Time to Procure a Valkyrie

Posted by MikeD 
No idea, Amuro. I asked Ng about the Alto Super Parts and he was non-committal about those online-order items. I got to say, I was surprised at how... compact the DX Alto box was. Like many others, I'd much prefer to pay more upfront for a larger package with the signature special armor/packs.
Anonymous User
I hope the valks will be reissued as a set with the armor packs. I just told my wife that I'll not buy any toys until June in light of so many uncertainties. I wanted to negotiate if I could at least pick up a DX Alto Custom before I go into 'hibernation'. If they get eventually released with armor packs, then I won't regret passing up the early 'naked' DX Alto & Ozma!
The hinged fists you mentioned not go completely straight like the VF-25's hands need to. There's no way to do that hand transition on anything smaller than PG sized hands.
Anonymous User
There are currently no plans to release the super packs outside of the web shop. (according to the site) but Michael and Lucas are shipping with packs included. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a Set w/fast packs and perhaps an ozma with armor pack come out around whenever the movie is released.
VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The hinged fists you mentioned not go completely
> straight like the VF-25's hands need to. There's
> no way to do that hand transition on anything
> smaller than PG sized hands.

OK, so in other words the design of the shield on the DX toy is wanting. Folks on MW are already talking about toy surgery to cut out 'excess' plastic on the shield so as to accommodate any other fist other than the 'chop-chops'.
But the thing is, the hands are supposed to do that. It's not even something that physically impossible, just not doable on a toy.

[gamu-toys.info]

Gamu toys reviews the DX Ozma type.
Well, we're wandering into critique of the original design then... if the way the hands fit vis-a-vis the shield is as intended by Kawamori, then he's just self-indulgent. Like you've observed, such an arrangement can hardly be realised short of a much larger, PG sized kit/model with fully articulated fingers. Lavish!
Well, we're wandering into critique of the original design then... if the way the hands fit vis-a-vis the shield is as intended by Kawamori, then he's just self-indulgent. Like you've observed, such an arrangement can hardly be realised short of a much larger, PG sized kit/model with fully articulated fingers. Lavish!
I don't believe its entirely self indulgent to design something to be a giant robot and not a giant robot toy. A lot of transforming design in the 80's falls into this category for example. Besides, more hands = more fun. You can even have it salute or use Nanto Sei ken like in Fist of the North Star.
Wasn't arguing against having option-pose hands - they're de-riguer for modern day collectible action figures. It's just my own opinion regarding the mechanical integration of the hands into the transformation design: that's where I say self indulgence became evident: "Retractable hands are done to death. Why not do something different just for the heck of it? It's the 25th anniversary, gotta make something special." And so Bandai executed the design with his approval.

Even design gods have off days. Check out Omega Boost if you don't believe me.
No news about future 1/55th releases? No word about Toynami plans? Feh.
Max VF-1A TV version.
Attachments:
open | download - vf1max.jpg (131.3 KB)
open | download - vf1maxb.jpg (36.7 KB)
FINALLY! About time this gets produced.
Now there are two on the list that I want....if they do a TV Kakizaki I'll jump in with both feet...

The VF-1d was enough to get my attention...

Damn you Yamato...someone talk me down here...Do I really need more valks...? I have a shelf full...but there isn't a decent VF-1d...ughh....
Yay I got my Ozma.
Attachments:
open | download - VF25s.jpg (50.6 KB)
MattAlt (Admin)
Ooh, those head cannons look a little floppy...!
They're pretty awful. I hope the eventual armored pack set comes with better head cannons and maybe a neck extension. It's kinda odd that they didn't put in a set of ABS cannons like how some Gundam toys come with a non PVC set of V-fins.
Anonymous User
Finally got home an opened mine. I'm pretty pleased. Mine has a minor paint scuff on the crotch piece. The shoulders are very tight. The poseability is quite good. A few things that annoy me a little bit in fighter mode. the intakes don't really sit flush and the legs and wings are at a bit of an outward/upward angle.

Transformation is pretty simple, and I have no fear of breaking anything. One part I can't seem to grasp is fitting the chest over the nose, I just have to fiddle with it continuously until it is in the right position to move over.

As far as comparing to big Y. It is a far better toy than the other Yamato products I own, although not as accurate and with less attention to detail.
People were expecting this toy to give Yamato a bloody nose but in some ways it's not as good as my VF-1S toy. It's a lot of little things like the awful neck, the crappy head cannons, the fact that you can't pull out the leg landing gear when the leg fin is deployed, and the fact that the crotch comes unlocked from belly really easily. Is is just the Ozma one that sucks?
Anonymous User
I have had no issues with the crotch coming out un-willingly. The neck and head cannons are ozma restricted problems. Yes it is unfortunate that the leg landing gear doors are difficult to open. I can get them open with a tool, but by hand it requires the wings to be moved up, and the door on the side of the leg opened so i can bend the leg fin out and fit my finger in.
[www.macrossworld.com]

It's like a curse.
Looks like a bad screw.
Roger Wrote:
> Looks like a bad screw.

No such thing.
Warrhead Wrote:
> No such thing.

But what if she has the clap.
Bad screw + overtightening is a sure way to break a screw...

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Over-tightening does nothing to fix the clap. Sorry.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, at least it makes the screwing more enjoyable. :/
Until a gift set with armor comes around I'll pass. Combat Calibur here I come.
RedAleseides Wrote:
> Anyone ever 'read' the RPG manuals for Robotech by
> Palladium books? I remember there was picture of
> the destroids showing the modular function of the
> torso. Like the removable nosecone/cockpit, this
> helped with rescue operations.
>
> However, in this figure, the legs are still
> attached, which debunks that explanation.
>
> Maybe it's for changing artillery?

Those books took a lot of liberties in detailing what the mecha did. Remember it was taking what was already a bastardized property and shoving a whole set of rules and parameters on it to fit into a RPG system. Most of the artwork wasn't from Artmic or Nue, but from their staff illustrator.

It was always a design that enabled the lower torso and legs to be the platform and the rest, different modules. look back at the old Conversion Kit from TT to see it implemented in toy form.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Well, at least it makes the screwing more
> enjoyable. :/

Word up!

Tamashii Web VF-25S super pack. Bandai's going to make an armor pack/ super pack set for Alto and Ozma right? I don't want to get screwed for not being an early adopter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2009 10:57AM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - svf25sf.jpg (92 KB)
open | download - svf25sb.jpg (96.9 KB)
[www.amiami.com]

It's that blue one.

Some other guy at that place reported the arm of his DX VF-25 breaking off. I hope they start a huge poll soon.
I wonder how hard it would be to get an exchange for a Bandai product? My last really bad experience with Bandai was on the SOP Yamato (irony or what?)... the electronics shorted out after barely a month of occasional 'play'.

I'm not pleased that Bandai is not more forthcoming regarding proper bundling of DX VF-25 toys with their respective armor/FAST packs. They are definitely playing the fans for every dollar they can squeeze out of their collective anxieties. :-/

So far, the shortcomings on the DX for me are:
1. Poor Gerwalk mode no matter what mod you do to the legs. You might gain some 'angle' in the knees but the balance is way off.
2. Landing gear design sucks for being too short and hard to handle when ventral fins are flipped out. Fighter mode is best left on a display stand.

Ozma's neck is a minor quibble - Kawamori's not-quite-sure-how-the chest-piece-locks design means you have a bit of wiggle room for poses. Put Ozma in an aggressive forward leaning pose and the head juts out enough to look cool. You just got to work those hip and thigh joints. :-)
VF5SS Wrote:

> Some other guy at that place reported the arm of
> his DX VF-25 breaking off. I hope they start a
> huge poll soon.

That was the screw issue referred to above.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
drifand Wrote:

> Ozma's neck is a minor quibble - Kawamori's
> not-quite-sure-how-the chest-piece-locks design
> means you have a bit of wiggle room for poses.

Kawamori designed the CGI transforming airplane to lock down the way a CGI transforming airplane would. It certainly doesn't flop around on the CGI model. Here's a fun fact, none of the Valkyries have locking mechanisms. That's the job of the toy designers. You know, the ones who fucked up the neck because they put the joint to the Ozma type head way in the back instead of spacing it out so that it rested on the neck the same way the other heads do.
Chirico Cuvie Wrote:
Most of the artwork wasn't
> from Artmic or Nue, but from their staff
> illustrator.

Actually, most of their art was Japanese are that they traced over with super thick inks on a light box. :P

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Chirico Cuvie Wrote:
Most of the artwork wasn't
> from Artmic or Nue, but from their staff
> illustrator.

Actually, most of their art was Japanese art that they traced over with super thick inks on a light box. :P

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
VF5SS Wrote:
> Kawamori designed the CGI transforming airplane to
> lock down the way a CGI transforming airplane
> would. It certainly doesn't flop around on the CGI
> model. Here's a fun fact, none of the Valkyries
> have locking mechanisms. That's the job of the toy
> designers. You know, the ones who fucked up the
> neck because they put the joint to the Ozma type
> head way in the back instead of spacing it out so
> that it rested on the neck the same way the other
> heads do.

Whataminit, isn't that Kawamori's face on the box? Didn't he supervise and give his personal god-like designer approval? If the Ozma 'neck issue' is really a failure, surely it's a design fault and not like, say, an 'incompatible materials' kind of fault? I'm enjoying the toy, mind you...
If it was an 'incompatible materials' fault, then the head would already have broken off just above the ball joint on half of the Valks, split in two on 1/10th, the head lasers would have crumbled on another 1/10th, the the clear visor would have cracked on the remaining ones. Spare parts would have had to be ordered from Bandai, who of course would refuse to deal with international customers.

Yet everyone would still have loved the toy to bits (literally), despite the obvious faults.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Oh my, I seem to have confused Bandai and Yamato. Oops.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer