Shin SOC News Thread (untouched by the unwashed)

Posted by hillsy 
MattAlt (Admin)
>>It is weird that CMs made the gordian.

Perhaps it's a Tatsunoko licensing thing. Speaking of which, did anyone actually pick that CM's Gordian up? How is it? Worthy?

Now that Bandai's pretty much covered the bases with regards to DX portrayals, I'd love to see them start doing smaller ST styled versions. Like the old ST Chogokin of Gordian, etc., etc. But I suspect the failure of the super-underappreciated "THE Chogokin" line means that won't happen anytime soon.
i picked one up, opened it up but haven't taken it out of the box. i actually wanted the limited edition one with the original toy face as well, but have't gotten around to picking that one up yet.
from what I see so far, it does not compare to baikanfu. they definitely addressed the problems with the original in terms of arm joints, but that is to be expected after 25some odd years.

Bandai is still missing golion, dairugger and albegas the voltron robots I would like to see a good rendition of albegas. I always liked the standard version. the DX version has some serious proportion issues though that need to be addressed.
MattAlt: You know I'm with you. SOC has the DX thing covered and I'm ready for ST funkiness. When I was a kid the smaller sized St's always got more play. They looked killer on the shelf and were easy to throw into a backpack to take wherever...Not to mention that I always liked the weight of them in my hand. Not that I didn't like the larger DX toys, but they were always more for show...the little guys were built to slug it out with each other...
Sanjeev (Admin)
I, too, love the ST chogokin...'cause that's all we could get!

And not that I'm really interested in modern gokin anyway, but aren't the SRC toys essentially the modern incarnation of STs?
Sanjeev: Yeah I guess so, but they got no Soul...Give me five joints and a ton of metal..oh and plastic accessories pointy enough to gouge out an eye...not to mention a little styrofoam coffin for him to sleep in...
Sanjeev (Admin)
You and me both, pal, but I don't think we're likely to see five points of articulation ever again...

So sad.
use your five points of articulation and get off my lawn
Sanjeev (Admin)
You're just jealous I'm gonna get my Fire Valk before you do.

:P
we know that's a lie because you would never buy a modern toy

also if it makes you feel better you could always buy a modern chogokin and just pose it really awkwardly
5 points of articulation on a ST? If we were LUCKY! Unless they had knee joints, I don't think those weak ass swivel "thigh" joints counted as articulation....
"we know that's a lie because you would never buy a modern toy"

Who said he's "buying" it...

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Exactly.

I shoulda written, "You're just jealous I'm gonna get YOUR Fire Valk before you do."

The plan was to intercept the shipment, open it up carefully, drag my sack across that glossy, glossy red plastic, repack it, and send it back on its way.

Yeah. Just picture that...
Jesus....if he's got as much hair below, as he does above....you're going to need to Nair that fucking Valk.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sack.

Good grief--does every conversation with you have to come back around to your sack? You're talking about an Irish potato sack, right, with a brogue?
ST Bismarck had more than 5 point articulation
So did ST Albegas.

When I say 'ST' I mean standard as opposed to DX, so don't correct me (someone always does).

...others with >5? I'm guessing there's a few. Suprised no one chimed in on that.
leMel42 Wrote:
> ST Bismarck had more than 5 point articulation
> So did ST Albegas.
>
> When I say 'ST' I mean standard as opposed to DX,
> so don't correct me (someone always does).
>
> ...others with >5? I'm guessing there's a few.
> Suprised no one chimed in on that.

Man... that ST Albegas remains oh so elusive to me. It's still one of my must haves.

I think the ST Daimos was the first one that had more than 5 pts w/ the elbow joints (not counting some of the non-robot Popy chogokins at the time or Robo Junior for that matter...)
REAL-TYPE's.
GodMars, Dynaman, etc.?
Sanjeev (Admin)
ST Laserion. Finally got one last summer--great lil guy. I like him more than the DX. And Harvey, the Albegas ST isn't THAT hard to find these days (well, unless you're looking for C9+ mint/complete). So worth the patience!

Anyway, for the record, LeMel, I think fel9 was just using five points of articulation as euphemism to encapsulate everything we all generally love about ST's. Not necessarily to be taken literally. At least, that's how *I* interpreted it. I think we're all on the same page.

gingaio Wrote:
> Sanjeev Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sack.
>
> Good grief--does every conversation with you have
> to come back around to your sack? You're talking
> about an Irish potato sack, right, with a brogue?

Yes, invariably. But not so much dangly Irish...more like reasonably well-inflated basketball...only slightly smaller and brown. And hairier, like Hillsy said. And less brogue and more sitar.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> ST Laserion. Finally got one last summer--great
> lil guy. I like him

WHAT?? Did you...just,..say..."I like Laserion"...duh..errrr..?! ... *collapses#*
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...just the ST, remember! ;)

Plus, I kinda *had* to liberate it from Mason's comic book shop: it was dead-stock, purchased originally from Mr. Big Toyland! A piece of history, indeed...
ST Laserion > DX Laserion just like ST Vavilos > DX Vavilos (but Vavilos still sux)...

Thanks for the heads up on Albegas ST Sanjeev.... I remember asking Alt to look for one for me in Japan some years back and he didn't have much luck so I assumed they were hard to find and haven't bothered to look since. Not that I can afford to budget for one currently.... now if they only had an Albegas Carnival ride...
The big boys.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1053.jpg (363.6 KB)
Great comparison shot Chen. Thanks for risking your table cracking in half to show all those diecast big guys next to each other. ;) GodSigma NEXT!
Nice shot. Reminds me of how much I'd like to trade my Dancouga for some other SOC.
the laserion is not too hard to find on the interwebs. The standard one seems to be a bit more infrequent, but it does pop up with regularity and does not command a huge premium. The DX laserion with heavy armor is my favorite rendition.
chen Wrote:
> The big boys.

What, no Dygugengyengazinggar???

More serious than thou
Lol you mean Dygenguar? I had it in the combined horse mode for the longest time but decided to keep both in the separate robot modes and I actually prefer it that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 05:25PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1044.jpg (157.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_1046.jpg (174 KB)
Some more pics of Godsigma, plus there are hints that the next SOC after is made up of three parts so there's speculation it could either be SRX or Daihoja or even Gaiking The Great.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 05:30PM by chen.
Attachments:
open | download - 15hof4l.jpg (99 KB)
open | download - 2re1ahd.jpg (109.6 KB)
open | download - 20gjf9y.jpg (110.2 KB)
>Some more pics of Godsigma, plus there are hints that the next SOC after is made up >of three parts so there's speculation it could either be SRX or Daihoja or even >Gaiking The Great.

Or Zeorymer. Think about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
It could be any one of a ton of Super Robots that are made up of three parts, hell it could even be Albegas. But the three I listed were on that fan poll Bandai shown and it looks like their systematically doing each one.
Daihoja would be sooooo epic.
Let's see:

Albegas
Daihoja
Dairugger (has three teams)
Zeorymer (been in a number of SRW games).
Perfect transforming Getter (maaaaaaaaybe).

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sanjeev (Admin)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> The plan was to intercept the shipment, open it up
> carefully, drag my sack across that glossy, glossy
> red plastic, repack it, and send it back on its
> way...

Oh, Andrew...

Guess what arrived in the mail!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 11:17PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - 204_0453.JPG (83.8 KB)
I got mine yesterday :3

how long will it take you to figure out the trick of the chest plate
Sanjeev (Admin)
:)

Chest plate trick? Mmmm...I'm guessing how ever long it takes me to watch a youtube video explaining it! :P
chen Wrote:
> It could be any one of a ton of Super Robots that
> are made up of three parts, hell it could even be
> Albegas. But the three I listed were on that fan
> poll Bandai shown and it looks like their
> systematically doing each one.

Anyone got a link to those poll results?
It was ages ago now, I can't remember what came where.
I don't have the original scan right now but here's the translated list.

1 Daltanious
2 Daioja
3 Tobikage
4 God Sigma
5 SRX
6 Mazinkaiser
7 Gaiking The Great
8 Daitarn 3
9 Trider G7
10 Shin Getter Robo
its funny cause looking at that comparison photo, Big-O doesnt look so Big at all. Still awesome just not as big as I thought when put next to some of the other giants.
Yeah I would consider Big-O the smallest "Big SOC", it looks enormous next to your standard SOC but next to say Ideon it's pretty small. Still a great piece though, too bad the extra accessory pack was a web exclusive.
Yeah that was one of the big guys I wanted, but ended up passing on and now I wish I hadnt passed on him. I just really love Big-O's design.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer