GNU thread

Posted by Vincent Z. 
[www.geocities.jp]

I wanted to prove my worth here so I made this thread since we already have one for Revoltechs and SOC.

The Dancougar looks awesome! I have mine on preorder from BBTS. The Macross Plus ones didn't really impress me much but the ones made after have been looking really great.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Cool, but where is dancougars huge set of wings?
Something about this line bores me to tears.

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Something about this line bores me to tears.

They look like higher quality MSiAs. Meh. And what kind of robot sports a huge dong in the middle of its chest? That's just lazy design.

Braiger arrived today. Kudos to Yamato for doing something very right. I love this toy.

This thing is a lot like the classic HCMs, but with loads of useful/awesome poseability. The colors are especially great; so anime-like that it starts to look 2D if you stare at it. And paint applications are flawless.

Now I've got Baldios and Sasuraiger on order. And if they ever release the big wings for Dancouga I might get that one as well.

Here's hoping for Daitarn, Zambot, Voltes and Mugen Calibur to somehow find their way into this line.

JoshB's GNU-Dou reviews over at collectionDX: [www.collectiondx.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 05:21PM by Runaphen.
I got Dancougar yesterday. Very fun little figure. I'd liked to get at least another one but I want to wait other ones will be out.

Dancouga Nova and Baldios should be coming out soon...

I have the Dancouga and the Go Shogun. They are very cool figures indeed! However, all that detail and articulation in such a small figure only means that it will end up on the "fragile" side of the spectrum. It is not a tough and resilient as a Revoltech... that's for sure. But it sure looks 100% better!!!

}D
evil doublepost is a darkhearted scoundrel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2008 02:39PM by Runaphen.
Dan Nova and Baldios :

[www.toysdaily.com]

Yay for Baldios!

Also some pics of others: [www.toysdaily.com]
Guess I just don't get it with these... non-transformable action figures of transformable robots. Just sounds like "action masters" all over again, speaking from the taboo TF lingo.

More serious than thou
So... based on the last pic in Runaphen's post, there's a Combattler V coming out in that line?
repairtechjon Wrote:
> So... based on the last pic in Runaphen's post,
> there's a Combattler V coming out in that line?

Looks more like the Bandai gashapon Combattra (modeled on the SOC design) that was released several years ago...
Yeah. No Combattler in the GNU Dou line. Not yet anyhow. Probably not ever, but stranger things have happened.

Some more random pics: [www.toysdaily.com]
Pics of Dancouga over at ganhoo. Including a shot with the GNU skeleton half showing.

[ganhoo.blog47.fc2.com]
Dan Nova pics: [www.toy-world.com.hk]

Baldios pics: [www.toy-world.com.hk]

Kenryu pics: [www.toysdaily.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2008 04:11AM by Runaphen.
More Baldios: [ganhoo.blog47.fc2.com]

Varios GN-U shots from recent hobby show: [www.toy-world.com.hk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2008 12:24PM by Runaphen.
Here are a bunch of awesome Sasuraiger pics. [srblood.blog89.fc2.com]

I'm hoping that Yamato also gets around to making one of their larger parts-former GN-U Gou figures of Sasuraiger like they did with Braiger. They seem to be taking their time announcing the GN-U Gou Baxinger though, so maybe that subline is dying quietly.
Runaphen Wrote:
> More Baldios:
> [ganhoo.blog47.fc2.com]
>
> Varios GN-U shots from recent hobby show:
> [www.toy-world.com.hk]
> id=8892&extra=page%3D1

Okay, could one of you with a better understanding of Kanji than me tell me what the deal is with the add-on parts? Are the figures being re-released with them, or are they website exclusives, or what? And are those upcoming figures shown there at the bottom?
The deal with the add-on parts.

[hk.myblog.yahoo.com]
[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

These must have sold quite poorly to be this marked down. Plus they're having a 155 sale on everything (except new and preorder). I just did an HLJ order so I can't do this right now.

When I was in Japan, I saw the Macross Plus ones marked down as low as 900 yen. Its a good deal for sure. I've been pleased with the ones I've got. If I wasn't strapped for cash at the moment, I'd go for that Sausuraiger.
MattAlt (Admin)
This really belongs in the absolutely clear thread, but I just picked up the translucent Baxinger GN-U figure and it really reminded me of what a shame it is this series died on the vine. They are really superior to the Revolvtech stuff as posable, sturdy toys.

Then again, they're a lot easier to love on markdown than at their $30 - $40 retail price...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 06:31AM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - baxinger.jpg (331.2 KB)
Agreed. I think I paid $20 for SausageRaider, and it's lightyears ahead of any of my Revoltechs.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
MattAlt Wrote:
> This really belongs in the absolutely clear
> thread, but I just picked up the translucent
> Baxinger GN-U figure and it really reminded me of
> what a shame it is this series died on the vine.

WOW. Did they do other clear figures?

> They are really superior to the Revolvtech stuff
> as posable, sturdy toys.

Yeah, the mechanical skeleton system was fantastic, the figure sculpts were great, really superior production quality.

I think the problem is that they mostly did characters with limited appeal. Revoltech rapidly put out a ton of popular characters with more niche items mixed in, and kept 'em coming constantly. GNU launched with a few Macross Plus Valkyries which were directly competing with cheaper-priced Revoltechs, and a lot of older super robots that just don't have the current popularity of something like Getter Robo or Evangelion.

GNU had the technology, the superiority of figure design and manufacturing quality, but they didn't have the licenses to really dig their claws into the market.

I still need to pick up those Gravion figures they did, though...

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
MattAlt (Admin)
>>WOW. Did they do other clear figures?

Not as far as I know. The apparent reason for the Baxinger (which was sold only via the Yamato website or something) was to let you swap out the translucent windscreens for the painted ones on the normal version. But it looks pretty good as-is. I'm thinking to pick up the normal one and try a "half and half."

Agreed on the licenses. I don't think the world was crying out for a $40 Sasuraiger and the Macross market was (is) pretty saturated. (I love the YF-21 though!)
Ugh, that reminds me how unimpressed I was with the Mac+ Revoltechs... major buyer's remorse on those, and I wish I'd tried the GNUs instead!

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Shoulda made some Regults so people could aggressively not buy them
MattAlt (Admin)
You'd think a Q-Rau or N-Ger would have been an obvious choice, but given how badly the 1/60s sold I guess that wasn't in the cards. I still am not 100% clear on why they couldn't release a green TV style version.
The Tv Queadluun is a little different in terms of detail and would require remolding to do in 1/60. Plus the movie one seems to be more popular.

Also non transforming Macross stuff have been poor sellers since the start of the series. Even Bandai's plans for more robot damashii stuff dried up fast as the toys warmed shelves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 06:40AM by VF5SS.
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> Ugh, that reminds me how unimpressed I was with
> the Mac+ Revoltechs... major buyer's remorse on
> those, and I wish I'd tried the GNUs instead!

I believe you can still find them under $30 each on Amazon Marketplace and other such secondary market outlets. A friend picked all three up recently and has nothing but good things to say about them.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sorry for popping in again but looks what's on sale:

[www.hlj.com]

[www.hlj.com]

I only have the Dancougar one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer