Holy Grail

Posted by fujikuro 
Wow, I feel like such a w34k toy collector, most of the things I've pined after are newer things, and at prices that a lot of the other toy enthusiasts I know wouldn't really even bat much of an eye at.

See what I get for collecting toys on a pay-my-own-way-through-college budget basis.

For the past few years, the one toy I wanted more than anything else was the Chogokin GD-99 Aquarion, which I admire if nothing else for the nifty engineering that's gone into the transformation.

Thankfully, with any luck, he'll be safely in the mail and on his way to me within the week, so I'm one happy little girl right now.

In many ways to me the things that end up as my "Holy Grail" toys aren't really rare, and sometimes they're not even the thing I want most at the moment - Often what relegates them to this status is prohibitive cost; I just don't have $100-$300 or more of discretionary money just lying around most of the time.

I digress, though. I have an unfinished collection of these poor little "BB-Daman Bakugaiden" marble-shooting guys that were based on bomberman, back from the days when it was allowable to make childrens' toys that shot marbles and ball bearings across the room at glass-shattering velocity. The watered-down modern adaptations just don't cut it compared to the old combining, transforming, marble-spewing monstrosities of old. I'm very sad to say that as far as I know, they're now totally extinct, 'cos they were never that popular to begin with.
"Wow, I feel like such a w34k toy collector"

Nah, I wouldn't worry about that. I think you're just alot younger than some of us. ;) Hell, I certainly couldn't have bought any toys while I was in college. Honestly, it didn't really even kick back in until a few years after college, when I started having a bit of disposable income, and rediscovered some of the stuff from my childhood. You're ahead in the game!

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sent you a PM servbot
MaidenLili Wrote:
> Wow, I feel like such a w34k toy collector, most
> of the things I've pined after are newer things,
> and at prices that a lot of the other toy
> enthusiasts I know wouldn't really even bat much
> of an eye at.

It's important to take all this in context, and realize that it IS all relative to your own collection and financial situation.
I mean, you're on a board where not too long ago one of our members had the almost literally unique opportunity to score a Jumbo Machinder Garada K7, and he got it - one of two, maybe three in the hands of collectors. If ever there was a toy grail, that's it - and this is not for us to feel that our own collections are diminished in comparison, but to draw inspiration from, to feel that no toy is truly lost, that nothing is out of reach, that one day all these objects of legend and rumor will be brought out into the light for us to embrace.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Addendum:
The most holy of grails to me is perhaps the Jumbo Gundam, that weird Italian pseudo-Clover bootleg, but I don't know whether to realistically expect to ever be able to afford it at the time one appears for sale.

Otherwise, my 'grails' are items I've never made a focused effort to find because if I had the money together at any one time, I was never willing to sit on that money until I had the chance to buy one.
Mostly vintage real robot stuff like the Real Type Cloth Musha Gundams Knight Gundam and Commando Gundam, the Clover Core Fighter, the rarer unreissued 1/55 Macross stuff like the aforementioned GBP and the original VE-1 and VT-1, the Orguss M-Lovers, Dorvack Noves, some Dougram items... stuff I know is out there, that some of you other guys have already - except that Clover Core Fighter, no one else seems to care about that but me - but anyway, it's stuff that I'm pretty sure I will have one day, and I'm pretty sure that I'll love them when I do.

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> except that Clover Core Fighter, no one else seems to care about that
> but me
>
Oh, I don't know, I'd say there are some people who sure care quite a bit about it:

[cgi.ebay.ph]

That's Superostrich/Elintseeker money right there.
For me it's less of a case of wanting a 'rare' toy than it is to SEE one in person and making the purchase. In that sense, my immediate 'Grail' would be the Zillion Tri-charger by Sega. Money aside, it's just not fun to bid for one online.
My small list:

- 1/55 Elintseeker.
- Machine Robo DX red VW 1303S - the last of the MRDX color variants I need, but not for several hundred dollars.
- Machine Robo Big Truck Robo (black and yellow, Winner Robo transport)
- DX Robo Machine all red Fairlady 280Z (first Euro release of the Machine Robo DX Fairlady 280Z, later ones have a different color scheme and copyright, and no, it isn't the same as an US Zeemon - needs to be boxed, too).
- Very early carded Robo Machine regular toy - has digital watch-letters-logo.
- Alternate packaging Robo Machine Power Suit (likely only released in France)
- TheWinch Robo Helicopter (blue) in Robo Machine box.
- Robo Machine RoboKong.
- Rocklords dinosaur combiner (Euro box).
- Ultra-late (and extremely rare) Robo Machine Challenge of the Gobots releases - released post-1987 in certain European countries (which had Gobots up to 1989-1990) only.
- Boxed regular Robo Machines (1993) toys - released in Germany only.
- Virtual-On Real Model Apharmd.

Stuff I'm not sure of whether it exists, but if it does - WAN..no...NEED!!!:
- DX Robo Machine red VW 1303S, white Porsche 930 - the other color variants exist, so why not these? Likewise, both colors of Saladin Mk.2 in Robo Machine box. Also, Land Commander 5 in Euro box (if it exists).

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
drifand Wrote:
> For me it's less of a case of wanting a 'rare' toy
> than it is to SEE one in person and making the
> purchase. In that sense, my immediate 'Grail'
> would be the Zillion Tri-charger by Sega. Money
> aside, it's just not fun to bid for one online.

I would guess that might be more fun. In this area there's no stores that would carry anything other than the occasional beat up loose Shogun Warriors toy.

More serious than thou
mcfitch (Admin)

Wow, I feel like such a w34k toy collector, most of the things I've pined after are newer things, and at prices that a lot of the other toy enthusiasts I know wouldn't really even bat much of an eye at.

No need to feel that way at all for the reasons mentioned above.

I digress, though. I have an unfinished collection of these poor little "BB-Daman Bakugaiden" marble-shooting guys that were based on bomberman, back from the days when it was allowable to make childrens' toys that shot marbles and ball bearings across the room at glass-shattering velocity. The watered-down modern adaptations just don't cut it compared to the old combining, transforming, marble-spewing monstrosities of old. I'm very sad to say that as far as I know, they're now totally extinct, 'cos they were never that popular to begin with.

Send me a picture of these things when you can. I think I have a bunch of them never opened in the basement.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
gingaio Wrote:
> asterphage Wrote:
> > except that Clover Core Fighter, no one else
> seems to care about that
> > but me
> >
> Oh, I don't know, I'd say there are some people
> who sure care quite a bit about it:

Yeah, but does anyone on TBDX have one? I don't recall ever seeing it in anyone's photos, and I'd like to hear a little about gimmicks and fun factor from an owner.

-Paul Segal

For all we know, the winning bidder could be a TBDX reader. Given the relatively low percentage of the population that regularly posts and shows pictures of collections, I'd say there's a good chance there's a lot of fairly obscure stuff we haven't seen or heard much mention of.

Though I would echo your request for more info on the damn thing. It's gorgeous.
mcfitch Wrote:
>
> Fujikuro,
> Pinky (my cat) has moved onto Megos as
> toy-bed-grails go. She may be willing to
> relenquish her former Dyjupiter Kitty Bed though
> I'm not sure what the exchange rate from USD to
> chin scratches and head pats is.
> -Mason

Assuming you were being serious here, what's the going rate for a used kitty bed?

More serious than thou
mcfitch (Admin)
Oh shit, sorry man I was just joking around. Didn't mean to play with your emotions.
-Mason

Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
mcfitch Wrote:
> Oh shit, sorry man I was just joking around.
> Didn't mean to play with your emotions.
> -Mason

Ha! You cruel man! Actually, that was quite lame on my part... thought I had done a reply via PM. Blech, sorry!

More serious than thou
Bullmark diecast Angilas. So funky!

And the perfect transition piece between the Bullmark and the Ark diecasts.
ChemicalEggs Wrote:
> Bullmark diecast Angilas. So funky!
>
> [toyboxdx.com]
> /angilas.jpg
>
> And the perfect transition piece between the
> Bullmark and the Ark diecasts.

Oh, that's great!

More serious than thou
"Meisaku Kamen Rider. Whoops, and no. I've seen it on occasion....but haven't pulled the trigger".

Hillsy the Meisaku KR MIB runs over 1600.00 I got outbid on the only MIB one I have ever seen at 1700 on YHJ.

a BEAUTIFUL toy.
Jumbo Daiku MIMB

That might be the only Gaiking toy I wont eventually have...simply because finding a good box is near impossible and it will go over 10k in the shape I want it in..
<<<<Bullmark diecast Angilas. So funky!

How rare is that? I've only seen pictures and saw a picture of one next to the other diecasts and it looks a lot bigger than the others. Never seen one on sale or noticed.

My holy grails are

16" Bullmark Ultraman Tin Battery Operated Walker
Eidai Grip Jumbo Mach 5 (white version)

THere are many other stuff that I want but I don't think you can call it a holy grail. Trying hard to create a good collection of Jumbo Machinders and other rare tins.
i am not a tin guy, but someday I want to pick up the bullmark tin rajicon monsters, gojira, gigan etc. that would be cool. not a priority though.

i think that the jumbo daiku is the best jumbo out there as it is also a play set for the popinica gaiking sidekicks.... i would imagine that as a gaiking collector, that one and the base playset are the two mass production toys that are considered awesome....

oh, another holy grail for me is the denki groove chogokin..... that is going to be a bitch to get though....
i also want someone to make those building bots that were featured in the movie "BIG". what do they do? who cares. they are a stinkin' pile of AWESOME.
mcfitch (Admin)
Cohiba,
"I don't get it."
-Mason

Matthewalt &quot;I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!&quot;
gaiking123 Wrote:
> <<<<Bullmark diecast Angilas. So funky!
>
> How rare is that? I've only seen pictures and saw
> a picture of one next to the other diecasts and it
> looks a lot bigger than the others. Never seen one
> on sale or noticed.

I don't know, Ive never seen one for sale either, unfortunately. I guess that makes it pretty damn rare.
SHE Gao Figh Gar
SHE Godannar
SHE Getter Robo
SHE Goldymarg
SHE Dancouga
SHE mightgaine, might kaiser, and the gun dude.

I totally don't have any of them.
MaidenLili Wrote:
> See what I get for collecting toys on a
> pay-my-own-way-through-college budget basis.
>

Ha! I was paying-my-way through Cal when I stumbled upon Kimono My House and Fred Schott's manga book. Turn back now!
Ah yes - that big Clover core fighter. Just amazing.

Might as well throw Battle Shark combination and Denzitiger DX on the list. I also forgot to mention the Clover Zambot 3 DX - gloriously wantable.

Better toss Clover Daitarn Dendou Kyodai into the cart as well. In fact, anything resembling a true-character battery-op Mecharobo could pretty much be on my grail list.

All these are still several notches below Popy Tora-Sobu Raideen though.
Is Kimono My House still around? I remember it being pretty much the only place on the west coast that had a substantial amount of vintage Japanese toys.
bt1
Ultimate grail for me that will forever be out of reach is the Technical Gasshin - beautiful piece.

Grail that is within reach would be the Daikengo Buildplan. Not happening just yet, but I'll have it - just have to be ready to beat back those Italians ;)

As for Angillas, they show up from time to time. Here was a recent one in complete condition.

[page21.auctions.yahoo.co.jp]

If the box was not so faded/worn, I would expect $900-1000 for it. Not cheap, expecially relative to the Arks/Bullpets.
kiriko Wrote:
> SHE Godannar

Yes indeed. I believe I rhapsodized in the recent 'SHE closing shop' thread about how, like their Perfect Change Getter, the Godanner is a work of startling audacity and ambition, and somehow, improbably, appears to be a complete success, in design, engineering, execution and production.
A robot toy that *mechanically* changes color throughout its whole body? Who would have conceived of such a thing, who would have attempted it? It's one of the greatest toy design/engineering acheivements of the modern era.
Its limited, handcrafted production, endemic to SHE's works, its presumable fragility, and its high cost, all have done nothing to dispel its enthralling siren-song. I am still in love with this toy.

-Paul Segal

Jesus Christ, this thing is awesome.

[alma.skr.jp]
Two holy grails finally are coming to me.

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

They don't have Robotman Dean though.

Another one of mine is that the original Megazord is back (although not exactly the original mold, it's close enough that I don't care).

There's old stuff I's like to get (like a DX Flashking) but I don't dwell on trying to find old toys as there's always new stuff (including some reissues of various old toys) that I'd rather acquire.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2009 08:45PM by Vincent Z..
My holy grails tend to change my tastes in collecting. Over 12 years ago, I was really into Macross Valkyries. Of course I wanted the fabled VF-1D. Has it finally been determined if this even exists? Of course the Max/Millia Marriage Set is also another grail.

Nowadays, it is things I know exist that I am wanting. At least thinking I have a chance to get it is what makes it fun.
It's been pretty well proven that the marriage set has never existed. It's a great concept and had I been a japanese businessman at the time, I would've pitched the product idea. But in all reality. Never was.
asterphage Wrote:
> kiriko Wrote:
> > SHE Godannar
>
> Yes indeed. I believe I rhapsodized in the recent
> 'SHE closing shop' thread about how, like their
> Perfect Change Getter, the Godanner is a work of
> startling audacity and ambition, and somehow,
> improbably, appears to be a complete success, in
> design, engineering, execution and production.
> A robot toy that *mechanically* changes color
> throughout its whole body? Who would have
> conceived of such a thing, who would have
> attempted it? It's one of the greatest toy
> design/engineering acheivements of the modern era.
> Its limited, handcrafted production, endemic to
> SHE's works, its presumable fragility, and its
> high cost, all have done nothing to dispel its
> enthralling siren-song. I am still in love with
> this toy.

what sucks is that Godannar was a favorite new mecha show of mine. when I saw the SHE version, I thought it was something you unscrewed and switched the color panels. I knew SHE was known for it's tranforming toys, but I doubted this one. So I could've picked it up, but I thought it was going to be lame. then after I learned more about what SHE does and found out what the Godannar was capable of, it was too late.
I don't know if it's a 'grail' persay, as it's totally do-able, but right now the thing I keep thinking about looking for is an original Bullmark Mogera, the green with blue spray version. There's some out there, but they're not really the 'one' I want... I want one that is not broken, but is not minty either... I'd almost prefer it to have writing on the foot and a little paint wear, and some 'history' to it... but I'm too thinly spread to look for one right now.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn...a couple years ago, I saw one of those Mogera's. It was basically in the condition you described. Shit...did we even talk about it then!?? :P
YEAH BABY!!! Exactly two years after posting this, look what I received in the mail!!!

Okay, so I have to live in fear that my wife finds out how much this kit cost me and removes my genitalia in my sleep... but hey!... I got my Holy Grail!!!

}D

The_Mazinger_Z Wrote:
> These are my Holy Grails... never to be found:
>
> [img3.imageshack.us]
> nsfigures.jpg
>
> They are so awesome!
>
> }D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 12:36AM by The_Mazinger_Z.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I think if your wife cuts off your genitalia, you wouldn't be sleeping. But let's hope we never find out! :P

Congrats on the pick-up!
As my signature more or less suggests, my Holy Grail is the Popy GA37 DX Grendizer and saucer. I am looking for the Japanese or European version. I still haven't found what I am looking for because there are too many repaints or repairs on the market...

Click here to login

footer