-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, I really wish Bandai would label which items
> they intend to make internet exclusive. I'm
> totally jazzed that they're going to do the Gun-Ru
> from Code Geass, but I don't want to get my hopes
> up that it'll just wind up being an online only
> figure since it's A)smaller, B)not humanoid in any
> way, and C)a grunt unit.
I think sometimes they do with a little coloured circle on the name plate?

@Gcrush
I had noticed some of the RDs are "kind of" in scale with some of the GFFs. I don't believe GFF and Zeonography are entirely true 1/144 either though. They might be close enough for GFF Blue Destiny and FAGundam not to stick out too much when next to the RD RX-78-2 or GM Sniper II, which is nice.

Some of the last of the MSiAs (and the EMSiAs) are just about as good as the RDs minus the materials of course and about 1/2 or 2/3 the cost.
So is the RD GM Sniper II about the same height as the FIX GM Sniper Custom?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
That's a good question! Unfortunately I don't own that GFF :-( It's really close in height to the BD and FAG but not really in "bulk".

In retrospect I really wish I had bought the FIX Sniper now though..
bluemax151 Wrote:
> @Gcrush
> I had noticed some of the RDs are "kind of" in
> scale with some of the GFFs. I don't believe GFF
> and Zeonography are entirely true 1/144 either
> though. They might be close enough for GFF Blue
> Destiny and FAGundam not to stick out too much
> when next to the RD RX-78-2 or GM Sniper II, which
> is nice.

I don't remember if it was ever "official" or not, but the early FIX figures were supposed to be around 1/144. Which, as you pointed out, would make them in about the same scale as the RD figures. But the newer Metal FIX figures are supposed to be around 1/100, right?

Anyway, I don't think the RDs would look good next to the FIX figures. FIXs are more bulky, have different finishes, and are loaded with markings. Not to mention they weren't particularly good toys. If you look at Bandai's history of retreading designs it's pretty much inevitable that all the FIX and MSiA figures will eventually be reborn as RDs.

> Some of the last of the MSiAs (and the EMSiAs) are
> just about as good as the RDs minus the materials
> of course and about 1/2 or 2/3 the cost.

I had a bunch of EMSiAs I picked up on the cheap overseas. They definitely felt like a stepping stone between the earlier MSiAs and the RDs - crummy material and construction, but better poseability and detail. I don't miss them though.
I was wondering that becaues I would really love some Zakus, Domtropen and a Gouf done in the RD fashion maybe even a Sazabi.
NEOGETTER Wrote:
> I was wondering that becaues I would really love
> some Zakus, Domtropen and a Gouf done in the RD
> fashion maybe even a Sazabi.

Sit tight. Zaku II are already on the way.

I liked the Sazabi for the longest time until I came across the Shinaju (Sazabi's slimmer, more well dressed cousin):

And rather than see them re-tackle the Sazabi I'd prefer its squatter, uglier super-cocked cousin the Nightengale get some loving:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 11:08AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - 01.jpg (223.9 KB)
open | download - Nightengale.gif (124.2 KB)
The old FIXes were supposed to be 1/144 and the Metal Composites are all supposed to be 1/100 which seems about right comparing my Metal Composite RX-78 to my '80s Gundam Mark II and Zeta Gundam toys.

The GM Sniper Custom FIX looks awesome, but there is nothing holding the damn arms in, which drives me insane. They are just pegs in holes. If they make a RD GM Sniper Custom, that'd be awesome, but I will be surprised. It's a pretty obscure MSV design that wasn't in any anime at all, though there is a gashapon Fusion Works version of the GM Sniper Custom. I think they'd be more likely to do a GM Sniper (Ground) since that was in an anime (08th Team) and was already done as a HCM Pro.

Really, the RD GM Sniper II can't look worse standing next to my FIX GM Sniper Custom than my MSIA GM Sniper (Ground) looks standing next to my FIX.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Just scanning the exclusives for NYCC this weekend, and looks like there will be some Tamashi Nations Robot Spirits EVA-01 Test Type, Night Combat Ver. available. Doesn't say how many. I see some pics earlier in this thread of an EVA or two. Look nice.

I haven't held any of the RS/RD releases yet, so may have to see what's up with 'em.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 12:16AM by repairtechjon.
repairtechjon Wrote:
> Just scanning the exclusives for NYCC this
> weekend, and looks like there will be some Tamashi
> Nations Robot Spirits EVA-01 Test Type, Night
> Combat Ver. available. Doesn't say how many. I see
> some pics earlier in this thread of an EVA or two.
> Look nice.

That's probably the same one they had as SDCC. Which I foolishly passed on at first when given the chance to grab it. Later I saw this review and flipped at how gorgeously menacing it is. After tracking one down on Evilbay and cursing myself the whole time it is now one of my favorite rowbutt toys.

The RS EVA figures are amazing to begin with, but the subdued color scheme of nearly-black translucent purple ratchets this version up about two notches. It is pleasing to both the eye and the hands in ways that cannot be fully conveyed in pictures. (It's better in person than even the beautiful images in the review - something that is not always true for all toys/reviews.) If you like Evangelion even a little bit and have the chance to buy one you should. It's the most satisfying over-priced action figure I've gotten this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 08:57AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - RIMG2481.JPG (59.1 KB)
open | download - RIMG2521.JPG (44.6 KB)
Thanks for the thoughts and review link! Man, that's vivid NEON!
Those photos do show the translucent parts well, and now I know what kinda box to look for on the tables. Real easy to lose sight of something like that at a con.
Awesome, I have Sinanju on pre-order already. I want that guy now once those Zaku II's hit i'll be in heaven.
Gcrush Wrote:
> I liked the Sazabi for the longest time until I
> came across the Shinaju (Sazabi's slimmer, more
> well dressed cousin):
>
Heh--another reason why I think we might be the same person. Admiration for the venerated, old-school Sazabi aside, the Sinaju was love at first sight--quite a nifty idea to incorporate elements of a Zeon military uniform into the robot design. The Gundam Unicron, on the other hand, is about as interesting as every other Gundam out there that's not the GP-01 Zephyranthes.

Far as Zeon mechs go, my ace is still Cima's Gerbera Tetra. Katoki's Fix'ed appropriation was...highly unsatisfying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2010 12:50AM by gingaio.
gingaio Wrote:
> Far as Zeon mechs go, my ace is still Cima's
> Gerbera Tetra. Katoki's Fix'ed appropriation
> was...highly unsatisfying.

I had that FIX monster a long time ago. It was terrible. They took a design that looks like an awesome giant shrimp and turned it into yet another Gundam. Damn you, Bandai!
While I like Gundams, I have no interest in the the Gundam Unicron mainly because it's a bland design with a stupid horn sticking out of it's head! Yeah, yeah, I know it's named "Unicorn" but it's still stupid looking.

They can make more interesting looking Gundams.
Well, they're doing V and V2 Gundam.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
The Dennis Zoom, the bug-eyed Nazi Gundam in football gear, is awesome. It really delivers. Everyone should buy one.
Checked out the F91. It's solid all around, but a few things bug me. You can't have the shield in place at the same time as the added weather-vane things on the shoulders - they rub into each other and make the arm unposeable. And it looks like there is nowhere to store the beam-saber handles when not in use. I sort of expect that when it comes to Gundam-verse projectile weapons*, but not sword things. Lame.

Oh, and red slippers with white socks and blue shirts on Gundams will forever look stupid. That shit needed to stop with the RX-78. Fashion disaster!

* Seriously, Gundams can stow their bazookas on the small of their backs but they're just supposed to carry their rifles in their hands all the time? What happens to the rifles when they need to grab the bazookas? They just throw them away? How hard is it to make the guns attach to the hips or thigh? This will forever bug me about the Gundam-verse.
The RD RX-78 can peg weapons, it wasn't in the Anime but it's a neat feature
[gunpla-inochi.com]

I also took a comparison shot of the GFFs versus the RD Sniper II

Now I'm curious as to how the new HGUCs scale with RDs. Makes me maybe want to get a RX-77D and find out.
>Oh, and red slippers with white socks and blue shirts on Gundams will forever look >stupid. That shit needed to stop with the RX-78. Fashion disaster!

Gundams are still super robots even if they pretend to be realistic.

I wonder if the other versions of the RX-78 2 are coming out? Like the animation version one for instance. I use to hate the look but now I like the simple look with the lean legs for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 12:53PM by Vincent Z..
Yeah for me, i feel the same way. While a few of the "regular" gundams stand out to me and I like them, but really as far as Im concerned its ZEON or nothing. The bad guys in my opinion are the only ones with interesting mech design. I'll take Sinanju and Sazabi with some zakus anyday over some Unicorn.
I like the RX-78 Gundam. My 2nd favorite is the original Wing Gundam because it's different from the RX-78 Gundam without being so different that it looks stupid.

The Zaku II & Gouf are my favorite Zeon designs.
Yeah i have to say of the Gundams the RX-78 is my favorite. The color scheme and over all simplistic design is just awesome.
[www.hlj.com]

I want to get this but thinking of holding out for a Hexa version.

Sanjeev (Admin)
Just clicked on that link. ^^

That was maybe the single weakest-looking Gundam design I've ever seen. Christ. Have they just stopped trying?
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Just clicked on that link. ^^
>
> That was maybe the single weakest-looking Gundam
> design I've ever seen. Christ. Have they just
> stopped trying?

V Gundam is from '93....

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
>That was maybe the single weakest-looking Gundam design I've ever seen.

Three reasons why I like the V Gundam.

1.The minimalist design.

2.Has a core fighter (not on this toy, but the added waist articulation is a nice trade off).

3.Nostalgia. I got the Mobile Suit In The Pocket version of Hexa back in 93-94.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> That was maybe the single weakest-looking Gundam
> design I've ever seen. Christ. Have they just
> stopped trying?

You're a little late on that comment, what with the V Gundam being at least 17 years old and all.

Personally, The Victory is one of my favorite mech designs. It's simple, looks good, and has a cool transformation. Not sure if I'm really feeling the Robot Damashii, though. The proportions look kind of funky. I'd have to see some more pictures to get a more established opinion.

------------------------------------------------
"Ranchero music is the Mexican form of psychological warfare. Eventually it will break us and we will give them back California, anything to stop those cursed accordions."

-Chirico Cuvie
Anonymous User
The proportions are too lanky- like the SCM-Ex stuff. That second photo looks a bit... thrusty... as well.

I think the Hexa head, overhang pack and mega rifle are being sold as a Tamashii web store exclusive. Lame.
Sanjeev (Admin)
1993, huh? Well, that probably makes sense: I don't think I've liked any Gundam design since F91. Well...some of the '90's non-UC stuff was kinda interesting...Wing, some of the X designs...
>I think the Hexa head, overhang pack and mega rifle are being sold as a Tamashii >web store exclusive. Lame.

Of course.

Teh RX-78:
[ga.sbcr.jp]
Anonymous User
The RX-78 looks most impressive.
It's nice looking, but they act like it's fucking rocket science every time they make another new super posable and detailed 'definitive' RX-78-2 toy.

[prometheusrising.net]
Who's "they"?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> It's nice looking, but they act like it's fucking
> rocket science every time they make another new
> super posable and detailed 'definitive' RX-78-2
> toy.

Did Bandai piss in your Cheerios?
Whew!! That RX-78 sure is NICE!

When's it due for release?
>When's it due for release?

It's out now.

Scopedog Wrote:
> Prometheum5 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's nice looking, but they act like it's
> fucking
> > rocket science every time they make another new
> > super posable and detailed 'definitive' RX-78-2
> > toy.
>
> Did Bandai piss in your Cheerios?

Haha, no. I have no issue with Bandai or anything... I just remember all the magazine and forum hubbub over both the EMSIA release and SHCMPro release like they were the greatest toys ever, and now they've both been supplanted by what is probably the better version.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
What makes you think the Robot Spirit RX-78 is better than the previous versions? I'm not saying it's not, but it's just striking to me how identical they all look! :P

If you take identically-posed single photographs of the Katoki-styled stuff (MG kits, EMSIA, FIX, SHCMPro, RD, whatever), it'd be pretty hard to tell them apart! I guess this is the *definitive* RX-78 design (even more so than the animation model)...and since it's not a particularly complicated design (it doesn't perform a near-impossible-without-anime-magic transformation like the VF-1 Valkyrie), it's easy to make a toy of it that looks "accurate".
>If you take identically-posed single photographs of the Katoki-styled stuff (MG >kits, EMSIA, FIX, SHCMPro, RD, whatever), it'd be pretty hard to tell them apart!

Really? I can tell them all apart.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer