Time to Procure a Valkyrie

Posted by MikeD 
Yamato has redeemed itself.
I compared the RVF-25 to the VF-1s I recently snagged at an HLJ sale and the VF-11B. What a difference.
It took me a good part of the morning to get the RVF 25's armour to stay on while I transformed it back into plane mode. Bits were popping off like a Yamato product. Er, an earlier Yamato product. Clearly, Bandai dropped the ball in a number of areas. Swappable hands? Pelvic armour, a gun and a knife that have no place to go in plane mode! What the hell?

The RVF 25 is easier to play with sans armour, and is quite a spectacular design. The heft is impressive and there's a lot of Bandai love there... but not enough. In fact, it's like Yamato and Bandai switched roles here. The Yamato 1/60 clearly kicks ass. Solid in all three modes. Beautiful in all three modes. Double jointed elbows!
While I think this will be the last Bandai Valkyrie I'll get (unless there's a sale)I am going to have to get all of 1/60 VF-1s. They are THAT impressive. May the great invisible sky-bully have mercy upon us all!




Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2009 12:09PM by RainBot.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1028_1.jpg (204.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_1032.jpg (149.8 KB)
Wait, the gun doesn't fit onto the RVF-25 in plane mode? I only have the blue one, but both guns connect in plane mode, though there's an extra piece (naturally) to get it to fit, and there's no way for the plane to land on it's landing gears with that huge sniper rifle.

Agree about the knife. Also broke off one of the little tabs near where the shield is stored, which peg the arms in place, and they're so tiny I'm not sure superglue will hold it. And the chest armor fell to pieces, and I'll have to glue that. The best part about the toy are the feet.

I got my first 1/60v2, Hikaru's VF-1S Strike about a month ago, but left him in battroid mode. Last week, I finally tried to transform him back, and had a ton of trouble with getting the legs back out from the nosecone, even trying the suggested tricks. Now I'm a little worried about transforming him back.

Lastly, what's up with the Origin of Valk line? I know that the plan for Toynami to release the old chunky 1/55's is on hold again, but is there a plan for more of these to come out from Bandai? After waiting forever for BBTS to come through, I finally ordered the Hikaru Super VF-1A from somewhere else... and I forgot how much I love this toy. And like half the price of the RVF-25. I can actually pick him up, transform him in seconds, and nothing falls off or breaks.
VF5SS Wrote:
> I like the bit where Kawamori wants a VF-9 toy.
> That's the origami airplane.
> [www.new-un-spacy.com]

Intriguingly, the upcoming Prop Plus Petite toy of Alto Saotome will include an actual origami airplane.

[www.mpsnet.co.jp]

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Attachments:
open | download - bandai-h091126L.jpg (41.4 KB)
fel9 Wrote:
> Damn it all to hell...
> I really wanted to avoid buying the new 1/60th
> range, but they keep coming up with variants never
> done before...Let me tell you that if they make a
> Virgin Road VF-1D then its over...I'll be in with
> both feet...

THEY DID IT

[www.yamato-toys.com]

[www.yamato-toys.com]

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> Looking at the original drawing for how the VF-1's
> legs are ACTUALLY suppose to transform, I do think
> that it would be feasible in todays toy
> technology.

What about the not-quite-original drawing for how the VF-1's legs were NEVER supposed to transform?

(Originally posted in this thread)

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
thomas Wrote:
> (although I wouldn't be surprised to see a regular
> release Super/Armoured Alto set later on with
> Michael's sniper rifle thrown in...possibly if
> Bandai produces a VF-27...)

I would just like to note that they did this with the model kit of Alto's Armored VF-25 - the valkyrie-and-armor-in-one-box kit included the sniper gunpod.

Okay, I'm done.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
fujishig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wait, the gun doesn't fit onto the RVF-25 in plane
> mode?

The gun does not fit. Nor is their a piece to hold it.
>
> Agree about the knife. Also broke off one of the
> little tabs near where the shield is stored, which
> peg the arms in place, and they're so tiny I'm not
> sure superglue will hold it.


Yeah, despite its heft and apparent sturdiness, I got stress marks on the radome's support pylon, and a varied selection of paint scratches.

> I got my first 1/60v2, Hikaru's VF-1S Strike about
> a month ago, but left him in battroid mode. Last
> week, I finally tried to transform him back, and
> had a ton of trouble with getting the legs back
> out from the nosecone, even trying the suggested
> tricks. Now I'm a little worried about
> transforming him back.

I've had no problems. I was quite impressed with the refinement of the 1/48 design and the intelligent choices made to improve upon it. The hip door you speak of was one of the easier bits to fiddle with. Odd you are having a problem with it.


> Lastly, what's up with the Origin of Valk line? I
> know that the plan for Toynami to release the old
> chunky 1/55's is on hold again, but is there a
> plan for more of these to come out from Bandai?
> After waiting forever for BBTS to come through, I
> finally ordered the Hikaru Super VF-1A from
> somewhere else... and I forgot how much I love
> this toy. And like half the price of the RVF-25.
> I can actually pick him up, transform him in
> seconds, and nothing falls off or breaks.

Yes, the 1/55 is by far the peak of the design... and not just for Macross, but for toys in general. It is, bar none, the best transforming toy ever, and has held that record for 25 years.
Too bad the 1/55th will never pass the drop test.
Anonymous User
I finally got around to getting a 1/60v2 Hikaru 1A Super (Thanks HLJ Mega Clearance) and I am pretty pleased. It feels great all around, much better than the 1/48. There are only a few things i don't like about it.

First is That one of the two backpack hinges is very tight and can be a bit scary to fold over.

When in battroid mode the door that holds the swingbar in doesn't seem to stay closed as securely as the 1/48. The little hook on the backpack also doesn't want to clip onto the back plate with the door pushed in without putting quite a bit of force on the backpack itself, it is okay if i leave the panel flush. The clip itself doesn't really even seem necessary so i have just been leaving it unhooked so far.

When in fighter mode the gunpod touches the ground with the super parts on. Did the 1/48 also suffer this problem?
VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too bad the 1/55th will never pass the drop test.


That's 'cause Bandai made it.
When Tonka makes a Valkyrie, then we'll talk.
Yeah the little backpack clamp seems entirely superfluous considering that the boosters are just one piece and the backpack stays up on its own.
> It took me a good part of the morning to get the
> RVF 25's armour to stay on while I transformed it
> back into plane mode. Bits were popping off like a
> Yamato product. Er, an earlier Yamato product.
> Clearly, Bandai dropped the ball in a number of
> areas.

...

You must be doing something wrong. Like not pressing things on far enough. Mine is rock-solid.

> Swappable hands? Pelvic armour,

I find it funny the hands is a problem, given that most SOCs also have swappable hands, and we don't hear any complaints about those. The Pelvic armor does fit.

> a gun and a
> knife that have no place to go in plane mode! What
> the hell?

The RVF-25's gun is not supposed to be attached in plane mode, as per animation/God (Kawamori)'s word. But the knife is indeed stupid.

> In fact, it's like Yamato
> and Bandai switched roles here. The Yamato 1/60
> clearly kicks ass. Solid in all three modes.
> Beautiful in all three modes. Double jointed
> elbows!

Breaking shoulders! Quality control that still SUCKS after 8 years! I don't want to pay their absurd prices if things have a 25-50% chance of having serious defects straight out of the box.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
fujishig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wait, the gun doesn't fit onto the RVF-25 in plane
> mode?
>
They left out the connecting piece.

> Lastly, what's up with the Origin of Valk line? I
> know that the plan for Toynami to release the old
> chunky 1/55's is on hold again, but is there a
> plan for more of these to come out from Bandai?

Apparently, BigWest is being an ass about it, or so I read on MW.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too bad the 1/55th will never pass the drop test.

Do the Yamatos even pass it?



...most vintage Takatoku/Bandais that have seriously been played/bashed with tend to miss only the head cannons, while the arms loosen with play and eventually drop off because the screw holding them on fell out - and they're 25 years old. While most Yamatos that have had the same fate are multi-piece affairs (and I'm not talking about their bazillion accessories...) after no more than 1-8 years...

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> They left out the connecting piece.

There's also a big ass radar fin where the gun would mount, so it's not exactly reasonable to expect it to mount there.
thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> You must be doing something wrong. Like not
> pressing things on far enough. Mine is
> rock-solid.

Mine is rock solid now that everything is on, minus the intake cover armour. Transforming it with armour on involves lots of floor-scooping. Have you read this review of the Mikhail custom?
[www.collectiondx.com]
It's quite accurate of my experience.

I will however, have to apologize for the codpiece. Apparently, I'm an idiot. The peice fits in fine and makes lining up the wings to the feet much easier with the armour on.
Still, the intake armour
covers just now obediently popped off and fell to the floor as I did this.

> I find it funny the hands is a problem, given that
> most SOCs also have swappable hands, and we don't
> hear any complaints about those.


Different animal, especially with Yamato striving for complete transformation of their products, and as much accuracy as possible. Dude, Bandai knew their work would be compared to Yamato's. The gun, I can forgive. This thing is a recon vehicle, and as you said, it doesn't have anywhere to go in the anime either.
But the hands... it doesn't take much to put room in the design to allow for larger hands, posable hands or concealable hands in the wrists, like Yamato did.

> Breaking shoulders! Quality control that still
> SUCKS after 8 years! I don't want to pay their
> absurd prices if things have a 25-50% chance of
> having serious defects straight out of the box.

Hmmm. No problems here, and I have two.I'll let you know when I get more.
To me, the 1/60 v2 is the best post-1/55 valkyire yet, and the bar has been set pretty darned high. Maybe I'll work up the courage to transform my YF-19, 21 and SV-51.
The shoulder issue was because everyone was doing it wrong.

Personally I think fixed posed hands are always better. They generally hold the weapons better and look nicer. Even on huge Perfect Grade Gundams the novelty of fully articulated hands wear off when you realize you're just plugging guns into the palm because the fingers can't really hold anything. Hey if it took NASA millions of dollars to make articulated hands for Robotnaut, can we really expect the same of Bandai :p
VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The shoulder issue was because everyone was doing
> it wrong.
>

If everyone was doing it wrong, then there's something wrong with the design. ;)
Anonymous User
According to reports of the Robotech presentation at Anime Expo, Toynami's "Stealth VF-1S Veritech" for SDCC will be under $30.

Now to find someone who will pick one up for me...
Thomas, is there a secret to the intake armor? Because mine always falls off too.

The saving grace for the swappable hands is that the other, non karate-chop hands do fit into the shield in fighter mode, so at least if you prefer one set of hands you can just leave them on.

Biggest complaint I have is the gerwalk mode and the hanging legs.
45cm long. Heh.
Attachments:
open | download - 65466gr76ypg.jpg (62.4 KB)
VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The shoulder issue was because everyone was doing
> it wrong.

Although the shoulders are innately weak and can be broken from mishandling they can also break on their own. I've had a Roy VF-1S since it released sitting in it's box and when I recently checked it both the shoulders are cracked. I have only transformed it to battroid once and then back. When I did so they were not cracked. I've got it in pieces right now until I can punch out the hinge bar, sand it down and glue the cracks shut. Of course I hear they may do a TV ROy so it may be a pointless endeavor.

If you were being facetious/sarcastic please ignore this post lol
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wait--you're telling me you had an unbroken toy...put it back into its box, still unbroken...then you took it out of the box sometime later...and it was magically broken?

Whassis? Toy fucking gremlins?
Were there any signs of stress or something before you put it back in the box?


Well this is somewhat promising. The DX VF-25 appears to be capable of standing with all of its armor. I'll let you guys know the whole story in my eventual CDX review.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2009 11:21AM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - macrosvf25satta.jpg (29.4 KB)
Alto with packs.
Attachments:
open | download - altoid01.jpg (214.5 KB)
Tamashii Queadluun Rea and VF-25
Attachments:
open | download - tamashiiqrea.jpg (162.3 KB)
open | download - tamashiivf25.jpg (186.3 KB)
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wait--you're telling me you had an unbroken
> toy...put it back into its box, still
> unbroken...then you took it out of the box
> sometime later...and it was magically broken?
>
> Whassis? Toy fucking gremlins?


Hey, those little fuckers broke my New Material Turn-A Gundam's shoulders the same way .... :(

Best,
--Ken-A
[gamu-toys.info]

I'm on a Gamlin kick
That is really awesome looking. But does it blend?

For some reason the face and color remind me of this:

[www.flickr.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
AcroRay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ah, so that's where the auction pic came from.
> It'd be nice if Toynami would release some decent
> info, so I can try to get a friend to find me one.
> (Like that damn V.I.N.Cent vinyl, where the
> designers are talking it up but no one's saying
> who'll be selling it for sure, quantity, or
> price... grrr...)


Let's try this again...

No new news on the Toynami front, but CDX just posted these pics:
[www.collectiondx.com]

As for the V.I.N.Cent vinyl, I just got the 411 from Atom: there will be a total of 300 of these made. 150 will be at the MINDstyle booth, 150 will be at the ToyTokyo booth. They'll be $130 a pop at either spot. And they're huge (somewhere around 12"?).

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> As for the V.I.N.Cent vinyl, I just got the 411
> from Atom: there will be a total of 300 of these
> made. 150 will be at the MINDstyle booth, 150 will
> be at the ToyTokyo booth. They'll be $130 a pop at
> either spot. And they're huge (somewhere around
> 12"?).


Ah well -- so much for that! Too few to find, too expensive to search for. Pity; looked cool.

Thanks,
--Ken-A
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wait--you're telling me you had an unbroken
> toy...put it back into its box, still
> unbroken...then you took it out of the box
> sometime later...and it was magically broken?
>
> Whassis? Toy fucking gremlins?
Hopefully the Gremlins don't get my vintage jetfire too :) Although he's not in his original box but neatly packed away.

Well "supposedly" the burs on the pins that hold them in put undue stress 0n the plastic(?) hinges they are placed between. This eventually cracks them over time.

@chunkypuff31
None that I recall seeing and I did inspect for them.

I saw initial reports on MW saying the problem existed but I initially had no problem(s) so I dismissed it. I even see reports some early models shipped cracked or even replacements arrived cracked. Which of course seems ridiculous. I will say the cracking in no way had so far compromised the figure or it's ability to articulate the arms.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ah, that makes more sense. Blows ass...but still makes sense.

I wish in this hyper-competitive global economy, companies weren't so damn driven to get their products to market so quickly...they'd be able to catch problems like this...
Anonymous User
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Let's try this again...
>
> No new news on the Toynami front, but CDX just
> posted these pics:
> [www.collectiondx.com]
> nami_comic_con_2009_exclusives
>

Yup. They'll be under $30, according to Toynami's news at Anime Expo. Another kind Phorum member here is going to try to nab one for me! :-)

> As for the V.I.N.Cent vinyl, I just got the 411
> from Atom: there will be a total of 300 of these
> made. 150 will be at the MINDstyle booth, 150 will
> be at the ToyTokyo booth. They'll be $130 a pop at
> either spot. And they're huge (somewhere around
> 12"?).

Gah - Too rich & limited for my blood, although that's a damn nice size. Thanks for the news on that!
Robot Tamashii Koenig Monster. Looks like it transforms into shuttle mode.
Attachments:
open | download - rtvb6.jpg (194.2 KB)
Let's hope the Tamashii Konig has better joints than the Yamato...
Listen to my song, dammit.



[www.toy-world.com.hk]
Anonymous User
drifand Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let's hope the Tamashii Konig has better joints
> than the Yamato...

I totally heart my Yamato Konig Monster (probably even moreso because I got it for $90) - one of the coolest damn toys in my collection.

Its really nice Bandai's coming up with a less-expensive option, and breaking the line out of Valk exclusivity along with the Queadluun. If I didn't already have Yamato's Monster, I'd be doing the happy dance for Bandai. I've got a couple of friends who'll be dancing as well, depending on the SRP.
What's the scale on the Robot Damashii stuff? same as the 100s?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer