Shin SOC News Thread (untouched by the unwashed)

Posted by hillsy 
Voltes V LATE REPORT

[www.toysdaily.com]
[www.hlj.com]

Why did the price of Falgen jump $20 more?

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Anonymous User
That's pretty upsetting to me, especially in this economy.
Runaphen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Voltes V LATE REPORT
>
> [www.toysdaily.com]
> tml

And here I was thinking this was a review done in a swanky cafe somewhere, or someone doing a Twisted Toyfare Theatre style cafe review starring Voltes V...

Still, having to choose between the two SOC releases, my money is definitely on the "latter" release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2009 10:51AM by RainBot.
Just got the Project Soul of Chogokin III in the post today and was scouring the last couple pages of tech drawings and concept stuff and was highly amused by the chogokin ボールペン (bo-rupen) [ball pen].

Its on the bottom of page 125.

Its a pen, with the bonus of which looks like it could attach the combattler hand weapon parts, and/or act as a replacement for mazingers lower arm and/or have three hand variants to play jankenpo.

I would so buy this.
Anonymous User
Runaphen Wrote:
> Voltes V LATE REPORT
>
> [www.toysdaily.com]
> tml

Are the hip and ankle joints as flimsy as the first release? They were tight at first, but after posing him a few times, he just tends to flop over easily because the joints get loose fairly quick!

I'm hoping the R version improved the joint system but it looks from the photos like they didn't do anything to tweak this.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Tighter hips and ankles. Peep the video--good comparison coverage...

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
[blog.goo.ne.jp]

Falguen review. I've been finding that the smaller but more articulated SOC's have been the most rewarding to get.

I have Falguen coming in the mail from HLJ so I tell you how it is when I get it.

That'll probably be the only SOC I get this year. Maybe the Black Serena down the road.

Falguen looks good, but it's definitely not a priority for me. I bought the 'OP silhouette' version of Dragonar simply because I thought it would be nice to have a good representation of a classic 80s mecha hero, AND also because I thought the 'show accurate' version looked less appealing!

I think I'd be more inclined to buy an extended line-up of SPEC Vifam mecha than anything else from Dragonar or Layzner.
I want SPEC versions of the mechs from Five Star Stories...I know pipe dream, but who ever thought we'd see a modern version of L-Gaim or Dragonar...

...AND also because I thought the 'show accurate' version looked less appealing!

Am I the only one who thinks the giant probe-droid/mushroom-o-doom armor accessory looks awesome?

I think I'd be more inclined to buy an extended line-up of SPEC Vifam mecha than anything else from Dragonar or Layzner.

Vifam. Fuck yes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2009 03:40PM by Runaphen.
Just me, or did the back story section of the SOC manuals get deleted? My GX-31v just had... instructions. No photos, history, animation cel shots or anything. Did the 1st GX-31 have it?
GX-45 anyone? [www.toysdaily.com]
Huh, not for me, thanks.

More serious than thou
Is that some SRW design?
>Is that some SRW design?

Yes. Seems kinda wrong for the SOC line.

Anyway my Falguen came today. It's quite good. Really articulated and a decent amount of metal. The only part of armor that's removable is the lower legs. I can forgive that as there probably was never detailed schematics of what Falguen"s skeleton actually looks like, unlike L-Gaim which should have had more than the armor of the shins removable. Dragonar's armor was all removable.

Enemy robots as high end toys are rare. I hope that they do the Auge and Batshu of L-Gaim.

As I might have said before, this will probably be the only SOC I'll get this year. Unless you can tell me if the Black Serena is worth getting or not. The upcoming smokey clear version has a better looking inner robot than the overly fuchsia one. Doesn't come with the jet attachment though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2009 02:02PM by Vincent Z..
I don't really see how it's wrong for the SOC line. It seems more appropriate than Evangelion at the very least. Not that I don't like Evangelion, it just doesn't fit and it's been realized numerous times in several other releases.

I'm looking forward to Daizengar and Aussenseiter, mostly since Aussensseiter will be transformable. I'd love to see a transformable Cybaster, like the one released by SHE. I wonder how much GX-45 is going to retail for?
Attachments:
open | download - GX-45_soc_dai.jpg (431.2 KB)
It's 'wrong' for SOC because it was never made as a Chogokin before. At least the EVAs were DX Chogokins before being SPEC'd. Never mind...
Well I have no problem with the SRW figures in the SOC line, most people have a misconception that the SOC line is just modern version of the old Godaikin line or other diecast figures which is totally wrong. True the SOC line has a basis and a strong connection to that old line but it's not a slave to it and having a mix of old and new is a great combination. Besides if the SOC line was stuck just re-doing old figures then we wouldn't have gotten figures like Gunbuster. Plus I would also argue that the Eva's deserve to be SOC's just on the basis alone of being so influential in the world of Super Robot. While Daizengar and Aussenseiter are nowhere near that level of influence, the designs are probably the most popular of the original SRW designs and part of a huge market.
Eh, it bothered me that the Eva's were part of the line too...

More serious than thou
True, that, about Gunbuster... Now I kinda wish the VF-25 was SOC instead of DX Chogokin. Got a feeling Bandai is parcelling out the Frontier goodies and keeping lots of Deluxe Potential in reserve for future milking.
One the great things about the SOC line is that, unlike the 70's and 80's, toy engineering has advanced so much now. For one thing, some of these impossible transformations can be made possible and toys reflect what we see on the big screen. Gunbuster was never supposed to be made into a toy, but it's one of those amazing gattai sequences I've dreamed of in a toy. If toy technology of today was available decades ago, who knows what other robots would have been made chogokins?

It's also great to see Bandai taking back Macross; Yamato-brand figures have left an ill taste in my mouth.
RedAleseides Wrote:

> It's also great to see Bandai taking back Macross;
> Yamato-brand figures have left an ill taste in my
> mouth.

Hear, hear. I've begun to dream of an SOC Macross arriving sometime in the next few years. Proper TV series style.

It'll likely never happen, but hey, dreamin' is free.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Runaphen Wrote:
>
> Hear, hear. I've begun to dream of an SOC Macross
> arriving sometime in the next few years. Proper
> TV series style.
>
> It'll likely never happen, but hey, dreamin' is
> free.

Why? Isn't there like 1000 versions of the character already in toy form? What real difference would an SOC VF-1S make? Seriously?
But... but... if they released an SOC VF-1, we could buy ANOTHER VF-1! I don't see the issue here.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.

Why? Isn't there like 1000 versions of the character already in toy form? What real difference would an SOC VF-1S make? Seriously?

The Macross you idiot. Not a VF-1. The Macross.

This thing:

Remember kids, reading is fun & mental.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 06:39PM by Runaphen.
Attachments:
open | download - macross-attack.gif (106.6 KB)
Yes, the Daedalus attack just isn't the same with ARMD...mmmmm. The VF-4 Lightning is still one of my favorite designs, though some of the Varuta crafts from Macross 7 ain't bad either.

Agreed, the TV ver. Macross doesn't get enough lovin'.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
"The Macross you idiot. Not a VF-1. The Macross. "

My bad, fucker... Maybe if they made an SOC Macross you could stick it up your ass and post a review. Now that's FUN & MENTAL..

Maybe if they made an SOC Macross you could stick it up your ass and post a review.

The Macross isn't supposed to be covered in brown sticky bits...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2009 12:40PM by thomas.
Personally I'd rather have the DYRL version myself.
Does anyone here have the Black Serena and if it's worth getting?

I like mine, your mileage may vary.
thomas Wrote:
> Maybe if they made an SOC Macross you could stick
> it up your ass and post a review.
>
> The Macross isn't supposed to be covered in brown
> sticky bits

But it is in Sjoen's universe.

More serious than thou
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
fujikuro Wrote:
> thomas Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Maybe if they made an SOC Macross you could
> stick
> > it up your ass and post a review.
> >
> > The Macross isn't supposed to be covered in
> brown
> > sticky bits
>
> But it is in Sjoen's universe.

Ha ha!! I watch a lot of Miike films. Seriously though, I was just ribbing Runaphen. I would never want him to stick a Japanese robot up his ass as it would be VERY dangerous. Achtung.
Heh. I was just prodding Sjoen for the hell of it. Or because he has pharmaceutical elephants and I don't. Whichever you believe.

Personally I'd rather have the DYRL version myself.

Wave made a DYRL Macross not long ago. I recall reading it was rather fragile though. Personally, I couldn't give the slightest shit about anything from DYRL.

Edit: Naked Tetsujin is nakedly awesome. [hk.myblog.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2009 10:23AM by Runaphen.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
That naked T28 is wicked cool.

And for crying out loud, leave my lil' elephants alone.. Jeez...
I hope Bandai takes a page out of Megahouse's playbook and uses the metallic paint scheme that Megahouse is using on their up-coming SD Robot Wars figures for their SOC Robot Wars figures. The color pictures of the SOC figures looks dull now compared to the Megahouse figures.
[www.toysdaily.com]
Maz.

[hk.myblog.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2009 11:29PM by Runaphen.
Attachments:
open | download - ap_20090223012852388.jpg.jpg (22.3 KB)
More pics of that event-limited Naked Tetsujin and the new Maz.
Attachments:
open | download - 200g.jpg (232.5 KB)
open | download - maz.jpg (116.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer