Time to Procure a Valkyrie

Posted by MikeD 
4 25s, no loose crotch. Geez I'm lucky.
I can say the same thing about my Yamato toys but that doesn't matter right?

I've probably had more Revoltech problems.
I think it's all about perspective. Yamato has had 8 years to finetune their processes but it seems that beyond CAD niceties, they've only perfected the 'perpetual upgrade cycle' game. I seriously think what we've got here is a toy-world mirror of the Apple vs Microsoft saga. And the VF-25 is to Yamato what Windows 95 was to Apple: a fucking wake-up call.

The VF-0's 'incompatible materials' issue was merely the last the straw for me.
The latest YF-19? It's beautiful unless you snap the neck if you're 'unlucky'.
The YF-21 is probably the least worrisome new Yamato yet, Score 1 for Yamato! But out of how many releases?
The VF-1 v2 brought back the overly-optimistic engineering problems again.
The VF-11B? Time will tell, but it's basically meaningless without a good (by that I mean DURABLE) YF-19 for company.

The VF-25? A loose crotch (for some) and some and a bad batch of screws in the shoulders. Excuse me if I find that less of a major problem and more a signal of better things to come.
Whoa are you two guys still debating the whole Bandai/Yamato thing still???? I look at it this way, two different companies with vastly different resources and design mandates. Yamato's to me are more like pre-built models, exquisite in the details, aesthetics, and engineering but not built for rough n' tumble use. While Bandai's toys are built for durability first, if they believe making a joint so and so more flexible or use soft rubber instead of solid plastic that will compromise the durability they will error on the side of caution even though it may compromise the look.

As for Yamato's constant re-designing of VF-1's (Bandai seems to be in this boat now with "upgraded" versions of VF-25's coming) well I just add that up to constant improvements in engineering and technology. It's not like these are the zenith of Valk design and they can't get any better. I have no doubt in my mind that in ten years when there is yet another new version of VF-1's or even VF-25's that todays toys will be like chunky monkeys or the first 1/60 from Yamato compared to those future toys.

But what the fuck do I know, I own neither lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2009 11:16AM by chen.
I try my best not to comment on new Yamato releases but it's hard not to feel a sad sense of dejavu when things like this crop up:

[www.macrossworld.com]

Why sad? Because any fan would love to own problem-free versions of these 'toys', but the maker has, like you said, different priorities. For anyone who feels short-changed by the imperfect VF-25, take that frustration and multiply it by 8 years to get a feel for the other side.
If you lived in Japan those parts would be free. End of story.
Yes, because OBVIOUSLY if you bought a 1:1 car and the doors would break off at the hinges in 50+% of the cases, and the manufacturer would send you replacement parts for free, that is as excellent as a car that may have the hinges fall apart without actual breakage except for one easily replaced screw in <0.1% of all cars sold.

OBVIOUSLY.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Despite the sort of temptation involved, I've kinda gone total embargo on any Yamato transforming Valks.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
AcroRay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I forget exactly where I got mine. I do remember
> calling on the phone, in addition to an e-mail,
> and an advert in a magazine.

I remember exactly where I got my crotch problem.
I must break you.
If Yamato can change, Bandai can change.
Going by Yamato's evolution, that means flying Bandai Valkyries in 2015.

That, or a 1:12 scale perfect grade.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Would a perfect grade give us a 'better' grade? It just seems so tough to get a good variable fighter, isn't it?
[gamu-toys.info]

Gamu has the VF-11B.
Oh my gosh.
I just watched that Yamato TV spot.
The first fella who transformed the VF 22S needs to work on hygiene. His Howard Hughes-like pinky nail kept distracting me. Ew!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Holy crap.

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Atom was being too kind. The fighter modes for these toys look assy and unconvincing with those ridiculous intakes, landing gear and upward swept wings. I am so glad I didn't even bother opening this steaming pile.

On another note, I just received my Yamato 1/60 T.V. VF-1A Max. This has been my Holy Grail valk for quite some time, and Yamato doesn't disappoint. Praise be to the Toy Gods for allowing ANY toy company to see the wisdom in releasing this variant.
I may have to eat my hat.
White stress marks have appeared on the radome of my RVF-25.
The plane sits semi transformed behind my 1/350 scale Yamato as it gradually nears completion. I am actually preferring to tinker with a 400-plus piece wired and lighted model kit than transform a valkyrie. Something's wrong there.
While I am sure HLJ will sell me a replacement part, (or maybe the Tamashii english site will?), my innitial joy has slighly worn off. Don't get me wrong... I am still standing behind my innitial emotionally charged reaction to opening this thing up - I love the heft, the look (yeah, I like the look of the thing, ya bastids!) and the experience of opening it.
Playing with it outside of plane mode has been less than satisfying.
However, as a result, my Yamato nears full assembly in the meantime.
And as for the siren's song of that other Yamato name... I must resist... maybe after Grimlock arrives I'll take a look at that Max TV VF-1A that... no! Nooooooooo! Damn you all to hellllllll!!!! Splutter....
Sanjeev (Admin)
How 'bout this, Rain: you pick up that Yamato Max TV -1A...and I'll pick up that Grimlock! ;)

Time to make some gods damn believers!
It really does boggle the mind how no company in over 25 years ever bothered to make a Max TV VF-1A. The closest we got was that funky Arii model/toy thing.

And as for the siren's song of that other Yamato name... I must resist... maybe after Grimlock arrives I'll take a look at that Max TV VF-1A that... no! Nooooooooo!

Once every few months I find myself considering one of Yamato's expensive macross toys. I never stay interested though. There's just no soul in those things. Look at some pics, handle a classic 1/55 while mulling it over, and then go ahead and buy the damn thing if you must. But any individual Yammie is but a fleeting whim. And a collection would be a sign of disease.

Post your thoughts on Grimlock when you get him. I'm interested in hearing what you think of that bot, as I'm still a bit stunned at how much I enjoy it. Insanity seems a more likely explanation, and I'm dying to find out precisely how crazy I am.
Runaphen Wrote:
> Once every few months I find myself considering
> one of Yamato's expensive macross toys. I never
> stay interested though. There's just no soul in
> those things.

Dude, I feel that way about all new toys.

But never mind that, I want more nerd jousting and crotch talk, please.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 09:22PM by gingaio.
gingaio Wrote:

> Dude, I feel that way about all new toys.
>
> But never mind that, I want more nerd jousting and
> crotch talk, please.

Go buy yourself an MP Grimlock, a Brave Gokin Goshogun, and an SOC Irongear. And put some ointment on your crotch sores. Then get back to me and I'll joust you so verbally you'll think you just got caught stealing all the periwinkle crayons in kindergarten again. Nerd talk so powerful it leads to regression and sobbing. I'm talkin' bawling some big ass tears and not knowing how to tie your damn shoelaces and wanting to get little Beckie naked in the coat closet but not knowing what you'd do with her. Serious, yo.
Runaphen Wrote:
> There's just no soul in those things.

Please God, I'm only seventeen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 11:12PM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - prayer.JPG (11 KB)
Runaphen Wrote:
>and wanting to get little Beckie naked in the coat closet but not
> knowing what you'd do with her. Serious, yo.

I'm not gonna lie. That's fucked up.
VF5SS Wrote:

>
> Please God, I'm only seventeen

chunkypuff31 Wrote:
> I'm not gonna lie. That's fucked up.

Well pardon my paltry existence, asshole, but not all of us could be a fucking Don Juan prior to second grade.
Attachments:
open | download - kamenrider.jpg (88.3 KB)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> How 'bout this, Rain: you pick up that Yamato Max
> TV -1A...and I'll pick up that Grimlock! ;)
>
> Time to make some gods damn believers!

Wow. I am eager to take that plunge... the rope... it's snapping! Nooooo!
I'll tell ya all about Grimlock though. Can't wait to display him with a bloody apron. An apron!!!
I'll just need a 1/60 Zentran officer's hat and coat to complete the Max 1A, though. Any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2009 03:25PM by RainBot.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ah, someone fabricated a Zentraedi officers' coat and cap for a 1/55 Valk...I remember seeing the pic. Time to hit Michael's or Jo-Ann Fabrics, my friend!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Of-fucking-course...

Yamato decides to start pumping out all their new Valks with absurdly-high quality. Stupid Yamato...tempting me with yet *MORE* Valkyrie toys I don't have room for...

[www.collectiondx.com]
I'd suggest not looking at their latest round of VE-1 pics.
Ha, thanks for the plug Sanjeev! I'm glad you liked my review. The Vf-11 really is sublime. I've always been a fan of it, and I think it's still the nicest of the old 1/72 Yamato figures (all three still hold a special place in my heart). Remind me and I'll drag it along to let you check out next time there's a get together I can make ;) Between this for you, the second release DX VF-25 for Josh to compare, and my Jumbo for Dave to scope out, my car's gonna be full up on the to any get together... let-alone needing room for any goodies acquired at said meeting!

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Ben, you missed the aquiring, and getting last weekend, man. I'll save something for summit time for ya.
Nice review on that valk, though.

Now, a glowie plastic valk, seems a stoopid idea, but just to see Sanjeev jibbering in a dark toy corner by hismelf would be so worth it.
Whetherthe quality of a Yamato product is high can only be said after a year or so since the product was first shipped, because some faults only appear after some time...

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
>>because some faults only appear after some time...

Now Bandai, they're upfront about their faults.

Don't listen to them Sanjeev, you just know you want to play with all these bits.
Attachments:
open | download - ve1spread.jpg (193.5 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Eh...it's not even fair...
man fuck bandai and their stupid DX. I've tried everything to get this stupid crotch to lock in place. The fucking tab should fold down so gravity keeps it in place but no it fucking folds up so it slides off. Unless the DX totally redoes this part the whole fucking thing is going to collapse with the armor. fucking hell.
Seriously, my 2nd release Alto has ZERO crotch problems... I'm waiting for the Armored Ozma bundle and assuming it will be fixed on that as well.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
1st release Ozma is the worst fucking toy ever.
You've never owned the Yamato Escaflowne.
Anonymous User
Funny, my 1st release Alto has no crotch issue, I only accidentally had it come out once when i wasn't really holding the toy properly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer