Time to Procure a Valkyrie

Posted by MikeD 
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> Whole deal. It's going to be like those banpresto
> Macross F things that were reviewed on Collection
> DX. The Valkyries are part of that deal.

We have no interest in Lucky Star crossover items.

...WAIT A MINUTE, is that a little blue-haired girl wearing the farting lizard phone like a sleeping bag?!
The girl dressed up as Alto with the paper airplane is kind of neat, too, if only because the Lucky Star character has the right hair so it looks like the Macross character and not just someone else in his outfit. (Unlike the others, which look awkwardly not quite like either character)

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Adam had to edit out the part where I said it was not a good toy but at least you get to see it fall over three times.
Got my DX Armored Ozma Custom today... pretty sweet except for the dumb hip armor design which seriously impedes the enjoyment of transforming the toy. Gerwalk continues to be the weakest mode, even with the new 'support struts'. Anyway...

I've got to seriously re-jig the display when the DX Macross Quarter arrives!
I'm gonna have to get the new Armored Ozma at some point... curse my vinyl affliction!

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
servbot30 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...akin to the pinup
> girls that were painted on US WW2 jets...

Wait...so these guys are trying to emulate the aircraft that nearly bombed their cities back to the stone age??

Man...some people's misguided fascinations and fixations on WWII could use some fucking psychotherapy...

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Says the guy from the country where re-enacting our own Civil War is a popular pass-time.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hey, it goes both ways!

I sure didn't say ALL Japanese were obsessed with WWII...and not all USers are obsessed with the US Civil War.

Hey...I seem to recall you mentioning that the Japanese love German stuff in your Sturmvogel review! :P
Well to be fair the VF-22 is named after some variant of the Me-262. Just like almost every Valkyrie is named after some real airplane.
Yeah, that "sturmvogel" reference is nothing big, compared to so many anime & games where dozens of characters or mecha are named after German planes, guns, etc.

-Paul Segal

Or Hitler himself.

Berserk Fuhrer, I am looking at you, despite being a totally awesome Zoid.

(Especially considering that the additional armor set is called the "Storm Unit", so you get "Storm Fuhrer", which is all kinds of wrong...)
Well I guess you can see it that way, but Fuhrer just means "leader" in German but I suppose it will always associated with Hitler. But concerning Japan and it's fascination with WWII I may be wrong since I'm no expert but I get the feeling they like to romanticize it and see themselves as both the aggressor and victim in it. It almost seems like there was two different kinds of Japan one from before the drop of the Atomic bomb and the one after and the one after sees itself as not the one that was actually involved, like "oh that was a different Japan" if I'm making myself clear. But I find it quite interesting the dichotomy Japan has with it's history, they love and revere tradition and history but that won't stop them from bulldozing it for the next new thing. It's quite the balancing act, but again I'm no expert.
Anonymous User
Drif, does your armored valk have the unwanted 'collapsing' Battroid mode feature? Remember how I said this seems tighter on this armored release on my mini review (see above)? Well, I was wrong. Yesterday, the top half finally collapsed backwards (the tab disengaged from the socket) due to the weight of the wing thrusters. Ever since then, it keeps popping off and I'm having a hard time displaying him on my desk without the stand now. I'm also wary about shaking the desk too hard for hear he may collapse again. This issue plagues my Michael set as well. Do you have a way around this? ARGH! To think I bought 2 sets!
If it's serious bad, the usual fix is supaglue or nail polish on the peg to thicken it up a bit. You know the drill...

It's not a problem on my DXs so far, except for Alto because I really put it through the grinder. Because of the tight squeeze on my Macross shelf, Armored Ozma is actually partially 'supported' by the neighboring 1/55 battroids in the back, as well as the Konig Monster on the side. Guess it's a blessing in disguise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2009 08:35PM by drifand.
This armor is harder to attach than the first 1/60 scale armors.
I would say that the difficulty lies with the new oversized, 2-part hip armors. All the rest is chicken feed:

- Chest, intake, legs, shoulder pods, thrusters

It is the hip armors that cause frustration because they need to be separated and reattached somewhere-in-between-the-transformation. And the aggravation is much worse than previous issues of the intake covers falling off too easily.

Nevertheless, if you like the series and want to own a nice Ozma custom, this set is still the better deal if only because of the straightened head lasers and optional neck prop.

I also venture to say no matter how bad THIS version is at seeing through Kawamori's vision of a full-transforming Armored Valkyrie, the 1/72 kit will probably give owners more nightmares, what with the paint job and tighter tolerances for parts-fit. I would love to see how the kit tackled the hip armor pieces, but to me it looks like anime magic won again.
They're just ball joints.

Mine has some QC issues. One of the wings has barely any locking nubs so it just swings freely with the armor attached. Also why are none of the parts labeled left or right? I can't tell which is which just by looking at them.

Man this toy costs as much as the GFFM Zeta Plus and its nowhere near that kind of quality.
Best to go with your heart - if the first couple of DXs already didn't rock your boat, how much better could the same thing with bulkier and heavier armor do? Sell them and hope/wait for the eventual SPEC versions. Bandai learned all the wrong tricks from Yamato regarding meeting the needs of Macross fans.
drifand Wrote:
> Bandai learned all the
> wrong tricks from Yamato regarding meeting the
> needs of Macross fans.

Are you fucking kidding me? Bandai toys suck because of another company? Now I know you're delusional.
Well, you do have to admit that the general vibe Yamato is giving off is "No matter how many design/quality control faults keep slipping through, rabid Macross fanboys will keep buying our millions of Valkyrie variations by the dozen!"...

So Bandai likely thought that the same thing would work for them...
>Well, you do have to admit that the general vibe Yamato is giving off is "No matter >how many design/quality control faults keep slipping through, rabid Macross fanboys >will keep buying our millions of Valkyrie variations by the dozen!"...

>So Bandai likely thought that the same thing would work for them...

That's why I decide that I'll probably never buy another Valkyrie again. Something better ALWAYS comes out after I get it. Even after getting the Revoltech ones, now there is word of transforming ones on the way.

The original Takatoku/Bandai reissues are still the best.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
I'm perfectly serious. Yamato's QC and design record is well known. Up until around the YF-21 v2, not a single version 1 design didn't have something out of whack. So far, after the re-entrance of Bandai into the cozy little Macross market, Yamato has done a MUCH better job of not screwing up their first runs (deliberately or otherwise). The Destroids by all reports are solid, as are the 2.0s of the 21 and 11B. That's evidence of competition at work.
Anonymous User
VF5SS Wrote:
> This armor is harder to attach than the first 1/60
> scale armors.

Well, not quite. HOWEVER - try transforming him from the Battroid mode with the armor on to the fighter mode. Gawd, what an experience. My recommendation is if you find removing bits of armor makes it easier to transform the guy, then just remove it.

Here's a hint - remove the chestpiece, crotch armor (this cannot stay on anyway) & boosters. The tab below the wings are very difficult to secure into the socket on the leg armor without removing the booster packs. Also, the oversized hip armor can actually be disengaged from the main hip piece. Attach the main hip piece first (fighter mode), then the armor. Otherwise, it's almost impossible to attach the damn thing.

Another frustration I had was with the armor for the arms. As highlighted by Graham in MW, there's a design flaw with them (it looks like the arm was designed without the armor attachment in mind), and it's really obvious in the fighter mode. There's an L-shaped hook on one end and a tab on the other. The tab, however, doesn't have a proper socket to sit in. It sits on a V-shaped groove on the edge of the elbow. Unfortunately, in the fighter mode, the elbow area is supposed to be flushed with another section, thus eliminating the groove, leaving no allowance for the tab. In other words, to secure the armpiece, you'll need to bend the elbow slightly so the groove doesn't flush completely. It's quite secure, but not as secure as I'd like it to be. And if it drops off in Fighter mode, good luck trying to attach it. You'd probably have to un-transform him halfway just so you can pop the damn thing back on.

Quite a few complaints, I know. However, once you get all the pieces on, like I said earlier, it's really tight and nothing drops off easily. They are more secure overall than the fast packs. I've verified that this is the case at least for the Fighter and Battroid modes.

My next project: gonna' complete my 1/72 armored Ozma kit (60% complete) and take comparison shots with the DX. For the curious ones - the armor on the kit cannot be removed. *sigh*. And landing gear on the armor cannot retract either. In many ways, even though I'm only 60% thru', I already find the DX more superior despite its more chunky porportions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2009 02:08AM by Amuro-Ray.
Anonymous User
drifand Wrote:
>Bandai learned all the
> wrong tricks from Yamato regarding meeting the
> needs of Macross fans.

You know what? I agree with this statement somewhat. At some point, while transforming this toy, I feel like I'm handling a Yamato toy. It sure wasn't as smooth as tranforming my SOCs.
Yeah, and trust me, Amuro - I wasn't rubbing my hands in glee when I said that. Nevertheless, I AM thankful for a large modern styled Macross transforming toy that doesn't break, even if it's weak in some points. I'm still holding out on Yamato's otherwise worthy Destroids until at least the Spartan is confirmed.
In other news, the VF100 VF-19 appears to be designed by competent people.
Attachments:
open | download - vf100ad.jpg (121.4 KB)
It's probably the 1/72 model kit but I love the color scheme and head design.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Attachments:
open | download - 1251037236239.jpg (82.1 KB)
drifand Wrote:
>Nevertheless, I AM
> thankful for a large modern styled Macross
> transforming toy that doesn't break, even if it's
> weak in some points.

However, two people on MW reported that their VF-25 broke at the wing root hinge (which apparently split). Let's hope those were flukes, unlike the $#!+ shoulder problems that plague Yamato's products...
I would love to know the average production runs for large Macross toys from both Yamato and Bandai. Then we'd get some perspective on how 'small and niche' Yamato really is, or how much larger Bandai believes the market to be.
Anonymous User
gerwalk doenst really work even with that extra support part they added?
I couldn't get it to work.
The problem is the legs just hang there with the stand...

I didn't know that you have to switch the little neck polycap on and off when you transform it. What the heck? Another tiny piece to keep track of, along with the crotch armor and the gun mount? Plus it took like half the review just to put the thing on...
Sanjeev (Admin)
I love the final statement in the review: "It'll do."

Classic!

Good review, Andrew...though I honestly do kinda wish I could've seen some of the carnage that went into the armored GERWALK mode..!

Anyway, just watching the review got me thinking... I know it sounds like sacrilege, but I think I could actually go for non-transformable figures of these Valk designs (like Revoltech, Yamato GNU, whatever...).

I'm thinking of a set of three toys (one of each mode)...in, say, 1/100 scale or so. Each set would be a different Valk design, and different sets would be available in the different flavors: naked, FAST pack armor, GBP-1S (or whatever they're calling the Ozma armor). The armor shouldn't be removable...basically anything to make the toy sturdy and stable.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I love the final statement in the review: "It'll
> do."
>
> Classic!
>
> Good review, Andrew...though I honestly do kinda
> wish I could've seen some of the carnage that went
> into the armored GERWALK mode..!
>
> Anyway, just watching the review got me
> thinking... I know it sounds like sacrilege, but I
> think I could actually go for non-transformable
> figures of these Valk designs (like Revoltech,
> Yamato GNU, whatever...).
>
> I'm thinking of a set of three toys (one of each
> mode)...in, say, 1/100 scale or so. Each set would
> be a different Valk design, and different sets
> would be available in the different flavors:
> naked, FAST pack armor, GBP-1S (or whatever
> they're calling the Ozma armor). The armor
> shouldn't be removable...basically anything to
> make the toy sturdy and stable.

If you don't transform the VF100 versions, are they stable?
Sanjeev (Admin)
It's a good question. Unfortunately, I've never handled a VF100. Josh's review of the VF-25 was pretty abysmal, though...

I'm guess because it's mostly thin styrene, the figure would be pretty fragile. I'd like something more like a Revoltech (minus the WAAAY over-stylized crotch-thrust poses)...or better yet, the GNU-DOU.
There's two Fighter-only metallic VF100 VF-25's for some toy show out there...
Macross Quarter pic I got from MW. Nice to see the shoulders don't droop as much as on the earlier pictures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2009 03:00PM by thomas.
Attachments:
open | download - 3856907093_8e8d743879_o.jpg (222.9 KB)
Well Bandai is doing Robot Tamashii Battroid mode only toys for the Alto and it comes with the super packs so perhaps they will do the full armor option as well. You know for the price, the set I got should come with the armor. It actually would have made more sense for Bandai to release a package with Ozma's full armor and super packs because right now the first issue of the toy without anything is totally useless.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I love the final statement in the review: "It'll
> do."
>
> Classic!

Well at least thanks to Josh I was able to get the toy at cost. Considering the box is big enough to comfortably hold four of the basic VF-25 toys I don't want to think about shipping.

> Good review, Andrew...though I honestly do kinda
> wish I could've seen some of the carnage that went
> into the armored GERWALK mode..!
>

It was just ten minutes of my futzing with the toy and swearing.

> (or whatever
> they're calling the Ozma armor). The armor
> shouldn't be removable...basically anything to
> make the toy sturdy and stable.

It's called APS-25. Which actually sounds like a reasonable acronym. The DX toy is pretty close to being stable. Notice it didn't start to sag until I added the second booster lol. The toy's biggest problem is its obvious they didn't plan for the armor from the start. They didn't even plan for the underwing stores as evident by the crappy looking missiles they include in those exclusive sets. Some of the bits could have been solved with magnets like the arms. The groin armor could have been attached via a magnet or some other tabs since you have leave it off for gerwalk and fighter modes but as far as I can tell there's enough space for it. Its just that the main tab blocks the joint.
> The toy's biggest problem is its obvious they
> didn't plan for the armor from the start.

Is there really ANY excuse for this anymore? Especially from Bandai. On Gundam products (particularly model kits) they work all kinds of features into the molding to allow for later variations, a lot of which they never even end up making. Hell, on Gundam model kits, they even work details into the molding to make it easier to do certain popular fan modifications that they don't plan to make into designed-in features. You'd think that a high-end toy for a series that's pretty much planned to produce piles of milkable design variants would entail the same consideration.

EDIT: But then they designed Aquarion from the ground up to be a three-vehicle, three-robot-mode combination that would WORK as a toy, and they still couldn't make it stand up on its own. So maybe it's just that old Kawamori Curse again...

-Paul Segal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2009 09:59PM by asterphage.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer