[DESIGNER VINYLS] Hot or Not?

Posted by Sanjeev 
ed
are you stalking us sanjeev?

we'll be in nyc this weekend as well for the ny auto show.

any toy stores down there aside from toy tokyo (which is apparently moving?) and giant robot that you guys enjoy there?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...we always go to Staten Island for Easter. For the kids... :)

Anyway, I didn't even know Giant Robot had a store in the city! Never been. Is it any good?

Nah, I've only really ever gone to Toy Tokyo and that little mall place JoshB took us to years ago with tons of anime shops and places that sell new toys, models, and other trinkets...

Beard Papa's in the Village is pretty clutch, though!
ed
there is a Beard Papa in Boston at Faneuil Hall (unless it closed...maybe it did)

The giant robot in nyc is ok, it's a small store but still pretty nice.

Mall eh?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, Beard Papa's in Porter Square's been closed for a while now...at least a couple years, actually!

Is Giant Robot all designer crap...or do they actually carry some nice character stuff (M1, Marmit, Marusan...)? For some reason, I get the feeling they don't actually have robots. :P
Giant Robot still does their own thing with the regular magazine, toys,(yes, multi brands), t-shirts, art, etc. I like them better than KR for sure.

As to the mall thing, yeah I just stopped in a few weeks ago in Chinatown. Some good stuff. Don't go in the AM though. After 1pm most toy places open up.
PM'd you on that one Ed. What about Zakka? in Brook-a-leeyn?
Are there still shops in the Elizabeth Center?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I would meet you guys this weekend but I will be at the ass end of NJ (Wildwood).
ed
I'll check out Elizabeth St, it will be a good chance to see something different.

Also, I think Toy Tokyo is closed while they're moving shop. At least that's what the website says, I think I'll call before I make the trip there.

The GR in NY has a good mix of stuff, for some reason I don't ever recall them being huge on KR type stuff, but they have a decent mix of toys.
Anonymous User
Freshening up this thread.

EDIT: These are licensed from Takara.

Charactics has been making mini-figures of Henshin Cyborg characters since maybe 2005. Their first two sets were the Walder Monsters and Alien Invaders. FINALLY in 2008, we got the Walders Monsters (above) cast in clear vinyl with guts parts and it is just an absolutely brilliant set. The Alien Invaders were first released in a clear set to match the original toys (minus the glitter in the plastic), but it is really hard to find. A reissue or redo of the Aliens in clear glitter vinyl might be nice, but probably not in the cards at this point.

Moairobo is a little more on the designer side as it is based on original artwork by Japanese artist, Sugiyama Minoru. These are made and sold by Monstock. They just started producing these in January, so there are only 3 versions or so out there. Moairobo are supposed to be old war technology in Sugiyama's world.

The vinyl is surprisingly compact- only about 6-7" tall- with pleasant heft and crisp sculpting. The head is reversible, so you can display him in normal and attack mode. I assume that is the purpose, anyhow.

Nice to see a new super robot vinyl, which tend to be rarities among the designer set...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2010 01:35AM by akum6n.
WOW! Thanks for the pics... I love the robot. Will have to keep an eye out for that.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Doh...almost forgot to reply to this thread.

Well, while I love those Charactics minis, I don't think they actually qualify as "designer", Daniel. I'm pretty sure they're licensed from Takara...

Charactics does a ton of great licensed stuff, actually. Tons of great Toho goodness. Damn shame they're out of business...

That Moairobo's is hot as hell, though...and he sure qualifies as "designer"! I totally need one. Yeah, modern robot vinyls are pretty amazing...surprised not too many other small-time makers are down with the 'bots...
Yeah I like that Moairobo. I like a lot of "ancient technology" looking robot thingies. Even those suits in 5th Element, and the Golden Army robots too.
...and where's my vinyl of TIC-TOC, from "Return To Oz" ?

A couple years ago at NYCC, I remember my eye caught by a funny vinyl bot called "Jukebot". Made me laugh, I liked the design, and I shoulda' got one. I'll have to dig up one for sale.
Anonymous User
Yeah, you're completely right, Sanjeev. The Walders and Aliens are licensed, sold only at Wonderfestival. Got carried away and forgot the topic. (That and they are some of the best new vinyls out there.)
ed
Daniel do the hands on the Moairobo twist and move?
Anonymous User
ed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Daniel do the hands on the Moairobo twist and
> move?

Unfortunately, no. That would have been a nice feature.
I got the BusterCall x LilJapan Beetlar release in the mail the other day. Its awesome.

Its clear soft vinyl with red, black and gold spray.
Attachments:
open | download - beet1.jpg (79 KB)
open | download - beet3.jpg (78.5 KB)
open | download - beet2.jpg (70.5 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
"LilJapan"...as in Hiro? Sweet! Pretty badass-looking toy. I've seen that sculpt before--does it belong to a particular line or something? Like, are there any "companion" sculpts that go along with him? And who makes it?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ah...Monstock...

Pics stolen from Andy over at skullbrain...these are pretty sick:

I'm still curious though...like, is this just a standalone figure or does it go with some narrative including other characters? I know that Rangeas figure is pretty much standalone, but this guy's smaller and is more fight figure style, so I'd imagine there'd be others (like with RxH or Secret Base)...
Anonymous User
Beetlar is made by Buster Call. It's the only toy produced by that company... so far. There have been a few versions sold through Monstock.

Think those are all of the production versions. This was mentioned over at SB, but the clear red and purple are customs.

No background story that I am aware of.
I've only just stumbled upon them and was lucky enough to be one of the winners in the lottery for it..

I would love to find the super7 version (the red/orange one at the front)..
that blue one with the lightning bolts is pretty killer...

Josh
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...I was just gonna say that clear blue with the gradient electricity effect is fucking gorgeous!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Aiight...next up, a couple shots I took outside today (man, my camera takes crummy outdoor shots...).

Target Earth Bemon...or whatever the fuck it's supposed to be called:

I guess the "Bemon smog monster" is this pachi kaiju based on an old illustration on a header card. Only the head and shoulders of the monster were visible, so "Bemon", this mysterious toy maker in Japan made a fairly famous underground toy of the monster, now colloquially referred to as "Bemon".

I'm sure he has a proper name...that Daniel or Hillsy can fill us in on! ;)

Anyway, this is Target Earth's take on the character. I think they gave it yet another name, too...beats me what it is! Anyway...

Next, we have Onell Design's latest collaboration with Real x Head, the Pheyden mini. Unlike previous RxH mini's, which are only articulated at the neck, this guy's a bit bigger and is articulated at the shoulders and waist, as well.

I'll try to get some more pics of him without the bandana on (which I made--the figure doesn't come with it... :/ ) and with a standard RxH for scale. Oh, and glowie shots, of course!

Anyway, the gun he's holding is something I bashed together quickly from a Callgrim figure. And, YES, the mini Pheyden's hand perfectly accommodates a Glyos male connector (peg), so that gun pops in securely! Love it!

Hot or not?

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
The Pheyden mini is pretty cool.. not won by the colour scheme tho, that might change if I see it glowing.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Honestly, I couldn't agree more about the color scheme. I'd've thought it'd be a no-brainer to do a light spray in "standard" Pheyden blue and handpaint in all the dark panel lines...so that it actually looked like a big SD Pheyden.

I don't mind the green because it's executed so gorgeously, but I think a glow standard Pheyden colorway would have ROCKED people's heads...

By the way, it glows like a *motherfucker*! ;)
Payin' a visit to Mama's garden again Sanjeev? ha cool

I like both of those. Of course, I'm partial to the clear, sunlit-from-within look.
That Pheyden's Callgrim gun is perfect! I gotta try some some of that.
Just stumbled on this thread while searching online for some toys.

Very interesting, so is this where we all escape SB to have "intelligent toy discussion"? I should come here more often.

As a collector of repo bullmark stye (M1 etc), toho/ultra, patchi vinyl I can attest the quality is there. It's all in the eye of the beholder really. I have sculpts that range from crude (Bear Model, Butanohana) to very detailed (Shikaruna) but for me to purchase it has to hit several points. I have to love the character, love the paint application, and it has to fit into my collection.I see so many people who have collections all over the place with no focus and while that might be good for them it would drive me insane. I mean no disrespect to bandai collectors out there either but pick up something like a m1 glow figure. The paint job is amazing! I think that draws me in the most. The vibrant color schemes.

Seriously though newer kaiju is not cheap. Buying on hype is a fools game. The prices are falling now for some "unworthy" (i.e stuff I love) vinyl but I think that is because so many collectors seem to be getting out of it.

That Nag figure is the worst thing ever, and I think Ed nailed it with how people seem to flaunt figures over on SB like trophies.

just my 2 cents

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2010 08:23AM by Lixx.
Welcome along Lixx, and thanks for bumping this thread. Now we can give Sanjeev the wet noodle beating, so he'll put up more pretty pics for us to gurgle over.
Sanjeev always posts pics that make you WANT the toy! I think I have to give him credit for making me go full tilt into GID vinyl.

Some other things I thought of while doing laundry on my day off:

1) There is a lot more GID vinyl with newer stuff than older, so if you're into that, you need to go after newer items.

2) There are as many different types of toy collectors as there are toys. At the end of the day I rest firmly in the camp of "doing it because you love the toys". Does that make me better than the guy who spends $$$ on a rare vintage piece or a new hyped piece. Nope. Different strokes for different folks.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Lixx, great to see you here, man!

Hehe...I feel like a shitbag now for not updating this thread! I really should get on the ball and post some more stuff...

Lixx Wrote:
> Very interesting, so is this where we all escape
> SB to have "intelligent toy discussion"? I should
> come here more often.

Haha...well, I consider this place more my home...and I guess I pop over to sb to get the latest info on upcoming modern vinyls, troll the buy/sell/trade forum, and shake my head at all the dick-riding (yeah, I know...a waste of my time...but I can't help it sometimes!).

Y'know what burns me about the "hype"? I just hate looking at the "Wanted" forum on sb and seeing so many fucking identical wanted lists. Everyone wants a Maza. Everyone wants a NagNagNag. Everyone wants an Anraku. Fabulous. So everyone wants the same fucking collection? Damn.

Anyway, I digress...I'll try to get some designer stuff posted soon for folks to ogle or berate! ;)
Don't sell yourself short, Sanjeev....you're a shitbag for so many more reasons.

Lixx...most of us actually started on this site. SB has just been in the last 4 yrs, or so. While I'm not sure the conversation is terribly intelligent, it certainly is less venomous.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
hillsy Wrote:
> Don't sell yourself short, Sanjeev....you're a
> shitbag for so many more reasons.
>
> Lixx...most of us actually started on this site.
> SB has just been in the last 4 yrs, or so. While
> I'm not sure the conversation is terribly
> intelligent, it certainly is less venomous.

It's good to see some familiar faces here. I think I signed up here awhile back but never posted because I thought it mainly was geared towards vintage/robots/tin toys etc. I lurk from time to time though.

Truthfully as much as SB is for japanese vinyl the place scares me lately. I go back for the nice people I've met there, and it's a good place for new info, but as many have pointed out it does seem to breed clone mentality on what to collect as well as bitch-fests galore. OK sorry for off topic rant...
Hey Lixx, I didn't know you were on here...! (Vombie)

I've been kind of feeling SB less and less with all the new members we got strolling in. I mean, it's fun to meet new people and all, but I don't feel like my experience on there has been enriched by the newcomers--in fact, I just kind of get more of that trend-following vibe (which is fine when they're buying my stuff!), but I guess that's with a lot of new folks who are getting their first taste of new vinyl.

I hate to admit it, but I love the people I get to talk to and meet with collecting this stuff--that's always fun, though sometimes I miss the old days when I just did this quietly on my own and forums and scenes were a very small part of it.

miss this place though. what a breath of fresh air.
now I'll go and not post for another week or so. thanks.
Sanjeev (Admin)
kiriko Wrote:
> I hate to admit it, but I love the people I get to
> talk to and meet with collecting this
> stuff...

Why would you hate to admit that? I think that shit's clutch.

> now I'll go and not post for another week or so.
> thanks.

:P
hey now...don't be so touchy, Sanjeev! that's not what I meant. I like forums just fine (obviously), but I miss the times before when this hobby only occuppied a quiet little corner of my mind (and home). but then I didn't expect that everyone would agree or relate.
Just as long as anyone from SB gets with the program, and doesn't get TOO gooey over always using "vinyl" in an always reverent way. Gotta call it what it is sometimes as "stupid rubber dinosaurs", and "stupid rubber robots". Don't take any snooty offense at either term. ;0p
Sanjeev (Admin)
Jon, I think what you just wrote describes the vintage board over there perfectly. It's really funny how it's like it's own separate island nation amidst the turbulent water!

Vombiko/Kiribie: it's all good, man! I just personally feel that hobbies were meant to be shared. Ironically, though...the more sharing goes on, the more less-than-ideal social phenomena start to happen...group-think, fanboyism, etc...
Anonymous User
repairtechjon Wrote:
> Just as long as anyone from SB gets with the
> program, and doesn't get TOO gooey over always
> using "vinyl" in an always reverent way. Gotta
> call it what it is sometimes as "stupid rubber
> dinosaurs", and "stupid rubber robots". Don't take
> any snooty offense at either term. ;0p

But I like your rusty metal crap too...
akum6n Wrote:

>
> But I like your rusty metal crap too...

Touche good sir! Absolutely, the "call it what it is" applies equally to all toys.

There's a couple new vinyls I was eyeing up, and I'll post a pic...as soon as I can remember what their names are, and find a pic so I can get some feedback. (My taste is impeccable, of course, but just in case. )
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> Y'know what burns me about the "hype"? I just hate
> looking at the "Wanted" forum on sb and seeing so
> many fucking identical wanted lists. Everyone
> wants a Maza. Everyone wants a NagNagNag. Everyone
> wants an Anraku. Fabulous. So everyone wants the
> same fucking collection? Damn.
>
>
I hate that also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2010 04:19PM by nitty.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer