Joe's Crystal Model appreciation thread.

Posted by Roger 

[www.geocities.co.jp]

[homepage2.nifty.com]
How are the Crusher Joe powered suit kits? the line art on this box cover makes me think a really accurate version would be great.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Anonymous User
I love these things. Had 'em since about 1986. One of them still has the candy in it! (They were like chocolate coated Cocoa Puffs...)

(Rog, I've still got an extra Helico for you.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 10:03PM by AcroRay.
Attachments:
open | download - Crystal Models Box.jpg (144.7 KB)
open | download - Crystal Models.jpg (134.7 KB)
open | download - Crystal Galleon.jpg (109.6 KB)
Sell them to me. I command it.
Anonymous User
Spare Helico's yours. I'd trade the Fox for something else, though, like a Crawler or something, if you've got any extras...
I have no Crystal Models other than the powered suit and it's never leaving my grasp.

What do you want for the Helico?
Anonymous User
Nothing - I promised it to you a while back. :-) But I love my Crystal Models with all my heart and soul, so the others shall never be for sale.

They're pretty valuable memories of my early otaku days. There was a travelling comic book show ("Jubilee Conventions") I went to whenever they had one in my region, and at one show me & a couple of friends went back to the same seller's table over & over and bought him out of a couple of boxes of these one-by-one at $1.50 each until we had his whole stock plus the counter cases. I'm the only one of us who still has them, though.

Interestingly, we never completed the whole set between all of us. No one got the Minerva, and there was a much larger proportion of the Helicopters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2009 09:30AM by AcroRay.
MattAlt (Admin)
Minerva!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2011 12:10AM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - minerva.jpg (139.7 KB)
Yaco appreciates Joe's Crystal Model:

[twitpic.com]
Anonymous User
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yaco appreciates Joe's Crystal Model:
>
>

Series 2!
Those are pretty boss. I like how they branched out from the 'usual' subjects, that's a sign of class.

Acroray, I'm surprised you had such a tough time collecting a full run. It was my experience that back in the '80s the candy companies weren't really doing 'blind box' assortments, SOMEWHERE on the package it indicated which item was included inside.

Of course if you didn't know that, or if a dealer had scoped out the 'good' ones for themselves...well, all kinds of things happened back then, :)

I know the gimmick is that they're clear plastic but I wonder how they would look with careful painting.
MattAlt (Admin)
When Yaco posted that on Twitter, Shinji Aramaki jumped into the conversation to announce that "cutaway illustrations are what mecha love is founded upon." I am ordering everyone reading this thread to get that tattooed on their bodies.
Not to mention obsessive detail...

(I expect Roger to make this a personal icon)
Attachments:
open | download - GP powered suit.jpg (99.4 KB)
Anonymous User
SteveH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Acroray, I'm surprised you had such a tough time
> collecting a full run. It was my experience that
> back in the '80s the candy companies weren't
> really doing 'blind box' assortments, SOMEWHERE on
> the package it indicated which item was included
> inside.

Two tiny boxes of them showed up at a travelling comic convention ("Jubliee Conventions") in our rather limited rural area. With me & about 4 other people buying them out, I think it was more an issue of just limited supply.

We were seriously lucky to get what we did. Someone else probably got the Minerva. There were 6 designs in the set, but only 10 packs per box. Something had to get shorted, even randomly.
MattAlt (Admin)
FOUND in a closet somewhere outside of Nagasaki... A CRYSTAL CACHE!

Three "Gadfly," three "Skateboy," two "Fighters," a "Galleon," a "Dongo," a "Crawler," a "Fox," and a "Minerva." YES!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2011 02:26AM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - yo_joe.jpg (262.5 KB)
MattAlt (Admin)
The interesting thing is the box. Ray said his came with chocolate snacks. These apparently came with tapeworms or cheetohs, I can't tell which.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 11:59PM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - joebox.jpg (373.2 KB)
damn Matt you get all the sweet stuff ;-) nice haul
Do they have chromed bits inside, or is it just the reflection of the flash?

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
MattAlt (Admin)
Chrome!
Anonymous User
A true holy grail! Those things are so damn cool. I hope I can find some more someday...

Good score, Matt, and they're already being put to good use of course!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer