Time to Procure a Valkyrie

Posted by MikeD 
Sanjeev

And I have to disagree with your take on the plastic, too. First of all "model-grade plastic" IS what virtually all toys are made outta (including the 1/55 Valks). It's ABS. It's just that most model kits use *really thin* ABS construction...but it's the same shit.

Model builder here: Many models are made out of polystyrene (PS), which can vary all the way from "soft as butter" to "hard but brittle". ABS is only used rarely in real models. Bandai uses it for the frames of many of their kits, but those are not truly models and more like action figures.

Okay, so MSW already said that. I really should read a whole thread before replying :P

I'll be damned! All this time, I just assumed ABS was the same as polystyrene. They ARE similar, though: I mean, "plastic cement" for model kits bonds ABS just as well...but with a little googling, there indeed *are* differences. Oh well...

Er...then it likely was styrene you were glueing, because plastic cement for model kits doesn't glue ABS very well or at all. The thin type of cement doesn't glue it at all, bits will just fall off. Glue in a tube might glue it, but not for very long either.
Superglue will of course glue almost everything.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2013 02:11AM by thomas.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh...well I'll be damned. See, I used Tamiya "model cement"--which seems to be little more than acetone mixed with some liquefied resin to thicken it up a bit...but I could be wrong. It *seemed* to have an effect on ABS parts, but going back, I definitely noticed that the bond wasn't THAT strong. Weird...because acetone *does* dissolve ABS pretty effectively.

I guess I should stick with cyanoacrylate ("super glue") for ABS from now on...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Andrew just sent me this:
[ameblo.jp]

It's official: the hips on the 1/72 Bandai kit are good! And those leg delivery panels are *right* out of a Kawamori design book!
Okay that is officially badass....I am looking forward to the Focker version. Between this and the upcoming Max Factory Dougram kits it looks like I'll be spending some time at the old work bench...

Also, I wounder if we will ever see a "toy" try and do this same trick...?
Sanjeev (Admin)
That's a good question. I presume there's some licensing stuff preventing Bandai from making a full-blown larger-scale VF-1 toy (with or without leg delivery panels). Maybe when rights revert to them (from Yamato/Arcadia??), we'll see just that...

Anyway, I've assembled a few transforming kits in my time (1/100 VF-2SS, MG Zeta Gundam, old timey 1/100 Super VF-1S...), and none of them have been particularly sturdy things. Very delicate, very loose joints. I'm curious if the more modern engineering they use to make MG mobile suits more toy-like will filter in to make these guys more robust.

And yes...still holding my breath for those modern Dougram kits!
Sanjeev
Anyway, I've assembled a few transforming kits in my time (1/100 VF-2SS, MG Zeta Gundam, old timey 1/100 Super VF-1S...), and none of them have been particularly sturdy things. Very delicate, very loose joints. I'm curious if the more modern engineering they use to make MG mobile suits more toy-like will filter in to make these guys more robust.

Magic Eight Ball says, "Wet Noodle Hips."
Sanjeev (Admin)
Holy shit. NOT good.

That's pretty disappointing...even floppier than Bandai's previous efforts at transforming kits...
The arms look way to skinny to me.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Andrew's building up one right now...and he said the hip joints aren't as bad as the reviewer suggests. I guess there's a way to beef up the joint. We'll see...
Wait Yamato went under earlier this year? I thought they just had a drought of stuff I wanted to buy...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Weird, right?
Ah, still behind the times, but they're called Arcadia now?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Apparently...

Arcadia (a pre-existing toy company) bought them out..? I dunno the details, but I'm sure *someone* does...
So a mini SDF-1 is coming out:

[www.taghobby.com]

Anyone knows if it transforms? kind of excited... EEEEE :D

Also, finally got a toynami MP vf-1j, and the takatoku SDF-1
LOVING them both, but man, kind of want a tv SDF-1 from
arcadia now, too.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, that wee SDF-1 looks super-cute! I'm not sure if it transforms, but there's obviously an unpainted fortress mode next to it in the first pic (right next to one of the many no-photographs-please signs! LOL). They may be just fixed-posed figures...

Also, the display stand base depicting (I assume) the formerly-underwater Protoculture city is amazeballs. Same with the base depicting the SDF-1 crashed onto the city.

That human-sized Valk gunpod's pretty neat too!

Anyway, I agree: I'd LOVE to see Arcadia do a tv-version SDF-1 one. But I'm pretty sure I've said that about a thousand times now! :P Well, I guess there's real hope for that now that we're seeing Arcadia coming out with brand new Macross product in the next couple years...
Damn, these pics just piss me off that the ES Gokin Gold Lightan that we saw a few years ago has not surfaced. Why? Why doesn';t anyone want a gold box on legs?

More serious than thou
That ES Gokin line is just a tease... you can't take any of their release dates seriously anyway. They could put Lightan up now on amiami and it still wouldn't be released until 2020.
I should probably ask this on the dedicated place to these kinds of toys, but here goes:

Why are the Bandai valks so hard to get now? Admittedly I'm outside of their target area, but preorders tend to sell out right away even though they're almost insanely priced, and they're made by a company who usually mass produces stuff all the time. It's easier for me to preorder a tamashii web exclusive valk than to hit the preorder window on HLJ or amiami for the normal releases.
fujishig
I should probably ask this on the dedicated place to these kinds of toys, but here goes:

Why are the Bandai valks so hard to get now? Admittedly I'm outside of their target area, but preorders tend to sell out right away even though they're almost insanely priced, and they're made by a company who usually mass produces stuff all the time. It's easier for me to preorder a tamashii web exclusive valk than to hit the preorder window on HLJ or amiami for the normal releases.

I don't know about the Bandai Valks in particular, but I've noticed the same thing with pre-order windows on plenty of other items. There's a 24 hour window before the items are all suddenly "sold out". But at the same time I've noticed that those same items will also have stock for a day or two as soon as they are released as well. I'm guessing this has to do with the changing landscape of the industry, particularly the manufacturing and warehousing sides. As in, they're getting more sophisticated about trimming costs. I have heard rumors that the volume of pre-order sales for the first day is usually considered a gold standard indicator of whether or not a product will flop. Which means that (beyond any vendor minimum order) the representation of inventory availability to consumers is being manipulated to an extent. Some things might actually sell out while others simply have their order window closed.

On a (related?) note, since I'm so late to the game... Did Yamato as a company reincarnate into Arcadia? Or did only their Valk's tooling survive their first life?
Apparently Arcadia got a bunch of molds, including the SDF-1 but not including the 1-48 Valks. I haven't bought any of their stuff because they're even more insanely expensive than Bandai or even Yamato ever was, and their preorder windows are the same.

I do notice the same thing about preorder windows in general; your favorite, Figuarts, generally sell out almost immediately, as do any of the classic Ultraman Ultra acts. Heck, some of the made-for-kid stuff like the AC Kamen Rider Gaim toys are pretty much unavailable all the time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer