Toynami is Making New Voltron Shogun Warrior Jumbos

Posted by glane21 
Looks like Toynami has acquired the Shogun Warrior naming rights and is making new Jumbo sized Lion and Vehicle Voltrons. They are shown at Toyfair.

[toyfair2010.figures.com]
I just had a literal jaw drop experience. My god. I will own these.
Amazing...wow I feel nostalgic. These will sell very well to the general public even.
Huh.

I just hope they have a realistic understanding of how Voltron works, i.e. the 'Golion' stuff will sell about 10 times better (or more) than the 'Dairugger XV' stuff. If they're OK with that and confident, then hooray for them, huh?

Did I miss the Bandai/Tamashii part of their booth?
What? No Albegas? j/k

Needless to say, I approve of this announcement.

"There's no Bigfoot in The Awakening." -James Bickert
ok heart just started up again.... of all the modern jumbos (excluding the U5's of course) mI think these have the best look of any. Modern and accurate but still keeping the old school aesthetics. Now if the guys at Toynami are smart they'll install Bullmark styled shooting disk launchers in the Dairugger's shoulders along with the shooting fists... oh and the Voltron's Blazing sword better be bright shiny chrome.. I'm just sayin...
These will look good next to the Bandai Creation Power Rangers jumbos.
Anonymous User
It would be nice if these were more than upsized versions of the vinyl figures.
JoshB and Atom got a whole buncha pix and stuff up on CDX.
[www.collectiondx.com]
MattAlt (Admin)
Very interesting -- and quite cool looking! I think they strike a nice balance between old and new school design approaches.

But given the amount of fine detail and the wild color mix of the Dairugger in particular, I suspect Rog is right about them taking a Bandai Creation approach. Some sort of material that can be painted, rather than using the color of the polyethylene as-is. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see!
I wonder if these sell well enough will they be producing other characters. Be pretty cool to get a Godsigma without paying over $4000 for it like the one that just sold on YHJ. Of course the sculp would probably be a little different but still)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hate to be the nay-sayer, but I'm with Daniel. These would be a LOT nicer if they weren't digitally precise blow-ups of their small cheapie vinyl figures. Hell, they're even going to be made outta the same cheap slush-cast vinyl!

As I mentioned in my review of the RVC Voltron III, I'm not particularly impressed with the sculpt. They took way too many needless shortcuts. The fact that they didn't bother to sculpt the lions' legs pulled in against Voltron's limbs is just criminal. And it would appear that they aren't changing that for the "Jumbo".

So at the end of the day, what will you have? A two-foot version of sub-par sculpts with hopefully some shooty fist gimmicks worked into their arms. "Realistic" sculpts, cheap vinyl. That's hardly the "Jumbo" way.

Hey, Brian Flynn's doing it with the Super7 Jumbo Stormtrooper. I was really hoping Toynami would throw their hat in with some "true" Jumbo Voltrons. Well, I'm most likely getting whatever they make from the Dairugger license 'cause I'm nuts like that...but keep in mind: "realistic" 2-foot vinyl figures have been done before by many companies...and they haven't exactly blown away fans...
That being said, Sanjeev, you're still very VERY happy for Josh B. Right? Right?
This is great news, two Jumbo Voltrons is a dream come true. These are Jumbos even if the old school fans don't think so.

Now we have A Jumbo Stormtrooper and Jumbo Voltrons. Hopefully this will encourage other companies to jump into the Jumbo market or for Bandai to jump back in. I would love a Jumbo Megazord Goggle V.
Would it be out of the question for them to last-minute add details (lion legs for example) to set them apart from their smaller counterparts? Regardless I think they're beautiful. Glad I waited on picking up the smaller vinyls.
These are a nice niche. Love that somebody didn't just do jumbos , but brought back the Shogun Warriors name.

JoshB was practically glowing Sun night at dinner. ...Oh waitaminit, that may have been the beer...
MattAlt (Admin)
The fact that they didn't bother to sculpt the lions' legs pulled in against Voltron's limbs is just criminal.

Toei: guilty as charged. :)

Anonymous User
They're robots! They're giant! They're toys! They're giant robot toys!

Win!
I dig the anime style on this and the sculpts... and really, the vinyl as well. I know it has its followers, but I'm not a poly fan. Vinyl will take the awesome paint apps the these sculpts deserve. I'm also really impressed with what looks like a waist joint on Dairugger, the one I'm more likely to pick up.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Way to use science to trump me, Matt! :P

Still...like I said, Fewture, Most Wanted, and High Dream have been making huge robot toys...and no one seemed to give a shit...

That said, I really hope these do well. I like Toynami. I like Voltron.
MattAlt (Admin)
Hell, they're even going to be made outta the same cheap slush-cast vinyl!

Wait a sec -- I just caught this. Is this a confirmed fact? Are these going to be vinyl (rather than styrene, polyethylene, whatever?)
JoshB say-ed that he's looking into it. They were back at Toyfair today, so hopes we gets this settled. The tension is killing me!
Hmmm, since Toynami is apparently losing the Voltron license, maybe they can fill that niche with another beloved but sorely un-merchandised 80's property. I speak of Mighty Orbots!!! How rocking would a line of Orbots toys be?

Look at how many other classic toons Toynami has merchandised (Robotech, Voltron, Thundarr, Herculoids, Birdman, Dynomutt) I'd be surprised if Orbots were not at least considered. Quick, text JoshB and have him ask George Sohn!
Anonymous User
glane21 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmm, since Toynami is apparently losing the
> Voltron license, maybe they can fill that niche
> with another beloved but sorely un-merchandised
> 80's property. I speak of Mighty Orbots!!! How
> rocking would a line of Orbots toys be?

I'm sure there are at least... oh... 8 or 9 other potential customers out there who feel the same way!
Sanjeev (Admin)
MattAlt Wrote:
> Hell, they're even going to be made outta the same
> cheap slush-cast vinyl!
>
> Wait a sec -- I just caught this. Is this a
> confirmed fact? Are these going to be vinyl
> (rather than styrene, polyethylene, whatever?)

Man, *I* just caught this...

I boogered that all up: slush-cast vinyl is the GOOD stuff! Japanese vinyl is all done via slush molding. The cheaper manufacturing process is roto-casting...and that's how the smaller RVC figures are made. Roto is how 99% of Chinese vinyl's made. Great for high-volume output...and for keeping price down...but final quality can be iffy.

I'd be shocked if these were slush-cast. In fact, for such large figures, I don't even see the benefit of slush-casting here.

Thick roto-casting makes sense, though. Most of the modern big robot toys (High Dream's 2-foot Grendizer, Most Wanted's various robots, Fewture's Gigabyte toys) are all roto-cast, right? There's no way these are gonna be blow-molded polyethylene...but I suppose the same styrene Bandai America used in it's Power Ranger jumbos wouldn't be outta the question...
They're super nice and all, but dropping $200 per on these (not including shipping)? Ain't gonna happen. Much as I like them, think what else you could add to your collection for that huge sum...
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> Still...like I said, Fewture, Most Wanted, and
> High Dream have been making huge robot toys...and
> no one seemed to give a shit...

Yeah, but those weren't toys, so we didn't care. The firing fists put these squarely into the toy category, so we do.

I'm really digging the Dairugger, but I'm perfectly happy with my 90s Trendmaster Voltron. Now that's a toy.

Given that Toynami tends to cycle the same licenses endlessly, can we expect some Robotech jumbos? Or are there no upcoming Robotech products (as reported by JoshB) because Toynami is letting that license go, too? (That would make sense if they wanted to make things easier on their Tamashii Nations partner, Bandai.)

Thanks,
--Ken-A
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ken-A Wrote:
> Yeah, but those weren't toys, so we didn't care.
> The firing fists put these squarely into the toy
> category, so we do.

Fair enough.

> I'm really digging the Dairugger, but I'm
> perfectly happy with my 90s Trendmaster Voltron.

Trendmasters did a Voltron I???

Either way, don't get it twisted. There's almost no way I'm NOT getting a Jumbo Dairugger! I've just lost a good 99% of my faith in *new* toys over the last several years.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me...what's this now?...the 60th, 70th time???
I think Ken meant the Trendmasters Ultimate (Lion) Voltron...the big but Fat combiner that had more gizmicks and play features than you can shake a stick at. Ugly but great great toy...especially when you stick those Panosh Place or LJN figures in the cockpits...
Man I loves me a Panosh Voltron.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Ken-A Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm really digging the Dairugger, but I'm
> > perfectly happy with my 90s Trendmaster Voltron.
>
>
> Trendmasters did a Voltron I???

H-man is correct: I was talking about the Ultimate (lion) Voltron. Sorry if I led you astray there. IIRC, he only other "Ultimate" they did was a dreadful "Stealth Voltron," which looked like lion Voltron, only burned and melted.

> Either way, don't get it twisted. There's almost
> no way I'm NOT getting a Jumbo Dairugger!

Me, too. Already trying to budget for it.

> Fool me once, shame on you, fool me...what's this
> now?...the 60th, 70th time???

Only if, like me, you keep buying Yamato products .... :)

H-man Wrote:
> I think Ken meant the Trendmasters Ultimate (Lion)
> Voltron...the big but Fat combiner that had more
> gizmicks and play features than you can shake a
> stick at. Ugly but great great toy...especially
> when you stick those Panosh Place or LJN figures
> in the cockpits...

Or Onell Glyos figures, perhaps ... hmm, I may need to get this out of storage.

Best,
--Ken-A
I have that Trendmasters Voltron. 18 inches tall and combines.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Ken-A Wrote:
(That would make
> sense if they wanted to make things easier on
> their Tamashii Nations partner, Bandai.)

Oh, I don't think that's really a concern at this point, altho I could be blind.

Can someone point me to a place on the Toynami site that discusses all the Bandai/Tamashii releases? I can't find anything posted there about it since the 2008 announcement.

Oh, is it just terrible site design and they don't update it? wow, that's a GREAT way to promote something!

I'd bet something that the Dairugger XV jumbo doesn't get made.

(Shogun Warriors Voltron Jumbo Machinder...man, doesn't that sound like some bad eBay scattershot tagging or what?)
SteveH Wrote:
> I'd bet something that the Dairugger XV jumbo
> doesn't get made.

care to wager your copies of dual magazine?
VF5SS Wrote:
> SteveH Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'd bet something that the Dairugger XV jumbo
> > doesn't get made.
>
> care to wager your copies of dual magazine?

Ahhhh, urrrr....hmmmm.

No, no, I don't think so, sorry. Guess I fail.

And I guess maybe they will get it out there, as it seems to have such a huge profit margin built in. All they need to do is get Ent. Earth or BBTS to pick up a hundred as a store exclusive and I bet they make their nut on it.

I stand behind that it won't sell nearly as many units as the Lions.
Hey Everyone,

Sorry it's taken me so long to chime in here. Just got home from Toy fair.

In regards to the material, it's gonna take a little bit to confirm. We have the audio of our talk with george, but we have to go through it to confirm. SO, that being said, my recollection is that the jumbos would be constructed out of a few different materials. One of which is slush-molded poly. I have to go back and confirm, but George said he wanted them to be made just like the originals.

yes, I am ecstatic about these being made. To me, they look great. Just being in the physical presence of the prototype is amazing. I kind of knew about this for a while, and I take a little credit in that the thing has propellers because of me. (originally it wasn't). I think it is cool that this is happening.

And who knows, it might never come out, right? But George gave me a pretty agressive schedule for these getting to market, so maybe there is hope....
In regards to robotech, i don't know the status of their license, I just know he has "nothing else planned". When asked about a Maia Sterling Beta, he says it isnt likely due to the poor sales of the other betas.

ANy other questions let me know. As we go through our coverage we will dig up more i think...
MattAlt (Admin)
Thanks for the tip! I hope he brings it to fruition, especially if he goes the "multi-media" (rather than just vinyl) approach.

We can argue about whether this really and truly is a Machinder all day, but I think we all agree on one thing: the world needs more big-ass robot toys.
They will both get made and both sell out immediately . I will be buying two of each because because I love voltron so much since it was the first anime robot show I remember watching. I always knew that a Vehicle Voltron would look amazing in Jumbo size.
To be my usual pedantic self, it *can't* be a Machinder because that's a service mark of Bandai, right? Even tho the hobby casually tosses the term 'jumbo machinder' for giant polyvinyls from other makers.

I think it's too bad they don't seek out the companies that DO still make blow molded Polyvinyl toys and job out the manufacturing to them, I think Empire Toys is still in business..heck, Marx still has their setup IIRC (that is, the company that bought up Marx's assets for Big Wheel et al)

I know that China is excelling at 'turn key' product manufacturing, but as the QC issues Toynami ALWAYS seems to have show, sometimes cheap costs more than planned.

Me, color me crazy. I think they'd do MUCH better pricing these things at $50 or less instead of the $200 'designer vinyl' price. but hey, nobody asked me, right? :)
MattAlt (Admin)
To be my usual pedantic self, it *can't* be a Machinder because that's a service mark of Bandai, right?

Right -- but even in Japan, the term basically applies (unofficially, among collectors) to other similar toys. Clover's Dioja and Tryder and Dunbine. Takatoku's Big Dai X. Etc., etc.

I think they'd do MUCH better pricing these things at $50 or less instead of the $200 'designer vinyl' price.

Sure. And even better at $25! Alas, it isn't cheap to manufacture stuff like this. Trust me. I am sure if every kid on the block wanted one, it'd be a different story, but when you're talking about a limited audience of adult collectors, the manufacturing runs are way too small to be able to make up the difference by volume.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer