Time to Procure a Valkyrie

Posted by MikeD 
asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Is there really ANY excuse for this anymore?
> Especially from Bandai.

Maybe if the armor packs and super packs were late additions that showed up towards the end but all this stuff was in the first episode. And its not like they wanted to get this stuff out while the show was airing.

> EDIT: But then they designed Aquarion from the
> ground up to be a three-vehicle, three-robot-mode
> combination that would WORK as a toy, and they
> still couldn't make it stand up on its own. So
> maybe it's just that old Kawamori Curse again...

Oddly enough the form with the skinny legs stand up the best because it has long enough heels to counter balance the backpack. The problem with Aquarion is that Kawamori recycled his idea for Twinzam V of Tech Romancer where one jet forms the upper body while the other forms the lower body. Since Aquarion has three jets the third one had to become a backpack which just weighs the thing down.
Anonymous User
OMG, I just saw the 1/100 review on CollectionDX. It looks like it's really painful to play with. Makes my 1/60 Armored VF-25S feel like a chunky-monkey 1/55!
my full review is up on cdx

[collectiondx.com]
Excellent review!
After all was said and done, my initial fascination with the Bandai 1/60 line has dissipated to a pained acceptance. I would love to display this armored behemoth next to the RVF 25, but the faults you outline as well as Bandai's backpeddling Tamashi web marketing strategy turns the flavour a little sour.
But damn if that isn't a kick ass design.
Only one question though, and this is directed more at Kawamori-san than at Bandai... what's the deal with armouring up the freaking intake vents, but leaving the canopy wide open for a good pummelling in fighter mode? In my humble opinion, it would look SO much better like this...

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2009 02:30PM by RainBot.
Attachments:
open | download - flysafe.jpg (116.7 KB)
That looks terrible.
Sanjeev (Admin)
VF5SS Wrote:
> That looks terrible.

Your reasons are "I don't like the way it looks and its not what I like!"

;)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> VF5SS Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That looks terrible.
>
> Your reasons are "I don't like the way it looks
> and its not what I like!"
>
> ;)

You know you keep failing to provide any real reasons beyond not liking the VF-25 and CGI.

Edit: and if you want a reason why I think it looks terrible its because capturing the shooter game aesthetic usually involves a visible cockpit even if its small. The ships from RayForce are a good example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2009 03:38PM by VF5SS.
VF5SS Wrote:
>
> > EDIT: But then they designed Aquarion from the
> > ground up to be a three-vehicle, three-robot-mode
> > combination that would WORK as a toy, and they
> > still couldn't make it stand up on its own. So
> > maybe it's just that old Kawamori Curse again...
>
> Oddly enough the form with the skinny legs stand
> up the best because it has long enough heels to
> counter balance the backpack. The problem with
> Aquarion is that Kawamori recycled his idea for
> Twinzam V of Tech Romancer where one jet forms the
> upper body while the other forms the lower body.

CRAP, you're right. Why didn't they just make a Kikaioh anime?!

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Kikaioh is half radio drama with all the dialog between fights and the ridiculous extra material.
VF5SS Wrote:
> That looks terrible.

Let me guess... you also liked the Aliens Power Loader aesthetic of those durned Exo Squad figgers, didn't ya?
Not particularly.

Attachments:
open | download - 3866171655_de84be868b_o.jpg (216.1 KB)
VF5SS Wrote:
> Not particularly.

Well there goes that theory. I think I'll have to resort to name-calling.
I picked up the durned thing today at Fan Expo from my fave store Toys2.
Can't wait to "play" with it.
Anonymous User
But was it really worth it?
B00
Damn the metallic coated version is a VF-100. I thought it was gonna a 1/72 kit.

deculture

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2009 11:15PM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - deculture.jpg (333.4 KB)
VF5SS Wrote:
> But was it really worth it?

No. No, no, no, no, no.
Which says something about how wisely I spend my money sometimes... it just looks so cool. In uber fighter mode the thing kicks serious arse. It was kinda fun putting it all together, but transforming it will take some time to do.
I agree with your review. I heeded your warning, and decided to go with "good enough". We deserve our fate.
VF5SS Wrote:
> [toyboxdx.com]
>
> deculture

Jeez, I hope that's a prototype... their 3D printer's resolution is terrible!

I am glad they are proceeding with this. While I would prefer the TV version, This would be great if they sufficiently figured out a way to lock those pesky arms in place.
I wonder who will get this?
RainBot Wrote:

> I wonder who will get this?

Someone who has the money, the room, and no aversion of broken shoulders...
thomas Wrote:
> RainBot Wrote:
> -----
>
> > I wonder who will get this?
>
> Someone who has the money, the room, and no
> aversion of broken shoulders...

Although I believe your trepidation is warranted given the history of the subject matter, you can't make judgements on the unknown. I would have been in the same boat as you, had I not given in to VF5SS's propaganda.
Yamato really did well with their 1/60 VF 1 line. They might have learned their lesson. We'll have to wait and see.
Fortunately there is an entire website that can be effectively seen as "consumer-based field testing" that will have some reviews up the moment it is released.
All this talk about the problems with Bandai's Frontier line is making me glad I have little or no interest in the designs. At least this way I only occasionally get Yamtoed and not also whatever the Bandai equivalent is in addition. Well until Bandai makes a 171... then all bets are off I guess.

Good tag team review VF5SS. I truly enjoy my 22 and have thus had zero problems with it. Well other than sometimes it's almost too tight :D On one hand kind of surprised Yamato didn't do anything about the heat shield since they seem to have a huge boner for "line accurate" PF but I guess they figured it didn't warrant the development cost or any compromises.

Also not sure what Josh's problem(s) are/were with the old 1/60 VF-1s. I mean they're not especially beautiful or poseable but at least none of mine have ever broken.
RainBot Wrote:
> VF5SS Wrote:
> -----
> > But was it really worth it?
>
> No. No, no, no, no, no.
> Which says something about how wisely I spend my
> money sometimes... it just looks so cool. In uber
> fighter mode the thing kicks serious arse.

I was talking about that special VF100 VF-25 Anavel linked to. It was convention exclusive that simply omitted the parts required to transform it out of fighter mode in lieu of a special base and metallic coating.

As for the DX Armored set, you're right it is our fate. I mean I owned the first Ozma release and they gave little indication it was going to be improve at all. Adam at CDX is convinced they're going to re-do these later with like a Soul-Spec (probably in 1/72nd scale) but I feel like this may be it for the line outside of movie repaints and the VF-27 which is still way overdue.
Oh sweet Jesus on a pogo stick that VF100 VF-25 is a frickin' cool recolour.
I almost sent a link to the fellow I deal with when I came to my senses. It's not a 1/60 toy. Gotta be consistent in my own little insane world.
I am surprised the VF 27 hasn't been made. I mean, they're doing the Quarter... ah well.
How many of these 1/60 things do you own? And will you, like me, be a sucker and get the 27 if they make it?
If you're asking for total 1/60 Macross toys I own

Version 1 1/60

VF-1A Max
VF-1J Max
VF-1J Hikaru
VT-1
VE-1

Version 2 1/60

VF-1S
VF-1D

The rest
Sv-51 Nora type
VF-22S
YF-19
VF-0S
Destroid Defender
Destroid Tomahawk
Queadluun Rau
Armored VF-25S

I do plan on acquiring the new VE-1 and VT-1. I might get a VF-27 if they make as well as a brown colored VF-25 if only to get some version of the super packs.

man these flexidisplay things are pretty sweet. I should have nabbed one sooner.
Wow on those displays Andrew. I thought for a minute that you just threw the toy in the air and snapped a quick pic, haha.

Late to the party here, but what is the source of the clear display rods?
Anonymous User
These are the "flexidisplay" that MW raves about. I am pretty sure LAF toys bought the rights to them and is the sole place to get them currently. see below

[www.laftoys.com]
Cool. Thanks. You could even use them with a vintage 1/35 Gakken! (en route) ;0p
believe it or not it actually balanced on just two of the rods. I think I'm going to have to spring for the 4 inch and 2.5 inch versions so I can swap rods among them for more flexibility.
Chinese scans of Macross the First in case you ever wondered what it looked like

vol 3

[www.macross.com.cn]

vol 4

[www.macross.com.cn]

This is by the show's original character designer Haruhiko Mikimoto. His art style has changed a wee bit in the past 27 years. Check out that new head on the VF-1D.

all aboard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2009 10:58AM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - fanracer.jpg (72.1 KB)
Thanks for posting the links to the manga. Great artwork.
As for the overstuffed Fanracer... that armed guard certainly isn't doing his job.
I like the guy on the wing: "OK....we can stuff ONE more over here...."

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
It somehow makes me think that a massive (well...1/60 scale) zombie horde is right around the corner...
Fucking 1/60 zombies....getting all in your ears and notrils...little bastards.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
People on the stickam chat last night saw me doing this with the Flexidisplay stands.
Attachments:
open | download - flexilovin.JPG (48.1 KB)
You're on Stickam? Isn't that the site where 4channers get underage girls to take off their clothes?

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
...uhhh, there wasn't any of THAT when I joined the party, late. They must've put the girls on after I konked out.

Just Andrew wobblin' them flexi stands at the camera. Those things are cool.
[gamu-toys.info]

first round of VT-1 pics from Gamu. This one is for training.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer