Shin SOC News Thread (untouched by the unwashed)

Posted by hillsy 
SteveH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Zambo Ace Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> The Brain Condor from Great Mazinger would make
> more sense, not just because it's logical, but
> they'd be able to do the repaint for the upcoming
> Shin Mazinger Great chapter.

The good news, I hear, is that is exactly the plan. Matt might be able to confirm (or deny) this, but a friend of my friend's uncle's brother's son's friend says the American market dictated the release (I imagine a live-action release is inevitable). I've been waiting for a cool Brain Condor ever since this fiasco plagued my childhood:

> What next, the ship from Outlaw Star? Complete the
> trifecta of the PVC Anime Legends toys from 2001?

I wish that were the bad news. Then there'd be hope of a LINE of toys as opposed to a careless sprinkling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2009 07:34PM by RainBot.
Attachments:
open | download - brain plug.jpg (41.2 KB)
SteveH Wrote:
>
> What next, the ship from Outlaw Star? Complete the
> trifecta of the PVC Anime Legends toys from 2001?

That would be unbelievable. No one cares about Outlaw Star. I love all the ship designs, though. And an SoP version would undoubtedly include the shield, knife and submachine gun, which put the design concept over the top, from something almost reasonable - the idea that a spaceship might somehow benefit from having arms - into the territory of the wacky.

Hey, don't forget the other three Anime Legends toys! Escaflowne, Big Duo, and... SOME STUPID ROBOT FROM CANDIDATE FOR GODDESS. That last one was the only one I never got, and I still want it.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
asterphage Wrote:
> Hey, don't forget the other three Anime Legends
> toys! Escaflowne, Big Duo, and... SOME STUPID
> ROBOT FROM CANDIDATE FOR GODDESS. That last one
> was the only one I never got, and I still want it.

I'd be thrilled if Bandai (or anyone) released a Big Duo in one of their toy lines. I'm absolutely in love with that robot. I have every toy they ever made of it.

It's on the shelf next to me right now.
Atami Night Mazinger review:
[d.hatena.ne.jp]

It looks like this guy's copy had a flaw in the molding or paint on the exposed half Koji face.

-Paul Segal

The Outlaw Star would be fantastic, I have this really complicated and scary resin kit of it cos it was the only model I could find. I haven't made it, I'm scared of ruining it but I will someday...

Make it that is, not ruin it.
And I stand corrected, I see HLJ is now listing the Swordfish II as PX-05.

So they're continuing the line, not bailing on the coding.

but see, this is the annoying thing. I look at the old Popynica toys and on the whole they whipped all kinds of stuff out, generally all the 'major' vehicles of any show. I'd really like Bandai to get off their asses and do that, make that commitment with the SoP line.

so we get the Swordfish? cool. Let's have Jet's ship, Faye's ship and the Bebop itself. Let's have all the 'cockpit modules' from the various Nagai robots. Need something cheap and fast to fill out the line? Re-pop all the cool UniFive diecasts as Soul of Popynica.

aarrggh,
Absolutely! It's a major portion of the old gokin market that they have left almost completely un-addressed. I'd guess about half of the old Popy toys were vehicles, so why is virtually everything made today strictly robot?

More serious than thou
Cause robots SELL? wink

I adore robots BUT Some of the aircraft from anime are quite nice & I may have to eventually buy a few.
Seems like for the most part, they rather just have the vehicle as a pack in for the SOC (like the car that came with Leopardon).

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
A few more pics of GX-52 Getter 1

[www.amiami.com]
The one thing that the Aoishima one has that looks better is the clear parts used in the chest. Gave it more character.

More pics of GX-50 Combattler V 2.0

[ga.sbcr.jp]

I'm glad I waited on buying the first go-around.
Damn, Combattler looks great.
Indeed it does look good. I would like it, preferably a version with all the decals instead.. but I'll wait for an comparative review and a cheap price tag. I can't see it selling out and prices skyrocketing.

Speaking of rockets, did old Combattler come with a pelvis rocket?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2009 09:16AM by eitlobsaboo.

Pics of plenty of other stuff as well: [blog.hobbystock.jp]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2009 08:55AM by Runaphen.
Attachments:
open | download - 040.jpg (224.8 KB)
Runaphen Wrote:
> Pics of plenty of other stuff as well:
> [blog.hobbystock.jp]
> ml

Sweet merciful crap, that GFF Metal Composite Unicorn Gundam is a thing of beauty.

Thanks,
--Ken-A
Ken-A,
Did you notice the thighs are backward in Destroy mode? WTH??
Oh fudge yes. Combattra gots the space tank mode. [ngeekhiong.blogspot.com]
That Eva-01 is looking badass.

Combattler looks great. I wonder if we'll start having a crew of people who now stand by the "old school" SOC's in the same way people do for the truly vintage stuff?

More serious than thou
The first berserk EVA-01 in the SPEC line, the YJ exclusive, is much freakier than the latest incarnation. The revised anime movies are awesome, but the EVA Flip Out scene was more cinematic than horrifying. Same thing with the toy - it's got more "cool" than it has "abomination."
More Daitarn pics. Still no color, but the other modes are there.

[www.toy-world.com.hk]
No mention about Tobikage? Seems he's up after Daitarn.
Marasai Wrote:
> No mention about Tobikage? Seems he's up after
> Daitarn.

Tobikage's info is right on the same page as Daitarn's. Looks like they're releasing him AND his three transforming animal pals. I imagine this'll be an expensive set.
Runaphen Wrote:
> More Daitarn pics. Still no color, but the other modes are there.
>
> [www.toy-world.com.hk]

Seeing the Daitank just reminds me how much I wish the first Super Robot Wars SOC had been Grungust instead of Daizengar/Aussenseiter. :d

But, wow, man, check out those Tobikage blueprints!! All those odd little details of joints and mechanisms... Tobikage's torso opens up somehow to accomodate the combination with his animal friends, right?

-Paul Segal

This video nicely explains Tobikage's transformations:

[www.youtube.com]
Tobikage!

So, it'll come with all three beasts? I guess that Tobikage itself will be a small figure.

Can't wait to see some prototypes; I better start my SOC Tobikage fund...

And I bet they'll also release Zerokage as a web exclusive.
More GX-51 Getta Dragon pics: [www.toysdaily.com]
Runaphen Wrote:
> More GX-51 Getta Dragon pics:

Hell yes! Now that's more like it!

Thanks,
--Ken-A
Got mine today, it's smaller than GX-18 but heavier than it looks, very nice figure.
He's incredible looking. I'm only vaguely familiar with that robot but I'd buy him if I had room.

SOP Swordfish II: My first "Soul of..." item since I sold all of mine some years back.

What it's got going for it: It's the featured vehicle from my favorite anime of all time.

What it's not got going for it: Soul or diecast. Seriously, the first thoughts I had when I held the box were "Big!" and "Light as hell!"

I bought a model kit of the Swordfish for my brother some years back, and when I pulled this toy out of the box, I couldn't tell the difference--thin plastic parts with some very sharp points that really hurt my hands. The two pieces of metal are the ball that's attached to the plasma cannon and the central gray dome right behind it. Everything else is plastic. The central landing gear is a plug-in piece (seriously?! at this price?!).

The one semi-redeeming point is that the engine hinges on a ratcheted joint. Good design choice there.

I think I may be returning to my Soul-less bliss soon. I'll be at my local 7-11 this weekend trying to sell it for $10. I'll even throw in some candy.

And I can't even believe I wrote all this. I should be lying and going on about how awesome it is so I can totally resell it. Whatever.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2009 03:57AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Swordfish 3.jpg (115.3 KB)
open | download - Swordfish 4.jpg (155.6 KB)
gingaio Wrote:
>
> What it's got going for it: It's the featured
> vehicle from my favorite anime of all time.
>
> What it's not got going for it: Soul or diecast.

> The central
> landing gear is a plug-in piece (seriously?! at
> this price?!).

Are you kidding?! Even the Bandai America Anime Collectors series toy had all three unfolding landing gear! Soulless indeed.

-Paul Segal

Man, I've been looking for that toy. I've actually been thinking about selling this and just going with that.
So. . . hardly any diecast and plug in tail-wheel.

But how is it otherwise? Does it look impressive in person? No floppy parts what shouldn't be? Is it swooshable? Does the wing folding mechanism work smoothly?

Importantly, is there FUN to be had?

I've been thinking about getting this for a friend who loves teh Bebop. He's far and away more into models than toys (but currently has no time for models), so heft and working landing gear aren't high on my list of concerns.
No wonder the SOP line is having trouble getting any traction...with all the complaints about the SOP Yamato, the Kamen Rider Cyclone and now the half assery of this, it's amazing the Hover Pileder came out the way it did!
Don't forgot Kaneda's bike. Wasn't that one good? Then there's the upcoming SOP Kaneda Bike that's like 1/6 scale.

H-man Wrote:
> No wonder the SOP line is having trouble getting
> any traction...with all the complaints about the
> SOP Yamato, the Kamen Rider Cyclone and now the
> half assery of this, it's amazing the Hover
> Pileder came out the way it did!

I was actually thinking the opposite. I was like, Bandai's done well with Kaneda's bike and the Godphoenix (under the Uni-5 brand), so it won't fuck up the one toy I've been looking forward to all these years.

I used to think that "Bandai hates you" was a myth, like Santa Clause and the Chupacabra, but I really do think now that Bandai truly hates me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer