[BRAVE] Sonokong reissues!

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Pretty exciting news for Brave fans: BBTS is now taking orders for reissues of the Korean (Sonokong) Takara Brave toys. Check this shit out.

If you're a GaoGaiGar fan and don't have the original DX toy, you NEED this reissue.

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
MSW
Awsome! Both STD and DX figures in the mix. Definetly going to pick up Draias :D Wish they were reissueing Shadow Dagwon though :P
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pretty exciting news for Brave fans: BBTS is now
> taking orders for reissues of the Korean
> (Sonokong) Takara Brave toys. Check this shit
> out.
>
> If you're a GaoGaiGar fan and don't have the
> original DX toy, you NEED this reissue.

Sanjeev, thanks for the heads up!

Where is Super Build Tiger? I saw the Sonokong reissue at Frank and Sons a few weeks ago selling for $80. I hope BBTS eventually offers Super Build Tiger for less than that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 03:45PM by Scopedog.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, no Great Goldran, either.

I mean, I have the old Sonokong releases of 'em...but they're just so DAMN good! Woulda been nice to have seen them reissued as well.
Hmmm... if only I had infinite money and infinite space. I'd definitely be down for some of the early Brave figures that are retools of some of the late-run Japanese exclusive G1 Transformers.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
If I saw these ten to fifteen years ago then I'd definitely get these but lack of space and that due to evolving toy engineering it's hard to want any of these, even Gaogaigar (since I have the Brave Gokin already).

In short, they're now too simple and lack the articulation that can satisfy me. Even TF reissues (unless it's one that I REALLY wanted and stood the test of time) don't do it for me anymore. I prefer new toys of old designs. Plus I hate, HATE stickers which old toys tend to have.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
VincentZ: You know it is the simple nature of the old Braves that makes me happy. I hate having a toy that is a 30 minute project just to transform...Sorry but I like old toys of old designs...when I can get them...There are, naturally, exceptions to this rule, but give me a Takatoku Valk over a Yamato any day (or the old Brave Gaogaigar over the new...)

Sanjeev: What is the quality like on the Korean reissues? Are they good and solid or are they more like knockoffs? I ask because I'd love to get one for my nephew (who is coming along nicely as a toy snob) and I don't want it to self destruct on him...Danger proud uncle story following....My nephew recently took a Marusan reissue Godzilla that I gave him to show and tell with him...I tear up just thinking about it...
Give him a jumbo for show-and-tell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 07:10PM by chunkypuff31.
MSW
fel9 Wrote:
> What is the quality like on the Korean
> reissues?

AFAIK: Sonokong is a licensed manufacture of Brave toys.

From the Collecton DX site:
> Sonokong is a Korean toy maker, who is the official manufacturer of Takara
> products in South Korea. All Sonoking Transformers, Brave series etc.. are
> officially licensed by Takara, and are often exact duplicates with identical
> quality.

Sorry Vincent Z, but I'll take my Takara ChoRyuJin over a Yamato Valky anyday. Thing is all plastic, but its designed to last, and the simplicity is ingenius! :D
Yeah, I've got some of the Sonokong Brave and Microman stuff and they're the exact same toys. Quality is exactly the same. And, I've noticed there's a seller at Frank & Son's who seems to be selling nothing BUT Sonokong Braves, TFs, and Microman toys. I even managed to snag some of the B-daman Bomberman Headmasters from him for $3 a piece.
Awesomeness! I never did get the giant golden hammer guy to go with ol' GO1, now maybe a chance.
The huge shelf presence of old school GaoGaiGar is hard to beat.
I was hoping to get my hands on a DX J-Decker. Oh well....
B00
Liner Dagwon, yes! Did Takara or Sonokong ever make a Star-GaoGaiGar w/Goldion Hammer?

>Did Takara or Sonokong ever make a Star-GaoGaiGar w/Goldion Hammer?

Not with the Stealth Gao II but yes, if you buy Goldymarg.

Anyone got links to some good pic reviews of some of these toys? I've never really seen any of these guys out of their boxes...

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> Anyone got links to some good pic reviews of some
> of these toys? I've never really seen any of these
> guys out of their boxes...

[transrave.fc2web.com]
Anonymous User
Ongoing thread with photo galleries on TFW2005:

[www.tfw2005.com]
But....then Id have to go to a TF site. ;)

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I really wish the Masterpiece Brave series didn't die. They kind of shot themselves in the foot by doing Exkaiser first.
I'm glad they did Exkaiser. There's not enough toys of that character. What were you expecting them to do first, Gaogaigar?
I'm not saying they shouldn't have done Exkaiser, but out of all the main heroes in the Brave series his design is probably the most complex. Takara probably spent a lot more time and effort on developing the whole "robot wears another robot like a suit" system. When you look at the progression of the original toys, Exkaiser probably has the most ambitious combination. For example Fighbird just a jet that transforms and has an optional chest plate. Or Might Gaine where 90% of the robot is in one giant train toy. Even Fire Dagwon only has Dag Fire sitting inside its chest leaving the rest of the limbs unaffected. Arguably starting with Gaogaigar might have helped jump start a new line since he is the most prolific Brave series design. It just seems like they put a lot more effort up front just to do Exkaiser without a good guarantee they would make money on it.
Sanjeev (Admin)
fel9, the others have answered the question as to Sonokong's quality, but just to add my perspective, my Great Goldran is made up of a Sonokong Goldran and Leon Kaiser...while my Sorakage is Takara. They combine flawlessly, and if it weren't for the packaging, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Hey, I have the GaoGaiGar and I bought a separate Goldion Hammer, but it didn't come with a Stealth Gao II (to form Star GGG)...was there just a separate Goldion Hammer release with the Stealth Gao II?

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
IIRC, there were no Stealth Gao II parts for Takara's/Sonokings GGG.

B00
Vincent Z.
Actually, I like the old Takatoku/Bandai Valks over Yamato's.

>Did Takara or Sonokong ever make a Star-GaoGaiGar w/Goldion Hammer?

Not with the Stealth Gao II but yes, if you buy Goldymarg.

Vince again
IIRC, there were no Stealth Gao II parts for Takara's/Sonokings GGG.

Then there was never a Star Gaogaigar. The Stealth Gao II and Gatling driver is what made him S GGG, not Goldy Marg.

VF5SS Wrote:
> Hey Sanjeev did your Goldran turn to dust yet?

I don't get it.

The one complaint I have about the toy (Goldran) is that a lot of the missile launchers are...uh...friction-powered, I guess you could call it? Like, most of them aren't spring-loaded: you just snap them in to a plastic housing (the launcher) such that the back of the missile is poking out a hole in the back of the housing. You simply press the protruding missile's ass forward...and once it breaks the tension, it pops out...about a foot. :/

I think it's the same little red missiles from Gekiryujin (FuuRyu from GGG).
That makes sense... alot of the Transformers releases from the same era had friction-fit missiles instead of spring-loaded... maybe cuz they're cheaper to make (less parts)?

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> That makes sense... alot of the Transformers
> releases from the same era had friction-fit
> missiles instead of spring-loaded... maybe cuz
> they're cheaper to make (less parts)?

Captain Shark and Advenger (both from Goldran) use spring loaded launchers. I suspect it has something to do with the sheer amount of missiles Goldran has in it.
Well, it's not like Takara ONLY used the friction missiles on the Transformers at that point either... there are plenty of TFs from then with spring loaded, but it's also around the same time they started to use the friction fit ones... I don't know if there's a hard rule within their use, but they must have decided to use them once they designed them at that point. *shrug* I dunno.

[prometheusrising.net]
At least with the friction launchers you don't have to worry about accidental missile discharges into your eye.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hellequin Wrote:
> At least with the friction launchers you don't
> have to worry about accidental missile discharges
> into your eye.

THAT'S THE BEST PART, HELLEQUIN!!

Nah, some of the Goldran launchers are spring-loaded (like the one at the end of his naginata), but most of them aren't. Wish they all were, frankly...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> VF5SS Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey Sanjeev did your Goldran turn to dust yet?
>
>
> I don't get it.
>

A lot of gold plastic transformers tend to break really easily. My G2 Slingshot and Eletro are in bad shape. Then again maybe that's just the sparkly gold plastic although I have heard horror stories about the Goldran toys.
For some reason, gold-colored plastic is really brittle.
There was a big discussion of GPS (Gold Plastic Syndrome) on TFW2005, and I think people determined that it was a result of the gold-flake ebing used for the coloration causing the plastic to not mix quite all the way, resulting in weak spots... some people had examples of where the plastic had crumbled right along the edge of a gold swirl in the plastic, assumedly from some reaction of the plastic and the coloring.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
GAH!!

My poor Great Goldran....I haven't played with him for a bit, but I'll definitely check him out as soon as I get the chance... :(
Modern gold plastic seems to suffer from this a lot less than mid-1990s and earlier gold plastic. I think it's because they tend to leave out the glittery gold particles and just make it yellow-goldish.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Most of these are in-stock... what's a good figure for someone who knows nothing about Brave?

[prometheusrising.net]
Hard to go wrong with one of the OG big'uns for toy awesomeness. Like GaoGaiGar, or Mightkaiser combine a lot of different stuff to make the bot.

or Mightgaine if ya like choo-choos, or if you like cool car carrier trucks n'stuff that all go together in vehichle form, and make a cool robot, go Landbison
Anonymous User
New preorders up today for Capt. Shark and Death Garrygun (aka, Sky Garry repaint w/ minor changes)! Great deal at $30 a piece.
Captain Shark is one of those classically quirky Brave designs, like Gun Kid with his cowboy hat and that sword guy from Dagwon with his roleplay-sized sword mode. I need to get me a Captain Shark.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer