[DESIGNER VINYLS] Hot or Not?

Posted by Sanjeev 
Toygraph's UFO Gunhead monster painted by Dead Presidents. Bought this last week, and haven't been able to leave it along since. The sculpt is detailed enough to be a 'serious' kit, but it still works as a fun as hell kaiju.

What's funny is that Dead Presidents's new Cosmic Squadron make better space men than Toygraph's own Space Troopers, and look great fighting this new menace.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
That gunhead UFO monster is kinda neat. I was hoping Toygraph would make a "bottom half" for him since they originally released the torso. [For those who never saw it, this and another UFO monster were released from the waist up, fused to the top of a flying saucer toy that goes with their Space Troopers toy line.]

I like the gunhead better than the other mutant guy. If they make a glowie of the full gunhead, I may throw down.

In the meantime, the Cosmic Squadron dude is growing on me a little. I have the blue one with the GID head from the original SDCC run. It's pretty cool to look at and hang out on the shelf, but it seems a little more artsy than it needs to be. I think I should get a regular-painted one to play with.

I talked to Walker about them: he said that he's *grossly* behind schedule with a "proper" full launch of the line. I guess each shipment he gets are all pre-sold out to different shows or shops in Japan and he's barely getting THOSE out in time. Eventually, he's gonna have a REAL release. Heh...almost sounds like Paul Kaiju and his Boss Carrion (though I hear there might just be an official launch for THAT toy this Sunday night!)...
I'm curious to see what Matt does for the proper 'US launch' of the Cosmic Squadron. I love playing with mine, and love how effective the Micromang colors are on them. I've been trying to think about other neat ways to paint them... the 'regular color' one in white with the painted head is cool, but not really my thing. I definitely think there's some interesting ideas in masking the helmet to make a visor, which Matt has played with a little bit. I don't get a lot of 'art' feel out of them, but really just a better proportioned fight-figure feel. I just wish the feet were somehow a little different so he could balance in a walking post better. They're a little top-heavy, especially with the gun.

[prometheusrising.net]
I wrote this whole post about the Cosmic Squadron:

[prometheusrising.wordpress.com]

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I think this is more "urban vinyl" than Japanese designer vinyl, but I figured it had to be posted somewhere...

Ben sent me a link just now, and for once, it wasn't a travesty. Check this shit out:

[www.spankystokes.com]

Fucking crazy, huh?
Jeez....they ganked multiple logos with that one.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Oohhhee! Where the heck did THAT come from? The working treads are almost selling me. I think I'd prefer an ES Gokin of that if a choice were to be had.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, totally...if this were an ES Gokin, I'd be ALL over it! Alas, it's apparently a one-of-a-kind custom that's already been sold. Too bad, huh? ;)
I recently got a hold of a couple more Mongolions.. I haven't seen them on this thread yet so I'd thought I'd share the love:

Sanjeev (Admin)
I liked the original artwork the Mongolion was based on, and I think the sculpt brilliantly captures it...but I've never actually been compelled to get the figure. It's definitely got fun fight figure proportions, but I find the surface details are a bit too...ambitious!

I've seen a couple customs by gatchabert that were amazingly rendered--where his free-hand sprays really brought out those detais. But for the most part, the "stock" paint ops have consisted as a few amorphous blobs of paint here and there...completely ignoring the details of the sculpt underneath. If you're feeling it, that's cool...but I'd probably dig this sculpt a lot better if they were released with paint ops as careful as the sculpting.
Yeah the sculpt is amazing and isn't shown off enough. I've seen one painted as Kamen Rider Hibiki and a TMNT.. But they're one off customs. While I would love one with a detailed paint app, obtaining one from Australia is rather difficult if you don't know people. Also I'd hate to see the price tag on one of them puppies (kittens?) So I take what I can get :D
Definately get your hands on the clear grey glowie or the clear red. Really nice.
At the NYCC, a couple big figures I got to see for the first time in person, were the Greasbats, and Ollie's, and of course the BossCarrion. I really kinda dug 'em all, but just not what fits with my stuff now. I'll have to bookend some shelves, or I think they look great as the "baddies" staged with vintage giant robot gokins and stuff. I'll have to play around with some pics when I actually pick up one of those 3 vinyls.

Maybe I should post this here too?

Is that a Hedora/King Kong mash up?
Sanjeev (Admin)
I think the base figure is a Bandai America Hedorah...but yeah, I think the mouth is Kong. Jack, you nut!
eitlobsaboo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently got a hold of a couple more
> Mongolions.. I haven't seen them on this thread
> yet so I'd thought I'd share the love:
>
> [i65.photobucket.com]
> /02112010456edit.jpg

Now these Vinyls are hot definitely something I would buy.Especially the two blue ones.The paint used brings out all the detail Nice pic eitlobsaboo.
While I am fond of my glow exclusive Mongo, and my mom quite likes her jade version, I don't think any of the painted Mongolions have been very good yet. The sculpt is awesome, but loose free sprays and just a little masking make no sense. That figure is just BEGGING for some proper detail paintwork. Problem is, Super7/Skullbrain people would never buy it if it were painted properly.

[prometheusrising.net]
Jessie Hernandez of Vinyl Addiction is doing an Aztec Gaiking. Interested in how this will look in 3D.

Very cool combo design. Doesn't Martin Ontiveros do similar Aztec inspired artwork, and sculpts?

BTW, tomorrow there's two events near me I wish I could hit.
The FOE opening party in NorthHampton, MA, anyone going??
And, right near me in Beacon, NY, a local store is hosting Ron English w/ his stuff. I've seen some of his art I liked, but not too familiar with his toy stuff. Anything I should look out for?
[networkedblogs.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 12:12AM by repairtechjon.
Ron English is yuck... I might head back to school Saturday night to check out the FOE opening, but it depends on if the weather is shitty or not. Otherwise I'll hope over there either Sunday or sometime next week when I am free. I'm stoked that they're open, but I wish they'd given more warning for the opening party :P

In other vinyl news, I have decided that Max Toy Co minis are just about the greatest invention ever. I'll have to take some new pics, but in the spirit of the thread, I think they are definitely 'hot'. The sizes are perfect, and the sculpts are all really interesting, with each being done by a different Japanese sculptor. They are just the right size and price to fill that quick-fix need, but they are also always really well done, so it's not like they'd ever be the kind of toy-crack purchase that you'd regret later.

Like I said, will have to take some pics this week of what I've accumulated.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'd love to see alternate Dragigus and Drazorus heads for the minis!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Awesome. And that's why you see me less and less on skullfuck.
I guess if one considers abortions "hot", then yeah....

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Wow. That $1396.50 could have bought a top shelf classic vintage piece, with history, instead of some overhyped shlock.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Awesome. And that's why you see me less and less
> on skullfuck.

Whatever happened to this guy, did he croak or something?

[toyboxdx.com]

Sanjeev Wrote:
> Going forward, we just can't keep shitting on Skullbrain.

;p
Sanjeev (Admin)
He became crusty and surly. Surely you know what that's like, Roger! ;)

Nowadays, I think a little shitting on skullfuck's okay. :P Stuff has changed *immensely* over there in the past year or so. Well, maybe it's been a trend that's been going on for a while...but it seems to have accelerated more recently. Either way, between my fits of bitterness, I find it harder and harder to care...

Virtually ZERO critical discussion takes place over there. Hehe...if anyone states an opinion not in accordance with the Uni-mind (whether it's about a particular toy or an artist) the cult-members get all riled up!

Meanwhile, over here, we just pooh-pooh everything and resurrect ancient threads no one cares about! ;)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> He became crusty and surly. Surely you know what
> that's like, Roger! ;)

I certainly do, there is a user named "atease" on Skullbrain who exemplifies this. ;p

> Stuff has changed *immensely* over there
> in the past year or so.

I realize that this thread is about toys and not bulletin boards, but can you and other elaborate on the sea change over there? Because to me the place is the same as it ever was.
Roger Wrote:
> > Stuff has changed *immensely* over there
> > in the past year or so.
>
> I realize that this thread is about toys and not
> bulletin boards, but can you and other elaborate
> on the sea change over there? Because to me the
> place is the same as it ever was.

Some random observations:

S7 employees occasionally harassing long time customers online
Majority of big contemporary collectors dropped out
Major turnover in S7 staff
S7 no longer a toy distributor but toy maker
Focus on S7 toys
Shift to art show customs (yawn)
Gradual shift, over the years, in BST drama and ripoffs
Virtually no intelligent discussion about toys
etc

Nitty Gritty? Rarely ever read this except for occasional releases
General Interests?
Japan Toys - Everything got dumped into this one forum
Vintage Vinyl - kinda slow but interesting things from time to time
American Idols - generally skip but occasionally something
Show Your Collection - haul shots zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Whatever - whatever
Market Place? If I have to check one section, this is it cause so much churn
Tourist Go Home? I never read this, just mark it as read

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2010 04:23PM by liquidsky.
Did all of that happen in the past year or since 2005?
Based on the movie so not a "designer vinyl", but still a great figure for those who appreciate organic shambling monsters...

Pic stolen from Lixx
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, that "atease" guy is the crustiest of the crusty! ;)

Nah, I'd actually love to go back to my VERY first posts on skullbrain, note that date, and search through other threads from around that time. [Yeah, like I have time to do this!] I'd want to take note of the "old-timers" posting regularly around that time. Then, I'd want to see how many of them are still on the board. It sure seems like they've been replaced with twice as many kidrobot converts.

Sure, we've had turnaround here, too, but it's dwarved over there. And we still have plenty of old-time crust!

But anyway, it's all obviously anecdotal, but it's the stuff we've talked about: group-think and fanboyism (entitlement and whatnot) has made the place very un-fun to be for me.

What I fear is that this sort of social disintegration is *inevitable* for popular forums. If something is deemed "cool", does that automatically mean that more and more people will gravitate towards it and end up fucking it up with their tendencies towards fanboyism and whatnot? Sort of an unpleasant thought...

Anyway, skullbrain becomes Kidrobot 2.0 more and more everyday. Theoretically, that shouldn't matter: I don't collect those toys, so who cares? Let them do their thing. But part of the problem is that it's still the only English-language site for news about the precious few contemporary designer vinyls I *do* care about, let alone the licensed stuff (like the gorgeous Matango above)...
Who makes that Matango?
And speaking of Matangos, am I the last person to discover Tokyo Cultuart?

[www.japantrendshop.com]

Exclusive color versions of M1GO vinyls, including Captain Mushroom, straight from Japan for about $100 shipped. Not as great as walking into BEAMS and forking over 5,000 yen for one in person, but not too bad.
Roger Wrote:
> Who makes that Matango?

Toygraph, October release
Does anyone here remember when Toyfair had TBDX in it and then we had a huge flood of newbies and all kinds of oldies got super snarky and sharp tongued?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
ed
I thought I felt my ears burning.

I might be crusty Roger, but at least I gave you a list of things that I thought would help. I'm sure all of it will be ignored.

I think a lot of us like this thread because we don't have to think about the other place.

Back to toys please. Anyone feel like helping me track down a bobongo? :)

ed Wrote:
> I might be crusty Roger, but at least I gave you a
> list of things that I thought would help.

Haha, yes, but only after I chipped through the crust and asked you for it.

> I'm sure
> all of it will be ignored.

Quite the contrary, it's all being discussed, and I did respond to you regarding it via PM, so I certainly didn't ignore it.

> I think a lot of us like this thread because we
> don't have to think about the other place.

Who is "a lot of us?" And if thinking about the other place is something you don't want to do, why would you keep going back there?

> Back to toys please. Anyone feel like helping me
> track down a bobongo? :)
> [farm6.static.flickr.com]
> 97c6653.jpg

(Oh boy. Waiting for Sanjeev to comment on this toy in 3... 2... 1...)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Roger Wrote:
> Who is "a lot of us?" And if thinking about the
> other place is something you don't want to do, why
> would you keep going back there?

Well, me, for one. And it's actually you who keep beating dead horses around here. I just made an offhand comment. But by all means, keep continuing to be the language Nazi...

> (Oh boy. Waiting for Sanjeev to comment on this
> toy in 3... 2... 1...)

Indeed. Fuck that toy. Fuck that toy with a long, rusty stick...right in the dick-hole.
ed
I go back there because I have good friends there Roger. I don't have access to email during the day, I can email friends that way. Occassionally, and I mean very occassionally, something will show up there that I can't find/hear about during daily searches.
I'm glad someone is discussing my thoughts about making that a better place. Funny I made those suggestions over the years I was a moderator and I was ignored and told that it could "self-moderate" itself. We've all seen what that can do.

A lot of us...hmmm...the active posters in this thread? Myself, Sanjeev, Ben, Peter, Chris. I think we're all the active posters that I'm talking about (these are people in my mind anyway, if they don't feel that way I can certainly omit them)

At the end of the day Roger, I really don't care anymore. I come here to talk about toys and read up on vintage, not to get into arguments with you over why Skullbrain is a good or a bad message board.

So, any word on that bobongo?
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Well, me, for one. And it's actually you who keep
> beating dead horses around here.

Oh, please. The anti-Skullbrain tone of this thread wasn't established by me. Go back to page 1 and reread your posts that kicked things off. It's not too subtle that you were looking down your nose at the place and making sure people knew it.

I realize that "you did it first" isn't a good justification and this thread is about toys so I'm letting it go with this post. Believe me, I am one of the harshest critics of that place, but since I "work" there it's hard to just let certain comments slide.

I'm sure if people were over there were calling this board "Toyfuck DX" you'd have something to say about it.

> But by all means, keep continuing
> to be the language Nazi...

Sorry, my brain isn't letting me hit the Post message button without this:

[toyboxdx.com]

> Indeed. Fuck that toy. Fuck that toy with a long,
> rusty stick...right in the dick-hole.

That I can agree with you on 100%. I like the "monstrous" aspects of it but it pretty much ends there. Who makes it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer