Bandai's S.H.Figuarts

Posted by Runaphen 
Damn yo. Now they makin' Piccolo. An' the sculpt looks gooood.

[www.toysdaily.com]
Wow! Piccolo looks darn nice even though that fig is just a uncolored prototype!!
Are they making a Goku? Otherwise, I really don't understand this line... is it mainly for secondary characters? Granted, they're making a KR Decade and such, but a lot of the previous entries are not the main KRs, and you'd think they'd milk that for all it's worth.
DBZ...bah.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
fujishig Wrote:
> but a lot of the previous entries are not the main KRs,
> and you'd think they'd milk that for all it's worth.

Bandai is muthafuckin' STRATEGERIZING. They can't release everything at once; they have to space it out, so they still have guaranteed top-sellers left to release years from now.
Really, I wouldn't have it any other way, considering the "non-headliner" items they have been releasing. "Another Agito", the Zero armor from Kakugo no Susume, most of the major Imagins from KR Den-O (with hilarious accessories), the Zectrooper to go with all the other KR Kabuto stuff they've put out...

Hey, by the way, does anyone have any really good scale reference on SH Figuarts vs. items like Figmas and Megahouse "Action Works" figures? The upcoming Action Works Metalder ( ) is freakin' gorgeous and it would be great if it was a reasonable size to hang out with the SH Figuarts.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
I hope the Metalder is better than the AW Space Sheriff stuff they put out. Those were craptastic. Those are about the same size as the ArmorTrans figures.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I agree! That Metalder sure is gorgeous!!

I hope the samurai [IIRC, Ryo in America's version]has good stability & the armor pieces hook on securely.
Is this the same line that a prototype figure of Doman Kashu (sp), the main pilot from G Gundam, was shown at some toy show last year? Whatever happened to that?
asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> fujishig Wrote:
> > but a lot of the previous entries are not the
> main KRs,
> > and you'd think they'd milk that for all it's
> worth.
>
> Bandai is muthafuckin' STRATEGERIZING. They can't
> release everything at once; they have to space it
> out, so they still have guaranteed top-sellers
> left to release years from now.
> Really, I wouldn't have it any other way,
> considering the "non-headliner" items they have
> been releasing. "Another Agito", the Zero armor
> from Kakugo no Susume, most of the major Imagins
> from KR Den-O (with hilarious accessories), the
> Zectrooper to go with all the other KR Kabuto
> stuff they've put out...
>
> Hey, by the way, does anyone have any really good
> scale reference on SH Figuarts vs. items like
> Figmas and Megahouse "Action Works" figures? The
> upcoming Action Works Metalder (
> ) is freakin'
> gorgeous and it would be great if it was a
> reasonable size to hang out with the SH Figuarts.

I thought Bandai's MO was to release a line of figures, get bored within a few years, then create a whole new line of figures in a slightly different scale and/or design? I mean, didn't these Figuarts pretty much replace that St-Seiya-bodied armored line, much like Robot Spirits seems to be replacing HCM Pro?
glane21 Wrote:
> Is this the same line that a prototype figure of
> Doman Kashu (sp), the main pilot from G Gundam,
> was shown at some toy show last year? Whatever
> happened to that?

apparently it came out?

[www.amazon.com]
So far, SH-Figurearts has been a total turn off for me. The detailing is top notch and the added poseability is great but I find the less rigid type of PVC (already a minus) used in the legs to be a real joy killer. I noted this change from plastic/ABS for the legs in the Trans-armor Kiva, and subsequently in the shFART (heh) KR The First 1, 2 and V3. The problem? They just don't hold a pose well. You position them just so... and when you lift off your hands, the jelly legs bounced back just a fraction so that the figure is no longer stable. Sucks ass big time.

Oh, and also because the Trans-armor series was way more fun to collect in the first place. I loved those goofy shrunken heads!
I'm sad to hear yous guys' opinions of the Action Works and SH Figuarts... it seems like none of these new human-character figure lines can really hold up to any stress. I've heard some bad stuff from friends about Figmas' fragile parts, too.

> I thought Bandai's MO was to release a line of
> figures, get bored within a few years, then create
> a whole new line of figures in a slightly
> different scale and/or design?

I don't know, it depends on what you consider "a few years". Souchaku Henshin lasted for eight years, MSIA lasted for nine years, SIC has been running for a decade and counting, Gundam FIX has been running for eight years... Heck, even HCM Pro has run for half a decade already.

> I mean, didn't
> these Figuarts pretty much replace that
> St-Seiya-bodied armored line,

If you're referring to the "Souchaku Henshin"/"Armor Transform" line, then yes, it seems that SH Figuarts has replaced that - but structurally the figures do not seem to be very similar. SH Figurarts definitely looks in body structure to be more of an emulation of Max Factory's "Figma" line, with smooth, mostly-concealed joints and no visible screws or anything. However, I believe they are about the same scale - at 14cm, SH Figuarts may be a little taller than Souchaku Henshin, but not by that much.

> much like Robot Spirits seems to be replacing HCM Pro?

I have no idea what you're talking about here. It seems pretty obvious that Robot Damashii has replaced the MSIA line, for two reasons:
-Robot Spirits are the same size as MSIAs.
-They have basically stopped making MSIAs since that last gasp of MS Igloo-based ones. Though I'd say it's even money that we see an EMIA Zaku repaint of that white Zaku with a lizard on its shield that they're doing as the latest Master Grade kit.

With Gundam 00 season 2, all the "good guy" mecha came out in both HCM Pro and Robot Damashii. There was a lull in HCMs while they continued to produce 00s2 antagonist mecha as Damashiis, but HCM Pro continues, with the just-announced upcoming larger-scale SHCM Pro of the Unicorn Gundam. It's only one currently announced release, sure, but it's a totally new direction, not languishing in repaints.

-Paul Segal

I have the Another Agito figure. I love it. It's around 5" tall. I have no idea how that compares to other figure lines right now. I don't care. I just love AA.

I had the SIC AA and the Medicom RAH AA before. They were both... Detailed, but ultimately so-so. The Figure-Fart version is by far the most fun representation of the character ever. Well sculpted, superbly concealed crazy articulation, and just the right amount of accessories. The only downside is the PVC. If they had used the same hard plastic you now find in the Robot Spirits line, it would have been the perfect toy/work-of-art.

Also, they should have added the gross scar/stitches on the left arm where it gets torn off and then later re-attached/grown. Why do almost all the version of the character leave that off? It so... Cool.

I sincerely hope they eventually get to Hakaider. I'd kill for a Figure-Fart of him. Or even his wanna-be clone from Metalder.
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> I sincerely hope they eventually get to Hakaider.
> I'd kill for a Figure-Fart of him. Or even his
> wanna-be clone from Metalder.

Well, since Metalder's in Megahouse Action Works now, that'd where we'd probably see Topgunder. I didn't want to even mention the possibility, though, because I'm afraid I'd jinx it. That would be just too great.

-Paul Segal

Anonymous User
@fujishig:

bandai's been experimenting with SHFarts(lol)'s lineup. at first it's just main character riders and riders who did not get an armor trans, but now they're branching out into other characters like g gundam's domon kasshu and cure dream from precure. also, it seems they're redoing all of the kabuto riders, even the ones that had armor trans, so we'll see. and yeah, figuarts replaced souchaku henshin, but souchaku henshin had a pretty long life, and the technology got pretty old. figuarts can use new engineering to fix shit like the loose hips, and put in new stuff like clear, detailed eyes.

as for robot spirits and hcm pro, robot spirits didn't replace hcm pro. it replaced msia for playable gundam action figures. hcm pro are preassembled model kits for display. hcm pro stopped on its own. right now all the life is in the SHCM pro line.

...wait why am i typing all of this, asterphage already answered all the questions.

@drifand:
in any case, it appears that SHFiguarts are actually moving away from ball jointed hips and are moving into hips with multiple swivels for a better, more secure connection. i'll be able to tell you more once i get my SHF black, which has those swivel hip joints.
Thanks for the updates on all the lines. I'm not as avid a toy importer as I used to be (escalating yen and shipping prices, as well as toy prices overall, don't help), so I have a few of the original souchaku henshin toys (some original riders and some Ryuki stuff), and was surprised that they hadn't released the main riders for the newer series, especially with Decade and the nostalgia kick. I see they do have a Figuart of Kuuga, who was the first SH (and also the easiest to milk repaints of)

Ordered my first Figuarts yesterday (movie V1 and V3), and even though those are the oldest and probably worst of the bunch, I guess that's the only V3 I'll get until they get around to the originals (I guess they did Black RX).

I have one HCM Pro, the Exia, and was a little disappointed that all the focus seems to be on Robot Spirits now, since I now have MSIA, Extended MSIA, Fix, and Fix metal figures all in slightly different scales. I guess I don't understand why they keep changing the scale on these. Well, besides $$$.
fujishig Wrote:
> I have one HCM Pro, the Exia, and was a little
> disappointed that all the focus seems to be on
> Robot Spirits now, since I now have MSIA, Extended
> MSIA, Fix, and Fix metal figures all in slightly
> different scales. I guess I don't understand why
> they keep changing the scale on these. Well,
> besides $$$.

Well, MSIA, EMIA and Robot Damashii Gundams are all in the same scale - though since they're not given a nominal scale in the first place, Bandai's free to dick around with the size as befits the anime stylings of the figures. We have the original MSIAs to thank for both the strange size and the fact that they have no official scaling... and as exciting as those toys were back in the day, most of 'em kind of look like crap now, so thanks for nothing, MSIA series. AND WHERE'S MY EMIA Z'GOK

FIX are in the same scale as Super HCM Pros and the vast majority of Gundam model kits (and a lot of prize toys, like SCMs and Diecast Creative whatever), and FIX Metal are in the same scale as Master Grade kits. The 1/144 and 1/100 scales have remained constant since the earliest days of Gundam merchandising, and thank god for that... at least you can take advantage of the overlap between lines. Bandai surely knows that while some people would much rather buy a SHCMP Unicorn Gundam, they'll consider a High Grade 1/144 Kshatriya to be an acceptable substitute, since that mech that will probably never make it into any toy line.

It's the little HCM Pros that are the real oddballs... and that decision, along with the decision to make MSIAs smaller than 1/144, were probably the two moves here motivated only by pure profit potential and marketing strategy. Smaller toys, less plastic, lower price point, higher sales volume.

-Paul Segal

Anonymous User
it's because bandai wants to capture different markets all at once.

robot spirits - aimed at the crowd that wants durable action figures from a variety of shows. not a lot of detail and does look a bit bland most of the time, but strong joints and a variety of shows.

hcm pro - aimed at the gundam crowd who likes to display model kits, but don't have the time/space/circumstances to work with their own kits, so HCM Pros have excellent detail and articulation, but questionable joint durability.

gundam fix - aimed at the gundam crowd with a hardon for hajime katoki's work AND don't have the time/space/circumstance to make their own 3d representations of katoki's design for display, so they have excellent detail and if you like katoki, excellent design, but terrible articulation and durability.

gundam fix metal composite/gundam fix figuration next - aimed at the gundam crowd with a hardon for hajime katoki's work AND don't have the time/space/circumstance to make their own 3d representations of katoki's design for display AND actually want to play with their robot toys, so they have excellent detail and excellent durability. articulation is a bit ok, but GFFMC/GFFN are usually crazy shit like Z2/ Zplus / Psycho Gundam, so it's still fun to play with. I guess.

msia - aimed at people who want cheap, affordable, durable gundam toys.

emsia - aimed at people who want cheap, affordable, durable, good looking gundam toys.
Well one thing I liked about the HCM Pros is that at 1/200 scale it was more feasible to larger sized robots and even one Mobile Armor sized one all in one line. Its sad that they never followed up that HCM Pro Destroy Gundam with a proper Psyco Gundam. And the small scale meant you could get a few more oddballs like the Nemo and GM[G] Sniper. We never did get that Methuss or Flag Fighter ;_;
Apharmd Wrote:
> robot spirits - aimed at the crowd that wants
> durable action figures from a variety of shows.
> not a lot of detail and does look a bit bland most
> of the time, but strong joints and a variety of
> shows.

Hah, the entire formula you're describing there is basically an imitation of Revoltech :3 same goes for GN-U Dou, too, in my opinion. Of course, the degree of blandness varies with the individual robot design they're representing, and how well their sculptors are suited to it...
It ties in to these Figmas and Figuarts and Action Workses, though, and Takara's Micro Action series before them... whether humanoid or robotoid, everyone wants one toy line that can include any subject they can get their hands on.

> hcm pro - aimed at the gundam crowd who likes to
> display model kits, but don't have the
> time/space/circumstances to work with their own
> kits,

I see a few of you people repeating this party line that goes back to the original '80s HCM line, but I'm not sure that it really applies to HCM Pro. The figures themselves don't resemble the current Gundam kits much at all, and the painting and finishing on them isn't that great - certainly no better than the painting and finishing on the average recent MSIA, or the Robot Damashiis I've seen in person. It's the EMIAs, really, that resemble a nicely painted model in terms of finishing and production quality. As the HCM Pro line goes on, it's inherited a lot of the aspects of FIXes in terms of paint decoration, in its special finish versions (the special coating Nu Gundam in particular has VERY FIX-esque markings) and the text deco on many of the later First Gundam machines (particularly the Gouf and groundtype Zakus) and on the whole Char's Counterattack batch... but neither the HCM Pro nor the FIXes ever really lined up to the QC one would expect from a product that emulates a painted model kit. The FIXes just emulated that stylistically with their fully painted surfaces and wild marking schemes... the HCM Pros, though, are all over the place.

-Paul Segal

Anonymous User
asterpage:

yeah, but RD's similarity to Revoltech ends on the surface. anyone who's owned a revoltech knows that it isn't a toy per se, but it's an articulated statue (much like everything kaiyodo has done). i don't really have a problem with it considering that kaiyodo wasn't aiming for something durable, but something that won't lose their pose over time. the thing is, i find it nigh-impossible to treat revoltech as a toy simply because it feels so unnatural to move one. the non-revoltech joints are made of swivels that don't really feel natural, but they can achieve the poses they're set out to do. but often, they actually do get loose along with the revoltech joint connections to the actual body parts. they do look nice though, barring the occasional QC error on paint.

never purchased a gnu-dou though, so i can't comment on yamato's entries other than they're FREAKIN' EXPENSIVE and i can't believe i have to buy a super pack set just for a waist ball joint for the YF-19.

on HCM pro, well i can understand that, but the lack of emphasis on durability and instead, the emphasis on articulation, super sculpted detail and printing makes me believe that they weren't meant to be toys in the sense of playability. but i agree, the paint QC on HCM pros are terrible and feel cheap, but that's really bandai's issue more than anything else.

maybe that's why the line is dead now. :)
I think we need a CDX vid of someone throwing a Revoltech against a wall to prove it's a toy.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
asterphage Wrote:
> I see a few of you people repeating this party
> line that goes back to the original '80s HCM line,
> but I'm not sure that it really applies to HCM
> Pro. The figures themselves don't resemble the
> current Gundam kits much at all, and the painting
> and finishing on them isn't that great - certainly
> no better than the painting and finishing on the
> average recent MSIA, or the Robot Damashiis I've
> seen in person. It's the EMIAs, really, that
> resemble a nicely painted model in terms of
> finishing and production quality. As the HCM Pro
> line goes on, it's inherited a lot of the aspects
> of FIXes in terms of paint decoration, in its
> special finish versions (the special coating Nu
> Gundam in particular has VERY FIX-esque markings)
> and the text deco on many of the later First
> Gundam machines (particularly the Gouf and
> groundtype Zakus) and on the whole Char's
> Counterattack batch... but neither the HCM Pro nor
> the FIXes ever really lined up to the QC one would
> expect from a product that emulates a painted
> model kit. The FIXes just emulated that
> stylistically with their fully painted surfaces
> and wild marking schemes... the HCM Pros, though,
> are all over the place.

I picked up a few ExMSiAs on sale and wasn't that impressed with them. The QC was so-so and most of the looked/felt like low-def 80s renditions of the machines using modern technology. As action figure things, they're a success. But as finished models? I don't feel it. The PVC is just too soft to get the job done.

I have two or three Robot Spirit figures and they're... Like MSiAs with a more durable material based. But that's it. They certainly aren't detailed enough for their size to pass as a model.

Some HCM-Pros, on the other hand, really feel like 1/200 MG kits to me. Right out of the box the special coating Sazabi has to be one of the most beautiful model-figures EVER. Same goes for nearly all the 08th MS stuff - the Gouf and Zaku are GENIUS. The fact that they could cram so much detail into an extremely poseable figure the same size as a Star Wars or GI Joe toy is amazing.

Having said that, the line was about 50% booty. The early racing-stripe aesthetic really took a dump on some otherwise excellent figures, like the Gouf. The Zeta Gundam and SEED stuff was sketchy, too. Not because of QC problems (I never had any at all) but because they were so... Uninspired, bland, and unfinished.

Compare the first run Gun Cannon to the second edition. It's the same figure, but with new deco and markings. And the latter is glorious - the best rendition of the Gun Cannon yet. If Bandai had started out where they finished with the line it would've been pure gold. I wish they would have popped out The-O, Xamel, desert Dom, Gelgoog Cannon, and all the War in the Pocket machines... But whatever. There made some real gems while it lasted.
So, if MSiAs sucked balls, then Robot Spirits suck slighty smaller balls? Or would that just be a licking as opposed to a full on suck?

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2009 04:03PM by hillsy.
hillsy Wrote:
> So, if MSiAs sucked balls, then Robot Spirits suck
> slighty smaller balls? Or would that just be a
> licking as opposed to a full on suck?

I would say they are ball neutral panty sniffers instead.
Apharmd Wrote:
> yeah, but RD's similarity to Revoltech ends on the
> surface. anyone who's owned a revoltech knows that
> it isn't a toy per se, but it's an articulated
> statue (much like everything kaiyodo has done). i
> don't really have a problem with it considering
> that kaiyodo wasn't aiming for something durable,
> but something that won't lose their pose over
> time. the thing is, i find it nigh-impossible to
> treat revoltech as a toy simply because it feels
> so unnatural to move one. the non-revoltech joints
> are made of swivels that don't really feel
> natural, but they can achieve the poses they're
> set out to do. but often, they actually do get
> loose along with the revoltech joint connections
> to the actual body parts. they do look nice
> though, barring the occasional QC error on paint.

IMO, this is a matter of the design of the individual figure. There are plenty of Revos that make me angry (I'm still heartbroken over the shitty hip joints on King Gainer, and the Patlabor figures are a travesty) but when they really work on using Revoltech joints EVERYWHERE, like on Black Ox, they come out very, very nicely. I haven't had any problems with revolver joints connecting to regular figure body/limb parts - if anything, they often feel TOO TIGHT, where I worry that the stress I put on the joint while trying to rotate one of its stems in its socket is going to damage the clicky joint itself (for example: the joints that hold the two big cylinder thingies onto the Brocken labor's backpack). This is why they have Revoltech pliers now, apparently... I certainly wouldn't mind having a pair of those.

> never purchased a gnu-dou though, so i can't
> comment on yamato's entries other than they're
> FREAKIN' EXPENSIVE

Well, like MSIAs (and, I'm assuming, Robot Damashiis, though I don't have any yet) and Revoltechs, they're clearly using a standard set of joint technology, making moderate adjustments per each figure design. I have a Kenryu on the way, so I'll see soon enough whether it's an apt comparison, or whether it's more like those sharp, slick but fall-aparty Gundam FIX "Frame Models" :d

> on HCM pro, well i can understand that, but the
> lack of emphasis on durability and instead, the
> emphasis on articulation, super sculpted detail
> and printing makes me believe that they weren't
> meant to be toys in the sense of playability.

I'm not really sure why you say emphasis on articulation is opposed to playability. I'd say they're certainly a step closer to a toy than the FIX figures, which work the styling at the expense of articulation.

Gcrush Wrote:
> I picked up a few ExMSiAs on sale and wasn't that
> impressed with them. The QC was so-so and most of
> the looked/felt like low-def 80s renditions of the
> machines using modern technology. As action
> figure things, they're a success. But as finished
> models? I don't feel it. The PVC is just too
> soft to get the job done.

Okay, yeah, they're not hard plastic, but the heavily airbrushed, preshaded, weathered look is definitely something derived from trends in model kit magazine build-ups that Bandai latched onto several years back. For a while, pretty much every product photo they had on their kit boxes had that style of painting. Check out the High Grade L-Gaim and Dunbine lines in particular.

As for the 80s anime styling on the First Gundam mecha, that was a whole trend. First the HGUC RX-78, Zaku, Dom, etc, then the EMIA stuff, some random items like the prize toy and trading figure sofubis, and most recently the MG RX-78 and Zaku ver. 2.0. The EMIAs are just the most extreme of these (excluding perhaps the sofubis).

> Some HCM-Pros, on the other hand, really feel like
> 1/200 MG kits to me. Right out of the box the
> special coating Sazabi has to be one of the most
> beautiful model-figures EVER. Same goes for
> nearly all the 08th MS stuff - the Gouf and Zaku
> are GENIUS. The fact that they could cram so much
> detail into an extremely poseable figure the same
> size as a Star Wars or GI Joe toy is amazing.

Yeah, they're detailed, and generally slick looking, but most HCM Pro figures suffer from the same old problems - uneven plastic color or knit lines, scars where the parts were cut off the sprues.
Having everything molded in the right color could pass for a "completed model" back when the original HCM line came out, but now that the actual model kits have generally near-perfect color seperation (and, often, perfectly concealed sprue scars), I think something more is required.

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
> Well, like MSIAs (and, I'm assuming, Robot
> Damashiis, though I don't have any yet) and
> Revoltechs, they're clearly using a standard set
> of joint technology, making moderate adjustments
> per each figure design.

The few Robot Spirits that I have didn't seem to share any standardized joint tech. The ball joints might be the same size across figures, but I never checked. And the hinge joints use a type of metal pin that isn't particularly special.

> Yeah, they're detailed, and generally slick
> looking, but most HCM Pro figures suffer from the
> same old problems - uneven plastic color or knit
> lines, scars where the parts were cut off the
> sprues.
> Having everything molded in the right color could
> pass for a "completed model" back when the
> original HCM line came out, but now that the
> actual model kits have generally near-perfect
> color seperation (and, often, perfectly concealed
> sprue scars), I think something more is required.

I never had any HCM-Pro figures with uneven coloration, seams, or burrs. And I just accepted the few sprue scars as an inevitable part of model building - it was the last time I built a MG kit. I often wondered why they couldn't/didn't hide the scars better back then. Lazy design? Tech limitations? I haven't built anything recently enough to know they were doing a better job of hiding them.

On a slightly different note - the SHCM-Pro RX-78 is probably my favorite "ready-to-go" rendition of the machine. It's fun, stable, and the detail is well balanced. It RAWKS.
Black RX is out: [www.toysdaily.com]
So much nicer looking than the Armor-Trans....

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Oh, hey! That Toysdaily thread confirms that SH Figuarts are exactly the same size as the more recent Souchaku Henshin figures, something I had not seen visual confirmation of before. And Action Works figures are also that same size, per hillsy's earlier post. Excellent. Now I definitely want AW Metalder and SH Fig Kakugo no Susume.

-Paul Segal

Isn't Metalder going to be bigger than the previous Action Works figures?

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Classic Kamen Riders.

[www.toy-world.com.hk]
Jeez-ow, KR1 and KR2's helmet heads look tiiiiiiiny. Those proportions are all whack. And what's up with not having the first versions of KR1 and KR2? Odd.
Gcrush Wrote:
> Jeez-ow, KR1 and KR2's helmet heads look
> tiiiiiiiny. Those proportions are all whack. And
> what's up with not having the first versions of
> KR1 and KR2? Odd.

By "the first versions", You mean "Old" #1 and #2 from earlier in the original tv series, right? 'Cause they already did SH Figs of Kamen Rider 1&2 "The First" versions, which, of course, are the most recent revisions of the costume designs. :3c

But yeah, wow, everything about those two looks bizarre. Compare 'em to, say, the lovely Soul of Soft Vinyl figures... the helmet's all pinched in, and the chest armor is all weird and angular. The gloves and scarf have a nice "actual fabric costume" look, but the rest of it misses that mark completely. They've got a real costume depiction problem on these classic riders, since they're going for a different style than the "skintight" look on the Kuuga and Agito SH Figs or the "armored" look on most of the others. They seem to have a more natural cloth look on the limb segments, here, but it doesn't match up with the big gaps around the smooth joint structures. And the way the shoulders on all these figures are designed just kills me... I don't know what's going on there.

The KR 1 and 2 seem the most awkward of the new SH Figs on display, and as if they sculpted these in original chronological order, V3 already shows a much rounder helmet, and chest padding that "drapes" naturally. X has a pinched helmet again... his scarf looks very natural, but then you've got the big X on his tummy broken in two for some reason. IMO, that kind of detail should be just attached at either the top or bottom, and have the mid-torso joint work *behind* it.

In contrast, the way Amazon's chest armor is separated looks GREAT. His helmet looks great too. Amazon is cool. He seems like the KR with the wildest posing, and so he particularly needs a figure like this to come out well, and this figure looks pretty spot-on to me. Stronger looks great too - the way his chest armor hides the shoulder joints helps a lot.

...but I don't WANT another Kamen Rider Stronger, since I already have the "do not throw this at your sister" metal chunk that is the Armor Transform version. I think that one might be lying in a box with a broken helmet crest, though...

-Paul Segal

I just freaking bought the modern figuarts V3, and they start with the classics...

Cool toys, but like the majority of Japanese toys these days, I can't say that they're entirely worth the price. Pretty much no frills besides the articulation, extra hands, and scarfs. Of course, movie V3 was like the third one to come out, so they may have improved by now, but 20+ bucks for this thing seems like a lot, definitely too pricey for me to even consider getting all the classics. I wish they at least came with a stand or something to do some Rider kicks.

Also, I still think it's a shame that they don't have bikes. Especially looking at that Black RX on the older bike. Argh.
I've not seen any Kamen Rider, but Black RX is one fine design!! I'm gonna evetually track down KR episodes.

I shudder in revulsion in how butchered the brief US version of KR was.
fujishig Wrote:
> Cool toys, but like the majority of Japanese toys
> these days, I can't say that they're entirely
> worth the price.

It's exceptionally rare when I feel like any toy is worth the price. But to put it in relative terms, consider SH Figure Farts Kamen Rider Black RX (2,500 yen) against the Armor Transform version (in 2006 for 2,000 yen) or SIC version (4,200 yen). It's a steal compared to the SIC and, well, pretty damn good compared to the AT version, too. Just look at the two side-by-side. The AT is crap. Terrible proportions and they even got the colors wrong. I hated that damn thing.

So, in my mind, the asking price ain't bad relative to what they've been producing for years...
I think the price is decent, especially when it's directly compared to that other, less recent figure.

Plus, It has metal feet & that's a nice bonus, This should obviously be a big help with dynamic poses.
More Black RX.

[taste.image.coocan.jp]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer