[BRAVE] Sonokong reissues!

Posted by Sanjeev 
Ah, OK. That makes sense. Thanks!

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Totally bizarre...I've never seen that Dran before. And he *doesn't* transform into a car...that's even stranger...
Just received my Takara reissue Mightgunner today. What a great toy! Like most other Brave toys, it's got multiple modes, and in this case appears to have 4! The electronics are great fun, and I just get a really great TF G1-ish vibe off of him. Plus, what's to complain about with a transforming steam engine? They really did a great job with the colors on this one, and with a reissue Mightkaiser on its way (both, incidentally for very good prices off of Amazon - $25 for Mightgunner and $50 for Mightkaiser), I might be hard pressed not to go looking for a reissue Mightgaine even though I've got the Sonokong version.

That being noted, and not to complain of the Sonokong reissues, but clearly Takara has it over them in terms of the labels for the toys. The Mightgunner's labels are metallic foil labels, with a lot of stick to them, whereas at least some of the Sonokong ones I have barely manage to stick to the plastic at all (Skysaber is the worst, especially where Shuttle Saber is concerned). Otherwise, generally, they don't appear to be in any major way inferior to the Takara reissue at the least. The Sonokong Mightgaine is especially good, with nice solid plastic and gold chrome bits and pieces, and apparently all the electronics of the original.

More serious than thou
The ongoing saga of my recent purchase from Yahoo!.jp continues... got my shipping quote for the two items I ordered via Celga. $64! Just to ship EMS? I guess the size of the boxes must have to do with it. I'm checking to see if they can ship SAL instead. Geez, at that rate I've got to sell stuff just to pay for the shipping to get my other stuff... like I said, don't think I'll be doing the proxy buyer thing again for a long time.

More serious than thou
I've just started buying via proxy from yahoo.jp. So far the cheapness I'm paying for otherwise very expensive toys seems to balance the exchange rate.
MSW
Just got my reissues from BBTS:

DX Power Dagwon - Awsome, big, rubber treads, luv this one as much as my DX ChoRyuJin :D

DX Captain Shark - HUGE box!, larger than I thought it would be, lots of personality in the design, great fun all around - joints are a bit tight though

DX Pegasus Saber - Very cool and unique centaur mode, inspired design that feels just shy of perfect execution, solid combined but the individual bots can be a tiny bit fiddly.
MSW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just got my reissues from BBTS:
>
> DX Power Dagwon - Awsome, big, rubber treads, luv
> this one as much as my DX ChoRyuJin :D
>
> DX Captain Shark - HUGE box!, larger than I
> thought it would be, lots of personality in the
> design, great fun all around - joints are a bit
> tight though
>
> DX Pegasus Saber - Very cool and unique centaur
> mode, inspired design that feels just shy of
> perfect execution, solid combined but the
> individual bots can be a tiny bit fiddly.

I'd love to nab that Captain Shark. Power Dagwon is great, and now I just need Fire Dagwon for the combo with Gunkid. Not a big fan of Lian, so I doubt I'll be buying it. Shame that BBTS is all sold out of Fire Dagwon. Pegasus Saber is one of the more unique robot designs around, however, as you said, it feels fiddly.

More serious than thou
MSW
Yeah, Captain Shark is my first Goldran toy. I expected him to maybe be 9" tall, instead he is at least 12"!!! Really solid too, Only iffy area are that the joints are a bit tight especialy the pegs joining the two halves of the tail fin. Its a brick from the hips down, but you get some poseability from the arms however. Only non-clicky joints are the bicep swivels. Transformation is very strait forward (like most of the Brave toys) just click, click, click, done. And everything has a place, even a compartment for storeing all those missles :D

Sorry...mainly picked up some TF:ROFT figures this year, and it feels great to get some solid transformable toys that don't feel tedious to play with :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2009 09:20PM by MSW.
Yeah, the Brave toys really hit a sweet spot for me. Part super robot, part G1 transformer. A robot toy that I can actually let my children touch without fear of them being damaged easily. Hell, my 4 year old runs around singing the GaoGaiGar theme song now! :)

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
> Hell, my 4 year old runs around singing the
> GaoGaiGar theme song now! :)

Of all the giant robot anime I've seen, GGG may be the only one that teaches simple, important lessons to children. From the dangers of repressing negative emotions, seen through Zonder's victims, to the omnipresent theme of avoiding collateral damage and preventing harm to innocents.

After all, we all know super robots are strong, but that alone is not enough to stand among them.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
It's why I let him watch the show. It comes across, for all the fighting that goes on in it, as "innocent." As much as it appears that all the Brave series' were truly meant for children, GGG seems as appropriate for small kids as any.

This all on top of the fact that my son is currently obsessed with tornadoes (not frightened of them) and GGG's Final Fusion essentially integrates one gets him all jazzed up.

More serious than thou
BTW, finally have the three golden bots from Goldran... Goldran, Sorokage, and Leonkaiser. The final combined three-bot mode is fantastic. The fact that Sorokage can be added to either of the larger bots, too, is a really neat feature. Apparently it's never featured in the show, but the combo of Sorokage and Leonkaiser is very impressive.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
fujikuro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BTW, finally have the three golden bots from
> Goldran... Goldran, Sorokage, and Leonkaiser.
> The final combined three-bot mode is fantastic.
> The fact that Sorokage can be added to either of
> the larger bots, too, is a really neat feature.
> Apparently it's never featured in the show, but
> the combo of Sorokage and Leonkaiser is very
> impressive.

Heh...what'd I tell ya? ;)

Seriously, GGG is one of my favorite super robot cartoons (and easily my favorite Brave cartoon), but when it comes to the toys, while the DX GGG rocks, Great Goldran kicks all ass!
Like many others, I just love lion-head-chested robots. So, gotta get Ga-Orn next to go with my Da-Garn now that I have Leonkaiser.

More serious than thou
Wow, hard to believe, but the Captain Shark toy is already sold out at BBTS. I would have figured on having a little while longer to make a purchase. Oh well...

More serious than thou
Received my J-Decker/Gun Max set today (thanks to TFW2005 user Might Gaine!). This is truly a fantastic set, with Gun Max being as odd of a companion as either Gunkid or Captain Shark seem. A giant outsized motorcycle and patrol cop? Gun Max is much larger than I anticipated.

J-Decker comes across as very similar to Mightgaine, with a single large transport vehicle that only combines with the smaller vehicle(s) and has no form of its own. Then again, I suppose that's true of a lot of Brave toys.

Anyway, the Sonokong versions do have the flashing lights and sound in case you weren't aware of that. Nothing particularly unique - just a really nice combo and fun take on the police robot thing (lots of Patlabor feel here).

More serious than thou
Dilemma here...

Should I nab Advenger here:

or

Get two bots for the same general price? Say, this: and this:

I'm torn here in that I love the train bots. Advenger is much harder to find than the others, however. I'm inclined to go towards Advenger, but if anyone has any advice or major reservations about the toy, please let me know. Thanks!

More serious than thou
It's necro-thread time! Not that this is Sonokong really, but I did finally fill a gaping hole in my Brave collection. Tonight I made the purchase of a nice-looking boxed DX Choryujin! Can't wait till I get this guy in hand! This pretty much wraps up my vintage GaoGaiGar collection, as I really have no interest in the Henshin Gai figure. Other than this guy, there may be some Super Robot Chogokin figures still in my future, and potentially the GGG SOC that's supposed to come out later this year. Anyway, I psyched! Just need to find a Fire Dagwon one of these days!

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Right on....Choryujin truly redefines "brick", but it's SUCH a badass toy!
Sanjeev
Right on....Choryujin truly redefines "brick", but it's SUCH a badass toy!

If I minded brick toys I wouldn't be a Brave fan, that's for sure!

More serious than thou
Besides, if you don't like Choryujin's brickyness, just use the two separate components...those have great poseability.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Basically I've got these guys displayed separated, with Gekiryujin displayed combined. Luckily, these came in very good condition. Stickers were applied, but it clearly had not been played with much, and I spent about half of what I had expected it all to cost. Pays to be patient.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Absolutely!

Congrats again!
I'll have to post up some pics of my Brave collection. Still got a few pieces missing, but I've got most of what I want.

More serious than thou
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer