Shin SOC News Thread (untouched by the unwashed)

Posted by hillsy 
>Cool, yup I need to get hold of the torrent one of these days...

Of Dragonar? I watched a HK bootleg rip of that. Was very standard Sunrise. Not as entertaining as L-Gaim or Zeta Gundam.

But I love the Dragonar SOC SPEC. Glad to own both versions and Falguen. They did a fantastic job.

Someone PLEASE give their two cents on Tekkaman Blade & Pegas if they have it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 08:03PM by Vincent Z..
Any rhyme or reason as to what toynami is bringing over from Bandai Tamashii?

I know that they've already solicited, via Diamond Previews:
SOC Shin Mazinger Z (the non transforming one, though they did solicit a model kit of Mazinger Z that turns into a rocket punch)
SOC Energer Z (the new one)
SOC Spec Tekkaman Blade and Pegas
SDX Commando Gundam
SDX Satan Gundam
Myth cloth Pegasus Tenma
a whole mess of Robot Spirits

I guess they can't get Big O because of Big O tires, but otherwise, are we going to see most of the rest of the SOCs and Myth cloth lines?
Is Diamond the only way to get this stuff through Toynami? How the hell is that any different from how they used to do it?
Marasai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is Diamond the only way to get this stuff through
> Toynami? How the hell is that any different from
> how they used to do it?

How it's different is that now there's another layer of middleman between Bandai and the customer, thus making it more like how it is in Japan, which no doubt increases their comfort level as they no longer have to deal with the messy issues of producing solicitations and such. Also I was under the impression that Toynami was going to 'Americanize' the releases with English boxes and instructions, but I think that got pared down to a Toynami/Tamashii sticker over the Bandai logos. maybe. I dunno. I've not seen any product actually shipped or in hand, after, what, about a year or so?
VF5SS Wrote:
> MattAlt Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Damned if they release a full-fledged set
> ("What
> > were they thinking!? It's too expensive!"),
> damned
> > if they release it in parts ("what were they
> > thinking!? they should have released a complete
> > set!") What's a toy company to do?
>
>
> Release the full set and start acting like they
> used to.

This.

I'm sorry Matt but i really don't see how it's a dammed if they do situation at all. Yes only one season of Big O aired in Japan and it wasn't a hit but it stands to reason that anyone buying this toy will be a fan of the show/bot, will have seen all of it by fair means or foul and will want all the Big O's special toys.

Like I said, the Gunbuster was amazing, that's what I was hoping for.

It just doesn't make any sense to me other then gouging for more money and the car is the real kicker here. They've engineered the toy with the foot garage and we could all see it there in the pictures but they've been pretending like it didn't exist untill, ta-da, this is what it's for, you can put this car in there!

I do still want this but I can't buy one and not the other and that means spending a small fortune to get the parts, which I don't want to support...

Oh I tried my luck and e-mailed Toynami, they sent back a cut and paste press release about their deal with Bandai blah, blah and then said pretty outright that they won't be selling Big O because of this tire company.

I thought trademarks weren't an issue if the products were nothing alike?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2009 05:30AM by Fort Max.
Marasai Wrote:
> Is Diamond the only way to get this stuff through
> Toynami? How the hell is that any different from
> how they used to do it?

It isn't any different except that there is another middleman. Bandai probably thought that Toynami would be their inroads into the collectible market here in the states, and to a certain extent that is true. However, any company that thinks it can get its products into comic and specialty collectible retailers here in the U.S. and not go through the Diamond monopoly is seriously mistaken.
Two seasons of Big O were aired in Japan. The second season was not received well with the ending being somewhat puzzling.
I don't think the first season of Big O was received all that well in Japan either... unless it was all just rumor and speculation when they said that season 2 was made largely because of the popularity in the US.

Seems odd that they want to introduce ANOTHER middleman to help them feel more comfortable. I can't find Toynami toys at "normal" toy outlets anyway, all the ones I have are ordered via Previews or online. I didn't even realize Toynami had teamed with Bandai until I saw posts here and looked it up, the solicitations in Previews are still in the import section, away from the domestic Toynami stuff.

What did Bandai America due to tick off their Japanese parent company anyway? The American branch is busy making their own crappy, plastic versions of Power Ranger and Kamen Rider toys. I understand the market is different and that's the reason they're cheaping out to keep their toys affordable to kids, but Bandai America also solicits through Previews, why not just go through them?
It's not a rumor. Cartoon Network's overlords co-financed season 2 of Big O.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Pssst...head over to Toy Wave, they got some interesting items on pre order.
Not for a halfway decent price though. :| It's the same you'd pay if you went through a middleman.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, seems that's the going rate. CDX reported that Anime Export will have it for that price.

Good luck tracking this shit down, guys. I, on the other hand, will continue to enjoy the Bandai-hate in this thread.
I suppose to be fair to Bandai, the early SOCs didn't come everything used in the shows either. I mean if I got to encirobot.com and look at all the junk Combattler summons from his wrist sockets I know very little of that came with the first SOC toy. Then again it might some of that "ignorance is bliss" mentality since we'd be miffed if they didn't include certain things but know those accessories are being made in a market where we can't participate (easily) is just salt on the wound.
Well, yeah, and this Big O doesn't come with everything used in the show even WITH the accessory set. The other stuff - the second method of opening up the arms (to generate a plasma shield) and the whole torso opening up into a cannon - would just be ridiculous. THAT would justify a separate release, for sure. (PREDICATION: Studio Half Eye will make a Big O that has a bazillion opening parts everywhere)

To me, the really annoying thing isn't the O Thunder in the accessory set - it's the HANDS and the CAR. I can't think of any good reason for them to bump those from the primary package and exile them to the accessory set - the only reason I can think of is to make people feel like their regular SOC is "incomplete", to urge them to buy the accessory set.

But y'know, it's also a bit of a disappointment that they couldn't engineer the O Thunder gatling cannon gimmick AND the Sudden Impact spring loaded piston punch gimmick into one set of arms.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Attachments:
open | download - 0e27.jpg (145.1 KB)
Yay for Daitarn!

Also whats the deal with the 'new' Combattler.. I haven't heard any news on it.. To me it looks IDENTICAL to the old one.. or is that why I haven't heard anything, because it is IDENTICAL to the old one and no one really cares.
Well Bandai can't suddenly make Com-Battler pink and green if that's what you mean. It's a brand new design of the same character they can't change the look but they did vastly improve it's articulation and the proportions are "beefier", just that one static pose has more articulation than GX-03 ever did.
MattAlt (Admin)
The differences are subtle, so it's hard to tell from memory just how different this new Com-V looks than the previous version, but side by side the overall improvements are more obvious. The old one (left) is really spindly. The new one (right) has enhanced posability and stockier proportions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2009 09:01PM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - old_new_combattler.jpg (220.2 KB)
Ahh okay.. Yeah I think Chen's 'beefier' description fits it quite nicely. My Com-V is satisfactory enough tho. I'll put the money towards Daitarn instead.
chen Wrote:
> Well Bandai can't suddenly make Com-Battler pink
> and green if that's what you mean.

WHY THE HELL NOT

-Paul Segal

Interesting.. They have done Black & Gold variants on some and the GX-24 Tetsujin has had 3 variants of himself as has Gold Lightan..

But personally I really don't want Bandai to take a page out of Yamato's book and see the SOC line to be come riddled with colour variants.

But I think having these few rare occasions (as mentioned above), reissues and upgrades like this Com-V is enough for my bank balance.
chen Wrote:
> Well Bandai can't suddenly make Com-Battler pink
> and green if that's what you mean.

Then how about real type colors with Katoki-esqe markings?

Did anyone get the Tekkaman Blade SOC SPEC yet? TMB is one of my favorite designs from the 90's but the price for what you get is kinda hard for me to accept. Maybe I'll wait to see for that one they're doing with the removable armor (same line as Samurai Troopers Ryo).

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Vincent Z. Wrote:
>
> Then how about real type colors with Katoki-esqe
> markings?

Aw, man, you HAD to bring Gundam into it? You couldn't at least reference the realtype Sasuraiger or realtype Microman robots?

-Paul Segal

I want that Tekkaman Blade SOC SPEC so bad! But I can't currently personally justify it’s price. I hope Bandai releases a version of it without Pegas in the future.
asterphage Wrote:
> Vincent Z. Wrote:
> >
> > Then how about real type colors with
> Katoki-esqe
> > markings?
>
> Aw, man, you HAD to bring Gundam into it? You
> couldn't at least reference the realtype
> Sasuraiger or realtype Microman robots?

What's wrong with Gundam?
MattAlt (Admin)
>>What's wrong with Gundam?

He owes me five dollars. And he also made a pass at my wife.
chunkypuff31 Wrote:
>
> What's wrong with Gundam?

As an example of something that Combattler should be painted to resemble?

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
> chunkypuff31 Wrote:
> >
> > What's wrong with Gundam?
>
> As an example of something that Combattler should
> be painted to resemble?

You have to admit: it would be a (relatively) simple color swap.
>He owes me five dollars. And he also made a pass at my wife.

Haven't we all?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I think we can all agree Gundam has swindled us out of money at one time or another...never hit on my wife though, she hates him.
Clickable Big O pics. [gigazine.net]
Anonymous User
hawt
MattAlt (Admin)
It shoots strawberry frosting out of its arm-cannons!? I'm SOLD!
Yessiree, and the forearm shields store the pocky sticks too!

Gorgeous toy.
dude hotness.....
And it sweats real Pocari....

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Just got a cancellation notice on:
Robot Tamashii Nirvash type zero
Robot Spirits Cross Bone Gundam X-1
SDX Satan Gundam
SOC Daizengar and Aussenseiter
SOC GX-45 Mazinger Z

from the place where I preorder via Previews. So do Toynami and Bandai just not have their act together, or is it Previews allocation striking again?

fujishig Wrote:
> Any rhyme or reason as to what toynami is bringing
> over from Bandai Tamashii?
>
> I know that they've already solicited, via Diamond
> Previews:
> SOC Shin Mazinger Z (the non transforming one,
> though they did solicit a model kit of Mazinger Z
> that turns into a rocket punch)
> SOC Energer Z (the new one)
> SOC Spec Tekkaman Blade and Pegas
> SDX Commando Gundam
> SDX Satan Gundam
> Myth cloth Pegasus Tenma
> a whole mess of Robot Spirits
>
> I guess they can't get Big O because of Big O
> tires, but otherwise, are we going to see most of
> the rest of the SOCs and Myth cloth lines?
fujishig Wrote:
> Just got a cancellation notice from the place
> where I preorder via Previews. So do Toynami and
> Bandai just not have their act together, or is
> it Previews allocation striking again?

Just stay out of that love triangle and buy direct from Japan. Your street cred will go up each time the post man delivers one of those plain brown boxes to your front door.
Everytime I see pictures of that Big-O I'm more and more impressed by it.
MattAlt Wrote:
> It shoots strawberry frosting out of its
> arm-cannons!? I'm SOLD!

Only if you buy the separate accessory set. I'm still pissed about this.

-Paul Segal

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer