High Dream?

Posted by hillsy 
I take it this is an Italian company? I've been seeing alot of really nice looking Grendizer stuff from them. Anybody own any of them?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I think they're French, and I've always been told that they don't have a great track record for releasing all of the products they solicit.

Again, where's the Grendizer boom box?
I have been really wanting their Odyssey from Ulysse 31. Tiny, expensive, and French. I'll letcha know when it arrives...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, man...you were there!
[toyboxdx.com]

There are other posts about their shit, too.

I posted (as "BigJoe", my former co-worker whose account I stole...before eating him) about a zillion years ago about a vinyl Grendy-in-Spazer that was about in-scale with the 9" Max Factory Grendizer vinyl.

Ah...found it:
[toyboxdx.com]

And this looks hot:
[www.collectiondx.com]

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Sanjeev, I accidentally got one of these the other day:

I was already ready to put it up on the Evilbay before it arrived because I'm a snotty bitch like that to all my new toys. And then I opened it. Dood. It is the second most satisfying "un-vintage" die-cast super robot I've molested.

It takes all the shit I loved to hate about Aoshima's Getters and straight up does it right. Seriously, in the face of High Dream's first 6" die-cast offering those fuckers should be deathly embarrassed at how, even after a decade, they still fuck up product with sub-par Matchbox-styled engineering. I digress.

Grendizer has excellent poseability, heft, quality control, and style. Simply the best fit-and-finish of any non-Bandai die-cast toy I've seen. Looks perfect next to that newfangled GX-Forty-Something Mazinger. No doubt it will compliment Bandai's upcoming Getter Dragun. It has obvious engineering for Spazer expansion nonsense, too. It's a phenomenal toy for a measly $50. You can't beat it.

That's not to say it's 100% perfect. Maybe 80%. They could have added some nice flourishes like using translucent plastic for the missile effects and detailing on the soles of the feet. The elbowni joints are a little unsightly, and the plastic cuffs on the forearms are off by about 2 degrees of rotation to keep from bending around the joint (but nowhere near as bad as the SOC). The wrist joints could be better hidden using raised edges/recessed center on the forearm. The ankles could use slightly shortened fins in order to increase their forward movement, too. Those improvements wouldn't have cost any more in tooling, but none of these are deal breakers either.

This toy, in nearly all respects, kicks ass. You need one. Go buy it. You won't regret it!
Where did you accidentally pick this up from? BBTS?

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I demand real pics! I forgot all about this toy, but am still pretty interested...

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hmmm...well, I'm not averse to checking ANY modern toy out in person. Despite the rave review, however, I'll probably stick with the Grendizer toys I have. I mean, why get this when I have the Popy diecast? That's what I always wanted as a kid and it has everything I want...

Ben, get this, bring it over, and let me play with it for a while...then pooh-pooh it later. :P
>Ben, get this, bring it over, and let me play with it for a while...then pooh-pooh >it later. :P

Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
The high dream Grendizer is totally bitchin'. Simple in its execution, but it does everything right.

Oh shit, it has real elbows and knees! NOW I'm sold... all the promo shots made it look like the elbows and knees were just ball-jointed for a slight bend. Amazing.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Yeah, the elbows are totally hidden behind his wrist shrouds, but he can get a 90 degree bend out of both his elbows and knees. the hips are a little limited, but totally workable. The nicest part is that he has not one, but TWO waist joints. Two! One swivels only, the other swivels AND bends!
Cool, but it looks identical to the SOC (from my memory, at least).

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmm...well, I'm not averse to checking ANY modern
> toy out in person. Despite the rave review,
> however, I'll probably stick with the Grendizer
> toys I have. I mean, why get this when I have the
> Popy diecast? That's what I always wanted as a kid
> and it has everything I want...

Vintage snobbery aside, I can give you at least two good reasons to pick one up.

First, supporting upstart under dogs like High Dream adds greater potential to the genre of die-cast robots. Not that they're my favorite, but look at all the cool shit CM has popped out in the last few years. If we only buy vintage or Bandai we'd never see awesomeness like Go Shogun. Speaking of which...

Second, it's the price. CM has done some mad good stuff - but compare the $50 price tag for High Dream's Grendizer to the $131 for CM's Go Shogun. It's insane! Grendy has all the heft, love, and finish that Go Shogun does - and at almost a third of the cost! From an upstart company no less! Daaaaaamn! I know people out there will drop more than $50 on a toy that only goes half the distance. Save that loot and spend it here on this thing. You will have none of the buyer's remorse that comes with an overpriced designer vinyl the minute you realize you were duped into buying a art-fascist's doggie chew toy.

Fuck man, $50 for a killer toy these days is peanuts. Peanuts, I tells ya! Peanuxor!

hillsy Wrote:
> Cool, but it looks identical to the SOC (from my
> memory, at least).

You be trippin', man. Look at the GX-04 again. It looks all crunky-monkey next to the High Dream. The new bitch is mad smooth and silky in the legs. To say nothing of that gorgeous mug. Me-row!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2009 01:03AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - gx04.jpg (246.8 KB)
Thanks for the endorsements, and pix guys. How can this be wrong, for $50??? No Way!

Also see chachipower's youtube review/unboxing: (so's you can hear the clickety joints live, of course ;o)

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2009 01:35AM by repairtechjon.
I wonder how the inevitable Bandai redesign (now that we have a new Mazinger and Combattler on their way) will stack up? Will it have all the posability AND include the spazers?

More serious than thou
That High Dream actually makes the SOC look like good ol' clunky vintage goodness - who'd thunk it? :)

$50 is indeed a great price for quality gokin nowadays...I'm a bit "Grendizer'd" out but I'd love to see if High Dream continues with other `bots once the Grennys and Maz's are done and out of the way.

Oh, wasn't the TFO in vintage style box suppose to come out this summer also?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gods damn...

Aiight, I can't front: Hellequin's pics make this fucking thing look HELLA cool. The articulation is hot. Yeah, I know that sounds weird coming from me, the vintage-only guy who's devoted to the Jumbo Machinder and Popy chogokin. But Grendizer was always so dynamic in the cartoon. When I had the SoC, I always wished it could at least pose like he could in the show...

Anyway, one question: can the shoulder boomerangs be removed? I mean, he looks dope holding the Double Hariken, but those boomerangs shouldn't be on the shoulders at the same time...

Anyone feel motivated enough to post a pic of this guy standing next to the SoC? I assume they're the same height? And I wonder how they're going to solve the long-leg issue when the Spazer comes out...

Do the legs telescope?
Sanjeev, I don't have the SOC anymore for comparison, but they are close in size. The HG is sleeker, less chunky, and has a more dynamic/animated feel to it. I think the shoulder pieces can come off, but I didn't try it.

As for the Spazer, there is a little plastic piece behind the neck that, when removed, allows Grendizer to look straight up. And I believe he separates at the waist to allow for some UFO droppage.

Oh, and there is a diecast TFO with a fantastic effects base.

And I forgot to mention that the (non-firing) missle forearms have the cuffs clasping nicely over the fist - unlike the SOC version which made them look at retarded keyhole saws. Check the pic at HD's website.

Keep in mind that while it ain't perfect, it's one hell of a deal at just $50!
It's a bit smaller.

Image error
Running getimagesize() on the image data failed
open image URL

Picture courtesy of goldorak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2009 04:58PM by chen.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Love that TFO...but I'll probably only bite if that missile fires. The popinica, even if the wrong color and featuring gimmicks not even in the show(!), seems to be more fun.

Anyway, looks like the shoulder boomerangs DO come off. I just noticed that the Double Hariken blads look really...straight. Not curvy enough to wrap around the shoulders. Oh well. Also, next to the SoC, the HD's head looks almost humorously small!

Not sure how I feel about having to lop him in half to fit him into the Spazer... And it's too back they couldn't engineer a double-jointed neck (like the SoC), rather than having a removable piece.

Did you see the 9" vinyl King Vega on the HD website!? Oh, FUCK YEAH!!
I didn't try it with mine, but here's a shot from CDX that shows the robot split in half.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2009 06:22PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - grendizer maul.jpg (328.4 KB)
Yes, the first three shots of Grendy on the HD site, show him with NO blades in the shoulders, while he holds the Double Harken
Yes, they're removable. I didn't bother removing them in my shots because ... well, I couldn't be bothered, for one thing. For another, they're kinda tiny and it feels a little precarious trying to rip them out of his torso.
The neck is double jointed. Once you take that piece out, you don't have to put it back. The only, and I mean only negative to me are the extremely larg hands.
Oh Woogity! Next Metaltech, GiruGiru, the ENEMY=BADGUY=YAY!
[www.metaltechfactory.com]

Knowing the good prices on this stuff, I'm already doin' the pee-pee dance in anticipation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2009 11:29PM by repairtechjon.
repairtechjon Wrote:
> Oh Woogity! Next Metaltech, GiruGiru, the
> ENEMY=BADGUY=YAY!
> [www.metaltechfactory.com]
>
> Knowing the good prices on this stuff, I'm already
> doin' the pee-pee dance in anticipation.

Wow! I love anything turtle-based. I wonder if the extremities fold in, or if this is a "partsformer?"

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, I'm sure it's a parts-former. :/

But still...gokin baddies!!

Still don't have the Metaltech Grendy, though...I mean, I *want* to want one, but there just isn't really a place for it in my collection. I personally like the way it looks better than the SoC, but I'm not a modern gokin guy. If you're gonna go modern gokin, I'm guessing most people will opt for the SoC...

Jon, please bring yours to Morphy's. I wanna check this thing out in person! ;)

I'm also wondering if the upcoming Revoltech Grendy will be close to the scale of this baddie...
Why don't one of you nice ladies buy the Metaltech Grendizer I'm selling on Evilbay right now so you can match it to the Evil Turtle when it comes out? Huh? Why not?

Also, it's the cheapest one on the 'Bay. That's called the Hobo Special.
H-man Wrote:
>>
> Oh, wasn't the TFO in vintage style box suppose to
> come out this summer also?

LOL - the TFO is still not out yet?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh. I thought this came out a while ago...but after doing some searching, I can't find any in the wild. According to Entertainment Earth, they're supposed to come out this month, though. I guess this doesn't bode too well for the villains...

Damn...some jerk out there should really concentrate on making metal baddies... :P
Gcrush Wrote:
> That's not to say it's 100% perfect. Maybe 80%.
> They could have added some nice flourishes like
> using translucent plastic for the missile effects
> and detailing on the soles of the feet. The
> elbowni joints are a little unsightly, and the
> plastic cuffs on the forearms are off by about 2
> degrees of rotation to keep from bending around
> the joint (but nowhere near as bad as the SOC).
> The wrist joints could be better hidden using
> raised edges/recessed center on the forearm. The
> ankles could use slightly shortened fins in order
> to increase their forward movement, too. Those
> improvements wouldn't have cost any more in
> tooling, but none of these are deal breakers
> either.
>
> This toy, in nearly all respects, kicks ass. You
> need one. Go buy it. You won't regret it!

Looking back at my assessment, I still feel the same way about Metal Tech Grendy. It was a solid figure. Probably the best "actiony" one until Bandai gets around to it.

Which I mention because their Super Robot Chogokin line basically implements all of the points I mentioned above, and more, with their Mazinger and Great Maz figures. Crazy.

Oh, and Aoshima can still go eat a dick. Their product is crap.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush Wrote:
> Oh, and Aoshima can still go eat a dick. Their
> product is crap.

Haha...c'mon! I still think their Shin Getter 1 is the best toy rendition of that character on the market!

Anyway, a side-by-side comparison of the Metaltech Grendizer with Bandai's SRC line would be cool...
Sanjeev (Admin)
[cgi.ebay.com]

Umm...so...it's out??
Another year, and still hoping GiruGiru becomes reality.

The Spazer looks OK, but hope they made that little balljoint on the stand sturdy.

Seen some preorders for a Waterfall Base set too. I like secret bases.
[www.bigbadtoystore.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Y'know...I woulda preordered the waterfall base...IF they made the damn research center at the top! It's kinda stupidly naked without it...

Anyway, GiruGiru looks to be awesome!
oooooo i want a girugiru!
LOL - the TFO still hasn't been released yet?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Man...I wonder what the hold-up is. I met the dude very briefly at Toy Fair years and years ago, and he was cool as shit. I really hope he's successful with these.

Meanwhile, not High Dream or HL Pro, but I stumbled upon this a week or so ago:

"Janus", huh? Who knew??? ;)

Further, if you're waiting on the TFO, now you have something new to wait for!

There's a glow version coming, too...allegedly :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2011 05:44PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - bv000025.jpg (171.5 KB)
open | download - hmsb.jpg (316.9 KB)
Oh crap. A big ass PINK UFO Popinka? I'm there!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer