[ROBOT SPIRIT] Do you have it?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Norris swaps magazines on the hand-cannon in the anime, actually. I hadn't realized it was an ammo box, but it has that universal mecha trope x-embossing, so it makes sense.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Oh wow, I never noticed that in the anime, I just assumed it based on the structure of the weapon. Too bad Veef hates the Gouf Custom fight, or I'd ask him to make me an animated gif :3

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Today's review is the AGE-1 Normal.

[collectiondx.com]

I was initially turned off by the elongated proportions, but it's actually a really nice figure that looks great in motion. Very fun.

[prometheusrising.net]
Anonymous User
Very odd proportions. I was even more surprised to see that the torso is an entirely different sculpt on the Normal, Titus and Sparow.
Anavel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very odd proportions. I was even more surprised to
> see that the torso is an entirely different sculpt
> on the Normal, Titus and Sparow.

Yeah, I didn't notice that until Gamu Toys did a comparison lineup shot. I guess it kinda makes sense, tho, to make each one look more coherently proportions. The waist and arms separate anyway, so you can have some really gnarly, ill-fitting looking combinations.

[prometheusrising.net]
They aren't doing the same thing with the HG kits, right? Those all have the same torso?

Even aside from the size of the torso, the shape of the torso and the general proportions of the Robot Damashii figures seem to be emulating the sometimes exaggerated art in the anime. Are they doing an RD G-Exes? That should look totally crazy (and great).

-Paul Segal

Anonymous User
HG kits use the same parts
[blog.hobbystock.jp]

FANCY SEEING YOU HERE, SAZABI

and Leos

totally gonna be webex
RD STRIKE DAGGER?!?!?! YEAHHHHHHH

edit: yeah, the Leos are cool too. machine gun, beam gun, bazooka and dobergun? amazing. i hope they come with the flag...

i wonder if that beam pyramid for the nu gundam is going to be an actual sale item.

the three Voxes from Rinne no Lagrange actually look a little duller and less dynamic as figures than they do as art, but perhaps that's inevitable with such beautifully fluid designs. the Teneritas, Libertas and Voluntas look amazing though.

-Paul Segal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 12:32PM by asterphage.
GundamGuy has a breakdown... the Leos will be available individually, and then there's an accessory set that I assume includes the extra shields and guns.

The Nue i-field and funnel stand are a webex accessory set like the Turn-A butterfly wings were.

[prometheusrising.net]
What's with that black Calvary Temple from L-Gaim? I don't even remember that being in the anime, but it was a few years ago I saw it so my memory is hazy.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> What's with that black Calvary Temple from L-Gaim?
> I don't even remember that being in the anime, but
> it was a few years ago I saw it so my memory is
> hazy.

It's Hans Arahart's Calvary Temple. It showed up towards the end of the series.
The RS Nu Gundam is a mixed bag. I've owned probably every iteration of this design from models to actiony figures. The RS ignores some of the best aspects of its predecessors in favor of… Nothing in particular?

The weapon attachments all suck, ignoring the well-engineered parts of previous versions. The BEAMZOOKA just has a weak little friction nubbin to plug it into the back instead of the superior, nigh dislodgeable t-slot. The funnels will absolutely, positively not stay connected to one another near the base; they constantly fall off of the skinny tabs that are supposed to secure them. (I ended up gluing the three closest to the base together to prevent this.) The funnels also lack the raised tab on the backpack for securing them. The lower legs are rubber instead of ABS. The paint apps are unusually sloppy. The joints in the hips and waist are loose. And the effects parts for the funnels tend to come out with the slightest breeze because they lack any real way of securing them. Here’s a review.

In summation: it’s uglier than the Special Painted HCM-Pro, slightly more poseable than the Ex-MSiA, and utterly surpassed by the Master Grade. This version is for diehards only.
Gcrush Wrote:
> The RS Nu Gundam is a mixed bag. I've owned
> probably every iteration of this design from
> models to actiony figures. The RS ignores some of
> the best aspects of its predecessors in favor of…
> Nothing in particular?
>
> The weapon attachments all suck, ignoring the
> well-engineered parts of previous versions. The
> BEAMZOOKA just has a weak little friction nubbin
> to plug it into the back instead of the superior,
> nigh dislodgeable t-slot. The funnels will
> absolutely, positively not stay connected to one
> another near the base; they constantly fall off of
> the skinny tabs that are supposed to secure them.
> (I ended up gluing the three closest to the base
> together to prevent this.) The funnels also lack
> the raised tab on the backpack for securing them.
> The lower legs are rubber instead of ABS. The
> paint apps are unusually sloppy. The joints in
> the hips and waist are loose. And the effects
> parts for the funnels tend to come out with the
> slightest breeze because they lack any real way of
> securing them. Here’s a review.
>
> In summation: it’s uglier than the Special Painted
> HCM-Pro, slightly more poseable than the Ex-MSiA,
> and utterly surpassed by the Master Grade. This
> version is for diehards only.

:( S9's sample had pretty gnarly paint in a couple of places as well. Not sure what to expect for mine now, but I'll review it for CDX when it comes.

[prometheusrising.net]
The RD Nu and Sazabi have really weird proportions. They're not the standard slimmed-down sharpened Gundam look, but their puffy cartooniness fails to capture the Izubuchi designs or the way they look in the original animation.

Also, the Sazabi's wide open ankles are missing. Even the Master Grade captured that detail better.

I would agree that the HCM Pros look an awful lot better.

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:

> I would agree that the HCM Pros look an awful lot
> better.

my dear sweet HCM Pros

cut down in their prime
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> :( S9's sample had pretty gnarly paint in a
> couple of places as well. Not sure what to expect
> for mine now, but I'll review it for CDX when it
> comes.

The sloppy paint can be fixed with a little effort, but it shuoldn't be necessary on an expensive toy like that. The weapon attachments for the Beamzooka, Beamgun, and Beamplanks make me irrationally frustrated. So fucking lazy and dysfunctional in design.

asterphage Wrote:
> Also, the Sazabi's wide open ankles are missing.
>
> I would agree that the HCM Pros look an awful lot
> better.

Personally, I stopped caring about Sazabi the minute Shinanju came out and all my prayers subsequently turned towards a RS Nightingale. Anyway, you're right - the special plated HCM-Pro of Sazabi is hands-down the very best representation of that design ever.
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> Personally, I stopped caring about Sazabi the
> minute Shinanju came out and all my prayers
> subsequently turned towards a RS Nightingale.

I'm hoping for a Master Grade of the Shinanju Stein, the Anaheim Electronics-manufactured prototype which the Sleeves stole and rebuilt into Full Frontal's Sazabi-lookin' ride:
[gundam.wikia.com]
It's such a perfectly creepy sort of Zeonic Nu Gundam.

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
> I'm hoping for a Master Grade of the Shinanju
> Stein, the Anaheim Electronics-manufactured
> prototype which the Sleeves stole and rebuilt into
> Full Frontal's Sazabi-lookin' ride:
> [gundam.wikia.com]
>
> It's such a perfectly creepy sort of Zeonic Nu
> Gundam.

That's cool. I dig the colors, but I miss the ass-symmetry of the Nu's beamflannel. That's what always made the design for me.

These lines in the encyclopedia entry cracked me up:

The Sinanju's named is derived from a fictional style of martial arts that came from a paperback book series known as "The Destroyer".
Stein means "stone" in German and Norwegian. The Sinanju Stein is referred to as "The stone from which Full Frontal's Sinanju was hewn."

Because with all the goofy trivia around "what this name means" in "that language" you can get crazy results. Like, Shinanju in Korean can mean, "New Appetizers". And that's all I can think of when I hear that name. Classy. I love to eat at T.G.I.Z.!
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> That's cool. I dig the colors, but I miss the
> ass-symmetry of the Nu's beamflannel. That's what
> always made the design for me.

This takes more from the Nu-HWS, I think, which I always thought looked better without the funnels.

But what I really like about it is how it has almost the same general shape as the Shinanju, while every little panel and detail is still different.

> These lines in the encyclopedia entry cracked me
> up:
>
> The Sinanju's named is derived from a
> fictional style of martial arts that came from a
> paperback book series known as "The Destroyer".

Yeah, it seems that Full Frontal is a big Remo Williams fan.

> Stein means "stone" in German and Norwegian.
> The Sinanju Stein is referred to as "The stone
> from which Full Frontal's Sinanju was hewn."

Huh, really. I guess that means that the Shinanju Stein name was coined by the Sleeves, and not by Anaheim. I wonder what they called it? No Greek letters left between Nu and Xi... maybe they gave it a Homeric name, since it comes before the Xi's predecessor, the Odysseus Gundam...

> Because with all the goofy trivia around "what
> this name means" in "that language" you can get
> crazy results. Like, Shinanju in Korean can mean,
> "New Appetizers".

AWESOME

-Paul Segal

I have never seen a single episode of L-Gams, but somehow I ended up with several Robot Spit figures based on the mecha in that series. So I have no idea what a Bat-Shit is supposed to be, but I do know what a Bat-Shit Robot Spits Figure is. It's the most fucking awesome purple headed monster outside of the one hiding in my boxers. And yes, I keep toys in my underwear. What of it?

The figure is unnervingly spindly, supremely articulated, and comes with just enough accessories. It's so damn cool it has no less than THREE chin beards!

Unfortunately, the figure is also one of those stupid Tamashit Web exclusives. Fuck that crap. Why does Bandai put some of their best product into that wallet drainer? Gumble, grumble.

If you like weird looking rowbutts for your lady-killing rainbow of style case displays, hang the expense and buy a Bat-Shit. It'll make your other purple headed toys jealous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 06:52AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - e10e6334.jpg (99.9 KB)
You have the Calvary Temple, G? That thing's gorgeous. I've been eyeing it for some time, even though I know nothing about the L-Gaim universe. I figure it's about as close as we'll ever get to a decent Five Star Stories action figure.
The Calvary Temple is also one of those Heavy Metals that never got a proper plastic model kit release from Bandai, together with the Gayrahm (I bet Mr. Crush will be able to make a nice joke about that one - it even has a very long lance). Never understood the reason. Both got garage kits, but those are uberly expensive and hard to find.

So yeah, I'm imploring Bandai to bring on the Gayrahm, in all its lavender goodness.
gingaio Wrote:
> You have the Calvary Temple, G? That thing's
> gorgeous. I've been eyeing it for some time, even
> though I know nothing about the L-Gaim universe. I
> figure it's about as close as we'll ever get to a
> decent Five Star Stories action figure.

You pushed me too far, damnit.

The Cavalry Pimple is a pretty decent figure. Solid, crazy poseable, and not overloaded with accessories. Plus it is colored like a Mexican postcard. The only downside is that the wires in the cannon-hoses are too thick; the guns will pop off every time you move the arms. By contrast, the Bat-Shit uses a thinner wire and doesn't suffer from this problem.

On a related note, I watched an episode of Heavy Moms: L-Gams. It was not enough to make me interested in the series, but it made me laugh when some bad guys shot the L-Gam in the dick and broke its cannon hose. I always thought thoses hoses were goofy and I was glad to see that the story drove that point home with an excruciating blitzkreig to the crotch. Hilarious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2012 11:55PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - buskerteers 1.jpg (109.7 KB)
open | download - buskerteers 2.jpg (176 KB)
open | download - buskerteers 3.jpg (185.1 KB)
open | download - buskerteers 4.jpg (135.4 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Whoa. Okay, reshoot those poses, but with a cool/elegant backdrop and not-shitty lighting (outside maybe?)...and you'll be the next Tim Brisko.
Gcrush Wrote:
<snip>
>
> On a related note, I watched an episode of Heavy
> Moms: L-Gams. It was not enough to make me
> interested in the series, but it made me laugh
> when some bad guys shot the L-Gam in the dick and
> broke its cannon hose. I always thought thoses
> hoses were goofy and I was glad to see that the
> story drove that point home with an excruciating
> blitzkreig to the crotch. Hilarious.

The series has a rather slow start. Get past the first quarter of the series or so and it starts getting good.

Unfortunately, if you have the HK DVD bootleg that's also about the point where the subs start nosediving hard. :(
Anyone managed to score on the preorders for RD Jakomaru?
seems it simply vanished overnight :L

anyone knows at what time does hlj lists their preorders usually?

also, hi there! :3
Fortunately L-Gaim has been fansubbed so you can watch it in actual English now.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Whoa. Okay, reshoot those poses, but with a
> cool/elegant backdrop and not-shitty lighting
> (outside maybe?)...and you'll be the next Tim
> Brisko.

They were just rush shots taken with my smell-phone, but I think they capture why I get gooey for highly poseable toys. Seriously, that Bat-shit can do no wrong.

And thanks for the Brisko flirtage! What's he been up to lately?
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'm kinda curious to watch L-Gaim now that it's properly fansubbed...

Gcrush Wrote:
> And thanks for the Brisko flirtage! What's he
> been up to lately?

Heh...glad you caught that. Honestly, I don't know what he's up to, but I know some heads stay in contact with him. I think the last time I saw him was at Solondz' Morphy auction?? I'm pretty sure it was at machinesoldier's place...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I'm kinda curious to watch L-Gaim now that it's
> properly fansubbed...

I don't know, man. As glorious as the fusillade to the L-Mom's crotch was, the rest of the series is probably best left to the imagination...
Gcrush Wrote:
> Sanjeev Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm kinda curious to watch L-Gaim now that it's
> > properly fansubbed...
>
>
> I don't know, man. As glorious as the fusillade
> to the L-Mom's crotch was, the rest of the series
> is probably best left to the imagination...

Oh come on. A MAN of your stature will gleefully tear into the campy hairstyles of every single protagonist and the marvel that is THEART Star.
Gcrush
Unfortunately, the figure is also one of those stupid Tamashit Web exclusives. Fuck that crap. Why does Bandai put some of their best product into that wallet drainer? Gumble, grumble.

Aaaand, yet, just yet, sometimes Bandai might be right to go this route...

Long, long ago in a continent far, far away, Gcrush bought some Robot Spirits Zegapain figures on fire sale. He was instantly hooked by their odd, chicken-head stylings and black-light-reflective colored limbs. So much so that he tracked down two of the tree Takeshit Web exclusives. But the Blue, Blue Garuda evaded him for so long. Only one ever popped up on Evilbay and it was quickly gobbled up by someone who was not Gcrush. And, much as he liked the design, Gcrush was not about to endure the excruciating death-by-fees that is Yahoo Japan Auctions Proxy Services.

But the story comes to a happy(?) end. Rakuten is Gcrush's new friend, for some shops on Rakuten are willing to ship internationally. And one of those shops happened to have a Takeshit Web Exclusive Blue Garuda for less than half of its original price. Gcrush purchased it straight away and escaped with none of the torturous fees that accompany YJA Middle Menses. In fact, the total price (with EMS shipping!) was less than retail for the average non-exclusive Robot Spirits figure. After it arrived, Gcrush noticed that the figure's joints were exceptionally loose, but otherwise it was as gorgeous as he imagined it would be. Score!

So, what the fuck is the point of this story? Aside from Rakuten possibly becoming your new best friend, too? It's that maybe Bandai is occasionally estimating product demand with a degree of accuracy that actually agrees with the statement, "You know what? Not a lot of people will buy this. Let's make it a Web Exclusive."

Also, go buy some Zegapain RS figures. They badass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2012 08:47PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - garuda9.jpg (76.2 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush
chicken-head

It looked like a fellatious woman?

Gcrush
Takeshit

Obscure around here, I know, but there's a fairly famous and well-respected Japanese toy artist who calls himself Take-shit. Does a lot of designer vinyl painting. Heh...anyway, just thought I'd mention it because *his* work is arguably even MORE exclusive than anything on Tamashii! :P

Oh, and I wouldn't want you to incur any copyright infringement fees (to be Paypalled directly into Take-shit's account) for using his name willy-nilly...albeit inadvertently.

And fuck Rakuten: I'm a motherfucking baller. In fact, I pay double fees by having my agent in Japan ship everything to my cousin's old college roommate in Mumbai...I have him OPEN and REPACK everything, and ship it all back to me...for an exorbitant fee. Don't question my shit; I'm like that.
Sanjeev
It looked like a fellatious woman?

Haw! Yeah, I was going for the slighly-more-literal figurative meaning.

Sanjeev
Obscure around here, I know, but there's a fairly famous and well-respected Japanese toy artist who calls himself Take-shit.

I used to read Take-shit's dumpster diving column. I threw it out there because I already used Tamashit once or twice. Needed a switch-up.

Sanjeev
And fuck Rakuten: I'm a motherfucking baller. In fact, I pay double fees by having my agent in Japan ship everything to my cousin's old college roommate in Mumbai...I have him OPEN and REPACK everything, and ship it all back to me...for an exorbitant fee. Don't question my shit; I'm like that.

I just made friends with Rakuten again, but next time I'ma call your old roommate first...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2012 10:19PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - zegapain chicken head.jpg (234 KB)
Reviews for the RS Sazabi are popping up.

Compared to the Shinanju, it's underwhelming.

They forgot to paint the dick-vents, too.

Bah.
RD Sazabi is very chunky throughout the arms and legs. The bell-bottoms are just enormous, and the skinny bare ankles are all but covered up. Sazabi was always a lanky robot wearing a baggy outfit... this figure is just thick and stocky.

-Paul Segal

Sorry man, the Sazabi has plain red skirts

VF5SS
Sorry man, the Sazabi has plain red skirts

Sorry, maeng, but I said DICK VENTS, not SKOITS.

But it doesn't really matter. Everyone knows the Special Plated HCM-Pro Sazabi is the most dead sexiest sexy bitch evar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2012 10:51PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - MG Saz.gif (116.4 KB)
open | download - HG Saz.jpg (63 KB)
open | download - SD Saz.gif (55.2 KB)
open | download - 391856641_7aebb5c99d_o.jpg (147.3 KB)
look i can't understand your dumbass passive aggressive toughshit talk half the time

the dickvents are still red on the original artwork
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer