Gunpla News

Posted by Runaphen 
holy f-ing monkey balls the way they built the whip is the most fantasmicle amazing thing I have ever seen in a gunpla...though I can see putting it together (and not having it get all floppy and falling apart after repeated usage) being a bit of a king bitch...unless they find a way to system inject the thing as 1 piece like the pistons on the PG's...
look at all this progress

also why do they always seem to skip over the original HG Gundam? How can the FG get a picture but not the SYSTEM INJECTION awesomeness?
Attachments:
open | download - gunpla1.jpg (298.3 KB)
open | download - gunpla2.jpg (288.5 KB)
Cool article. Did that appear in the Newtype USA also?

What's my bill for a mint-in-box of one of those vintage 1980 1/60 big kits? Where, where?
Anonymous User
the 1/60 was reissued in 1994. SRP was 2000 yen. You can probably still find it on YJA
Thanks! I wasn't much after Gundam in '94, and would have passed right by that then. Any sample of a milestone in a series, whether original, or reissue, I appreciate having now.
REMEMBER ME!

that first image is soooo not a stock kit. It's like some prototype that looked more badass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2009 11:50PM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - hggundam1.jpg (66.4 KB)
open | download - hggundam2.jpg (112 KB)
I have (and built) the original 1/60 scale one. Unfortunately, I did it when I was in the 7th grade, so it's pretty crappy.
The original System Injection HG kits were my first 'almost-toy' gunpla experience. And of course, my first time seeing Katoki's awesome black and white renderings in the booklet. I still have them :-)
Rumor says, "MG Guntank in June."
Guntank prison break in the news this morning?
It’s the Muppet Show! with our very special guest HGUC Jegan! Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Some pics of cool model type news stuff at Ngee Khiong:: [ngeekhiong.blogspot.com]

Check out a few posts down, a model of new Mazinger with God Scrander to turn into giant fist of mega punching. (awesome.)

Edit: Here's a better pic of Maz with God Scranda from Cybergundam--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2009 11:53PM by Runaphen.
Attachments:
open | download - 1242258461.jpg (34.8 KB)
open | download - ap_200905141018463h.jpg (53.2 KB)
Is that a new mold Mazinger to go with the scrander?
If not all new then it certainly has to be mostly new. No idea if that means genuine design improvements though.

Great collection of hobby show links and pics here: [superrobotwar.wordpress.com]

I just noticed that the proportions and details of the MG Guntank all look rather different than before. Less like the classic anime look. Less awesome. :( Might not be RC anymore either. Oh Feh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 11:21AM by Runaphen.
B00
1/72 VF-27! Awesome news.

> If not all new then it certainly has to be mostly
> new. No idea if that means genuine design
> improvements though.
>
>
> Great collection of hobby show links and pics
> here:
> [superrobotwar.wordpress.com]
> -shizuoka-hobby-show-2009-photo-reports/
>
>
> I just noticed that the proportions and details of
> the MG Guntank all look rather different than
> before. Less like the classic anime look. Less
> awesome. :( Might not be RC anymore either. Oh
> Feh!

I don't remember the MG Guntank being RC, that was a different 1/144 toy that did get made. The MG was going to have lights, sound and a recoil function for the guns. At this point if it did nothing but sit there like a model is supposed to I'd be happy, it would be cheaper too.

It's nice to see the return of HGUC, while I've all but given up on gunpla due to how poorly they age, I do like to see some ZZ and MSG stuff after all the new crap. Unicorn has some really nice designs, I'm glad to see them see plastic.

That Q-rau might be the only Macross F product I buy, too bad it didn't get the toy treatment. My 1/60 Yamato one is still a decent piece, and now it's scale with everything!

That Alto suit looks alright, but I've got a nice collection of Amdriver that looks just like it and has a shitload of accessories.
Chirico Cuvie Wrote:

> I don't remember the MG Guntank being RC, that was
> a different 1/144 toy that did get made. The MG
> was going to have lights, sound and a recoil
> function for the guns. At this point if it did
> nothing but sit there like a model is supposed to
> I'd be happy, it would be cheaper too.

Damn, yo. How could you forget something as awesome as that RC MG Guntank.
Here, watch this vid: [www.youtube.com] ( The arms move! )

Here are some more pics of it, also from last year's Shizuoka Hobby show: [ga.sbcr.jp]

And more...

2008 version:

2009 version:

Sigh. I find the new sculpt really disappointing.
Attachments:
open | download - 000srwhotnews_48th_mggt2.jpg (59.4 KB)
open | download - 000038.jpg (132 KB)
open | download - 000147.jpg (301.4 KB)
open | download - 0001210834408.jpg (72.3 KB)
That Mazinger looks great. Its nice to see that it can transform into the rocket-punch form.

One question: why is the O Gundam getting a bunch of shit released of it all of a sudden? Except for that one First Grade kit,there wasn't a single bit of merchandise of it for nearly two years, and now its getting a Robot Damashii figure, a High Grade, and even a BB Senshi all in the same year.
Because painting it in the sacred red, yellow, and blue colors made it all that more desirable to the UC fans.
I never saw any of that about the "old" Guntank. Last I saw it had electronics that simulated the guns and that was it. That looks like something out of the Glorious Grade line, with the price to go with it.

I'd prefer a MG kit similar to the Acguy with fancy action parts at $50. I just want a MG Guntank and be done with Gunpla, it's the last thing I want outside of my crazy dream of a MG Hygogg or Capule.
christ. has Bandai totally given up on hiding sprue scars? Gundam/Zaku 2.0 and Turn-A were pretty much perfect, and Gouf looks like total shit.- I mean, it's expected a little on the cabling, but even the arms are covered with artifacts of lazy-assed molding. Oh well. Maybe it's not worth it since they can't recolor Gouf to hell and back.
Gasp! Sprue scars!!! And on a MODEL!!! My goodness, it's RUINED!
Maybe the sprue scars are not because of the model, but the modeler?
Gouf vs Gundam gallery. [solarisgundam.web.fc2.com]
[dalong.net]

This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku.
Nice gallery of the HGUC Hi-Nu.

[blog.livedoor.jp]
it seems to be coming after all...

* HGUC FA Gundam 7th Unit - September release, 1,575 Yen (inclusive of tax).

* HG 1/144 Seravee Gundam GNHW/B - September release, 1,890 Yen (inclusive of tax).

* MG Guntank - September release, 4,725 Yen (inclusive of tax).
Attachments:
open | download - mgguntank.jpg (119.2 KB)
More MG Guntank.

Looking... ...really awesome, actually. My previous disappointment and gnashing of teeth over this new sculpt has evaporated into the ether.
Attachments:
open | download - 3748509032_b3a6868e88_o.jpg (474.7 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
With all that "play" functionality packed into MG models these days, why don't they just fucking make toys like this?

I mean, it's fully modular with the Core Block System so it can recombine with the Gundam and Guncannon...so why not make toys that can do this too, Bandai???
Models are a lot cheaper to design and produce.
oh god ribbons gundam you are so crazy

and just to add to my earlier point, consider that the GFF Metal Composite Zeta Plus I reviewed cost about six times that of the MG kit should tell you what one MG quality toy is worth.
Attachments:
open | download - hg00gundamstuff.jpg (232.2 KB)
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With all that "play" functionality packed into MG
> models these days, why don't they just fucking
> make toys like this?
>
> I mean, it's fully modular with the Core Block
> System so it can recombine with the Gundam and
> Guncannon...so why not make toys that can do this
> too, Bandai???

If you can make giant full color model kits that you can still play with for cheap, why make toys? :p

Good solid MG kits are more like toys than models anyways and how many expensive "toys" are fragile pieces of crap.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Good point, Andrew, but I wonder how feasible/marketable it would be to make 1/100 figures that were hard plastic (no diecast, but minimal PVC, too).

GFF Metal Composite Zeta = 6 x (MG Zeta)? Well, how about no metal?

I dunno.

I'd just love to see some One Year War mecha, like the Guntank, come out as larger, functional toys that can take more abuse than a built-up MG kit.
Well I don't know how much metal the GFFM Katoki Gundam had, but it was still close to 90 dollars at retail minus the G-Fighter. HCM Pros were kinda doing playable model quality at a smaller scale. Then again I don't think Bandai likes to have too many products in the scale. Which is probably why the HCM Pros were 1/200 rather than 1/144.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I mean, it's fully modular with the Core Block
> System so it can recombine with the Gundam and
> Guncannon...so why not make toys that can do this
> too, Bandai???

I wish I had my photos handy of the SD figures (from the SD Gundam Force toy line, though not the show) that did all that.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
I was recently told by a toy maker with a shaved head that model kits actually aren't that much cheaper to produce, that while you save costs on things like labor to assemble and paint a given item, more resources go into engineering the thing so that the tooling turns out right.

YMMV.
The Arch Enemies line right before Gundam died in the West. The were essentially 1/100 toys that were painted and made mostly of hard PVC.

They only made 6 that I know of, the Wing Zero Custom and Tallgeese III for the first batch, and the RX-78 Gundam and Char's Gelgoog for the 2nd set. They did an Aile Strike and Launcher later on as well. They had extra hands and weapons, the Gundam had a removable core fighter and all the extra weapons, even a hammer with metal chain.

I was surprised that Bandai took that long to try that idea, since they were essentially a pre-built, pre-painted model kit in the MG scale. They were $20-$30 too, which was cheaper than the insane price the MG kits at TRU were.

I loved the Glorious Series Dom and Gouf because they were just frames underneath the armor, screwed together and made of tough plastic, far more robust than any MG or PG kit. Those are basically toys you assemble, with the huge pain in the ass of wiring being the only model kit part of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2009 06:16PM by Chirico Cuvie.
Sanjeev (Admin)
The Arch Enemies were hard PVC? Yuck.

I'm with Paul on the SD Gundam toys: I picked up the GP02A (obviously not from the show) and it's a great toy. Hard, thick plastic. Solid joint design. All the details/accessories worked (stow-n-go nuclear bazooka).

That's what I'm looking for...just not SD and at least 1/144. Didn't they make an HCM Pro that was 1/144 or 1/100? Was that just a flash in the pan?
I know some parts were PVC, it's been a while since I handled them.
The AE Rx-78 2 was one of the best Gundam toys ever. Very little PVC on that.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer