akum6n Wrote:
> [farm4.static.flickr.com]
> 026ee63.jpg
>
> I'm sure I had text to go with those numbers at
> one point.

Text for Those Mysterious Numbers
ed Wrote:

> As an aside, is it Wonderfest where the companies
> grant one day licenses? I never remember which one
> it is.

Yes on Wonder Festival.
Unpainted Nintendo Mario was released at WF 2010.
Mark Nagata finally put up lots of pics of the test shot for his next figure, Alien Argus, sculpted by TAG (Toygraph?) I, for one, cannot wait.

[prometheusrising.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2010 08:18PM by Prometheum5.
Double post, but I put up some new pics of my own tonight, and wanted to separate that from Mark's new figure. These are part of what's been keeping me entertained since they came:

Armored Blobpus GID. Gorgeous glow vinyl with a special set of resin battle armor for the fearsome blob.

Yamazakura Devil Mermaid. This is the first release of this figure, and I think it’s awesome. Fight figure sized with a great pose, detail, and design!

Elegab Oil Shock. Another unbelievable standard-sized kaiju from Nari… huge size, fantastic articulation, and a sculpt jam-packed with detail and character.

[prometheusrising.net]
Hot.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'd probably have to check out that Oil Shock in person...

I've never actually handled an Elegab figure, but I find them pretty interesting. I'd be interested to see how they are.

The Blob does absolutely nothing for me. I'm not sure what people see in that sculpt. I mean, I kinda dig the standard Blobpus sculpts (remember when Daniel put me on to Dokugan for the first time?), but the lil squat chubby guy doesn't interest me.

As for Yamazakura, I don't think I've ever been impressed with a single one of their sculpts. They just seem like watered down Real x Head figures.

Finally, Mark's Argus. I think it looks pretty awesome! I love the Japanese style of sculpting where there's sort of a mix of surface textures in the same figure. I think it'll probably look pretty killer in a more classic kaiju sense with free-hand sprays. Also, the articulation looks great, which'll probably make for fun finger-candy.
I've always thought the Blob was neat... I painted that one way back for the contest, and had fun messing with it, but never grabbed another one to keep after that one made its trek to Japan. When I saw the pics for this one, I was immediately hooked, and scrambled to find a way to get it out of SDCC. It's a great size to mess with, and I like the squishy look of it. The resin armor is also really well done, and fits on snugly and securely. The only thing that bugs me is how the big skull 'shoulder guards' block the big head movement in many positions. They look rightly protective the way they are, but if I had sculpted the armor, I would have angled them out just a bit more so they didn't restrict movement.

The Yama guy is also really neat... I totally agree about his other sculpts. Rich AKA LASH just released an awesome looking pair of collab painted figures of the earlier Yama sculpt, but the actual figures are still just so boring and uninspired looking. The Mermaid is the first Yama sculpt that feels 'finished'.

[prometheusrising.net]
I love the original Blobpus sculpt. Recently picked up the 420 on after four years of looking for one. Not sure about the armored one. Might pick one up if I found a deal on one. Something about the tentacles, the sewn up eyes, the cryptic back stroy. Also one of the first contemporary sculpts that I started collecting.

The Elegab is huge. I like his sculpts more than other new stuff like Shikaruna Kobe's work. I don't have one in front of me, but I recall feeling the quality was okay but didn't match say the work of M1 or other companies. I'd like to see it in a clear blue and painted up.

I've bought some early Yamazakura when I was bored and nothing else was grabbing me. They're okay, I like them primarily for the paint.

Rich/Lash's work does nothing for me. Also don't care for alot of the rainbow paint schemes that have been showing up in the last year or so. Just not for me.
So is the 420 Blobpus something weed related or is it sporting a black trenchcoat or something?

That Alien Argus and Oil Shock Elegab are tempting me to go to the dark side. ...must, resist...
The 420 comes with a cannabis header and has a metallic green paints.

For two guys who started Super7, Nagata and Flynn have really gone in different directions with regard to toy sculpts. I have some of Mark's early Kikaidas, but been trying to ignore the other work as I can't collect another line.
Another designer vinyl?

Anraku's Drunk Boy:

I always thought Blobpus would look cool if it had real Ultra kaiju proportions, not the Schmoo-like physique it has. Then he made the big full-sized version (forgot the name) and I thought it still looked silly. At least it doesn't wear pants. ;p

I always thought TTToys' monsters were kind of cool looking but after I got a couple I was disappointed. A while back I had an idea for a vinyl toy that would be two different monsters based on how you posed it, looks like they did just that:

[tttoy.blog.shinobi.jp]
ed
I've been avoiding picking up blobs for a long time now, it's been really, really difficult to avoid. I like the old style, adding the weapons and armor seems really strange to me though. Dokugans don't do much for me, but I was very tempted when those animal versions came out.

Yamazakura does nothing for me, but that figure you posted reminds me of the naga from warcraft for some reason. It's interesting, but I don't think I'd buy one.

I don't buy Max Toy stuff, but I do like that new sculpt. It looks like there are a lot of details that willbe brought out with appropriate paint applications. The hands look a little too big for the body, but that might be on purpose.

The one company I'm debating getting into is Yamomark. That guy is making some really awesome toys these days...it's very tough to stay away.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, so Peter, did you mean that the little squat Blobpus came before the larger standard-sized ones? That'd be interesting. I didn't even know the squat one existed for a *while*!

That might be part of why I don't like it. That "Christmas" Dokugan was the first Blobpus toy I ever saw (and bought). The second I bought was the Super7 Lask Kaiju that I talked about here. Years later when I saw the midsize Blob, I just though they were trying to make the LK "cute" by making a super-deformed version...which sorta killed the allure for me (plus, I tend to only like ST-sized kaiju toys).

Anyway, I kinda dig the idea of resin weapons and armor...just from a play perspective. But I kinda don't like the execution. The sculpt is kinda messy and indistinct. Eh well.

As for the other stuff mentioned, yeah, I think I'm starting to respect Elegab's work more than Shikaruna Koubo. Elegab's concepts are wild and intriguing...and yet, I've never bought any of his toys. It always seems like I see his artwork, my mind is blown, then I see the sculpt of the toy, and I feel a little let down. Like I said, the concepts are always great, but the execution as a toy almost never impresses me enough to branch out and get one. The closest I've come is the Tunneler, which we've discussed...

As for Shikaruna, a lot of his stuff just looks to realistic for me. Like, his Kappa is too tall and lanky (and he's got a couple other figures like that...Madalla, or something?). His Igarl is okay. But, y'know? His four-armed Zag is absolutely divine.

Regarding Max Toys, I like the stuff he's doing. Heh...I even picked up a glowie set of his mini figures! They're really damn fun! Anyway, I know Dream Rocket is doing the sculpting on a lot of his stuff...I'd love to see more from them. Their Balbagon and Gazura blew me away. And speaking of Dream Rocket/Max Toy Co, I assume you guys saw this:

Gorgeous!

I never really liked those TTToys figures. Neat concept, but I just don't need weird amoeba-looking toys! Similarly, Anraku figures often don't do anything for me. It's been neat learning a little about them through Ed and checking them out in person, but I haven't been interested enough to pick one up (especially at the prices they go for!).
Wow, never saw a green Drunk Boy before. But I don't really like that color scheme too much. The yellow one is phenomenal, though. Truly one of my favorite designs out there! I like that Anraku drill thingamajig too, but WTF is up with the female gorilla toy? Such a strange and diverse lineup from Anraku. The price tag is insane, though.

I'm with Sanjeev. That Blobpus does nothing for me. I think any SD type design kills it for me. But I really dig the Dokugans.
Anonymous User
- The appeal of the original Blobpus sculpt, for me, is that it was pretty clearly influenced by the Dogu from ancient Japan:

[en.wikipedia.org]

This was discussed on SB a long time ago, but may be worth noting here as well.

- I am actually pretty keen on Yamazakura and Mirock right now. Mirock is a wood sculptor and Yamazakura works on kabuki theater design, from what I have been told. Both represent an infusion of traditional Japanese culture into the RxH/vinyl world, which is an effort that I truly appreciate.

Yamazakura's sculpts are fantastic on their own; very fluid and full of subtle detail:

Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh. Y'know, I never made the Doguu connection with Blobpus. The skulls and tentacles musta thrown me (way the hell) off! I can see it now, though. Fortunately, Marmit put out their lovely "real" Doguu:

I like the idea of infusing classical Japanese culture into these toys, and I didn't know those things about Yamazakura and Mirock...but those Mirock Real x Head figures don't do much for me:

Speaking of traditionally-inspired stuff, Daniel, what do you think of Lash's Sludge Demon?

I tend to gravitate to yokai and yokai-inspired toys, and while this is not based on any particular spook, I actually think it's kinda neat.
Anonymous User
Not a fan. Lash is a talented sculptor and painter, but I don't care for his source material. That's about all I will say on a public BBS.
ed
I'll say something a little more Daniel, I don't mind.

I think that little toy with the face is terrible. It looks like something I would have won at the Marshfield Fair when I was a kid, throwing darts to pop balloons.
It has not playability to it, it's ugly (to me), and the fact that he puts hair through the chin on some of them is just plain strange to me.

As for the other stuff he does, the big figure looks like a re-hash of a two headed bemon, and that's not original and interesting to me. I won't go too far into it, I just like to speak my mind about some things.

the drunk boy is great! I'm looking forward to the new version I ordered this week :)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hehe...guess I'm alone on the Sludge Demon! :P

Nah, but the hair on some of them is pretty weird...and unappealing. But again, the yokai fan in me, prompted me to pick up the glowie LASH did with Velocitron.

Anyway, back to Blobpus for a moment...I just caught the latest collaboration:

Gotta say...I'm not a fan. Looks too realistically goofy, if that makes any sense. Reminds me of Slimer...just with a completely inappropriate body.

Oh, and before I forget, Ed, you gotta post pics of your Anraku's! I've only seen a couple. I'd love to see more.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Huh. Y'know, I never made the Doguu connection
> with Blobpus. The skulls and tentacles musta
> thrown me (way the hell) off! I can see it now,
> though. Fortunately, Marmit put out their lovely
> "real" Doguu:

Never knew that connection, either. Doesn't change my view of the toy, but at least I understand it more.

I kinda dig that new Blobpus ^ , but I think they should have skipped the giant tongue, or at least just made a short one protruding straight out. I do like the eyes and all. That upper lip is a bit much too. Looks like some of the Hollywood mistakes. :P
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...too much collagen???
That new Blobpus sculpt is, uh, yikes. Looks like something that should be in the gift shop at Warner Brothers Studio or something. I like the body but with the original head. This is far too busy and demanding attention for my taste.

I was thinking about playability.
When you compare vinyl to diecast etc, vinyl really can't compete. Some articulation but otherwise stands there. No wheels (except for M1 trikes), no missile launchers, no swappable parts (for the most part). No sparkers. No talking. No nodding etc.
It's a two way street. Vinyls may not have the gimmicks some die-cast robot toys have, but they're also much more durable. There are plenty of robot toys that can break pretty easily right out of the box, or even while they're in the box.

Plus, there are some vinyls with cool gimmicks like magnets in the hands, glow-in-the-dark, or temperature-induced color change. And there are vinyl talkers, sparkers, bubble blowers, etc.
Roger Wrote:
> Plus, there are some vinyls with cool gimmicks
> like magnets in the hands, glow-in-the-dark, or
> temperature-induced color change. And there are
> vinyl talkers, sparkers, bubble blowers, etc.

True. Good points, I was mixing up diecast and vinyl when thinking about talkers and sparkers etc. Probably cause I've never handled them and they seem unusual to me.

Also, vinyl is durable but the paint or surface treatments less so. Paint chipping, cracking, etc plagues some releases. Is that seen in the diecast world?
liquidsky Wrote:
> Roger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Plus, there are some vinyls with cool gimmicks
> > like magnets in the hands, glow-in-the-dark, or
> > temperature-induced color change. And there are
> > vinyl talkers, sparkers, bubble blowers, etc.
>
> True. Good points, I was mixing up diecast and
> vinyl when thinking about talkers and sparkers
> etc. Probably cause I've never handled them and
> they seem unusual to me.
>
> Also, vinyl is durable but the paint or surface
> treatments less so. Paint chipping, cracking, etc
> plagues some releases. Is that seen in the diecast
> world?

Oh, sure. Paint is prone to chipping on even the nicest die-cast parts. Newer toys with printed details can be susceptible to scratches and wear as well. Paint on toys is, unfortunately, never indestructible. Vinyl is more abusable in general than diecast or plastic, but they both have their advantages. I've started dipping my toes into vintage MFV, and really wish that would make a comeback. I've talked to Mark Nagata about it, as he has a robot design buried in his early artwork and header cards that would make a great MFV, but he says it's just too expensive to pull off right now. I also think that there's plenty of room for vinyl to be 'fun to play with' with even just minor smart design choices, like Elegab and all his mini compatibility with the larger figures. Matt Doughty's even created a 'transformable' vinyl with his new Rig for the Onell series.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Regarding the issue of condition, I've been noticing something funny lately: when it comes to vinyl, I don't mind a few scrapes, scratches, and rubs in the paint. Well...on vintage vinyl, anyway. You really should expect that anyway--finding a mint paint job isn't easy! But it actually doesn't bother me at all.

Now, flipping the script, when it comes to diecast, I *always* try to get stuff that's as dead mint as possible. Pristine paint, unblemished chrome, complete accessories, etc. The exact opposite of vinyl. Hell, like Ben, I actually prefer writing on the feet: it doesn't bother me in the slightest that it's there, and it makes the damn things cheaper for me! ;)

But yeah, when it comes to "playability", it's all in the eye and imagination of the beholder. Humans evolved playing with (literal) stick figures held together with twine. Gimmicks are nice, but they're not *necessary*. It all comes down, in my opinion, to whether or not a particular toy (vinyl or diecast) inspires your imagination.

I mean, hell, My Little Ponies have ZERO points of articulation, but ya don't hear Alt complaining one bit! :P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer