Time to Procure a Valkyrie

Posted by MikeD 
MattAlt (Admin)
It's a pretty amazing series of articles. Read more about them here.
B00
Just picked up one of Toynami's new 1/100 super valks (brown 1A). I know that there's a lot of mixed opinions about these thing, but I can't get enough of em. The super armor fits on all the previous 1/100's and I think it makes for a nice display in fighter mode.

I hope so, my old Vf-1S has the same problem. They did make a few changes so that the arms don't pop off at the shoulders.

I love Toynami's 1/100's, their affordable, playable, and come with a ton of stuff.

It goes so nicely with my Konig Monster!

It does look nice with the Konig I just wish they had big round hands like the TV ....Hey does anyone have both the new VF-25 1/100 and a Toynami 1/100 that they can put side by side and take a picture of...I have heard, um..., "mixed," reviews of the VF-25, and wonder how the Bandai 1/100 VF-1 (when they get to it) will differ from the Toynami...
Regardless of the standard bitching at MW, the 1/100 isn't a bad little piece. It's a bit fiddly because of all the parts, but it's incredibly well made and looks killer. It's certainly a higher quality piece than the Toynamis (not a dis, I love Toynami's 1/100 valks) but it is also double to triple the price of those. I got rid of mine already after deciding to stick with the DX line only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2009 10:44AM by eriku.
Great pics! I'm still on the fence about the 25, because I LOVE having stuff in 1/100 scale, but I'm hoping it comes down in price a bit.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
B00
I'll definitely be picking up the 1/100 25s. It would be awesome if Bandai made a Vf-25 in a white and brown color scheme a-la the cannon fodder 1A.

I'd like to get one, but its overpriced for my means, especially with shipping tacked on. :-(
B00
Ok, so I broke down and just got the Toynami 1/100 Focker Strike. God I have a lot of these. The VF-1s is in the TV gray color scheme (my flash washed it out) and looks totally bad ass with strike fast-pack on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2009 05:54PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Toynami_Strike1S.jpg (313.6 KB)
So why is the new Super Ostrich almost $150?
So is it a better that I get the DX Chogokin VF-25 Luca's custom and wait on MPC Grimlock as there probably be other chances for later production runs or a possible U.S. release for Grimmy?

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
B00
Vincent Z.
possible U.S. release for Grimmy?

It typically take Hasbro a while to bring an MP TF to the States. It took almost a year for StarScream. You also run the risk of lower quality, and battle damage.

Anyway, $150 doesn't sound too off-base for the new Super Ostrich...it DOES have all the super armor, afterall...
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then again, the US version of Starscream was
> infinitely better: cartoon accurate colors...and
> the "battle damage" shit stains could be removed
> easily with rubbing alcohol and a tissue.
>
> Anyway, $150 doesn't sound too off-base for the
> new Super Ostrich...it DOES have all the super
> armor, afterall...

But no gunpod or missiles!
I actually didn't have a problem with what was done on MPC Prime (the battle damage wasn't ugly to me no was the shorten stacks). I'm fine waiting a year for Grimmy given the ridiculous number of other high priced mecha toys that are out this year.

Sanjeev (Admin)
delta_7890 Wrote:
> But no gunpod or missiles!

Good eye...just realized that. Same with the Elintseeker, apparently.

Bummer. But that's what imaginations are for... pewwww! pewwww!
B00

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2009 05:37PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Hikaru_sucks.jpg (64.3 KB)
So is the DX RVF-25 worth getting? I read some of the comments on Macrosswrold and they scare me, from scratched paint on the wings to the hip armor not staying on. But, the toy looks SO lovely (that green color) and I'd holding off MPC Grimlock and the MC GFF Zeta Plus if I get this. So I want your best opinions if anyone has this one yet.

Mine is in the mail (stuck at customs, actually).

What I don't like about MW is that the worst comments about the quality control (like the one about the broken leg and the one about the scratches that were all over it) are never accompanied by pictures. So I suspect some comments are from trolls.

Apparently, there's a slight color problem (two shades of green) that is more obvious under artificial light and depending on one's eyesight.

The only issues that kinda worry me is the tampo-printing wearing off too quickly and the crotch-tab not connecting securely...will see when I get mine.
Psst... !

So, er... tailfins getting 'burned' by the super pack? Color mismatching? Armor obstructed knee joint? Leprosy-infected hip armors?

Check. Check. Check. Check.

SO WHAT?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2009 01:17PM by drifand.
Nice pics drifand as usual.

Damn you, Drifand. Damn you to hellllllllllllllll!
I was definitely going to get the RVF-25, but now that I see the rest of them...
Arrrrrgh!
The Ozma custom is quite beautiful....
You didn't... touch these up did you? I've seen them around town, but felt that they looked too "plasticky" - of course, this was while they were still in the package, which is not a fair assessment...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2009 08:35PM by RainBot.
Yo. The only DX I modified was my disastrous knee surgery for Alto. It 'allowed' me to display it in Gerwalk mode with better angles in the legs but seriously weakened the leg structure... Definitely NOT recommended procedure.

Other than that, they're all kosher. Not even panel lining.

Needless to say, despite all the deficiencies I'm enjoying these toys almost carefree compared to you-know-what. Only real caveat (to me): sharp pointy parts can easily scratch the tampo markings if you're not careful.

this one has a frisbee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2009 11:22AM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - ve-1a.JPG (106 KB)
open | download - ve-1b.JPG (70.1 KB)
open | download - ve-1c.JPG (81 KB)
Damn...just....Damn....That looks so nice...Okay that's it...Im buying this....is it possible that this is the best version of the Super O yet...? Sure looks like it...I mean it blows away the last version...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, I'd say it's definitely not the best version of the Super O yet...mainly because it's the Elintseeker, not the Super O. :P

But I agree, that thing's half a loaf of bad-fucking-ass. As Andrew's friends would say, that shit is butters, yo.

I'd still ideally love the original 1/55 VE, but it's so rare and prohibitively expensive, it would pretty much negate the toy's superior playability.

REISSUE IT, BANDAI...OR I WILL EAT YOUR BABIES!!
Sanjeev Wrote:
> But I agree, that thing's half a loaf of
> bad-fucking-ass. As Andrew's friends would say,
> that shit is butters, yo.
>

why are you suck a lying jerk, Sanjeev?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hey, I'm your friend, aren't I?

I think that shit is fucking butters, yo.

Besides, I am the King of the Jerks, remember?
You're more of an archduke really.
drifand Wrote:
> Needless to say, despite all the deficiencies I'm
> enjoying these toys almost carefree compared to
> you-know-what. Only real caveat (to me): sharp
> pointy parts can easily scratch the tampo markings
> if you're not careful.

Holy-kick-me-in-the-pants crap.
Strolled by Toy Square today to pick up my Iron Man Mk.II and saw the RVF 25. I didn't ask the price... I just subdued my inner hobo.
I could have picked up one of the 1/60 Yamatos I've been eying for a while, but like so many of us who succumb to their famous, tried and true bait n' switch, I had temptation to deal with - positive reviews peppered with passing references to product instability, and beautiful beautiful pictures. It's nothing but bait, man. Bait and more bait.
To solidify this concept in my mind, I performed a mental exercise before I left - I examined my most recent Yamato purchase, the YF-21. All I had to do was pick it up, and its beauty dissipated in a floppy paroxysm.
As I entered Toy Square, I forced myself from the siren's song of the Yamato display and, Ulysses-like, tied myself to the mast of reason and historical evidence. The Valkyrie and Bandai combo will always have a place in my heart because of my first experience with a great Japanese toy - the 1/55 Strike Valkyrie. And today, I had a history lesson.
Box art aside (Yamato has no competition from Bandai in the outer packaging department), I had the most satisfying experience opening a Macross related product in 25 years.
The toy is encased in environmentally-evil but nostalgia-inducing styrofoam.
Once liberated, the toy is beautiful.
Once hefted, the toy is an honest to gods brick.
All my Yamatos went floppy soon out of the box. This thing is sleek, solid and just simply cool.
Yeah, that Elintseeker looks amazing, but it's bait. If you're on a budget like I am and ya have to choose between a Yamato and a Bandai, master your fate - don't give in to the temptation of Yamato...the master of bait.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2009 10:34PM by RainBot.
I got baited on two Yamatos, but I have to say I've got no floppy. It's all good, nice solid joints. Must have gotten lucky, because my VF-1J has been transformed 10-15 times already with no breakage, no floppiness, and no problems.

More serious than thou
Stay back, vile tempress!
Yeah, I've heard some good things from folks who swore to never get more 1/60s again. But man... I am so impressed with this thing it makes me realize that chumps like me kept Yamato afloat in a sea of mediocrity for ten years.
I see the VF-25 toy has having just as many dumb flaws. It's really a disappointment.
Seriously?
Wow.
I'll fiddle with mine on the weekend. Maybe more practical experience will balance out the gush...
Which VF do you have?
RainBot Wrote:

> Holy-kick-me-in-the-pants crap.
> Strolled by Toy Square today to pick up my Iron
> Man Mk.II and saw the RVF 25. I didn't ask the
> price... I just subdued my inner hobo.
> I could have picked up one of the 1/60 Yamatos
> I've been eying for a while, but like so many of
> us who succumb to their famous, tried and true
> bait n' switch, I had temptation to deal with -
> positive reviews peppered with passing references
> to product instability, and beautiful beautiful
> pictures. It's nothing but bait, man. Bait and
> more bait.
> To solidify this concept in my mind, I performed a
> mental exercise before I left - I examined my most
> recent Yamato purchase, the YF-21. All I had to do
> was pick it up, and its beauty dissipated in a
> floppy paroxysm.
> As I entered Toy Square, I forced myself from the
> siren's song of the Yamato display and,
> Ulysses-like, tied myself to the mast of reason
> and historical evidence. The Valkyrie and Bandai
> combo will always have a place in my heart because
> of my first experience with a great Japanese toy -
> the 1/55 Strike Valkyrie. And today, I had a
> history lesson.
> Box art aside (Yamato has no competition from
> Bandai in the outer packaging department), I had
> the most satisfying experience opening a Macross
> related product in 25 years.
> The toy is encased in environmentally-evil but
> nostalgia-inducing styrofoam.
> Once liberated, the toy is beautiful.
> Once hefted, the toy is an honest to gods brick.
> All my Yamatos went floppy soon out of the box.
> This thing is sleek, solid and just simply cool.
> Yeah, that Elintseeker looks amazing, but it's
> bait. If you're on a budget like I am and ya have
> to choose between a Yamato and a Bandai, master
> your fate - don't give in to the temptation of
> Yamato...the master of bait.

Awesome. I think this is your best post since that Mexican Dom used a Gundam v-fin as a mustache.
RainBot Wrote:
> Seriously?
> Wow.
> I'll fiddle with mine on the weekend. Maybe more
> practical experience will balance out the gush...
> Which VF do you have?

The VF-25S, which is apparently the worst one. The way they made the neck was pretty stupid (and they're correcting it for the Armored Version which is totally a Yamato thing right?). The bendy head lasers are awful. Also the groin connection is really loose on mine. It's difficult to pose without it popping out. Also some of the weird design choices like the lack of hardpoints, tiny landing gear (which messes up the sniper rifle mount for the VF-25G), and the inability to store the knife in the shield just make me wonder. I mean, when I look at my GFFM Zeta Plus I see a really well crafted product and yet the same kind of care didn't go into the VF-25 toy. Looking at the hype generated from the prospect of Bandai making a new Valkyrie toy I guess I expected something truly great, while the VF-25S to me feels more like its just "good enough." I just don't see how this toy was supposed to give Yamato a bloody nose people were expecting. The VF100 VF-25 also seems kind of half-assed. At least when comparing what I've been hearing from reviews to what I've seen out of my similarly sized HCM Pro toys.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer