[ROBOT SPIRIT] Do you have it?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Japanese web exclusive. You know its going to happen. :)
just got my Arbalest today. The thing is great! Very well done and it can even pull its legs all the way up despite the thing armor being in the way (something the Mode Lock kit could not even attempt to do). Really looking forward to the Savage and the Gernsback.
[d.hatena.ne.jp]

[momoja.blog61.fc2.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2009 08:49PM by Runaphen.
Attachments:
open | download - 20091017184640.jpg (216 KB)
open | download - robot_turna_00201.jpg (53.2 KB)
open | download - 20091017184649.jpg (194.5 KB)
Here's some with the panel lines inked in.
Attachments:
open | download - turnag0026.jpg (96.1 KB)
open | download - turnag0027.jpg (64 KB)
uhmmm

Are these solid plastic? or soft rubbery pvc ?

Are the joints clicky and/or sturdy?

I'm tempted by some of them but, y'know... I'm afraid they will turn out to be not very toyetic if that makes sense :S
Anonymous User
Combination of soft plastic (but they're dense, not rubbery) and hard plastic. Joints aren't clicky, but they're quite sturdy and relatively playable. Go buy the older 00 Gundam at hlj.com. Twelve bucks, dude. [hlj.com]

Just don't get the Arios or Cherudim. They're not very good.
Really? that's a shame. I'd been eyeing the Cherudim.

Overall, the line is really nice quality. While the MSIAs were more "kid" oriented in their construction, the Robot Damashii are more adult aimed. Whereas the In Action stuff was more rubbery, the Robot Damashii are more solid and sturdy. These guys don't feel like they're going to degrade into a sticky mess in a couple years like some of the MSIA have begun to do.

The original 00 Robot Damashii is nice, but the new Seven Swords version appears to have improved on some of the original's flaws. The wrists now have an extra joint so the blue part can swivel like on the models, plus there's a new optional rigid v-fin for the head.
Anonymous User
Well, it's not so much bad as the engineering is poorly rushed; The green bits won't stay on ANYTHING. 00 and Seravee are great in engineering and quality, but Cherudim and Arios unfortunately got the short end of the stick.

Also, the Seven Swords version looks sexy, but it's 3500 yen compared to HLJ's sale of 1250 yen of the original; I think it's great just for testing out a line.
[gamu-toys.info]

super HCM pro Unicorn Gundam.

I see it in my dreams.
VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [gamu-toys.info]
> mpro04/01.html
>
> super HCM pro Unicorn Gundam.
>
> I see it in my dreams.

And yet the two separate RDs will be less expensive than the singular Super HCM-Pro. I'll wait to see how the Damashiis stack up, but they're bound to be better in terms of articulation (especially at the waist), and probably around the same in terms of details and polish. Plus the Destroy mode Damashii comes with those sexy beam gatlings that were a magazine exclusive for the MG kit.
Anonymous User
Same amount of details?

Delta, I'm probably the biggest RD fan on this board and I'm questioning you if the Unicorn RDs will have the same amount of details and polish as the SHCM Pro.

Have you looked at the Unicorn Mode RD images?
I think the SHCM Pro wins out in sculpting as well. I think the RD looks too thin in Destroy mode.
Apharmd Wrote:
> Same amount of details?
>
> Delta, I'm probably the biggest RD fan on this
> board and I'm questioning you if the Unicorn RDs
> will have the same amount of details and polish as
> the SHCM Pro.
>
> Have you looked at the Unicorn Mode RD images?

I'll wait to see how the Unicorn RDs look in final in-hand reviews, but I'm sure the SHCM will come out on top. For $100 it better have. My point was though I don't think it'll be THAT much of a difference.

EDIT: Well I think it's time I ate my hat. The more I look at the SHCM and the more I look at the available photos for the Damashiis, the more I really, really love the SHCM. It looks so much more polished, and the transparent plastic for the psycoframe is so much more appealing than that cheap red metallic paint the Damashiis use. ...Looks like I'm gonna be saving up some money. God dammit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2009 08:41AM by delta_7890.
Destroy Mode Unicorn Gundam February 3,675

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2009 02:57PM by Sachiel.
Attachments:
open | download - destroy1.jpg (62.6 KB)
open | download - destroy2.jpg (67.9 KB)
V2AB Gundam March 5,250

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2009 02:57PM by Sachiel.
Attachments:
open | download - vb1.jpg (30.4 KB)
open | download - vb2.jpg (24.2 KB)
open | download - vb3.jpg (37.4 KB)
Marasai Wrote:
> Overall, the line is really nice quality. While
> the MSIAs were more "kid" oriented in their
> construction, the Robot Damashii are more adult
> aimed. Whereas the In Action stuff was more
> rubbery, the Robot Damashii are more solid and
> sturdy. These guys don't feel like they're going
> to degrade into a sticky mess in a couple years
> like some of the MSIA have begun to do.
Woah! What causes that? I have like hundreds of MSIA/EMSIA and thankfully I haven't had this problem. I even have a lot of the older releases like the JPN/ASIA RX-78-2 1.0

The Turn A looks a very clean white in the shots above. Where as the old MSIA was more of a pearl(?).

I have the RD Unicorn on preorder and can't wait to get it into my hands this month. Hopefully the destroy mode is going to be up for preorder soon as that looks fantastic as well.
EVA-02

more images:
[www.amiami.com]
Some pics of the first Macross Frontier figures of the Robot Spirit line; Alto's VF-25 and the Q-rea.

[www.toysdaily.com]

Looks like a fun little VF-25 figure.

More VF-25F galleries:

[schizophonic9.com]

[d.hatena.ne.jp]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2009 08:19AM by Runaphen.

Well, I bit the bullet. Super HCM-Pro Unicorn Gundam. Awesome figure, but not without a few quibbles. The bazooka cartridge likes to fall out often, and it can be tricky getting the weapons secure in the hands (the hands "split open" much like the new Gundam HG kits.
Anytime I see this thing in non-activated mode, it makes me think of L-Gaim crossed with a Gundam...

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
What is that yellowish gold piece on Eva-02's forehead?
The horns? They're a new addition in the new movie.
Sort of an oni motif on the new Eva-02. The representation of the design isn't so great on the Robot Damashii figure, IMO. The new head design looked really cool when it was originally revealed in some of the official art for the first of the new movies. Are they doing a Soul Spec version? That would probably have a nice crisp head sculpt.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
According to Ngee Khiong, someone from Amiami recently did an interview with the staff that produce the Robot Damashii figures. Word has it from this interview that they're seriously thinking about doing X Gundam in RD. Sometimes it really seems like X is more of a black sheep than Turn A.
I hated Eureka 7. The story, the characters, the "theme," even most of the mecha. I hated the embarrassing evidence of Shoji Kawamori's priapal fixation, and the lame-ass moe element.

The one exception, the one thing I did like about the show, was the Devilfish.

I still think the idea of surfing robots is stupid.

So mine will never surf.

With the two halves of the board joined at the hip, however, it looks like some badassed bipedal insectoid creature--an anorexic Orgroid, a more refined and mecha-ish Dunbine. Me likes.

Just about everything that looks like it can move can. I counted about 30 points of articulation before I stopped counting...there are more. And it can do the iconic Dougram dramatic recline. Suh-weet. Apparently, the cockpit opens, but I can't seem to pry it open. Me has weak hands.

Would I have paid full price for it? Are you kidding? Full price is like $50 to $60. For a six-inch plastic action figure. (Bandai's evil.) But with HLJ's 40% discount and free express shipping, it was sort of worth it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2009 04:10AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Devilfish 1.jpg (109 KB)
open | download - Devilfish 5.jpg (101.6 KB)
Oh, and I have no ROBOT SPIRIT, by the way. I never wanted any. It never did me no good to begin with.
gingaio Wrote:
>
> The one exception, the one thing I did like about
> the show, was the Devilfish.
>
> I still think the idea of surfing robots is
> stupid.
>
> So mine will never surf.
>
> With the two halves of the board joined at the
> hip, however, it looks like some badassed bipedal
> insectoid creature--an anorexic Orgroid, a more
> refined and mecha-ish Dunbine. Me likes.

How 'bout the Spearhead? That one's even more all that stuff you said. I think there was a cool black Spearhead in the background in the E7 movie. Though it looks like Robot Damashii 'Side LFO' is dormant, with nothing announced for a while now.

and, we already have an OT thread for how much everyone hates E7, but... 'moe'? Is every anime with a teenage girl in it moe now?

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
> How 'bout the Spearhead? That one's even more all
> that stuff you said. I think there was a cool
> black Spearhead in the background in the E7 movie.
> Though it looks like Robot Damashii 'Side LFO' is
> dormant, with nothing announced for a while now.
>
Strangely, the Spearhead does nothing for me. It feels more derivative.
>
> and, we already have an OT thread for how much
> everyone hates E7,
>
Yeah, I contributed much of the vitriol to that, if I recall.
>
> but... 'moe'? Is every anime
> with a teenage girl in it moe now?
>
I just knew someone was going to make this argument. (And I figured it might be you, Paul.) I actually thought about taking taking my reference to moe out, but what the hell. No, not every anime with a girl is moe. But every anime that sexualizes or indulges in a Lolita view of teen girls starts to drift in that direction. There are things as simple as the various low angle shots of Eureka that border on panty peeps, or the really odd plotline of Holland wanting to be Eureka's "partner"--and yes, I've thought about the various nuanced interpretations of that term in the context of the story, and that ultimately, the writers make it so he realizes he can't be her partner. But what we're given, essentially, is a love triangle between two fifteen years olds and a 28-year-old man, which is what we learn ultimately drives Holland's rage, his frustration at being beaten out by the boy. And of course, no one in the story actually says to Holland, "Dude, you're being really pervy," or, "Have you considered treatment?" It's all couched in the, "Holland is just being immature (or not)," dialectic--I mean, Talho, who must be aware of him lusting after Eureka, proceeds to get knocked up by him and stands by her man, who's given a heroic finish at the end of the series. Which all points to an elision that suggests a type of authorial irresponsibility.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2009 05:23AM by gingaio.
Also, here's the thing about Lolita--if you've read the novel, it becomes very evident very quickly that Humbert Humbert is 1) an unreliable narrator at best, and 2) a narcissistic, amoral liar capable of a wide range of crimes at worst. That is, Nabokov presents the girl-fixation as a symptom of larger problems, not as a way to titillate the reader.

So when I mentioned "Lolita view," I meant any fiction that seeks to exploit the titillation without doing anything else.

EDIT--I just reported this post to the mods for mentioning moe and Lolita. If possible, I'd like the powers that be to please take one or more of the following actions against me (I'm not jesting):

1) An indefinite ban from this site.

2) Confiscation of my vintage 80s mecha collection (though you'll have to pry it from my cold-dead hands).

3) A full-on egging.

4) Being pelted with a barrage of FMF Red Barons, drive-by style.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2009 06:02AM by gingaio.
Hot damn an honest to goodness Nabokov reference...The DX version with the diecaset in the feet (which I own) is amazing...
That's why they make black permanent markers, winky, wink. ;p

But in all seriousness, The Turn A doesn't look bad per se, It just looks plain without panel lining.
gingaio Wrote:
> Would I have paid full price for it? Are you
> kidding? Full price is like $50 to $60. For a
> six-inch plastic action figure. (Bandai's evil.)
> But with HLJ's 40% discount and free express
> shipping, it was sort of worth it.

I picked up gray and tan Robot Spirit Savages during the sale. They are the antithesis to the devil fish. Portly, frog headed, and flat footed. I love them dearly, as if I raised them from tadpoles myself. Since I don't take pictures of action figures without tits, you'll just have to put up with this excellent Japanese pictorial review instead.

Also, you're right about Nabakov. He knew exactly what he was doing. Anyone who uses "Lolita" to describe something other than a social sickness is obviously not familiar with Humbert's twisted story.
>Is every anime with a teenage girl in it moe now?

Almost everyone here seems to think that. Of course its because partly they're old.

I didn't care for E7, but not for the reasons gingaio stated.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> Almost everyone here seems to think that. Of
> course its because partly they're old.

Which part of me is old?
Oh my god, I love this. gingaio presents a reasonable, honest explanation of his opinion, and Vincent is like, 'I refute it thus: YOU'RE OLD.'

gingaio, I see what you mean. I read Holland as an overprotective surrogate-father, not a lolicon, but I guess if you read the mystical connection between Nirvash's pilots as a sexual metaphor and not some sci-fi/spiritualist stuff... I dunno, I never saw E7 that way. It's not Aquarion, after all.

-Paul Segal

I really like the design of the Savages - distinctive. I can't recall (m)any others with have a similar look. Maybe the Chinese 'panda commando labors' that were only seen in the Patlabor manga. :-)
asterphage Wrote:
> gingaio, I see what you mean. I read Holland as an
> overprotective surrogate-father, not a lolicon,
>
I think that's how it's intended to be read on a superficial, we're-not-doing-
anything-weird level, but in the story, the pilot/alien pairing encompasses romance. The archetype for Eureka/Renton was that priest/alien combo (can't remember the priest's name). Given what I can remember of the story logic, if Holland was the "chosen one," he'd have to "join" with Eureka to prove that the human race and aliens can get along, sort of like royal marriages or something, right? Otherwise, there'd be no stakes to that position (of being Eureka's partner). Unless I'm forgetting something there.

If Holland simply wanted to be her bodyguard or if he felt threatened by the loss of his fatherly position, why would he take it so personally? Why would there be so much hatred toward Renton, so much so that he starts beating up the kid, as if the boy were his rival?

Anyway, I can see the more innocent interpretation. It's probably easier on the soul.

> Vincent is like, 'I refute it thus: YOU'RE OLD.'
>
To be honest, I'm not sure that there's that big of an age gap between VZ and some of us. It's not like VZ's a kid anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2009 11:28PM by gingaio.
I agree, the savages are a pretty interesting design and I tend not to like modern "real" mecha.

More serious than thou
Er, I'm young at heart.

So Robot Spirit's completely replaced MSIA and HCMP?

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
fujikuro Wrote:
> I agree, the savages are a pretty interesting
> design and I tend not to like modern "real" mecha.

To me, they have the most utilitarian design ever. All function, no form. None of the skirt-kibble and panelopolis that made me hate Gundams.

And they're super poseable. For such a clunky design they can really bust a move in stop-motion breakdancing. If you're into that sort of thing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer