Shin SOC News Thread (untouched by the unwashed)

Posted by hillsy 
delta_7890 Wrote:
> Prometheum5 Wrote:
> > I wanted to get Shin Maz from my local
> > comic shop, but they looked in the Diamond
> > ordering thing and couldn't find anything.
>
> Isn't this deal through Toynami, not Diamond?
> I've heard of something called Previews as being
> something used to order the figures through, if
> that means anything to your local shop guys.

Previews is the Diamond Comic Distributors catalog.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2009 03:59PM by asterphage.
Several good clickable SOC/Brave Gokin pics: [hk.myblog.yahoo.com]

They show off Big-O metal content & features, GX-49 metal content and transformation, bigger pics of CM's Brave Gokin Gordian....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 10:34AM by Runaphen.
Attachments:
open | download - 20090725013702715.jpg (340.1 KB)
open | download - 20090725013651536.jpg (262.3 KB)
open | download - 20090725013823583.jpg (286.4 KB)
open | download - 20090725014221399.jpg (291.9 KB)
Uuuuuuunf. Big-O is looking so good. But what's with the blurb on the O-Thunder parts? I fear they're not gonna be part of the regular release..
Anonymous User
Hmm, so it looks like it is including at least one season 2 gimmick.
delta_7890 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Uuuuuuunf. Big-O is looking so good. But what's
> with the blurb on the O-Thunder parts? I fear
> they're not gonna be part of the regular release..

I here ya delta. It says something about "Collectors" and "Parts Set". In a previous scan, they also mentioned "special set" and "tamashii web". I'm praying the O-thunder parts aren't a web exclusive.

Looks awesome though, they seem to be planning special fx parts!
RedAleseides Wrote:
> delta_7890 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Uuuuuuunf. Big-O is looking so good. But
> what's
> > with the blurb on the O-Thunder parts? I fear
> > they're not gonna be part of the regular
> release..
>
>
> I here ya delta. It says something about
> "Collectors" and "Parts Set". In a previous scan,
> they also mentioned "special set" and "tamashii
> web". I'm praying the O-thunder parts aren't a web
> exclusive.
>
> Looks awesome though, they seem to be planning
> special fx parts!

Reading the scan, there's definitely a mention of "Tamashii Web." I fear the O Thunder parts may indeed be a webshop exclusive, not that it'll stop me from getting it of course. (Hell, I'll probably order two!) The wonder that is a proxy service will certainly make it at least somewhat reasonable to obtain.

Actually, it might not be such a crazy idea to consider a group buy sort of thing, if a bunch of folk here are gonna be getting the Big-O and are interested in the extra parts. I dunno.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 01:18AM by delta_7890.
I'd be interested in something like that, if it came to the web exclusive scenario. I still wonder what the gift is mentioned on the Angolz pre-order? The price isn't any higher than HLJ, so I kind of doubt its the o-thunder parts. (more like gloves, like someone said earlier)
"Actually, it might not be such a crazy idea to consider a group buy sort of thing, if a bunch of folk here are gonna be getting the Big-O and are interested in the extra parts. I dunno."

I will be, the thunder O parts look great.
hmmm... so basically the Big O will have a mostly gokin body, upper arms, upper legs and bottoms of the feet eh? not too bad, I can understand why the forearms are left as light weight plastic, but I am wondering why bandai didn't just go ahead and make the entire legs metal....whateva I'll still get one :-p
[hima-toy.cocolog-nifty.com]

Shoulda called this set Pegas with Tekkaman. Pegas is a big lump of love. RA-SAA!
So Pegas has yellow eyes now? I hope so. Even though this Soul Spec is more expensive than Big-O, I still want it.

But Big O takes priority, of course.

Pegas's eyes have always been kind of yellow orange.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2009 09:00PM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - pegadanny.jpg (58.4 KB)
I don't give a fudge about Pegas, Tekkkaman Blade is what I want.

Is he only being sold with Pegas or will Tekkaman get a separate release?
Pegas Spec glamour shots: [www.toysdaily.com]

I don't give a fudge about Pegas, ...

Heretic.

...Tekkkaman Blade is what I want.

Is he only being sold with Pegas or will Tekkaman get a separate release?

Don't mess with the SOC Spec then. Just wait for the Armor Plus version. [www.toy-world.com.hk]
[robogeki.sakura.ne.jp]

Another set of Tekkaman Blade and Pegas pictures.
Any word on the diecast content for the Tekkaman Blade & Pegas set?

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
[gamu-toys.info]

Blade is Robot Tamashii sized.
VF5SS Wrote:
> Pegas's eyes have always been kind of yellow
> orange.

Thanks VF, but I was just happy because all previous preview photos showed pegas with green eyes, not the color reflected in the anime.

I wonder how the Spec Tekkaman Blade fares compared to the Robot Damashii? Articulation looks good, but I wonder what type of material the fists and mid-transformation head are composed of? PVC? ABS? Diecast?
I got SOC SPEC Eva 01 (the XS-01R) this week. I love these. I already have 00 Kai so I knew what to expect. The leg joints seem looser on the 01. Also with the feet coverings, they pop off too easily on the 01. They seemed to fixed this on the 00 Kai. Now I feel like I should get the 02 even though that's my least favorite of the Eva designs.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Anonymous User
Lots of accessories, webshop exclusive.... I wish bandai would stop doing this shit.

[www.toysdaily.com]
Even the Griffon and the anchor chains are exclusives? What the fuck, Bandai?

Damn. Seriously. What the fuck?
If the base Big O is going to be stripped of every possible accessory to be hawked out as exclusives, then I'm out. No matter how much I love the robot, I wont support any sort of trend towards downsizing SOC accessories while upping prices.
I feel fucking ripped off. $150 for Big-O and what do we get? Practically nothing. The crazy goodies are saved for the webshop set, which will probably cost more than I'd like it to anyhow, plus the cost of using a proxy service to get it in the first place. Fuck you Bandai.

EDIT: MOTHERFUCKERS! Just saw the price tag on the webshop set. 6,300 yen! BEFORE middleman costs and shipping to the middleman and bank fees and GRAH.

Screw that. I'll be content with my "normal" Big-O. Thanks Bandai. Thanks a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2009 11:31PM by delta_7890.
Anonymous User
Honestly, aside from the O Thunder arm parts, I don't really need any of that other stuff. Extra heads with minor differences? Chains that just hang there? Eh.

A lot of these seem like the "gets put into a box and stored" type of accessories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 03:07AM by akum6n.
Hrmm this is a bit annoying.. These things should be included in the initial release.. however it wouldn't be exclusive if you could get the same stuff in the regular set.

Also USD$150 is $22 more than what Angolz are selling it for...

But shouldn't we all know by now, that this is what Bandai does? It is disappointing, but I think I'll be content with my regular set.

In other news I got myself the Great Impact Model Gurren Lagann today in the mail.. HE'S AWESOME. So many little joints everywhere and the drills.. OH THE DRILLS! I like how the wings fold up, the slim size and execution of the box, the 1:1 scale key which is super heavy, the massive display base.. I could go on. He's a decent size too, about Reideen size. My only gripes about it is that there isn't an optional face/head and the roof/lid on the house falls off to easy.
I picked him up new for Y21800 from Anime Exports sale..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 03:31AM by eitlobsaboo.
Motherfuckers...

I thought the Big O seemed relatively cheap and light on accessories for an SOC, now I know why.
This is disgusting frankly, I don't actually know whether I'm even going to buy the figure now, I am so pissed.

I hate to be melodramtic but seeing this makes me think that the Bandai that made the amazing rammed full Gunbuster and Ideon sets to name but two is dead now.

Yes, I know that the financial world's gone to shit and every company is fighting to stay alive, but there's no excuse for at least not offering a combined set for regular sale and I hope they do.
Except I fear that this isn't the extent of their plans, there's still no final stage, another set yet to come for another 6k yen?

Maybe Toynami will sell a package deal, being in the UK I'll still pay through the nose for it but it's better then not having it.

Edit: It's just occured to me what this really puts me in mind of, namely a car company selling you a bare bones vehicle with a massive options list.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 04:13AM by Fort Max.
MattAlt (Admin)
Damned if they release a full-fledged set ("What were they thinking!? It's too expensive!"), damned if they release it in parts ("what were they thinking!? they should have released a complete set!") What's a toy company to do?
It's a "Damned if they do, Damned if they don't" situation...

As long as Big O comes with it's standard load out, I'm happy.

But, I'd rather buy it all in one purchase & have ALL it's parts[even parts I don't want] then buying just Big 0 while lacking certain parts I DO want.

Heck, I'd give away the parts I don't want if it is only released with alot of parts I'd rather not have.

I hope they also release, be it separately or in a set, Roger Smith's car. I'm no car buff but there are certain cars I DO like.
Big-O is dead. Long live Big-O.
I'd say the problem here isn't so much that they're releasing the extra parts as an add-on, but rather that they're Tamashii Web exclusives. I really hate Tamashii exclsuives because we can't get any of them unless we work through a third party and that means shelling out the ass for both the item and the fees that are included with it. Why hasn't Bandai added that part to their English Tamashii page?

Oh, and since I don't want to start a thread about it, I'll ask here. How the hell are we supposed to get this stuff through Toynami? Toynami's site doesn't have any of it and I have yet to see any import shops selling this stuff.
MattAlt Wrote:
> Damned if they release a full-fledged set ("What
> were they thinking!? It's too expensive!"), damned
> if they release it in parts ("what were they
> thinking!? they should have released a complete
> set!") What's a toy company to do?

An expensive toy? ...Egads, you're right. Who among us would cotton to that?

Helldammit man, they should at least include the car with the robot so that I can put-put-put-vroom the Griffon in and out of the foot garage what the robot has in its foot! Put-put-put-vroom dammit!
Matt, you filthy Bandai apologist!!

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Late to the game... SPEC Falguen was on sale and I snapped it up for about 48 USD:

Initially, I had it set up in standard mode but after a bit of research, I found out that the 'MAFFU' wings were only used in the video game. Since my Dragonar was not the 'anime correct' version anyway, I thought 'what the heck' and slapped the wings on. SPEC Layzer looks on jealously in the distance...

BTW, a dealer here in Singapore overstocked on the SPEC Tekkaman Blade + Pegas. If anyone is interested in getting them for about 30% less than the 16,000 yen MSRP let me know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 11:36AM by drifand.
Buh? The MAFFU wings were used as soon as Meiyo Platt and the Falguen reached Earth after the first episode arc of Dragonar. It was initially attached to allow the Falguen flight capabilities and whatnot (the technology was later incorporated for the Dragonar team when constructing their Lifter packs). Even when the series went back into space, the Falguen kept the MAFFU pack due to the added speed, propellant and weaponry it provided, even if the wings weren't as useful in zero-gravity.

You might be mixing up the Falguen with the Falguen CUSTOM, an entirely new unit for Meiyo that was designed for Another Century's Episode 3 for the PS2 a few years ago, which sadly has not been made into a figure of any kind.
MattAlt Wrote:
> Damned if they release a full-fledged set ("What
> were they thinking!? It's too expensive!"), damned
> if they release it in parts ("what were they
> thinking!? they should have released a complete
> set!") What's a toy company to do?

Release the full set and start acting like they used to.
Cool, yup I need to get hold of the torrent one of these days...
delta_7890 Wrote:

The wonder that is a proxy
> service will certainly make it at least somewhat
> reasonable to obtain.
>
> Actually, it might not be such a crazy idea to
> consider a group buy sort of thing, if a bunch of
> folk here are gonna be getting the Big-O and are
> interested in the extra parts. I dunno.

Does anyone know of proxy service that would take a group order?

EDIT: Would you pay $100 + shipping for this set? I think it releases in December.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 12:55PM by RedAleseides.
We've seen the SoC line change and evolve over time, some of the changes seemed pretty successful and got dropped, other things seem pretty fail and yet keep being done, and of course this is all from a gaijin perspective reading the interwebtubes.

There was that time when they were doing the Mazinger Partners when they were all about fast prototyping and low prices. It looks like they've abandoned that.

About the same time Bandai was all about keeping the pipeline filled, with a balance of cheap, 'normal' and wallet-buster pricing, and new and re-issues came out every month. I think this has ended.

Then they took expensive releases (Ideon, Irongear) and REALLY went to town, tricking them out with utterly cool but ultimately un-needed extra stuff. Not sure if this should be considered ended or not.

Some of the newer SoCs have been blessed with amazing joints and super posing ability, a trend I greatly approve of as long as it doesn't spoil the look of the figure. I hope this continues.

THEN it was the dual releases (Raideen with big head base or not, the Spec Dragonar with or without pod thing) (and of course they had to have ENOUGH differences between the two that you HAD to buy both, right?) and that has mutated into...

Making the DX version of the figure into a Web exclusive. Which kinda seems to be a very 'in your FACE America' because seriously, does ANYONE in Japan give a flying flip about The Big O? No, it's AMERICA that WAS apes**t over it, BACK 5 YEARS AGO.

And of COURSE it's not available via the American Tamashii site, that site is a JOKE and was never intended to be anything more than a way to promote Bandai as a 'world leader', pimp it out prior to SDCC. In a global economy it would be the most logical thing in the world to make these products, ALL the Tamashii stuff available but no, no, Japan only, so sorry.

(shipping? what shipping? throw a hundred of everything into a shipping container and offload it at Bandai America's warehouse, ship from inside the US. Cheaper for everyone but OH NO, if it's cheaper then it might be *GASP* reverse imported! NOOOOOOO)

Mind, I have no dog in this hunt. The Big O was kind of fun but it never took over my mind.
[p-bandai.jp]

Effect parts, chains, expanded display base, ok, yeah, that's all "extra" type stuff.

But the opened arm weapons? That's a pretty significant aspect of the robot's design and capabilities for them to exclude from the regular release.

And the spread flat palms? The CAR? That's ridiculous. They're singular, tiny accessories... and the car is pretty integral to the robot, even if it's not actually visible most of the time... This is bullshit.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer