Shin SOC News Thread (untouched by the unwashed)

Posted by hillsy 
My GOD that's a thing of beauty. Must start saving .... :)

Thanks, Ken-A
H-man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fort Max Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is that GaoGaiGar's great great grandfather or
> > something, I always thought GGG was pretty
> > imaginative but looking at Daltanious here it
> > suddenly seems considerably less so.
>
>
> You could say that. "Dalty" here was the first of
> the Lion-Head Chest Robots. Between that and GGG,
> there's been a handful of others.

Exkaiser, Great Da Garn, Lian, Shinken-Oh, Gao King, buncha other more vintagey guys I'm sure. But yes. Daltanious is one of the first, if not the originator. Wasn't Daltanious the original pitch for voltron but it got mixed up with Golion footage and the studio liked it more?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Predaking. ;)

Anyway, I gotta admit...that's looking kinda gorgeous...just from the back!
servbot30 Wrote:
> H-man Wrote:
> -----
> > Fort Max Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Is that GaoGaiGar's great great grandfather
> or
> > > something, I always thought GGG was pretty
> > > imaginative but looking at Daltanious here it
> > > suddenly seems considerably less so.
> >
> >
> > You could say that. "Dalty" here was the first
> of
> > the Lion-Head Chest Robots. Between that and
> GGG,
> > there's been a handful of others.
>
> Exkaiser, Great Da Garn, Lian, Shinken-Oh, Gao
> King, buncha other more vintagey guys I'm sure.
> But yes. Daltanious is one of the first, if not
> the originator. Wasn't Daltanious the original
> pitch for voltron but it got mixed up with Golion
> footage and the studio liked it more?

Guess that's my cue - [www.zincpanic.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 10:39PM by inwards.
Thanks! That's always been one of the most entertaining articles ever written over on zincpanic. I, (and I'm sure plenty others) keep using it as reference. There are a LOT of crazy lionhead stuffs out there.
Even though hes pretty much an orange brick, gotta love me some Predaking!!!
Not SOC but is gokin. Too bad it's an exclusive.

[blog.livedoor.jp]

Gotta love them magnemo pigtails.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 04:08PM by Vincent Z..
I seen over at BBTS they have a SOC Buzz lightyear...wtf is that about. I mean I love Toy Story movies, but do we need a buzz lightyear SOC. I mean its kinda cool, but at the same time i feel like he just doesnt fit into the SOC line. I was more or less wondering what Bandai was thinking and what some of you guys thought. [www.bigbadtoystore.com]
Buzz is a regular chogokin. BBTS just listed it as an SOC.

[www.hlj.com]

BBTS throws just about any gokin toy that Bandai produces into that category. I think that Drossel toy was in there too.

More serious than thou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2010 01:09PM by fujikuro.
ahh ok thanks for clearing that up. Your right Fujikuro, I do remember seeing Drossel in the SOC section at BBTS.
$300 for Daltanious. No thanks. >.>

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> $300 for Daltanious. No thanks. >.>

same here man, as much as i wanted him the $300 price tag put a stop to
that purchase real quick. Not that I cant afford it, but there are other things
I would rather purchase right now to plunk down $300 on 1 figure.
NEOGETTER Wrote:
> same here man, as much as i wanted him the $300
> price tag put a stop to
> that purchase real quick. Not that I cant afford
> it
, but there are other things
> I would rather purchase right now to plunk down
> $300 on 1 figure.
>
Don't mean to single you out, because for all I know I've made some variation of this comment in the past, but I've been noticing this line a lot lately. Like, a LOT. Specifically, it comes up with great frequency on the Transformers boards. Some dude will complain about the Masterpiece Rodimus costing what it does, and then some jagoff will say, "Get a job!" and then the original dude will go, "Hey, asshole, it's not that I can't drop the cash, 'cuz I could totally buy your mother...," the whole exchange (and both parties) managing to both irritate and intrigue me.

What's the deal with this preemptive defense? Are people that intimidated by the pimpness of their fellow geeks? Are they that afraid of being ostracized for being poor or whiney, and if so, why complain in the first place, then? Why not just say that you plan on buying four, one to open, one to keep MIB, one to decorate your lawn with, and one to wear on a chain around your neck? Also, should I tip my barista? 'Cause that tipping's seriously eating into my weekly Sweet Tarts fund. Not that I can't afford Sweet Tarts.

I guess I'm saying that just once, I'd like to hear a dude go, "Hey, fuck you. I'm flat broke, I've got three kids with four wimmen, and I've got a lien on my double-wide, which is riddled with buckshot holes and which doubles as a mini-museum for my vintage collection of M.U.S.C.L.E and Inhumanoids figures. So no, I will not drop three bones for this new _________. So go fuck yourself, rich boy. Choke on my hog."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2010 04:00AM by gingaio.
gingaio Wrote:
> What's the deal with this preemptive defense?

After years of only Roger and totally no one else, especially not me, calling people hobos on this board it's the only way people have left of defending their honor without unzipping their pants and pulling out the rulers.

Completely unrelated, I totally bought Rodimus' mother the other night and it was suh-weet. But you couldn't pay me to pick up a dirty tramp like Daltanious. I wouldn't handle that shit with your specially designed oil absorbing all cotton white chogokin handling gloves. Can't just go picking up every dirty ole piece of zinc you come across. Shits disgusting, son. Gotta keep some self-respect, see?
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio, taking lessons from the Gcrush school of hilarious posting? ;)

Nah, not to speak on NEO's behalf, but I actually respect the statement. I mean, I've never trolled TF boards, so I don't know how it plays out as a straight up pissing contest...

But looking at the statement with no strings attached, when someone says "hell no" when a price gets announced, it can mean two things to me: 1) Hey, I'd sure like this and I'd be willing to pay the price...but I just ain't got the bread; or 2) Fuck this shit...I have the bread, but that price is just insulting.

I *assume* NEO not trying to show off his rocks here, and is simply going with #2 above...which I can dig. I mean, $300 for a new gokin toy IS a bit insulting...I got the Godaikin for literally half that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2010 09:34AM by Sanjeev.
Yeah, for some perspective, I just bought a Clover DX Super Combination Gundam for that amount and I'd totally rather buy the original Daltanious for that price.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
[www.hlj.com] Daltanious is 15% off till Dec 12. This price is lower than the infamous, financially destroying, unfathomably dreaded, lovecraftian horror inducing 300 american green dollars. Pre-order it now or be driven into utter madness and hobo life.
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> I *assume* NEO not trying to show off his rocks
> here, and is simply going with #2 above...which I
> can dig. I mean, $300 for a new gokin toy IS a bit
> insulting...I got the Godaikin for literally half
> that.

Heh, if I could get the Godaikin for half that price I'd go for it too rather than this. A lot of times I like the look of the modern toys a bit more than the vintage, but this is one case where I think there's no contest. To my eye the SOC looks like it was painted in tempera. Flat paint on a robot = crap. No thanks.

More serious than thou
[www.amiami.jp]

Daltanious is even less at Amiami but still like 200 bones.

I've grown to be ok with the lion head. Though the lack of chrome legs and the squatish proportions still really bother me. If a chrome release is made, I'll snap it up in a heart beat.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> that.
>
Yeah, I didn't think he was waving his cock or anything; it's more what Gcrush was alluding to, that every time a high-priced item gets announced and people start moaning about the price, there's this almost communal need to establish a qualification or credit-check for complaining because some people feel class differences or something. It's just curious to me because if you're at a party and someone mentions an expensive car or dinner, you normally wouldn't be able to drop "not that I can't afford it" without sounding like a total tool. Normally, you'd just say, "That's ridiculous," or even, "I would never pay that," without saying whether you could pay for it or not. And if you do, it's usually more along the lines of, "Even if I could pay for that, I wouldn't." Of course, a lot of this has to do with being more familiar with people in a face-to-face situation and letting your guard down a bit more, etc. I mean, so what if my penis is the size of my thumb, and...wait, what...?
Sanjeev (Admin)
This is interesting to me. Perhaps it's that I'm never in situations (parties or otherwise) where people connect expensive (or cheap) things with their value as human beings. I guess that's why when I hear people say, "not that I can't afford it, but...", I take it purely at face value. Potential cock-waving doesn't even occur to me.

Heh...for a moment there, I thought maybe what this says is that I'm just naive. But then after thinking about it for a sec, I really think it just says that I'm blessed to roll with some real solid folks!
You know, in a way, I just think we're dancing around a similar point. My point, which probably wasn't clear enough in the previous post, is that if you want to say that something is insultingly/ridiculously expensive, then just say it. But do you really need to qualify or justify that opinion by adding a detail about whether you can afford it or not?

As you said, a person's value isn't based on an item, and that being the case, why does it matter if a person can afford something or not? Why does that piece of personal info even need to be shared, especially with strangers on the Internet, if the main point is simply that the thing is stupidly expensive? That's what I meant by the tool comment.

It's kind of like that Throwing Down thread. I have no problems with people talking about how much they're spending if that's the main point of the discussion. If someone in that thread said, "Hey, I'm blowing three grand a month on Go-Bots," I wouldn't see it as cock-waving. But if somebody said, "Daltanious is far too expensive, and just FYI, I'm speaking as someone who's spending three grand a month on Go-Bots," then yeah, that would strike me as maybe being a little odd.

I mean, yeah, it's right to take the line at face value, but it also strikes me as sometimes being a defensive reflex that's part of this hobophobia that's been internalized across the collecting communities, though this is primarily due to me having seen this line come up so often lately. And not as cock waving, but more like, "I'm not really a hobo." Or, "No hobo," I guess, would be the contemporary equivalent.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2010 01:14AM by gingaio.
I just hope I can afford the Escaflowne when it hits.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> gingaio, taking lessons from the Gcrush school of
> hilarious posting? ;)
>
> Nah, not to speak on NEO's behalf, but I actually
> respect the statement. I mean, I've never trolled
> TF boards, so I don't know how it plays out as a
> straight up pissing contest...
>
> But looking at the statement with no strings
> attached, when someone says "hell no" when a price
> gets announced, it can mean two things to me: 1)
> Hey, I'd sure like this and I'd be willing to pay
> the price...but I just ain't got the bread; or 2)
> Fuck this shit...I have the bread, but that price
> is just insulting.
>
> that.

I agree with Sanjeev, It doesn't matter to me or most people on this board you don't have the bread or have the bread but the price is insulting to you. No one will think less of you either way.
I totally agree. The construction looks great, but the paint is just...wrong. Why so mustardy? Let the metal shine!

fujikuro Wrote:
> Sanjeev Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > I *assume* NEO not trying to show off his rocks
> > here, and is simply going with #2 above...which
> I
> > can dig. I mean, $300 for a new gokin toy IS a
> bit
> > insulting...I got the Godaikin for literally
> half
> > that.
>
> Heh, if I could get the Godaikin for half that
> price I'd go for it too rather than this. A lot
> of times I like the look of the modern toys a bit
> more than the vintage, but this is one case where
> I think there's no contest. To my eye the SOC
> looks like it was painted in tempera. Flat paint
> on a robot = crap. No thanks.
I don't care if people can afford it or not, I just don't want to pay more for a new toy than for the equivalent toy from 30 years ago.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Well the paint is a pearl color and not flat plus a lot of the pics we're seeing are still prototypes. As for the price well it's not Bandai's fault the American dollar is in the crapper, the actual YEN price is 22,000 which is less than Godmarz and the same as Ideon. Plus this will be one of the larger SOC's at a height of around 27cm.
Wow, I guess Im late to the party. No offense taken from anyone. I didnt mean for it to sound defensive at all. What I was basically getting at is pretty much what Sanjeev pointed out. I really was looking forward to this toy and well at $300 dollars I just wont pay that. Maybe Im used to other forums I frequent where people are more "toy snobs" or "elitists" and when you make a comment about the look or price of something Im just used to someone bashing me or leaving trolling comments. No big deal, its a nice toy overall.
Yeah the price is pretty steep, you can always go the pre-order route which I did for a somewhat more reasonable $194Cdn or you can hope that a store sells this at a discount like Daitarn which is now going for $145 at Angolz. But the current exchange rate sucks though, could you imagine the price of GX-46 if it was for sale now? At 28,000Yen it would be close to $400.

[www.amiami.jp]
Daltanious update, materials breakdown and gimmicks,
[hk.myblog.yahoo.com]
Anonymous User
web exclusive dragonar 2 and 3 appear to be out.

[www.toysdaily.com]

[www.toysdaily.com]
!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2011 08:57AM by Runaphen.
Attachments:
open | download - 20110122_c97cbddf699c14b1b638rRKhtR8TiHFe.jpg (251.8 KB)
Holy crap, really? God Sigma?

What the hell?! Are SoC picks being made due to intense 'Anison' lobbying or something?

(it seems there's a huge 'thing' about the OP theme for God Sigma among some)

I welcome it, it won't be long before the 'Godaikin' catalog is complete in SoC releases. Pity that deal with whoever went down the crapper, huh?
About god damn time
They listened! They love us!
I don't get too excited about all the SOC releases, but this is looking so good.

I loves some Godsigma
No spacey cars.
No spacey bikes.
No spacey tanks.
No spacey animals.

Just 3 giant blocky, spacey, robots, that make another gigantic blocky, exotic space robot. What else do ya need?

(just got a cease and desist from Spacely Space Sprockets)

repairtechjon Wrote:
> I loves some Godsigma
> No spacey cars.
> No spacey bikes.
> No spacey tanks.
> No spacey animals.
>
> Just 3 giant blocky, spacey, robots, that make
> another gigantic blocky, exotic space robot. What
> else do ya need?

Truer words have never been spoken. I love Love LOVE my SoC GodMars, and I must have this Godsigma. While I'm very impressed with the engineering, there's something ... too cartooney? ... about the Daltanious paint. I'll have to wait for the inevitable recolor.

Best, Ken-A
Daltanious is still a little off. Other than the lack of chrome it just does'nt sit well with me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer