[DESIGNER VINYLS] Hot or Not?

Posted by Sanjeev 
ed
It's a Zollmen toy.

With the mask on I think it looks a lot better.

I like it, you guys don't have to, that's ok with me. I'll never own it, they're far too hard to find in this version and I won't pay over retail for it, so it's a moot point. I will say, though, that if we all liked the same things this hobby would be really, really boring.

Zollmen makes toys that aggravate people and make them think while retaining a "cute" aspect. It's nothing new.

The new dude I ordered this week is a knock off chibira kun toy that looks (from the pictures) like it's wearing a Triton outfit and has dynamite strapped to it's stomach. It's a parody...it hits a nerve. I like toys that cause a good discussion.

Speaking of toys, I need to have my MFV shipped soon...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> <the usual Roger jibber-jabber>

Do you ever wonder why these sorts of arguments ALWAYS seem to follow you around?
Too much talk, not enough toys.

Mini figures are currently my favorite. The sculpts on some of them are really wild, and you can wage a whole war in the footprint of two standard-sized figures.

This is the latest GID Max Toy mini Eyezon. The really dynamic and characterful sculpt makes it one of my favorite toys. The tanks are actually vinyl as well, made by Sunguts.

Sea slug dude is my Yamomark, who always has some of the most creative character designs.

The clear one with the pom-poms is by Uamou, and doesn't really fit with the others, but it's a cute sculpt that fits in my pocket, and my mom likes it, so it gets a pass.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sunguts tanks still elude me.

I like Mark's work more than S7's latest stuff, but trying not to collect US designs these days.
liquidsky Wrote:
> Sunguts tanks still elude me.
>
> I like Mark's work more than S7's latest stuff,
> but trying not to collect US designs these days.

At this point, I don't even differentiate. The minis are all sculpted by Japanese artists anyway. ;)

Mark posted this in Flickr the other day, and I couldn't be more excited. Mini Alien Argus:

Max Toy Mini Kaiju series Alien Argus by maxtoycompany, on Flickr

And here's a pic Mark tweeted of the upcoming Lady Maxx mini from his Beauty and the Kaiju project:

[twitpic.com]

[prometheusrising.net]
I still gotta get a Capt.Max, and Lady Max now too! Cool little designs.
liquidsky Wrote:
> Based on the movie so not a "designer vinyl", but
> still a great figure for those who appreciate
> organic shambling monsters...
>
>
> Pic stolen from Lixx

Hey I recognize this pic! I never care about pic thieving at all so.....

Yeah that Matango is great, I wish Toygraph made more of them. I remember me and Sanjeev talking about them when Toygraph first released them at a festival in July (which one escapes me). Kind of wish I nabbed both of the other ones then. There is a cool yellow, glow, and now this one (pink hawaiian) & green (PK has some pics in his flickr). The sculpt is far superior to even the beloved M1 sculpt IMO. Here is a stolen pic from kadomium blog of the other two:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 10:45PM by Lixx.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, that new Toygraph sculpt is absolutely amazing. I kinda look at it like an "adult"--or, really, fully-mutated--matango. The previous "enoki" sculpt seems like a half-mutated matango:

I hope they release the adult sculpt in their red-glow vinyl. Stuff's amazing! Oh, does anyone know what "enoki" means??

Anyway, I got a chance to see Ben's Yamomark Sea Slug in person. I gotta say, it's REALLY neat in your hands. The pics online are okay, but it totally feels right. The upside-down face (yes, those are two beady little black eyes under the mouth) is hilarious.

I'm no huge fan of modern kaiju minis (though I collect old Popy mini robot vinyls), but the Max Toy figures really are great. The new Argus looks fantastic. And the Lady Maxx (I sure hope that's not actually her name!) looks quite...healthy! :P
cae
enoki: [bit.ly]

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Anonymous User

Ame-foo-ra-shi Seijin. Oh, I wish he'd make more of these...
Sanjeev (Admin)
cae Wrote:
> enoki: [bit.ly]

Ah, thanks!

Daniel, is Amefurashi-seijin and King Koran from some existing media or are they totally original designs?
Mark Nagata posted this update on Lady Maxx (I think that name is sticking) on his... uhh... Tumblr? As connected as I like to pretend I am, I have no fucking idea what a Tumblr is for.

[maxtoyco.tumblr.com]

I think it looks pretty good... she'll look great paired up with a Maxx mini, but I don't know if I'd need a whole bunch of them. The way the hair and helmet silhouettes like up is cute, tho.

[prometheusrising.net]
Tumblr is just another blog site.. I have one where I put my scribbles on.
Anonymous User
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> Daniel, is Amefurashi-seijin and King Koran from
> some existing media or are they totally original
> designs?

Original designs.

There's been some debate as to what Yamomark sculpted for Kaijuuken, but all of the stuff that he releases under his company is original work.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...I want a Captain Maxx mini painted so that he's blushing...with that little anime drip on his forehead! Nah, Lady Maxx is cool (if not the name! :P ). I absolutely love Makino-san's work: he did the mini Eyezon, and in my opinion, it's the best Eyezon incarnation yet.

Anyway, thanks for the info, Daniel. You know, like, everything. ;)
[twitpic.com]

Lady Maxx test shot. I'm thinking... 'hot'.

[prometheusrising.net]
I like Capt., and Lady Maxx minis. Cute, well done, cheap, = hot.

I took a pic of this whale toy thingamabob, (MUNKO?) at the FOE store opening. Given as a gift to the store by the guys from HalfbadToyz. They "zombie-fied" the whale character. I like the look of it. Made me grin. Hot or not?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2010 09:58PM by repairtechjon.
Despite being somewhat morbid, I like it.
I actually made a paper toy similar to this.

Also while I'm here:
L'Amour Voltron Custom DROOL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2010 03:19AM by eitlobsaboo.
Attachments:
open | download - w1.jpg (80 KB)
open | download - w2.jpg (68.4 KB)
I'm still amazed that Gargamel customs can command $4-$550. You can buy some sweet second shelf vintage toys at that price.

Now whether they have holding power five years from now or collapse like Secret Base and RxH is an unknown. Betting on the latter...
I was pretty floored by the Gargamel prices as well. Especially when so many of them were so boring... Gargamel has perfected one or two simple spray patterns, and now just pumps out color swap after color swap, and people eat it up.

At the same time, I can't give away one of the nicest Zags that I'm trying to sell! 'Teh' Market seems extra fucked lately.

[prometheusrising.net]
Those voltron colors are actually one of the better ways that Mongolion has been painted. ;) Most of em? meh.

Now Ben, you're obviously not working teh hypez properly. You have to withhold the Zag, with a cultivated indifferent attitude, to get us to want it. Trades? ;)
Anonymous User
I think Gargamel customs are actually quite nice- at least they make an effort with different vinyl types and paint techniques that are not seen on production pieces. Just a bit expensive for me. As LS says, $400 can get you a whole lot of value on other toy fronts.

Seems like hyper-expensive artist customs are the way it goes these days...
"Seems like hyper-expensive artist customs are the way it goes these days.."

As much as I may despise it, it's a smart business route. The hoi polloi doesn't have the disposable income to buy this stuff anymore. So, instead of doing a larger "production run" for the masses, you focus on low runs with unique paint jobs and price them to the folks that can still afford them.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I can definitely dig that Mongolion custom. This paint scheme does a nice job of adding enough interesting contrast to bring out the surface detail. Still not my thing, as far as the basic toy, but I don't hate it.

As for the Gargamel customs, most of them have failed to impress me...but then again, I haven't seen too many so far. If that's how they have to sell them, that's a bit of a shame seeing as how so many hoi polloi are clamouring to get one! Maybe they should throw the masses a bone every now and then and do a medium-sized release. Dunno if that's economical to do though...

Anyway, I haven't been much of a Gargamel fan for the past few years, but I definitely couldn't help but get this new Bagun ("Deathra", as they call him):

I've always wanted a nice standard-sized Bagun, but the offerings from Marmit, Shikaruna Koubo, and even Target Earth never really spoke to me. Nice, but generally too realistic for my tastes. This Gargamel version is just a little too cartoony for me, but ultimately, it's the best Bagun game in town. And ultimately, I think it'll go pretty well with the Hukkokudo Zagora (and other Bullmark-esque patchi kaiju toys).

Oh, this Bagun wasn't a custom. From what I understand it was a medium-sized run (maybe a magazine exclusive or something in Japan). So maybe that business plan will work...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 12:53PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - STDeathra.jpg (31.8 KB)
Hot and cold ;)

Cosmic Squadron Kaiju Hunters from Kaiju Bazaar. I have almost no idea how DP painted these, but they're incredible. One's suit was freezer burnt and the other's burnt to a crisp facing some mysterious menace.

I nearly died when I saw these in person... photos cannot do the paint jobs justice. They are totally different from the typical Dead Presidents style, and are awesome for me. They are complex, varied, and nuanced, and I love to see this kind of experimentation. Talking about the Gargamel show and all that just shows the worst of how boring that kind of stuff can get... it's great to see people who aren't afraid to try out new stuff, just like with that Voltron Mongolion.

[prometheusrising.net]
HOT! I've been meaning to get on the wagon, and get a Cosmic Squadron dude. I just barely missed the boat at NYCC. I like the clear Microman styled one, but those custom paints rock.
Sanjeev (Admin)
As usual, Ben, your atrocious photography continues to amaze and astound. Or maybe it's just that I'm jealous you got that blue "freezer-burned" one. I saw these online a while back when they were for sale at One Up. They didn't impress me. They just looked sorta messy...though the added bits seemed kinda fun. Very Mantech.

Then, a while back, I had a chance to see some of them in person. I nearly shat myself. To be fair, these guys really ARE next to impossible to photograph without losing the majority of their impact. I fell in love with that blue one...and it looks like you snagged it. Congrats.

Matt told me the story behind this bashed-up set of one-offs. These are the veteran kaiju-hunting platoon. Apparently, they were sent off to bring down this particular beast with fire- and freeze-breath abilities. They started their mission with the most high-tech gear build into their armor--everything bright, shiny, and brand new. Of course, things didn't go exactly as planned.

All the guys are painted up with worn, stained, and scorched armor. They all feature clear, painted helmets with smears across the faces so you can see the "battle-damaged" paint jobs on their bloodied faces. All...except the advanced recon squad member, Radar, that is. His armor is curiously pristine. Not to mention the silver head/black eyes, the mysterious "180" unit number on his back, and of course the altered Cosmic Squadron seal on his belt buckle!

I know I'm a fucking nerd, but I love shit like that!

So anyway, in trying to help Walker with his own terrible photography, I tried to take some glamour shots of Radar back when I was shooting other toys in my backyard. Not surprisingly, they came out teh suck...

The pics aren't fucking terrible in and of themselves I guess (though my camera, in general, takes pretty washed out shots outside in bright sunshine)...but they simply don't capture what you actually see with your eyes, holding the toy in person.

First, the closeups of the chest look almost like the toy is dusty. Yep, this is more of Matt's color-change flake paint. Admittedly, I wasn't blown away by these toys when they first came out...and in fact, I've never been a huge fan of Walker's super-insane-glossy paint and rainbowy, color-change/metallic paint jobs. To me, that stuff just doesn't look right on most traditional-style kaiju. But on these retro space toys, the shit is perfect. I mean, *really* brilliant! The translucent burgundy paint on Radar, with the color-change (why isn't it just called "glitter" by the way???), plus the metallic silver head. Fucking NUTS.

Anyway, back to the shitty pics. Next, the helmet looks really cloudy--horrendously bright glare. In actuality, it looks very clear in person and you can see his head perfectly. I have no idea how to fix this. Maybe smaller aperture and longer exposure time???

And finally, the bare shots of his head don't even come close to capturing how eerie this fucker looks. Like, the silver is CRAZY. It's not chrome, like a terminator endoskeleton head, but it's very bright with a metallic flake texture used in it. That texture is completely lost in these pics. And the black eyes and other facial details are just matte black, but they really just suck up the light and look crazy-dark against the rest of the face. That lovely contrast, again, is missing in the pics. :(

(Can ya see my dumbass reflection in the closeups of the chest??? haha)

It looks like Matt didn't use these shots., so I guess it's cool for me to post 'em now. Anyway, I think I'm officially sold on these figures. They seem hard as hell to get, but he tells me more are coming...and they're gonna keep coming. These recent guys have blown me away far more than the original figures released at SDCC. As long as he keeps coming up with intense, creative paint schemes like this, I'll keep following this line...
I like how you copied and pasted the jab at my two-second iPod photo.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I only hurt the ones I love.
These spaceman guys look neat.. but the silver head reminds me of Ziggy Stardust. I want a Ziggy colour-way :D
Not.

Not designer vinyl but nowhere else to post this.

Lucy in the Sky with...

> Lucy in the Sky with...

I must have that!

Anyone have a lead?

-dylan
Sanjeev (Admin)
liquidsky Wrote:
> Not.

Haha...it still gets me how crazy that dumb piece of shit makes everyone! Over a grand on eBay? Haha...eh well...

And I gotta say, that MG2 is pretty awful...

Sorry Dylan! :P
Ha!

No love for the Fab4?

-dylan
Dylan....I would check with Chris over at [www.grumbletoy.com] to see if he can get it. It IS a Beams/Culturart shop exclusive, though, so I'm not sure.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Some of the BEAMS/M1GO collaborations have been selling through another site recently. Prices aren't exactly true yen-to-dollar but you probably get them faster than going through an importer or buying service:

[www.japantrendshop.com]
Thanks for the tip, Roger. I was actually thinking about tracking that MekaG down myself... it's weird and different enough for me to consider adding another of that mold to the shelf. I look at it as sky camo, I guess... it's just totally bizarre. Is there some background behind it?

[prometheusrising.net]
Fuck you, Sanjeev, I took proper detailed pics of Kaiju Hunters Gary “Heat Death” and Steve “Infernus” as they meet the mysterious No-Mad.

The frost effects are amazing. Lots of clears colors and shades going on.

The scraped away ice effect is what sold me on picking up a second Kaiju Hunter. I never would have thought to do something like this, and it's amazing.

Gotta love the clear helmets.

Fire and ice...

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> ...Gary...and Steve

I love you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer