ES Gokins

Posted by Runaphen 
cohiba Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Being a gokin collector I am interested in this
> series, but I just can't get excited by these big
> headed pygmy versions of robots. I bought a bunch
> of the small banpresto big-headed pygmies, but
> they are all wound in the the toy crack boxes....

Most of the time SD doesn't do it for me, but I suppose it's mostly due to the subject matter. How MANY SD Gundams or Valks can you have? The character choices they've made here for this line are VERY good for being presented in this format. In fact, I would prefer these goofy designs to their SOC counterparts.

More serious than thou
I have about 30 SD Gundams...... and next time I place an order somewhere I got to remember to add some of the Gundam00 SD kits to my cart..

fujikuro Wrote:
I would prefer these goofy designs to their SOC counterparts.

I agree with this. I don't really like the SOC Baikanfu.. but as an ES, it looks pretty cool.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
I'll be buying every single last one of these. I have a MASSIVE SD collection. Based on what I've seen it all looks really good, especially the Goshogun, Jeag and Getters. I hope the all actually get made.

Is the Goshogun available in Asia? From the pictures on Toysdaily I'm assuming it is. Nada on YJP yet except pre orders with stock photos..
I don't think any of them will be out until mid September at the earliest. Those GoShogun pics are just an early sample someone was showing off.

Here's more of the same. Gold Lightan proto and the Getters: [www.toysdaily.com]

Jeeg: [www.toysdaily.com]
Just pre-ordered the Jeeg. Both it and the Goshogun look quite nice, but I have no Jeegs in my collection, and already own the very excellent CMs Goshogun. The Getters are a higher priority for these anyway. That is, as soon as HLJ actually takes preorders for them.

There are quite a few upcoming ones that look really nice. Probably going to have to beg the wife to allow me them... sigh.

More serious than thou
I came across this photo last month that really sparked my attention:

Originally posted here. This is apparently from Artstorm's ACGHK 2009 display. The logo in the upper-right is that of Cat Ninden Teyandee (aka Samurai Pizza Cats), a show that I happen to be a big fan of. I've been trying to find more info, but this one photo and various references to it seem to be all there is so far. For a robot line, Nyagoking/Supreme Catatonic immediately comes to mind, but considering that they're including Tekkaman Blade, as well as the fact that pretty much everyone in the show is a robot of sorts, they might go for the protagonist Yattarou/Speedy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2009 06:00PM by felineki.
felineki Wrote:
> they might go for the protagonist Yattarou/Speedy.

Their proportions are also very SD, so ironically they would be the only non-deformed characters in the line.
Dancouga! And transforming? Nice. Plus, I think this may be the first instance of one brand releasing both Gordian & Baikanfu.
these look great! I love SD robots.

dancouga and baikanfu are a "yes".
Eh, looks like everything's now been pushed back till November. I was really hoping for some solid reviews by now.

More serious than thou
So after months and months of delays, the first ES Gokins are finally out and reviewed: Goshogun!

[otakuhaiyuu.seesaa.net]

And Jeeg!

[otakuhaiyuu.seesaa.net]

Looks hella sweet!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2009 10:37AM by delta_7890.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wow, Goshogun looks fantastic...Jeeg...not so much. I just assumed they'd all be the same size, but I guess to match the price point, Jeeg had to be smaller because he comes with Panzeroid. Meh.

Makes me wonder how big Dancougar will be...
Oh man...Goshogun looks like a TON of fun.
About f'ing time!

More serious than thou
H-man Wrote:
> Oh man...Goshogun looks like a TON of fun.

Agreed, dammit -- Goshogun looks like a must buy. And here I was trying to save up for the Jumbo Machineder Neo Maz!

Happy new year,
--Ken-A
Goshogun is a must buy for anyone who can stomach the SD style; it's really a fantastic figure. Not as much diecast as I thought there would be (pretty much just the legs), but nothing is perfect -

Comparison photo to the CM's version attached.
Attachments:
open | download - GoShoguns.jpg (179.7 KB)
Looks like this guy will be the next one up: [artstorm.co.jp]. It looks fantastic!

More serious than thou
So that's GS-06? I'm still waiting for the Getters...

Also, what's up with the premium SD stuff coming out now? The SD Gundams, Deforide, etc... it's getting pretty expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2010 03:18PM by fujishig.
fujishig Wrote:
>
> Also, what's up with the premium SD stuff coming out now?
> The SD Gundams, Deforide, etc... it's getting pretty expensive.

It's just the zeitgeist. One company believes they can sell them, and it infects the whole industry.

Don't forget the Super Robot Wars DeforMovers, and toys for Wataru and Ryu Knight...

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Got my Jeeg and Goshogun yesterday, but only opened Jeeg up and fiddled a little with him... cool toy, good articulation for the design, though (of course) pricey... I look at that picture with all the upcoming ones and my wallet cries.
fujishig Wrote:
> Got my Jeeg and Goshogun yesterday, but only
> opened Jeeg up and fiddled a little with him...
> cool toy, good articulation for the design, though
> (of course) pricey... I look at that picture with
> all the upcoming ones and my wallet cries.

How much diecast?

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
> fujishig Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Got my Jeeg and Goshogun yesterday, but only
> > opened Jeeg up and fiddled a little with him...
> > cool toy, good articulation for the design,
> though
> > (of course) pricey... I look at that picture
> with
> > all the upcoming ones and my wallet cries.
>
> How much diecast?

And is Geeg at all magnemo? I love Love LOVE the Goshogun, FWIW.

Thanks,
--Ken-A
I have a hard time telling what's diecast and what's not, but at the very least the body and the shoulders of both Jeeg and Pantheroid are metal. The arms and legs aren't magnemo (though the legs do have metal posts that insert into the body, so it's possible there's some magnet somewhere), but there is a small magnet to help attach the horse body to the horse head/Jeeg's torso, which I thought was a cool throwback to magnemo.

The box is absolutely gigantic for the size of the toy itself, but is still beautiful.
fujishig Wrote:
> I have a hard time telling what's diecast and what's not

Employ the cheek test! And if that fails, just put the whole toy in your mouth!

BTW, Pantheroid? I thought it was Panzeroid. Unless Jeeg also has a big robot cat named Equinioid. Which would be pretty cool.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
asterphage Wrote:
> fujishig Wrote:
> > I have a hard time telling what's diecast and
> what's not
>
> Employ the cheek test! And if that fails, just put
> the whole toy in your mouth!
>
> BTW, Pantheroid? I thought it was Panzeroid.
> Unless Jeeg also has a big robot cat named
> Equinioid. Which would be pretty cool.

I thought it was Panzeroid too, but I was going by the Engrish on the box.
asterphage Wrote:
> Employ the cheek test! And if that fails, just put
> the whole toy in your mouth!

I know that's what I did with Goshogun. MMMmmmmMM! Tastes like ... victory.

> BTW, Pantheroid? I thought it was Panzeroid.
> Unless Jeeg also has a big robot cat named
> Equinioid. Which would be pretty cool.

Japan doesn't really have a "Z" character, so when they write stuff in Kata/hiragana they usually use some form of "S"... which when you translate back and forth a few times (hooray babelfish effect), can end up in English as any combination of "th" "s" or "z", depending on how frisky a translator is feeling.

I'm just disappointed that it didn't get written "Pantsuroid" considering it hooks up to Jeeg's nether regions.
Sure they do. Sa/Shi/Su/Se/So with a dakuten gives you Za/Ji/Zu/Ze/Zo. Maybe you meant there is no direct "th" equivalent in Japanese?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
hillsy Wrote:
> Sure they do. Sa/Shi/Su/Se/So with a dakuten gives
> you Za/Ji/Zu/Ze/Zo. Maybe you meant there is no
> direct "th" equivalent in Japanese?

where the fuck is my coffee?

I have the dumb this morning.
Hmmn, what about the whole Jyu/Zyu thing in Zyuranger? I know, it's off topic. I'm just curious.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
The katakana for it is

So "shi" with a dakuten, and a small "yu". The sound is a soft "jyu" sounding a lot like "zyu". Both are probably correct.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2010 01:53PM by hillsy.
Jewranger?
Anyone been looking forward to the Getters? Tough shit. They've been delayed. AGAIN. This time until May.

What gives? These things have looked pretty much ready to go for a long while now.
Son of a bitch!

More serious than thou
Hmm... GS-06 was just solicited by HLJ.com too... guess I won't be seeing that one for a while either.
Ah, well, even with the wait, GS-06 is too good to pass up. Preordered it now.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
So...I didn't know what "GS-06" was, so I went to HLJ to look it up. Godam. Very sweet-looking...

But it got me thinking. Oh, man...if they did a Mekanda in this series, I think my brain would explode!
delta_7890 Wrote:
> Anyone been looking forward to the Getters? Tough
> shit. They've been delayed. AGAIN. This time
> until May.

Like a knife through my heart.
OK, so, no pictures here, but I received the Geeg and Pantheroid set for my big 4-0 birthday this weekend. Initial reaction was that it was smaller (Geeg is maybe 3 1/2 inches high) and lighter than anticipated. Diecast is there, certainly, in the body of the Pantheroid and some in the body (and legs I think) of Geeg. Other than that, everything else is plastic. Unfortunately, it's almost model-grade plastic rather than something nice and durable. For anyone who worries about some of the CM's toys seeming fragility when it comes to the accessory items (such as Gakeen's vehicle), this plastic feels even more fragile.

A note here is that I have, unfortunately, seen the effects of this fragility. The chest plate on Pantheroid is slightly movable based on a small joint right at the bottom. The problem is, the joint is very small and cracked off almost immediately when I moved the toy's head. I am not a fumble-fingered fellow and I rarely break or damage a toy, so this was pretty disheartening for me. I had to go to the crazy glue to put it back in place, but to do so properly I glued the entire plate, so it's no longer movable. If you are going to buy this toy, I suggest you preemptively glue this part of it, as it will just crack off for you as well. Pantheroid's long thin tail is made of the same stuff instead of being made of vinyl or some other flexible material like it should have been.

Otherwise, color and paint job are quite nice. Posability is pretty good for small SD figures. The connection point between Geen and the Pantheroid to make the centaur form is the only magnetic joint, and it seems to have been put in mostly for the sake of saying it has one, as the Pantheroid head/Geeg body still click in place even with the magnet.

It looks good for sure, but this is definitely NOT a toy. I say that being a fan of SOCs and whatnot. They are far far more toy-like than this set is. Not only can you not let a child play with this item, it would likely be a good idea to not let any other adults mess with it either. I'd like to be able to go on about the positives of the set, but they pretty much involve what you can see in the various pictures you can find online. It looks just like the promo shots. It poses just like them too. Without some very careful use, however, you're not going to have this baby around for very long.

Such a disappointment, considering the rest of the line LOOKs so nice. Anyone else own the GoShogun and able to comment on the materials in it too?

More serious than thou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2010 11:55AM by fujikuro.
Sad to hear. My enthusiasm for Dancougar (whenever THAT comes out) has wilted some.
My Goshogun seems very solid and, dare I say it, playable. There are a few things that kind of stick out as less-than-great (in particular, the stands ratchet joint quite literally exploded when I pulled it out of the box, sheering its own plastic mount and launching the screw and spring assembly into the great carpet beyond), but overall it doesn't have any of the weak feeling plastic that you describe on the Jeeg.

Then again, the overall size of Goshogun is much heftier, so maybe all the plastic is molded thicker so it avoids those particular pitfalls. The one possible exception is the TriThree robot, which is definitely a little fragile (I bent one of the wings while I was carelessly fiddling with it - it's bent back but there's now a stress mark that will probably break someday if I'm not more careful), but that's kind of a given considering its only as tall as a quarter on its end.

The accessories as well are very solid, with the gun being about as bulletproof as a plastic gun accessory can be and the shafts for the axes never feeling like they'll snap or warp.

What concerns me is how the Getters seem to have dropped off the release map. This, along with the delays in the EX Gokin Shin Getter can't be a particularly good sign.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer