[DESIGNER VINYLS] Hot or Not?

Posted by Sanjeev 
He did give them other sketches and such but I really don't think Skinner knew exactly what all goes into making a figure. And Siccaluna omitted a lot of detail that could've easily been added.
Here's a teaser of the SDCC paint. Pic is a bit huge for board postyness.

Sanjeev (Admin)
Yikes.

Eh well.

But for the record, if you look at Siccaluna's other offerings, it's pretty fuck-damn easy to tell they know what they're doing when it comes to sculpting. I don't like every toy they've made, but the technical ability they employ is staggering...far and away the most talented sculptors of designer vinyl out there, in my opinion.

This Skinner toy kinda sucks though...
The Skinner figures are too busy and really don't grab me. Feel like I'm look at a D&D figure.

Grody Shogun's Monster is great. Like the unpainted, the vinyl choices, the spare parts look. And the price. Of course I slept on these and completely missed them.

Probably a good thing as I have too much junk...
See I think the figure should invoke a D&D flavour. It should be metal as fuck. But this sculpt feels so transparent and lazy.

In other news. Lamour Supreme is doing a vinyl... and it looks pretty killer so far!

And S7 has a couple really nice sculpts cooking. (really big pic)

I am interested in seeing more of the LS figure, and genuinely interested in the weird S7 not-MekaG and not-dead-Goji. Totally weird.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
The Fossil-zilla (I think it's called) looks a bit sloppy. Meka crystal thing looks pretty cool.
Eh, I'd like these more if they weren't obvious Godzilla knockoffs. Mechagodzilla with a different head and melty Hedorazilla? The second is the more creative of the two, but I can't get behind either of these.

More serious than thou
That seems fair. I like the look of both of these, mostly because I like the things they are based on, but I'm still not sure if they're not *too obvious*.

[prometheusrising.net]
I wanna take this discussion in another route for a bit.

Other than personal preference to the subject material, what makes a sculpt successful?

I used to think it was how 'clean' the sculpt was. No screw ups or sloppy details.

But looking at some of the classic Bullmarks, I'm not so sure.

Thoughts?
Not sure that I understand the designer vinyl market these days...

[cgi.ebay.com]

[page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Faaaaaaaaak...

Apparently, Nags are knocking at the door of Hawaiian Megalons. Hehe...I give up. ;)

Anyway, I guess I missed lil b's post. I think what makes a sculpt successful is a solid fundamental sense of "weight". When drawing a 2D image on a piece of paper, it's nearly impossible to imagine how that design will feel in one's hands once it gets sculpted in 3D. It's not as simple as saying that a toys has "nice proportions": you really have to be able to handle a toy and get a sense of the space each feature takes up and the relative position/interaction of space taken up by all the features at once. It's weird to put into words, but I think humans have an innate sense of aesthetics that respond to these fundamentals (not that we all agree on what's "good" and "bad").

I generally don't care how clean a sculpt is. In fact, a great number of modern vinyls actually appeal to their fans BECAUSE their sculpts are intentionally crude (Nags, Bemon Kougai Kaiju, etc.). I certainly don't think all the classic Marusans/Bullmarks are winners in terms of fundamental weight/proportions, but a great many of them sure hit the nail on the head.

And I've mentioned this before, but I just find it ironic that while I feel that modern robot toys generally miss the point of why classic chogokin are so great, modern vinyl sculptors are often able to hit that "sweet spot" when it comes to a pleasing general shape...
I have a great many vinyls at this point, both new and old, and they run the range from looking so sharp they could have been made on a computer, to looking so rough they seem like they might fall apart. The thing I look for in sculpts is a really tight and well-defined sense of character or direction. The actual precision of the lines and shapes is not super important to me if the figure has a lot of charm and flavor, but I realize that my very particular sense of what makes a characterful and colorful design is not something easy to quantify, and often does not agree with 'the norm'.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And I've mentioned this before, but I just find it
> ironic that while I feel that modern robot toys
> generally miss the point of why classic chogokin
> are so great, modern vinyl sculptors are often
> able to hit that "sweet spot" when it comes to a
> pleasing general shape...

You can chalk that up to the vast differences in materials and how chogokin are articulated while vinyl are still the same basically... one big chunk of vinyl, minimally articulated.
Sanjeev (Admin)
True, chogokin are generally robots and the mandate for gimmicks and articulation have obviously taken their evolutionary path in a different direction from vinyls. The divergence makes sense. And I wonder if the "accessibility" of vinyl (anyone with a few grand can make one) has made experimentation a lot more accepted...whereas with chogo, it's really just huge (risk-averse) corporations duking it out...
Lamour's vinyl has been revealed. And it is DELICIOUS.

Sanjeev Wrote:

> I generally don't care how clean a sculpt is. In
> fact, a great number of modern vinyls actually
> appeal to their fans BECAUSE their sculpts are
> intentionally crude (Nags, Bemon Kougai Kaiju,
> etc.). I certainly don't think all the classic
> Marusans/Bullmarks are winners in terms of
> fundamental weight/proportions, but a great many
> of them sure hit the nail on the head.

I like the intentionally crude stuff (Bemons, Anraku, etc) because they feel so great in your hands. The rough textures (maybe Anraku is more refined)just kinda just ask to have your hands run over them versus sculpts with clean lines (which are okay too, just different).
I am pretty blown away by the sculpt. This guy looks like an exquisitely done action figure, and could certainly be presented as such. It should make a really 'different' vinyl, and be a lot of fun under some wild paint.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Eh. It's a MotUC figure with some details added...and all the articulation and accessories taken away...and likely a 5-fold increase in price. Pass.

As for rough sculpts, yeah Peter, you nailed it: I certainly don't collect Anraku, but the few I've handled definitely have a tactile presence that's impossible to ignore. The texture of your sculpt is, I think, as critical as the toy's basic proportions.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Eh. It's a MotUC figure with some details
> added...and all the articulation and accessories
> taken away...and likely a 5-fold increase in
> price. Pass.
>

Bingo. It's a modified Hordak. C'mon! Can't these folks come up with original sculpts?

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, pretty disappointing. Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if the "designer" didn't even sculpt it himself. Well, I mean obviously it's not truly "sculpted"--it's just built off of a MotUC--but I mean I doubt the person's name on the toy did the actual detail work (head, arms, changes to the body surfaces...).
My thing is that even if you dig the sculpt, what can you display it next to?
I can appreciate the sculpting skills (someone in Japan I'm guessing) and it's cool that people are into it, but it's way too detailed for me. His last piece, Mongolian (sp?) seemed busy too IMO. Might just be his style, but I can't connect to it for whatever reason.

On the flip side, I like ARK toys and they're detailed. I like messy pollution monsters that are probably too much for some people, but somehow those work for me. Mongolian below:

I sooooooooooooooo want this. Just something about it I really really like.

Lamour Supreme is from the States.. NYC I think. I'm not a huge fan of the rest if his work but I'm a sucker for Mongolions. I have 9 of them so far. I wish I could afford some of the one off customs.

It may be a busy sculpt but like a lot of designer vinyl, the paint apps rarely take advantage of that and are simple colour sprays like the one you posted. If you really want to see all the detail on a Mongolion have a look at the paint rub ones.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Josh, that's "Kumon", I believe...also designed by a skullbrainer. I've handled one in person--it's pretty fun, but not really my thing.

Peter, you mentioned Ark toys and messy pollution monsters...what do you think of Alex Wald's Garakutagigas toy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 09:57AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - FIRE_comp.jpg (228.4 KB)
open | download - STORM_comp.jpg (227.4 KB)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Peter, you mentioned Ark toys and messy pollution
> monsters...what do you think of Alex Wald's
> Garakutagigas toy?

Not my thing, but to each their own.
I like kinda hodge-podge monsters, dempagons come to mind, but this wouldn't mesh with what I have...
Sanjeev (Admin)
I've never been all that hot for Dempagon, but wasn't that made by the same dude who made the Gas Bawer? I kinda dig that sculpt...looks like a mountain or volcano come to life!
Yeah, that' my recollection, same guy did Dempagon and the Gas Bawer which I also like. I think it may be because they're a bit more organic or because of the paint versus Wald's Garakutagigas which comes across as more metal with more realistic paint.
liquidsky Wrote:
> Yeah, that' my recollection, same guy did Dempagon
> and the Gas Bawer which I also like. I think it
> may be because they're a bit more organic or
> because of the paint versus Wald's Garakutagigas
> which comes across as more metal with more
> realistic paint.

It's always interesting to me to see people have such wildly different opinions about styles and stuff. The things you described are exactly why I like Garak.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'm hoping to get the first version Garakutagigas, and also that "Storm" version...but the weird paint on the first one threw me off a bit. Definitely took a little bit longer to get used to it.
They shoulda called Gas Bawer Vulvasaur.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ginrai Wrote:
> They shoulda called Gas Bawer Vulvasaur.

Haha...now that ya mention it...by the same maker (Longneck): Death Menargo [WARNING: potentially not work-safe.]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> liquidsky Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yeah, that' my recollection, same guy did
> Dempagon
> > and the Gas Bawer which I also like. I think it
> > may be because they're a bit more organic or
> > because of the paint versus Wald's
> Garakutagigas
> > which comes across as more metal with more
> > realistic paint.
>
>
> It's always interesting to me to see people have
> such wildly different opinions about styles and
> stuff. The things you described are exactly why I
> like Garak.

And the opinions (like mine) can sometimes not be logical as I have some Ark toys and some "realistic" camo painted toys. Unthread there was talk about the tactile feel of rough sculpts and how I like that. But I don't feel that with this toy, at least from the photos.
Sanjeev (Admin)
liquidsky Wrote:
> Unthread there was
> talk about the tactile feel of rough sculpts and
> how I like that. But I don't feel that with this
> toy, at least from the photos.

Sure. I like Garakutagigas, but not because of the roughness of the sculpt. I just like the Ark-like feel of it and everything related to that connection. I have a couple "rough" patchi-kaiju toys, and their appeal to me is very different from this guy.
Thoughts?
I'll be up-front, not my thing...

Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh lord. Well, it's probably better than the first one...but it still looks like a different person sculpted each part of it. And, of course, the 2-headed Bemon rip-off part is still annoying...

Actually. Okay, I take that back: this is worse than the first one. I find the quasi-Asian shtick even more bothersome than the 2HB rip-off aspect.
I thought the new head concept seemed neat, but seeing it on the body doesn't blow me away. The textures don't look like they match super well. That and, the haphazard paint scheme on that particular one isn't doing the figure any favors.

[prometheusrising.net]
ed
I normally like Blobpus as a designer although I never bought his toys. I have Paul's boss that was painted by him and it's incredible.

This toy design is a perfect example of people buying things because they think it's cool or other people will like them for it.

Garbage.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I think I missed the Blobpus connection. Did he have something to do with that Ollie above??
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer