Time to Procure a Valkyrie

Posted by MikeD 
green is web exclusive
Anybody else having difficulty accessing Toysdaily? I can't get it at work or home, with different ISPs (but both are Macs)...
[www.youtube.com]

TRANCEFORMATION
VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> TRANCEFORMATION

Here is the creator's blog:

[experten.cocolog-nifty.com]
Anonymous User
details prease
Expensive limited production Garage kits.
Anonymous User
My boyfriend is a half inch pilot

[www.toysdaily.com]
[www.toysdaily.com]

VF Hi-metal VF-1J out of box
Since I can only read the text (what's UP with that site?), am I to assume that one needs to swap cockpits? Blaaaaaargh.
I don't like the little clips for the wings. Looks fragile.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
VF5SS Wrote:
> green is web exclusive

Bloody hell. It's cheaper for me to get it locally at $280 CDN... even YJ with shipping and services its gonna be equally steep.
Might have to go for it. Did you get one, Veef?
RainBot Wrote:
> Since I can only read the text (what's UP with
> that site?), am I to assume that one needs to swap
> cockpits? Blaaaaaargh.

I can see the pics. What he means is you need to change the heat shield. Maybe if they do a D type they'll do a removable cockpit though. The toy looks nice. I wouldn't mind having one to replace my piece of crap Toynami one.
[gamu-toys.info]

smaller than the other one
ROFL, the cockpit swap works exactly like on the 1/55 reissues...

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
thomas Wrote:
> ROFL, the cockpit swap works exactly like on the
> 1/55 reissues...

Reminds me more of Yamato's first pass at 1/65th scale...

Anyway...I wanted to hate this, but for some reason I don't...When they do the Roy VF-1S then I'll probably bite...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Looks nice to me (despite the woeful transformy hands!). I'd likely take these over the Toynami ones even if they're triple the price. Fit and finish look good, but I'd like to see them side by side.
Wow, beautiful. Just when I'd divested myself of all my non-1/55 scale Valks .... :)

At least it's Bandai. >>ducks<<

Thanks,
--Ken-A
Anonymous User
yaco delivers

[wildcats.pupui.jp]
Sanjeev (Admin)
See what happens when you just ask nicely on the internets?
Wow, that Hi-Metal is a class act. The non-hardpoint wings are a really neat inclusion, and the ankle joints are so intricate.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
I hate to admit it, but this looks amazing. This was a clincher for me:

Can't wait to see this in person. Hopefully the web exclusive Max type will show up locally.
BTW... does the web exclusive aspects of the Max mean that there will be limited recolours of the VF-1?
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_3853.JPG (20.1 KB)
RainBot Wrote:
> Did you get one, Veef?

[www.collectiondx.com]

No.
Anonymous User
Toynami has announced a DYRL edition of their 1/100 Zentraedi Tactical Pod for SDCC 2010. Run of 1000. $35 each.

It's done up in the green color scheme seen in the 1984 DYRL colors. According to designer Daisuke Fukuda, the box will be the same as their standard Regult's box, but with a different boxfront decal.

Photo of sample from the factory:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2010 07:59PM by AcroRay.
Attachments:
open | download - SDCC REGULT.jpg (30.6 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
That's awful. I dunno...when I watch the opening fight scene in DYRL, it sure looks like the Regult is pretty much all dark green. Of course, some official source is bound to prove my eyes wrong...
Anonymous User
I'm going to have to pull out my This Is Animation volume for DYRL. But I do recall - especially looking at the YouTube clips - that you don't get a solid feel for their color scheme because they're presented in a low-light, almost monochrome lighting setup for any shot you see them in. They're either heavily shadowed, or thrown into extreme contrast by explosions. Even in the scene where Max pulls a Zentran soldier from his pod and shoots him, what you see of the pod isn't very clear.

Here's a clip of just the early dogfight:

[www.youtube.com]

With that in mind, the accuracy of the SDCC DYRL Regult is OK by me. I did ask Daisuke Fukuda if the picture above was a Photoshop mockup, because the color tones were so unusual to my eye, and he said it was actually a production sample.

And in any event, the otaku kid in me is delighted with another actual licensed, original Macross product. :-)
Sanjeev (Admin)
I hear you. I mean, far be it from me to dictate what the "official" color scheme is...but after having seen the movie a billion times, it's always occurred to me that they were solid dark green...and that was always real neat and very alien to me.

Either way, I'm all for this toy. I have three of the regular TV ones, and they're great. I was just planning on painting them up like how I think they should look from the movie!

And, yes, that pic totally looks like they just played with the color balance in Photoshop. Eh well.

Moar OG Macross villain toys, pleez.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Of course, some official source is bound to prove my eyes wrong...

Hah, well, that source is about as unofficial as they get, and of course they don't ever credit the sources of their information, so there's no way to track down the origin of that art without digging through their forums to try and find the person who submitted it, and THAT person may not even have listed their source, if they're even aware what publication they found a scan from...

It's also hard to say if the solid-green Regults in DYRL is meant to be literal, or a stylistic touch. It's not unheard of for anime of the period to color "background" machines a single solid color, rather than a more detailed color scheme, just to distinguish them better from the "protagonist" robots...

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
asterphage Wrote:
> Hah, well, that source is about as unofficial as
> they get, and of course they don't ever credit the
> sources of their information, so there's no way to
> track down the origin of that art without digging
> through their forums to try and find the person
> who submitted it, and THAT person may not even
> have listed their source, if they're even aware
> what publication they found a scan from...

True, true. I figure because the MAHQ pic matches the Toynami pic pretty well, odds are they're on the same page (the "official" page).

> It's also hard to say if the solid-green Regults
> in DYRL is meant to be literal, or a stylistic
> touch. It's not unheard of for anime of the period
> to color "background" machines a single solid
> color, rather than a more detailed color scheme,
> just to distinguish them better from the
> "protagonist" robots...

Welllll....that's kinda what Ray was saying, but I dunno. When I watch that clip, the Zentraedi power armors get a decent amount of accurate-color detailing in most frames...but the Regults are pretty much NEVER shown as being multi-colored. They seem dark green everywhere.

Mecha-racists. :P
VF5SS Wrote:
> RainBot Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Did you get one, Veef?
>
> [www.collectiondx.com]
> f_27_grace_oconnor_normal_type
>
> No.
Good review. The comments afterward are interesting...
You know, as much as I whine about web exclusives... this one makes sense to me. Yes, I have to pay at least a 50% markup, but at least I get something cool - the problem with most casual observers of these things is that they are used to going to Toys R Us and seeing the bloody Ice Cream Maker dude from Empire Strikes Back as a figure, so they naturally expect to see the same thing in their Macross toys.
At least with this web exclusive, you are getting a complete toy and then some. Sure, you have to pay an extra hundred bucks for its stupid display stand, but it is nowhere near as bad as the Big O fiasco.
RainBot Wrote:
> Sure, you have to
> pay an extra hundred bucks for its stupid display
> stand,

or pay 12 bucks for a flex-display stand which is still better in just about every way
Flexidisplay stands rock.
They can be used for anything, and look great.
For Yamato stuff, their Mighty Block display stands are actually pretty cool, and they cost about the same, although they are not universal. I have heard claims they suck, but 9 of my V2 VF-1s are displayed with them and they look and work perfectly. Moreover, they inter-lock, have many configurations (for multiple toys) and are very posable.
The Yamato "hangar arm" is nice, if a little pricey. Both offer more positions than the flexidisplay (but I have not swapped out any arms yet).
I heartily recommend the the latter for any display piece.
Anonymous User
Personally, I don't like Yamato's DYRL hangar-arm. The damn thing's too busy. Maybe one, for diorama needs, but I wouldn't them for all my Valks.

Flexi-stands do rock. Especially the one holding up my UniFive Godphoenix.
Flexistanda (or whatever they're called now) are cool, but I haven't really found a use for them other than jets and vehicles.
[hk.myblog.yahoo.com]

to be continued...
This CG for the Yamato Fire Valk doesn't have the perfect proportions of the Hi-Metal (the legs are a little chunky, with small feet, IMO) but look at all that tiny detail in the close up of the torso.

-Paul Segal

according to their Wonderfest schedule, Yamato is going to reveal the Fire Valkyrie prototype at the show.

i hope they cast it in red test plastic
I hope they cast it in CLEAR red plastic.

-Paul Segal

hi metal strike VF-1S

[gamu-toys.info]

gamu reviews the blazer valkyrie
Detail Improvement Parts with optional movable side lazers or not, I don't really like the head sculpt on the Blazer. It just seems soft, poorly defined... lacking the jutting chin and overhanging forehead of the design. However, the rest of the toy is incredibly slick.

-Paul Segal

Anonymous User
Toynami's doing the light missile Regult, and then the next Macross vinyl is the GLAUG officer's pod! (I was told the Glaug is already at the factory, but a sample wasn't available for SDCC.)

[gallery.figures.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer