Hasbro brings Micronauts back.

Posted by Roger 
[toynewsi.com]

Let's see if this goes anywhere...
mcfitch (Admin)
Very interesting! I hope this doesn't fall on it's face like the Palisades relaunch from a few years ago.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Mason, maybe you're thinking of SOTA's Micronauts that never materialized? Palisades' stuff may have been lacking, but at least they did bring two waves of product to market.
Anonymous User
This past June, Doc Mego told me something was cooking in the background, via his relationship with Marty.

Tomy/Takara and Abrams-Gentile had also apparently allowed a third party (MIC Holdings in Delaware) to hold the live Micronaut trademarks back in June, according to USPTO records. Abrams-Gentile also just filed for the Micronauts media trademarks, using the same attorney.

Takara has certainly developed enough Microman product with the US market specifically in mind - the Magnepower line being the best example from a design standpoint, perhaps better than the Microman collector figures they most-recently tried to trademark stateside. A number of Transformers toys from the first Bay movie - the little watches, camcorders and other Microchange-like toys - were thought by many on both sides of the pacific as repurposed Microman/Micronaut toy attempts.
Anonymous User
Palisades lost huge amounts of money on Micronauts. The second line was more of a face-saving effort from the start, and didn't pull a profit either.

They found out that intricate little toys like that can't be made well in small production runs. Of course, at the start they were lead to understand that they'd get original tooling to work with, not that they'd have to have it all made themselves.
This is certainly interesting news. Hard to feel optimistic, however, until we start seeing some designs.

More serious than thou
mcfitch (Admin)

Mason, maybe you're thinking of SOTA's Micronauts that never materialized? Palisades' stuff may have been lacking, but at least they did bring two waves of product to market.

No I remember SOTA's concepts. I mean how the quality of the Palisades stuff was so terrible that after reports of so much breakage nobody was buying it. Ray has so much more info on this I'll stop explaining it. Mainly because I got most of my info form him originally ;-)
-Mason

Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
fujikuro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is certainly interesting news. Hard to feel
> optimistic, however, until we start seeing some
> designs.

Maybe, but there's at least one thing to get excited about: Hasbro has a top-to-bottom Marvel license. Presumably, this includes the elements of the Micronauts comics that Marvel owns, like Commander Rann, Marionette, and Bug. I would kill to finally get decent versions of those characters!

OTOH, Hasbro also owns Milton Bradley, which owns ROM. Where the hell is my Marvel ROM figure, Hasbro?!

Best,
--Ken-A
mcfitch (Admin)

OTOH, Hasbro also owns Milton Bradley, which owns ROM. Where the hell is my Marvel ROM figure, Hasbro?!

In the 70s :P
-Mason

Toy Biz was planning a Dire Wraith at some point, check out this page:

[home.earthlink.net]
This is very interesting news indeed! I surely hope it comes true!

Altho it's funny, as Mattel is launching a line of Mego-like Worlds Greatest Super Heros figures...(and some amazingly stupid, non-fan friendly moves, strongly catering to the scalper crowd. BOO!), it's like a bizarre split rebirth of Mego.

I, too, hope for actual comic versions of the various characters. Man, those first twelve issues...

And maybe this will be good for Takara! It's really looked the past couple of years all they've really cared about is cranking out Transformers for Hasbro to repackage. Every other line seems to be sloppy seconds for them. Except maybe Yattaman, that looks like it was a hit.
Anonymous User
I've already had a reporter contact me for background and opinion.
[www.animenewsnetwork.com]

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
I for one would love a return of microman. I own a few of the second series Palisades toys and like them a lot (hey where else was I going to get a complete Red Falcon). Those guys should write a book about the ins and outs of how to get screwed in just about every way in the toy industry.

So where Palisades failed let's hope one of the two 800lbs gorillas of the toy industry can succeed...hey star wars cant last forever can it?...can it?
fel9 Wrote:
> I for one would love a return of microman. I own a
> few of the second series Palisades toys and like
> them a lot (hey where else was I going to get a
> complete Red Falcon). Those guys should write a
> book about the ins and outs of how to get screwed
> in just about every way in the toy industry.
>
> So where Palisades failed let's hope one of the
> two 800lbs gorillas of the toy industry can
> succeed...hey star wars cant last forever can
> it?...can it?

Your grandchildren will be watching the latest installment produced by Lucas' grandchildren.

More serious than thou
mcfitch (Admin)

Your grandchildren will be watching the latest installment produced by Lucas' grandchildren.

Yeah look at the muppets. Jim Henson's kid has kept trudging on with that.
-Mason

mcfitch Wrote:
> OTOH, Hasbro also owns Milton Bradley, which owns
> ROM. Where the hell is my Marvel ROM figure,
> Hasbro?!
>
> In the 70s :P

Where I am, apparently. ;)

mcfitch Wrote:
> Your grandchildren will be watching the latest
> installment produced by Lucas' grandchildren.
>
> Yeah look at the muppets. Jim Henson's kid has
> kept trudging on with that.

Of course, the Henson family only works at the sufferance of Disney these days.

Best,
--Ken-A
mcfitch (Admin)
That's too bad because I'd like me some good new muppet shows.

But back on topic it will be interesting to see what Hasbro does here. Will they simply import the 1999-2000 Magne and LED lines? Possibly one of the best toy lines ever.
-Mason

mcfitch Wrote:
> Yeah look at the muppets. Jim Henson's kid has
> kept trudging on with that.
> -Mason

The Muppets were sold to Disney back in 2004. Jim Henson's kids are doing everything not Muppets including a Fraggle Rock Movie and The Dark Crystal Sequel. They are also do a lot of new and original programing. See: [www.henson.com]

-Randall
>But back on topic it will be interesting to see what Hasbro does here. Will they simply import the 1999-2000 Magne and LED lines? Possibly one of the best toy lines ever.<

Read the link I posted. I think it means Hasbro will be the ones to do figures based on this upcoming Micronauts movie.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
mcfitch (Admin)
Vincent, I read the link you posted. Some anime fansite thinks blah blah blah. I'll wait until I hear official word or something from a credible source.
-Mason

Matthewalt &quot;I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!&quot;
mcfitch Wrote:
> Vincent, I read the link you posted. Some anime
> fansite thinks blah blah blah. I'll wait until I
> hear official word or something from a credible
> source.
> -Mason

Dude, ANN is probably the top and most reliable anime site in existence (through some of the people that run it are ill informed on some things). Besides, they were quoting from the Wall Street Journal.
mcfitch (Admin)
They were quoting from the Wall Street Journal that some business deal has gone down with the license. I still don't see where they tell me what is going to happen with the license. Do you see the difference?

"the top and most reliable anime site in existence" still doesn't mean shit to me about what will be produced toywise.

-Mason

Matthewalt &quot;I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!&quot;
Ray, actually it was MIC Holdings that applied for the remaining trademark claim. AGE appears to have completely ceded all their interests (mere days after TakaraTomy ceded theirs to them) to MIC Holdings. Many of the trademarks still show AGE on the front page, but when checking the assign status, the rest of the story becomes apparent.

I've recently talked with a friend who knows Abiko-san over at Takara Hobby and other associated folks, and things haven't been well at TakaraTomy for Microman. All the associated staff with the exception of Abiko-san have since left Takara Hobby and are working for competitors like Kaiyodo. Development on Transformers with Hasbro is done now by the former Tomy dev team, while Takara's division has been more focused on remote control toys and the like. I expect that design is being handled similar to Transformers, with a US team developing the franchise and a Japanese team engineering the prototypes and adding further direction (so probably the Tomy team on this too, then).

I've posted my own analysis of the Micronaut launch over on Rockettubes.Net: [rockettubes.livejournal.com] and try to narrow down what things we can expect more, what's less likely and what we shouldn't expect. Purely speculative and certainly open for debate, but informed by all the data I've gathered so far at least. :)

Personally, I don't believe the movie will impact the initial launch--JJ Abrams stating something is "in talks" and not even in early production yet would push that back until 2011 or 2012, while Hasbro's plans discussed at the investors' meeting are for 2010-11.

Ken, is there someplace I can find more details about the Hasbro top-to-bottom Marvel license? Has the Disney acquisition impacted that at all (didn't seem so from the investors' meeting report)?
mcfitch Wrote:
> They were quoting from the Wall Street Journal
> that some business deal has gone down with the
> license. I still don't see where they tell me
> what is going to happen with the license. Do you
> see the difference?

The WSJ article says:
"J.J. Abrams, who created the TV show "Lost" and directed this summer's "Star Trek" film, is in discussions to produce a movie about Japanese toy line Micronauts, which Hasbro just acquired."

Vincent says:
"I think it means Hasbro will be the ones to do figures based on this upcoming Micronauts movie."

There's no need to jump all over Vincent's ass when he makes a reasonable supposition based on a reliable news source and makes sure to preface it with "I think..."

Considering Hasbro's strategies with the G.I. Joe and Transformers live-action movies, and how those franchises have played out, I think it's safe to say that whether or not we get a retro Micronauts line, Hasbro will definitely be centering a big merchandise push around the movie.

The most likely course for them to follow with retro-based figures will be all-new, no vintage reissues, no importing of '99-'00 Japanese figures... again, this is based on their behavior with G.I. Joe and Transformers. They tried the reissue thing with those two lines more than once, but it seems like a few years ago they pretty much put a stop to it. I doubt they'd attempt again with a series like Micronauts that they don't have as much of a track record with.

MicroBry makes some excellent points in his post that he linked about what gimmicks Hasbro might integrate into their new product based on the trends currently popular in toys, but I think it's impossible to predict at this point whether Hasbro will try competing on any of these specific levels - magnetic building toys, collectible gaming, computer interaction, etc - or if they'll just stick with basic action figures with shooting missiles, as so many brands do e_e

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
mcfitch (Admin)
Paul,
1) re-read my post. I didn't say they wouldn't do anything for the movie, but rather that I'll wait and see what's officially announced.

2) I'm not jumping down anyone's throat. Again, go back and read what I posted. I can have an opinion that differs from someone else's. I'm not getting lured into an e-argument here. It's fucking done, get it.
-Mason

microbry Wrote:
> I've recently talked with a friend who knows
> Abiko-san over at Takara Hobby and other
> associated folks, and things haven't been well at
> TakaraTomy for Microman. All the associated staff
> with the exception of Abiko-san have since left
> Takara Hobby and are working for competitors like
> Kaiyodo. Development on Transformers with Hasbro
> is done now by the former Tomy dev team, while
> Takara's division has been more focused on remote
> control toys and the like. I expect that design
> is being handled similar to Transformers, with a
> US team developing the franchise and a Japanese
> team engineering the prototypes and adding further
> direction (so probably the Tomy team on this too,
> then).
>

When you say Transformers is being handled by Tomy, do you know if this is this a recent development? A few of the translated interviews I've seen with the Japanese designers for Revenge of the Fallen toys seems to indicate that these are the same designers who worked on Beast Wars and the Unicron Trilogy. I thought there was even one guy who dated back to the original Diaclone/G1 days. I would hate to see these guys punted to RC stuff. I was hopping Microman/Micronauts would get folded into the Transformers development pipeline. I hope the new line isn't handled by the Tomica Rescue Ranger designers (don't know what it is really called). That would make me sad indeed...

-Randall
<I'm not getting lured into an e-argument here.>

"Look, I CAME HERE FOR AN ARGUMENT, I'm not going to just stand here and take this..."

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
asterphage Wrote:

> MicroBry makes some excellent points in his post
> that he linked about what gimmicks Hasbro might
> integrate into their new product based on the
> trends currently popular in toys, but I think it's
> impossible to predict at this point whether Hasbro
> will try competing on any of these specific levels
> - magnetic building toys, collectible gaming,
> computer interaction, etc - or if they'll just
> stick with basic action figures with shooting
> missiles, as so many brands do e_e

Thanks, and right...I agree that it's too soon to make a solid prediction. This was meant more to sort some of the more likely possibilities from the less likely ones. While I would like to think some would work better on the marketplace than others right now, I wouldn't start placing bets on anything just yet. I do hope it's not just a generic action figure line though!
randall29 Wrote:

> When you say Transformers is being handled by
> Tomy, do you know if this is this a recent
> development? A few of the translated interviews
> I've seen with the Japanese designers for Revenge
> of the Fallen toys seems to indicate that these
> are the same designers who worked on Beast Wars
> and the Unicron Trilogy. I thought there was even
> one guy who dated back to the original Diaclone/G1
> days. I would hate to see these guys punted to RC
> stuff. I was hopping Microman/Micronauts would get
> folded into the Transformers development pipeline.
> I hope the new line isn't handled by the Tomica
> Rescue Ranger designers (don't know what it is
> really called). That would make me sad indeed...

Honestly, I don't know. I do know that Yoke-san (who developed much of New Microman and Microchange as well as a number of cool things before them such as the Microman Rescue Base) was still head of the TF development team when Animated was being made, although admittedly that was really last year's production.

I'll check with my contact again and hopefully get some of that cleared up more soon. Perhaps the boys' toys divisions of both Takara and Tomy merged under a single Tomy banner and that was what was being referred to.
All I know is, if there's a Hornetroid or Terraphant reissue I'm all over them!

More serious than thou
microbry Wrote:

> I do know that Yoke-san
> (who developed much of New Microman and
> Microchange as well as a number of cool things
> before them such as the Microman Rescue Base) was
> still head of the TF development team when
> Animated was being made, although admittedly that
> was really last year's production.
>

That explains why I like the rescue base so much... and it reminds me of the fortress from Krull!

Thanks for the info..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer