Toynami is Making New Voltron Shogun Warrior Jumbos

Posted by glane21 
It would be easy to view my "wish list" at nonsense, if it weren't for the fact that they actually did sell the re-issues of the Mazingers and Gaiking just under a decade ago.

Bums me out etarnally (sic) that they didn't get to Combattler, given market dynamics, if a MIB goes for over a grand, I would assume there would have been significant traffic on a reasonably priced re-issue of another DX Jumbo.

I'd throw Reideen on my want list, but sadly, even with its misproportionate axe arm, the US version had more "action" going on than the Popy release. It is that hard to come up with a bow-fist that shoots? Not the accesory bow, but a bow-fist mind you. If you come across a decent loose bow fist, and have an early release Reideen with shoulder pads and non-cropped horns (that's just another travesty by Mattel...ugh!), then you have a Popy Reideen.

-Adam
MattAlt (Admin)
>>Is it a question of distro and advertising?

It's a question of a tight-knit little knot of freaks (I include myself in this description) who think they constitute a bigger market than they actually are.

>>a full court press of vintage Popinica toys, the vehicles, not just robots.

This highlights the problem right here. While I appreciate that stuff, I personally wouldn't pay for it. I was never really into the vehicles, only the robots. When it comes to collecting stuff from one's childhood, the things you fixate on take on a highly personal, almost fetishistic quality that's difficult to quantify (and even more difficult to target.) I don't even know what it is that sets me off about certain stuff I feel compelled to pick up.
For me, the different play features of the vintage Popinica are quite fun, but that's colored by considering all the Shogun Warrior vehicle toys I passed up on back in the day. Still got my Sky Arrow however :)

But that's the thing I was thinking of, Matt. I have to assume toy geeks in Japan are like us, even more so, what with the buying of magazines, scouring web sites, trips to this or that festival, and the added push of those who 'know' someone, so that we get those tips about Bandai plans (item) as their 3Q 2011 'expensive item' push, and in internet terms that's FOREVER, and so much else comes out between now and then that any excitement tends to bleed out...

And NONE of that gets to the 'mainstream' person, the 40-something Salaryman who actually might enjoy a reissue of Time Lightan because he never got one as a child.

We know that every once in awhile Bandai targets that crowd (HCM, the early SoC) but does something like THE Chogokin ever get that push, and if not, is that a factor in the lines underperforming?

(kinda sad the HCM Pro line seems to be dead and never did much other than Gundam. Imagine the fun of L-Gaim toys done in the same manner....well, minus the bizarre racing stripes)

Screw it. They should only make toys I want. :)
SteveH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> there's two things guiding Bandai lately, that's Gundam
> and anything that might be tied to the Super Robot
> Wars games.

hold the phone here

are you suggesting that bandai is doing popular series because they actually get some exposure?

perish the thought
Pre-order "Beast King GoLion", and make wild judgments NOW!
[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 09:03AM by repairtechjon.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Umm...no shooty fists...and now, they've dropped the Blazing Sword, too???
>Umm...no shooty fists...and now, they've dropped the Blazing Sword, too???

Isn't this just the 9in vinyl blown up to jumbo size anyway?

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, yeah, that was the initial criticism...but they said that they would feature shooty fists and swords...not to mention (iirc), a pricepoint under $200. Now, it's *none* of those things. Now, it's precisely nothing more than the 9" vinyls blown up. What a shame...
Made even more shameful by giving it the Shoguns Warriors branding when it's anything but!
Can I just buy the box?
>Well, yeah, that was the initial criticism...but they said that they would feature >shooty fists and swords...not to mention (iirc), a pricepoint under $200. Now, it's >*none* of those things. Now, it's precisely nothing more than the 9" vinyls blown >up. What a shame...

I think you expected too much on something made in a weak U.S. economy.

Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, they are labeled as "Beast King GoLion", so I'm guessing these will be marketed in Japan...English packaging or not.

If anything, perhaps I'm expecting too much from Toynami.
Well... yeah, you give it the Shogun Warriors brand which taps into the nostalgia of a group of collectors and toys fans who remember those toys for their play features and funk and then you come out with an oversized bare bones vinyl doll...so who exactly is this thing geared for again?
>If anything, perhaps I'm expecting too much from Toynami.

Er, more like the western toy market in general. Look at how Bandai USA handled do their Nostalgia grab Power Rangers line (ala they ignored people my age who grew up on MMPR and pretended only the kiddy market matters).

Hasbro's the only one with some decent attempt to acknowledge the collector type.

Yeah, it's not like they released a new dinosaur Megazord that updated the old one from the '90s or anything! Oh wait, that's exactly what they did.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
H-man Wrote:
> Well... yeah, you give it the Shogun Warriors
> brand which taps into the nostalgia of a group of
> collectors and toys fans who remember those toys
> for their play features and funk and then you come
> out with an oversized bare bones vinyl doll...so
> who exactly is this thing geared for again?

Um, the vinyl collectors who constantly pay way too much money in exchange for having that "I'm special because I own something you don't" cache?

I don't know why anyone is surprised. Like Yamato Toys, Toynami has that history of getting something exciting and turning it into disappointment. I'm sure when asked about the shooty fists and sword we'll get the 'the logistics of manufacturing just didn't work out' line which is code for "the factory raised their prices again due to the sinking Dollar".

It's too bad, I know some were really looking forward to this.

Cheer up, since it looks like Daltanius is on the way as a SoC, and there's some interesting engineering challenges to that, I think it won't be more than a couple of years until the SoC GoLion. And even tho it'll probably be $300 when it comes out it'll rock. :)
Sanjeev (Admin)
SteveH Wrote:
> H-man Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> > who exactly is this thing geared for again?
>
> Um, the vinyl collectors who constantly pay way
> too much money in exchange for having that "I'm
> special because I own something you don't" cache?

Highly unlikely...for a hundred reasons we've already discussed here ad nauseam...and that you just don't seem to be able to accept.

> I don't know why anyone is surprised. Like Yamato
> Toys, Toynami has that history of getting
> something exciting and turning it into
> disappointment.

True. Bummer about that whole human concept of hope.
SteveH Wrote:
> ... I think it won't
> be more than a couple of years until the SoC
> GoLion. And even tho it'll probably be $300 when
> it comes out it'll rock. :)

What, you didn't like the Masterpiece Lion Force? That thing is awesome!
After taking a second look at the picture offered on the preorder page, yeeesh.
For a big, $200+ toy, I assumed there would be the firing fists, but no mention is made.
And the complaint many made on the little vinyl was, the lion mouths on the hands, were not cut out. At LEAST they could have taken this step on the huge scaled up fig?
Absolute, utter - FAIL!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 02:59PM by Grandzinga.
I'm not into these at all. I like the primitive look of the old jumbos.
It looks fine to me and being a Voltron fan and a Jumbo fan I will take it because it looks and is awesome. There has never been a Jumbo Vehicle Voltron that alone overcomes any lack of shooting fists. I can't wait for these Voltrons to stand next to there Jumbo brothers.
The problem is, these are going to stick out like a sore thumb next to vintage Machinders. They will look better alongside stuff like the High Dream and Fewture jumbo vinyls.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Giantbluerobot Wrote:
> ...There has never been a Jumbo Vehicle
> Voltron...

This fact is truly hard to ignore. But no fucking sword??? Really? C'mon...

I'm not sure if a 2-foot Dairugger alone will make up for the modern (meh) sculpt and lack of...everything.

IF they did Albegas, too, then I'd reconsider! :P
I would love to see an Albegas Jumbo. I just can't stop salivating over the thought of having a Jumbo Dairugger.

Maybe the second run will have a shooting fist because the first run is a test run to see how profitable a Jumbo line can be. I know I am dreaming.

Or

The blazing sword will be sold seperately after all the Jumbos sell out so Toynami could make more money out of this line.
Hmmm...shouldn't be too hard for even Toynami to pull off an Albegas jumbo... just get an assortment of jumbo sized red, black and blue DUPLO blocks!
BBTS sent out their emailer with two new 24" shogun warriors Voltron -Lion & Voltron-(ah hell the car one.) Both are new. I already have an original Lion Voltron but I wouldn't mind the other one and want to know if this will be a continuing line or not?
MSW
Limited production AFAIK. They are made by Toynami though:

[www.toynami.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2011 10:42PM by MSW.
Maybe this will help:

[toyboxdx.com]

Hopefully Albegas is next:
Sanjeev (Admin)
So...are these out or what?
Entertainment Earth has them now: $230 for Dairugger, and $250 for the Lion. They have lost their minds for sure. No sword!? No articulation worth mentioning, and nothing fires or is even removable? F-off and shame on you for shitting on the Shogun Warriors legacy.
Too much whining and complaining for a figure no one has actually held or seen in person yet. Almost everyone on this board collects figures or vinyls that don't shoot anything and have limited articulation and somehow enjoy them.

Yes it is a Shogun Warrior and deserves that title.

A Jumbo Dairugger the size alone makes up for lack of gimmicks. A Jumbo Voltron to match makes it feel like my birthday and Christmas combined.

I can't wait till I receive mine.
Hope you love them. Please give us your review ASAP
It may have been mentioned, but those who have received the GoLion, so far, have reported that the red and green lions mouths, or hands, are indeed cut out. Not solid like the promo pics show, and got all our britches bunched.

Also, just to cross info to the OT thread, posted some info and pics from voltron.com
[toyboxdx.com]

And they do have the Jumbos for sale there too, if anyone's looking for another source.
[store.voltron.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2011 09:26PM by repairtechjon.
I bought the LJN Jumbo re-issue that sit on some type of remote cart. I didn't care about the remote cart part but the LJN redo I got for about $100.00 and the lion hands are spring loaded to clamp of the very cool matching sword. I' feeling good about that purchase and is the only reason I'm not going to get the new one but the Car Voltron will be on my list of wants.

It was mentioned that some Jumbo's sit around and no one wants them. What I REALLY wanted was the 60cm Mazinkaiser (30 incles) but the S&H was always about 1/3 of the cost of the figure. I always thought this would have made the people on this site go Ape shi* but not much of a wave. If ANYONE can put me on the path of finding one I'd like to get one. Ebay cant be the only place to find this thing.

For me a Jumbo has to be at least 20" tall (24" officially for me) and have some pose ability. These latest are more like the Power Rangers ones that came out a few years ago (which have since been collectible.)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer