The Next Brave Gokin should be...

Posted by Warrhead 
Okay, I've been thinking that this thread needs to happen for a while. CM's seems to have focussed on the most obscure mecha possible, so I can see this actually being different than the SOC thread. Here's my list.

Dorvack:
Ovellon Gazette (both colors)
Bonaparte Tulcas (both colors)
1/18 Powered Armors

Orguss:
Both Orgroids and Nikicks in scale with the Patlabor stuff. (I want to see more articulation in these figures, and better flyer modes)
Release all of The Drifand and Emaan devices in scale under the Action! line like the peacemaker

Srungle:
Why not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2009 01:02PM by Warrhead.
There are seven bots I'd really love to see made as modern gokins before I call quits on collecting. These three are the most unlikely of the lot.

Spartas Hovertank

Sasuraiger

Vifam

Hm. Would Giant Gorg fall into the "obscure" category?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2009 01:18PM by Runaphen.
Attachments:
open | download - spartas hovertank .jpg (33.5 KB)
open | download - sasuraiger-1.jpg (189.6 KB)
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
You would think with all the Robotech fame someone would have done something Southern Cross by now. I mentioned that show to a guy in Japan and he laughed at me. Apparently it's totally obscure and kind of a joke over there.
I thought I read somewhere that Linebarrel from Linebarrels of Iron would be the next Brave Gokin. Is that true?
Mandatory Big Dai-X request here. :-)
Erik Sjoen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You would think with all the Robotech fame someone
> would have done something Southern Cross by now. I
> mentioned that show to a guy in Japan and he
> laughed at me. Apparently it's totally obscure and
> kind of a joke over there.

It's a joke over here, too. Even as a kid, that was always the least liked of the three "generations." I mean the Logan? Really? They didn't even bother to release toys when the show came out...

I have to agree that that's very unlikely to come out. Sasuraiger just got a gnu-do figure, and both vifam and orguss had recent toys, so I don't see them as too unlikely...
NO LOVE FOR SOUTHERN CROSS:

[www.macrossworld.com]
On my last deployment, I watched Southern Cross, Orguss and the first season of Votoms. I went into the first two with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised, whereas Votoms had been hyped so much that I didn't like it as much as I expected. I definitely like Southern Cross enough to want to see mechs, with accompanying minifigs in all of that nifty armor. As for Orguss, well those designs DEMAND a proper modern gokin.
Southern Cross is just so different that it really had no audience to find it. It was a very mature show yet it still clung to old anime paradigms with obligatory mecha action.

The show could really be done well today with live actors and CG in a Battlestar kind of show. It was just above most peoples' heads, but they had to dumb itself down to keep afloat, making even the few that appreciated it turned-off.

Of course the Macek factor just made it that much worse to the point it was unwatchable, especially to the 9-12 year-olds coming off Macross. It didn't stand a chance following that act.

I'd love to see a toy line with all the different suits those model kits had and the vehicles like the Bioroids, tanks and the space helicopter. Of course I wouldn't want them from CM's because they'd all be $300. If it was just one though the Spartas would do.

I've already stated my opinion on the other Dorvack stuff.

Orguss is a good choice but I'm remembering how poorly those Palm Action ones did. Plus I wouldn't be surprised at all if Yamato pulled one out at a show given their ties to Macross.

CM's made a whole line of Vifam toys that nobody bought, and Vifam is obscure for a reason, it is a very bad show with horribly generic designs.

Given this is CM's we're talking about this is the criteria I'm going by:

Includes 1-2 toys with possible color variations for each.

Diecast content is relative to the complexity. (Galient vs Dorvack for example)

Size is consistent with other Brave series.

Price is between $100-$300 factoring in the "otaku tax".

Property is between 10-30 years old and is between mildly obscure to fairly well-known.

Represents a major upgrade to an old toy design or is something that was never made.

Something that is clearly fodder for Bandai or Yamato is ruled out.

Conclusion:

First choice oddly enough is the Spartas hovertank. I think it fits exactly with how they think and operate. It then allows them to make some PVC people in those suits and maybe a bike as well. A Bioroid and sled could easily be done as well, and possibly in that all plastic line. Construction would be on par with the Calibur and sadly would cost about as much.

Second choice is Galvion. This is another property that just screams CM's with it's obscurity and loyal fan base. I'd see these in one of three directions. They could either do several of the cars and go the Legioss way of construction and pricing, or they could go big and make them like the Calibur and do one or two of them. The other option would be to make them small and do them like upscale Convertors, similar to how the Ride Armors were done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2009 06:13PM by Chirico Cuvie.
All of those same parameters could be applied to Orguss as well. Except there are no minifig armors to make, but minifigs of the Glomar crew would be the shit.
Actually, there were powered suits in the opening episode of Orguss. They were pretty damn cool.
I find myself agreeing with your choices completely. Southern Cross and Galvion. However, I'd say they should do a separate line for Southern cross in 1/18 of the various armors.
Warrhead Wrote:
> On my last deployment, I watched Southern Cross,
> Orguss and the first season of Votoms. I went
> into the first two with low expectations and was
> pleasantly surprised, whereas Votoms had been
> hyped so much that I didn't like it as much as I
> expected. I definitely like Southern Cross enough
> to want to see mechs, with accompanying minifigs
> in all of that nifty armor. As for Orguss, well
> those designs DEMAND a proper modern gokin.

Votoms isn't for everyone, and if you like your protagonist to have some flair (or emotions at all) then Chirico is pretty hard to like. I would say that Votoms picks up in the 2nd and 3rd acts, the first is fairly standalone and serves mainly to introduce you to the world, while I'll admit the 4th chapter gets a bit too odd for my tastes, but it does explain why he acts the way he does.

I'm surprised you got through Orguss, that show is weird like Dunbine, and I couldn't finish either. I guess I just don't like mech shows with fantasy elements, the designs are fine, but once I sit down and watch it just feels too odd.
I just noticed you put Srungle on there.

No, just no. Srungle got the toy it deserves and that toy 100% reflects the soul of Srungle.

Oddly enough if you look at Srungle it is quite similar to the Spartas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2009 06:51PM by Chirico Cuvie.
Roger Wrote:
> Actually, there were powered suits in the opening
> episode of Orguss. They were pretty damn cool.

Were there? I need to go back and watch it now. I was too distracted by the Bronco II's which are all kinds of wicked-badass and need to be produced as well. I'm not sure that openning-scene-of-the-first-episode powered suits would get the same treatment as the Dorvack PA's though.

Chirico, I saw act's 1-4 and was actually expecting a little more grit. I agree that act 4 was out there. The other thing that bugged me most about ATV was the whole space-messiah/chosen one thing it had going on. After Star Wars this quickly became a very tired theme to me.

I liked Orguss's slant on other dimensional fantasy/sci fi because it seemed very fresh in it's approach, and the designs are so phenominal. IMO the mecha really capture very utilitarian and yet graceful and totally alien sensibilities, especially the Orgrioid. The Orgroid, to me, is the pinnacle of 80's design. From the anthropomorphic blob that is it's 'bot mode to the completely amorphous winged blob that is the flier. Coupled with familiar elements like wings, intakes, and a helicopter style canopy, what can I say, the best fucking 'bot ever!!!

Besides, there is a picture of Tarkus on the wall behind the Chief's desk in her quarters. I think I'll go watch Orguss again now.
I think I want a line art accurate Srungle to be made mostly because I'm curious about what the alt mode is supposed to actually fucking look like. WHAT THE FUCK IS IT!?!?!
Love for Southern Cross.

[www.animenewsnetwork.com]

Brave Gokin Granzort anyone?

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Ahem* Srungle alt mode is basically the robot bending over and asking for some action.

Back on track, despite the awesome wish fulfilment from CM's, I'd kind of hoping Orguss would be handed by Bandai instead. A SPEC would be so much more affordable! But then again, SPEC would probably not allocate enough share to the rest of the wonderful flyers and walkers... so, yeah, give me a $300 Orguss, CM's. (and maybe some more 5000-yen sofubis for the rest of 'em)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2009 09:43PM by drifand.
Psst!

Yes yes, I've seen that, actually owned it at one point and accidentally sold it here as that "DX" that isn't a DX, if that makes sense. In fact, doesn't the really big Srungle have a different alt mode than this? My point is: Is that actually what it looks like in the anime or is that the best Clover could do for that design? Awesome pic of a completely ridiculous mech Drifand.
You can't get more unloved and unlikely than Dai-Guard, most unlikely of hero Super robots. I don't think it's possible.
I personally would love to see Dunbine get some love.....heck
id settle for vinyls of the whole gang...
Warrhead, that IS the first alt mode... the Tank. Second mode is... Flight, if you can believe it:

Hellequin Wrote:
> You can't get more unloved and unlikely than
> Dai-Guard, most unlikely of hero Super robots. I
> don't think it's possible.

While I really liked the show, the design was so much like any other super robot that it kind of makes anything outside a vinyl kind of pointless, especially since it didn't have any alt mode or vehicle team. The show is criminally obscure and if you like Patlabor then it's quite similar in it's approach of realizing a Super Robot in a real world setting.

I'd see a Gravion before Dai-Gaurd. Simply because of all the parts and it's similarity to the GGG stuff CM's has shown it can do.
drifand Wrote:
> Warrhead, that IS the first alt mode... the Tank.
> Second mode is... Flight, if you can believe it:
>
> [toyboxdx.com]
> .jpg

SEE!!! AWESOME! Who WOULDN'T want a $300 modernized toy of THAT!?!?!

...okay, maybe no Srungle...
Chirico Cuvie Wrote:

> While I really liked the show, the design was so
> much like any other super robot that it kind of
> makes anything outside a vinyl kind of pointless,
> especially since it didn't have any alt mode or
> vehicle team. The show is criminally obscure and
> if you like Patlabor then it's quite similar in
> it's approach of realizing a Super Robot in a real
> world setting.

Actually about halfway through the series they made the three components separate and "transform", Gaiking "flying limb" style, but yeah, it's kind of generic. That's what makes it so charming to me though. And a non-vinyl would allow it to hopefully pose with it's ripped-off arm in its hand, winding up for a pitch :D

> I'd see a Gravion before Dai-Gaurd. Simply
> because of all the parts and it's similarity to
> the GGG stuff CM's has shown it can do.

Probably true. I wouldn't mind a Gravion either (love Brave designs in general), but my pipe dream will ever remain a Dai-Guard gokin.
What about Dougram? I was really surprised they released them as some of the first Revoltechs, but nothing since the Soltic, right?

I mean, how hard would it be for them to make tanks with different kinds of legs?

Do we already assume that we'll one day get a Daitarn 3 out of Bandai? Or Daltanias or Daioja? Or, in the Granzort mold, Galatt?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2009 05:16PM by fujishig.
Was just thinking about that. Does Takara still have a deathgrip on Dougram or what? I was really excited about the announcement of the DMZ release, then nothing. It would have at least been nice to see AG Dougram figs in life 1/100 scale or something. I would rather Takara do something with it, we'd see more releases and they would be both nice and cheap(er). Otherwise, B.G. would be nice with some vinyl "Gunners" and support equipment.
Re: Srungle; see: [www.youtube.com]

Unfortunately, the Clover DX was pretty much on the mark except for detachable fists!
I feel like I have to comment since you went to the trouble of posting that, but I honestly am a little shocked at the site of that design. I can't even begin to figure out the logic behind any of the modes for that design. I guess I'd still like to SEE a Brave Gokin of that, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't buy that thing. Ever.
I suspect the logic went:

Mecha-designer #1:"Shit, we just discovered transformable robots are so h0t right now, so how do we make our non-transformable design transform?!?"
Mecha-designer #2: "Perhaps if we add tracks here (*points at feet*) and wings here (*points at arms*), and then play around with the joints a bit, we might find some alternate modes!"
MD1: "Good idea!"
MD2 (*makes sketch*): "Look, if we put the arms like this and the legs like this, we have a plane!"
MD1: "That's no plane! It's not sleek enough!"
MD2: "Let's call it a tank then..."
MD1: "That's decided then!"
MD2: "And look, if I put things like this we have another tank mode!"
MD1: "We already have a tank mode."
MD2: "This looks more like a tank than the other one."
MD1: "We already have a tank mode."
MD2: "..."
MD1: "I said: We already have a tank mode. I take the decisions here. Wanna get fired?"
MD2 (reluctantly): "...okay."
MD1: "Good."
MD2: "What do we call this one then?"
MD1: "If we fold out the wings in this mode, we have a jet! Look, it's even quite sleek!"
MD2: "Despite looking like a tank..."
MD1: "Oh please shut up."
I want a Brave Gokin Matsumoto-14.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2009 10:20AM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - matsumoto.png (27.7 KB)
Gridman and Starriors!
Gridman could be extremely cool, and set a new high for CMS prices...

I'd be impressed to see a new Sasuraiger for sure.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Dairugger XV!

Daiojya actually sounds like a possibility.

What about Daibaijin (Daikyojin?) aka calendar Man. There's already a modern toy of that, but CM's seems to be raiding Takatoku's back catalog.

Speaking of which, what about Daikengo??
It was rumored that the excellent DMZ line was going to include Dougram at one point but Takara decided that expensive robot toys weren't their bag anymore unless it had Transformers in the name.

That's mainly why I didn't mention it, since Takara probably has it ready to go given the proper motivation.
Beetras. That's what I'd want.

I could totally go for some Beetras Brave Gokins.

[1501bc.com]

Beetras mechs that look more like the artwork, have some added poseability, and a non-trivial amount of diecast content? Made by CM's? That would be the bee's friggin' knees.

Never happen in a trillion years, of course. But if they did, I'd buy them.
MattAlt (Admin)
Southern Cross... I mentioned that show to a guy in Japan and he laughed at me.

Sorry about that, man!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer