Time to Procure a Valkyrie

Posted by MikeD 

NERD FIGHT!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2009 09:36AM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - nerdfight.jpg (55.7 KB)
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone born after Return of the Jedi was in the
> theaters doesn't have the necessary perspective to
> judge Valkyrie design.

The kids of today have no respect.

Hey, get off my lawn!

:)

Best,
--Ken-A
Don't strain yourself, VF5SS. Might break an arm! :P
From VF5SS's fight pic, it's hard to tell how well the crotch joint's a holdin' up.

Please post some after-fight review pics so's we can stop having the heebeejeebees deciding how to spend our hard earned dollars!
Thank you.
repairtechjon Wrote:
> From VF5SS's fight pic, it's hard to tell how well
> the crotch joint's a holdin' up.

It came undone like five times just trying to do that pose.
So what IS better. Yamato's 2.0 1/60 VF-1's or Bandai's DX VF-25's?

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
This is the best toy ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2009 08:46PM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - besttoyever.JPG (61.2 KB)
MattAlt (Admin)
Pimp my ride!

VF5SS Wrote:
> This is the best toy ever.
>
> [toyboxdx.com]

No.

These are the best toys ever. I have a lion man with a big claw and a gorgeous cat woman with a magic stick. You have an overpriced robot that turns into an airplane. I think it's pretty clear who is the pimp baller and who is the hoser.

I'm sure if Lion-O got into a fight with your plane robot, it would be in little plastic pieces and Lion-O would be laughing and playing tiddlywinks with Snarf.

Also, I wore my Jast4Me rainbow shirt while taking this picture, but I couldn't find a reflective background...otherwise, it would be one ga-gillion more times more evident who is the pimp baller and who is the hoser.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2009 01:11AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Best Toys Ever.jpg (212.1 KB)
The fact that they come with a Wilykit automatically excludes those toys from being the best toys ever.

GAMLIN SAN~!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 07:38AM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - gamlinvf22.jpg (189 KB)
Nice acrylic block. :-)
At first I thought it was just a photoshop color swap but then I noticed the different face.

Oh and that Valk MattAlt posted, I WISH they made a transformable VF-1 that was large enough to hold 3.5 inch figures.

The stupid thing about the Matchbox Valk is that the arms *ARE* mounted on hinges. So they had planned it to be transformable.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Anonymous User
gingaio Wrote:
> and a gorgeous cat woman with a
> magic stick.

Hey - move that over to the moe thread!
THE DX RULES!!! ....well, not really. But they are pretty cool still.

Sanjeev (Admin)
More glowing reports of how great the DX VF-25 is.

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Clearly Atom is filthy MW loving whore.
If ya own it and ya think it sucks, I'll give ya speck.
If ya sit back on yer easy chair and say it sucks cause somebody else says it sucks and ya don't like it anyway, I don't give ya speck, 'cause it's done before you start - and what the heck are ya doing, buying something you hate to begin with? Performing Mecha Culpa?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 10:04PM by RainBot.
Anonymous User
With so many folks bitching about how awful they are, I'd think we'd be seeing more of them dumped lightly used on eBay...
What I really don't get is the whine that the hands are not articulated. Articulated hands tend to suck because they can't hold anything tightly (I tend to glue them on my models). Gimme fixed pose when possible.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Sanjeev (Admin)
I agree: if you don't own--or, at least, have handled in person--how much water does your opinion hold? Not a whole lot. Now, I'm not saying I actually have an opinion on the robustness of the DX -25 at this point. I do have the opinion that it looks like a pile of (my neighbor's talented dog's) shit. That's legit.

That all said, I've saved more than a few bucks by avoiding mediocre modern toy purchases by reading others' reviews. I think we all have. I hope we all have...'cause there have been some gods awful releases in the past.

I do hope to handle a DX -25 someday, but until that happens, I'm going to go with the general consensus of "mediocre". 'Course, that's easy for me to say because I wouldn't be getting one even if it were solid as a rock.

As for Atom's review, he does like the design. Hell, he was the one who convinced me to watch the show! He was definitely hoping for a solid toy of the -25. Poor bastard...

thomas Wrote:
> What I really don't get is the whine that the
> hands are not articulated. Articulated hands tend
> to suck because they can't hold anything tightly
> (I tend to glue them on my models). Gimme fixed
> pose when possible.

The best, in my opinion, are the permanently-attached fixed pose hands that work fine during transformation. Again...the classic 1/55 VF-1 got it right.

That said, the articulated hands on the Yamato 1/60 2.0 may look spindly and skeletal, but I gotta admit, they're solid, tight, and because of the tiny tab in the palm, they grip the gunpod rigidly. Very satisfying. The TV hands are wack.
I imagine people may start off loading Ozma VF-25s when the Armored set comes out. Right now the DX is the only game in town when it comes to VF-25 toys so people are sticking with it.
I agree that anyone who knows his or her (okay, his) transforming toy history will hold the 1/55 on a well deserved pedistal. It's earned its benchmark status for a reason.
Moreover, even if you don't like its "look" compared to the new "more accurate" stuff, you can't deny the fact that 20 years later, our 1/55s are still functional, while many other people have lots of anime-accurate rubble.
And as much as I love the new RVF-25, it doesn't hold a candle to the playability of the VF-1S Strike Valkyrie. What it does do, however, is top all other releases in terms of sturdiness, playability and wonderful die-cast heft. I can't judge the new 1/60 V2 releases, as I haven't even handled one, and should this rope hold, I never wi...wi... what's that? What's that VF-1D? You... want me to... to buy you? Must... resist... can't...

Ahem. Anyway, my point: We are witnesses to an evolution, propelled by hits and misses based on repeated sales of a product. The fact that Bandai is re-releasing a re-released 20 year old product indicates that a product sell more based on playability over accuracy. I wonder how many 20 year old rereleases of Yamato's stuff there will be?
I doubt the V2 will be able to top the RVF-25 on those merits. But I have an open mind, as such, ride the slippery slope of Yamato bait...
Meh, the first 1/60 VF-1s are still the heaviest Valkyrie toys out there. In fact, the DX VF-25 is a lot like the old 1/60s in terms of execution. They just seem behind the times, especially when compared to Bandai's excellent GFFM line.
A lot like the old 1/60's in terms of execution? Are you retarded, or deluded? The old 1/60 vf-1's took a relatively simple transformation and made it into a parts-removal, pain-in-the-ass-chest-locking mess. Hell, Toynami beat the crap out of that toy with their unfairly maligned MPC vf-1's. By contrast, the new DX vf-25 takes a significantly more complex transformation and does a pretty damn decent job of it. If Yamato had made a vf-25, there would be an epic thread on MW right now about all the goddamn shoulders breaking and hips falling apart. I refer you to already existing toy breakage threads for the Yamato vf-0 and the Yamato sv-51.
The VF-1's legs are supposed to come off.
It's truly amazing how much Macross stuff gets people's pants in a bunch. No wonder they need a whole site for it...

More serious than thou
Just give in to the nerd rage.
Looking at the original drawing for how the VF-1's legs are ACTUALLY suppose to transform, I do think that it would be feasible in todays toy technology. It would have to be big though (at least 1/48), but then again would you really want ANOTHER type of VF-1 toy? I'm so sick of seeing new toys for it. I HATE saying that with all my heart because I love the VF-1 design ever since the days of G1 Jetfire (still cursing myself over the fact that I chose to get a Rock Lord over Jetfire. Although that Rock Lord is still in one piece while I'm sure that if I had Jetfire, it would be all broken by now).

[www.yamato-toys.com]

oh you know you want this shit
No working landing gear? Feh.
So, competition IS good. Losing the Frontier license to Bandai was probably the best thing to have happened to Yamato Toys. Just as the 1/48's renaissance woke Bandai up from their Gundam-induced stupor.
3,000 yen for a 10 cm long, non-transforming display model that doesn't look all that detailed?

Pass.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
thomas Wrote:
> 3,000 yen for a 10 cm long, non-transforming
> display model that doesn't look all that
> detailed?
>
> Pass.

Clearly you aren't part of the Cult of Macross. This vehicle has been a holy grail of the acolytes for decades.

But even from a practical point of view, 3,000 Y for a Yamato toy (or really, anything in this genre) is pretty darned cheap.
[gamu-toys.info]

white and blue
Anonymous User
RainBot Wrote:
>
> But even from a practical point of view, 3,000 Y
> for a Yamato toy (or really, anything in this
> genre) is pretty darned cheap.

I'll wait for the 'weathering type'. Maybe it'll have some detail.
Perhaps you can make it yourself. I read on MW that it might actually be a model kit you have to build yourself.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
everyone is riding invisible bicycles
Attachments:
open | download - macross pilots.jpg (162.2 KB)
Anonymous User
I like the little Yang Numan in his Mac+ bubble helmet suit. He looks like Professor Farnsworth!
Good news everyone! By reading this you now have Professor Farnsworth's voice in your head.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer