[DESIGNER VINYLS] Hot or Not?

Posted by Sanjeev 
Blobpus sculpted the new head, and I believe painted that.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Are you fucking kidding me? Wow...so I guess I was right when I said it looked like different people had sculpted the different parts of the toy. Yeesh...
The Blobpus guy seems so hit or miss. I like the original Blobpus sculpt and the last Kaiju sculpt, but nothing much after that.

This is a Amapro Touchuka that I think is kinda interesting:

pic stolen from GT
When strawberries go bad?

That Ollie paint job is ass.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I saw that Amapro toy this morning (via Grumble Toy as well)...I definitely dig it, but it's not something that would fit with anything I have. I really like their sculpts, in general--very abstract. I have their King Shisa and it's pretty brilliant.

Anyway, I agree on Blobpus. I like his paint work (even if he uses the same damn palette every time he paints someone else's toy), and the Last Kaiju sculpt is awesome, but some of his stuff is pretty meh. The latest standard-size kaiju head with the big toothy grin is pretty stupid.
ed
When talking about the sculpt, I was more referring to the original and not the one with the Blobpus head.

I think the head was the only piece that was sculpted by the person who put it out.

Nothing wrong with that, but this discussion came up with some friends when we were talking about that horrible kickstarter project that crashed, and which could provide for an interesting debate.

In my opionion, the body for that ollie toy is a complete rip on the 2headed bemon/"famous monsters" monster toy. Yamomark and multiple other companies, bemon included, have attached a ball and chain to their toy, scarves on rxh, the list goes on and on. I guess it comes down to where you actually get to take credit for ideas.
If you blatantly rip off that many other people's ideas, is it still your own "toy"?

I'm being a bit harsh, but I know you folks actually provide valid feedback and I won't be shouted down as a hater. I'm not a hater, I'm just critiquing a toy/toy line that has multiple flaws in my eyes.
HATER!!!!
I don't necessarily see the resemblance between the two-headed Bemon and the Ollie, but I trust you.

In terms of copying ideas, there are just so many combinations or possibilities for monsters that all will likely have some part take from a predecessor. From the Ultraman and Kamen Rider villains, through the sentai ones, to modern new toy creation designs, you can probably find an influence for most anything new. I guess its all a matter of degree. Or maybe its a matter of approach. Stealing ideas versus homage. But who's to say which is which?
ed
I think there is a difference between paying tribute to something like copying a paint job, I'm ok with things like that. The classic "garamon" colors come to mind.
I'm ok with influences too, there are just too many of the same ideas copied here.
If it were more original I wouldn't "hate" on it at all.

You don't see the similarities? Size, ball and chain, crude similarities of the arms and legs, height, and the red release...I could go on for a while.

eh..to each their own...not for me though.
ed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> You don't see the similarities? Size, ball and
> chain, crude similarities of the arms and legs,
> height, and the red release...I could go on for a
> while.
>

Sorry, I see what you are saying. I was not too familiar with the Bemon and didn't realize it also included a ball and chain.

In terms of size, on a side note, I think that is great that new products are coming out in such large sizes. To me, I much prefer larger toys with bigger presences. When I received my Dragigus and Drazorus from Mark, I was floored at the massiveness of them both. Getting a near giant sized vinyl for the price of a standard sized one is a great example of getting your money's worth (see OT thread). Thanks, Mark!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2011 04:49PM by Kingboy D.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, Ollie is totally the 2HB. It's the whole Western ogre/giant style. I mean, you never see that anywhere in quite the same aesthetic in Japanese kaiju. Along comes Bemon who reproduces the cover of an old (Western) magazine featuring preproduction artwork from Jack the Giant-Killer in Japanese vinyl form. Then in comes this guy who genuinely loves the 2HB and wants to make his own version of it...then, BAM...totally derivative. Meh.

There's definitely a spectrum between "rip off" and "homage", but usually "homage" entails blending a number of different elements to synthesize something fresh. Some of the Ollies have fucking RxH-style scarves on them. That's a direct copy of RxH; there's absolutely NOTHING fresh about that.

That said, I don't really bother hating it. I've just come to terms with the Japanese vinyl market tanking (despite what some Kool Aid-drinking folks might try to tell you): Japanese vinyl factories that previously had their doors closed to non-Japanese are now more than willing to entertain *any* Westerner's vinyl sculpt...because they simply need the cash. "Kaiju" indeed. Well what can ya do?
Sanjeev Wrote:
> That said, I don't really bother hating it. I've
> just come to terms with the Japanese vinyl market
> tanking (despite what some Kool Aid-drinking folks
> might try to tell you): Japanese vinyl factories
> that previously had their doors closed to
> non-Japanese are now more than willing to
> entertain *any* Westerner's vinyl sculpt...because
> they simply need the cash.

This is what depresses me. I definitely feel that the vinyl market is spread too thin and that there's too much junk out there versus say five years ago. So I just focus on what I like and TRY to reduce my exposure to what I consider junk. But then here I am posting this Ollie stuff over here...

Still alot of amazing contemporary vinyl work, but IMO its from a couple years ago and it has some history or homage or broke some ground. I don't collect PK's work (spread too thin myself) but what he's doing is much more inspired in my view for western stuff.
liquidsky Wrote:
>
> This is what depresses me. I definitely feel that
> the vinyl market is spread too thin and that
> there's too much junk out there versus say five
> years ago.
>

The sheer volume of new stuff is astounding. The kaiju blogs seem to have several new entries a day! I guess a lot of it is just new colorways (is that they correct term? lol) of the same items, but its new release after new release. On the opposite end of the spectrum, robot lovers scrounge boards for news of something new or progress on a 6 month old announcement or blueprint!! There's just plenty of bot talk on the forums on what they would like to see or anticipated problems with the engineering of an upcoming release, as opposed to talk of another actually issued kaiju toy!
I'm a little late to the discussion, but I thought I'd chime back in on the Ollie. I own one, painted on white vinyl in Frankenruge colors (a favorite of mine), with some really great shading and multiple tones of each color. I agree that the head and body don't quite match as well as they could, and in reality the head is my least favorite part of the design. I also agree that the 2HB influences are there. Where I disagree is that I don't think it's a horrible move. It might not be the most original idea artistically, but it's a damn smart business move. The 2HB is an awesome toy, but it's nearly impossible to get and far too expensive when you can. It's a really interesting toy, based on a classic garage-kit/monster illustration. Unfortunately, what should be a really popular and collectible toy that could totally bridge the gap between JP monster enthusiasts and American garage kit classic monster fans has instead been scooped as one of the most hard to find hipster-cred toys. Where Ollie fits in is as a 'next best thing' for cheap collectors who want something in the same vein as the 2HB, without breaking the bank. Based on its popularity and instant sales, it's a viable model, too. Olle is a massive toy with neat details, painted very well. I would easily go so far as to say the paint on the best versions is stronger than the sculpt. It gives collectors an alternative to the 2HB that delivers on the same appeal of having a huge, chunky ogre toy, just without the historical connection that the 2HB has, not that most of the people buying 2HBs likely even know that connection.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I like Siccaluna Koubo's Genju Gaezal better:

It's far more coherent a sculpt, in my opinion. It's kinda ogrish. And it's VASTLY cheaper and easier to find than an Ollie (and how's Ollie supposed to be for "cheap collectors" again???).
Sanjeev Wrote:
(and how's Ollie
> supposed to be for "cheap collectors" again???).

$150 retail, ~300 aftermarket for Ollie, $1000 minimum for a 2HB.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I guess. I got my 2HB on Y!J for a little over $400...and even then, I thought I was a moron.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I guess. I got my 2HB on Y!J for a little over
> $400...and even then, I thought I was a moron.

Sure, but that price no longer exists on the open market.

[prometheusrising.net]
Speaking of robots, iluilu Goertz Weapon Brain & Dr. Goertz

ed
I think the new ILu Ilu toy is nice. The omake (?)/mini that comes with it looks like it has an astro mu hand attachment on a figure that looks like a Pushead drawing. WEird, but cool. In the right hands, this figure could have promise.

The one drawback to the Ilu Ilu photos is that it doesn't show the scale of just how small the larger figure is. I was a bit disappointed with how small the gorilla was when I received it. I still love the toy and the detail on it, I don't think I would have spent as much on it as I did though (US retail, not Japan retail)

Another toy that I received recently was the Marusan reissue of Guiro. Meh is all I can say. The paint job is very lackluster, and while I realize it falls in line with the first version/appearance of the character in the actual show, the green version does the sculpt more justice in terms of appearance and overall personality. Dark colors and droopy eyes are not what I had in mind.

As for the bemon figures, the reason for the huge spike in price is because most of them are now going to friends and only a few are being released to the public at large. Even then, you're competing with hardcore fans who have a rapport with the shops and owners that get them in. Make it more exclusive, watch the price go up. Simple supply and demand.

I do have the new gorilla jyu which a boardmember helped me get at retail. It does happen, but winning a lottery can be a once in a lifetime thing. It's all down to luck and timing.

Wow look at me talking about toys for three or four paragraphs...it's been so long since I've felt comfortable talking/discussing freely.
Sanjeev (Admin)
ed Wrote:
> Wow look at me talking about toys for three or
> four paragraphs...it's been so long since I've
> felt comfortable talking/discussing freely.

Har!

Well, that Ilu Ilu figure is kinda interesting. I generally enjoy seeing old-timey stylized robots rendered in vinyl (like Zollmen's Mad Baron and some others). This guy looks a bit plain, though, so I'm not sure how he's gonna look painted. But, yeah, I was thoroughly turned off by the hype surrounding Ilu Ilu's monkey-general-dude...so when I heard that it was so small, I was really surprised. Eh well...seems like some vinyl makers are going small, while others are going big.

Sucks to hear the reissue Guiro isn't that great. Have you checked out the reissue Zazahn, Ed?

As for Bemon, yeah, I guess not much one can do about that. I've discussed with others just flipping the damn thing. I dunno...we'll see. Hell, I've also discussed bootlegging the thing! It IS a boot, in and of itself, right? :P
ed
The bemon smog monster is a boot, and in a sense I suppose the 2 header is as well.

There was talk that old smoggy was made way back when, I don't think a picture has ever surfaced of one. I've only seen the drawing on the original header card for the sumoggon.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yup...saw that header art, too. Pretty cool. I dig that concept of taking old patchi kaiju art and making a toy of it. I'm pretty confident no toy was ever made of him...
[www.qeeworld.com]
Is this still available anywhere? If it even came out when it was supposed to...

Some stores still have the minifigures, and the artist is apparently still selling brightly colored versions from time to time ( [www.jumpingbrain.org] ) but I've been googling around and I can't find the full-size plain white version.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Digging around in the SB drama, I spotted this insane vinyl.

What is this?
That took me a while to figure out, going with nothing but the photo...

The latest T9G monster based vinyl "SQALONE" (Sukuaron)

[museumt9g.blog24.fc2.com]

Completed a new monster!
Name SQALONE / Sukuaron
Image is a prototype WAX, mold, etc. We have successfully completed.
During this month the site will be sold in the prototype T9G/MUSEUM.
Please look again at a later date it will announce details here!

MEDICOM TOY 15th ANNIVERSARY EXHIBITION The exhibition is also being held today in Shibuya
It shows, I try to check with this one please Yoroshikattara.
Prototype and will be sold in an * T9G/MUSEUM site is different.
One thing I like about new releases is that some very hard to find older sculpts are being reissued. I mean I'm never going to be able to afford vintage Yonezawa, Miura, Daiyko, IKB, but Hukkokudo which has now been taken over by Target Earth (known for Gebora, Gamerudon etc) has been reissuing these old sculpts. I mean seriously when was I ever going to come across, let alone afford, a Ceratosaurus or Dabura (thanks Ed -BTW!)The Ceratosaurus are gigantic!:

Closer by Beautification Syndrome, on Flickr

Hukkokudo Dabura 1st Version by Beautification Syndrome, on Flickr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 08:47PM by Lixx.
ed
I wouldn't go so far as to say never Chris. I saw a vintage Diatryma go for around $100 a few months ago because it had writing down the front. I'm too particular about things like that.I imagined it might have other issues as well, maybe a smell problem, but still the deals can be found if the compromise is there.

You mentioned to me that the dabura is smaller than the others. The Diatryma reissue is even smaller than dabura. I actually like it a bit more because of the size, it is one less hulking chunk of vinyl I have to try and find space for.

I'll try to get some photos up here this weekend.
I'd like to see some pics of the Diatryma bird compared to other vinyl actually. I have two of those birds coming at the end of the month and it's some of the most anticipated vinyl for me in awhile. Actually glad they are smaller because I was worried what limited space I made for them would not be enough.

As far as vintage, every day I lean more an more to that side as I find most of what I like is reproductions of older sculpts. Thing is I have a bit of a OCD about stuff like writing, broken parts, really dirty toys etc. Price also keeps me on the repro side for now. I have been actively searching Bullmark/ Marusan the past few weeks for great toys such as the Dungar, Shugaron though and do see that not everything is crazy priced.
Speaking of reproductions and (and not designer vinyl), the Bullmark reissues are getting out of control. That Zazahn. Three Zabogas. Four Mecha-Gs and a bunch of others.

Out of control awesome! The MFV sculpt Zagoba is nice, even if actual firing features are cooler. The paint job on that new MekaG looks neat, too. It makes sense for them to offer a bunch of versions of what must have been a really costly tooling. I like that they haven't overdone it, though... they've released just a couple versions, spaced apart, and all pretty striking so far.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
The Diatryma is indeed awesome (I saw one of Ed's before). Very need...definitely have to experience it first hand. Without actually holding one, it was kinda hard for me to appreciate it just from internet pics.

I actually picked up a Dabura a while back. Yeah, a tad short for ST, but still dope. I really need a Ceratosaurus, though...

As for Bullmark reissues (WRONG THREAD!! :P), I guess I don't mind all the repaints on the MG...but I'm more annoyed that they don't repro the missile-fire mechanisms. It wouldn't be THAT expensive if they use non-permanent injection ABS molds in China...
Sanjeev I saw you posted a pic of Shikaruna Koubo's Gaezal, I agree, very nice sculpt. Obviously their own take on a Cyclops, but classic none the less. Here are mine:

Shikaruna Koubo Gaezal by Beautification Syndrome, on Flickr

Daniel found some really nice differently painted versions over the past year also.

Also if we're talking Cyclops you can never leave out the now defunct Pilot Ace version:

Pilot Ace/Beagle Cyclops by Beautification Syndrome, on Flickr

Pilot Ace Two Horned Cyclops by Beautification Syndrome, on Flickr

I guess in the end it's all a matter of taste on the cyclops. If you're into more classic style you would get versions like I posted. If you like designer vinyl Ollie is what you'd probably be more interested in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 11:47PM by Lixx.
Just spied this on the SB. New RxH figure in conjunction with Medicom. Love everything except the weird hair eye scar thing.

Sanjeev (Admin)
The lame whiskers kinda hurt the look for me, but surprisingly, these look way more interesting to me than their other...uh...non-SD/fight figure sculpts. The "adults" or whatever?

The scar is a bit odd, but that's their thing. Same with the scarf...which I think is dumb--but it's not like you can't just take it off...
Aaaaannddd... I need this paint. NEED IT.

I like the OG Obake with yellow eyes. I could never get into the new sculpt.

Somewhat related to Designer Vinyls. I never understood the practice of getting a tattoo of a contemporary designer toy. A handful of SBers have done this. Okay, maybe if you grew up watching some Tokusatsu, I could understand a Godzilla tatt etc. Just seems so strange to me, then again, I don't have any tattoos...

liquidsky Wrote:
> I like the OG Obake with yellow eyes. I could
> never get into the new sculpt.
>
> Somewhat related to Designer Vinyls. I never
> understood the practice of getting a tattoo of a
> contemporary designer toy. A handful of SBers have
> done this. Okay, maybe if you grew up watching
> some Tokusatsu, I could understand a Godzilla tatt
> etc. Just seems so strange to me, then again, I
> don't have any tattoos...
>
> [28.media.tumblr.com]
> no1_500.jpg

Sanjeev and I were discussing the same horrifying tattoo last night. I figured that it's probably #3 behind a swastika and a picture of poop on the list of tattoos guaranteed to repel other people.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Isn't...the punk subculture supposed to be about bucking trends and anti-conformity???

Eh...whatever.

Josh, you sure that's paint or marbled vinyl??
ed
That is marbled gid and black vinyl.
I have a skullwing that is similar to that style (although has more glow).

I haven't seen what the toy looks like under the sheet so maybe you're talking about that? Either way I think it's nice, but I never got into the obake figure so it's a bit lost on me.

The tattoo is stupid. I imagine the inner monologue going along the lines of :

"Oh if I get this shig will send me a nag or it will make me cool enough to have one"

I do get irritated that they call him that btw. I can't give a good reason.

The other thing that had me RAGING last night is the whole hoarding of toys business. People can do what they want, but seriously if you have 4 or 5 of the same sculpt/same color to hold over people's heads until they give you what you want...forget that. Over it...not going to start talking about it anymore because it's a waste of energy. It's just annoying.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer