check out my Kaijuzoo Getter!

Posted by crystalglowchrome 

[tinyurl.com]

check out this incredible work from John Groff at Kaijuzoo!
it looks so cool in person, the pics dont really do it justice, I am very glad I had John do this project for me. he is working on a yellow translucent getter dragon for me right now, they should look great together, let me know what you all think.
started out as a translucent orange getter one from marmit if you cant tell, the last pic of the sidshow shows the orange transparancy, quite a cool effect to go from fully painted to translucent
Hey CGC, thx for posting the Getter sneak peek pic and slideshow - I am visiting with relatives for two weeks vacation and won't be able to complete the webpage until I return home.

But anyway, as mentioned, this commission revolved around the gorgeous "crystal" orange translucent FLSR Getter 1 from Marmit (it's the same sculpt as the
"glowie" Getter that I made last year for Sanjeev).

My design challenge with the "Sunkist orange" Getter was how to end up with a visually appealing painted figure and STILL allow the cool orange tranlucency to "pop" out. To achieve this goal, I used five of my color-shifting translucent paints to give the hint of colors in daylight yet still be translucent with backlighting.

I made the Getter slideshow to help show how the various angles of reflected light turn on the subtle shades of the color-shift paints. We both think the effect works very nicely and of course, is especially more visable in person.

After I complete a few more projects, I'll be looking forward to getting started on the companion figure, the yellow translucent Getter Dragon.

John G.
KaijuZoo Toys - Where the Monsters Live
[www.kaijuzoo.com]
KaijuZoo Gallery [www.flickr.com]
G-Fan Dealer of the Month - Summer 2005

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2007 08:14PM by kaijuzoo.
Sanjeev (Admin)
crystalglowchrome, you stole that Art Deco Robo from starbasejapan33!! :P

For real, though, that is some killer stuff! Can't wait to see the companion Getter Dragon. In the meantime, this translucent Getter 1 and my glow Getter 1 should go get a beer...

John, you rock as usual! Hey, I still want that glow Varan! ;)

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Another beautiful job, John! Kudos.

Oh, and props again on the Jet Jaguar glowie you did for me. I finally took him to a convention, and he was a big hit. He and an unpainted flesh-toned duplicate sat side-by-side among 60+ other toys, but when I dimmed the lights, that glowie stood out like a beacon. Even though the room was still partially lit, and you had painted over him, he clearly stood out on the table. I was as shocked as anyone! ^_^

Jape
this translucent Getter 1 and my glow Getter 1 should go get a beer...
hell yeah, wish I could see them side by side, they would make a cool pair!
Thanks again for the great work John! I like it more and more every day=) got a few more projects in mind for you already.
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> crystalglowchrome, you stole that Art Deco Robo
> from starbasejapan33!! :P
Sanjeev, that is sooo funny, I had used the same phrase "Art Deco Robo" in an email earlier when I sent the sneak peek pics - guess I'd better trademark it real quick like !! ;-)

> John, you rock as usual! Hey, I still want that
> glow Varan! ;)
Thx my friend - I appreciate your patience but the KZ Varan exclusive series is still pending as a few other projects got bumped to the front burner. That plus a loss of 4 weeks production time with vacations the past few months.

But rest assured, good things come to those that wait!

John G.
KaijuZoo Toys - Where the Monsters Live
[www.kaijuzoo.com]
KaijuZoo Gallery [www.flickr.com]
G-Fan Dealer of the Month - Summer 2005
japester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another beautiful job, John! Kudos.
>
> Oh, and props again on the Jet Jaguar glowie you
> did for me. I finally took him to a convention,
> and he was a big hit. He and an unpainted
> flesh-toned duplicate sat side-by-side among 60+
> other toys, but when I dimmed the lights, that
> glowie stood out like a beacon. Even though the
> room was still partially lit, and you had painted
> over him, he clearly stood out on the table. I
> was as shocked as anyone! ^_^
>
> Jape

Hey, thx for the props Jape. That would have been cool to see that crowd reaction in person. Thanks for the feedback!
[ url ]http://toyboxdx.com/phorum/file.php?1,file=4747[ / url ]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2007 11:49AM by crystalglowchrome.
Attachments:
open | download - new photos 043.jpg (190.1 KB)
I think I am doing just what you said Sanjeev, still it just prints what I write and does not show the pic, am I writing it wrong?

if anyone else knows what needs to be changed to make it work, please let me know=)

[ url ]http://toyboxdx.com/phorum/file.php?1,file=4747[ / url ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2007 12:00PM by crystalglowchrome.
told a different way, trying it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2007 12:05PM by crystalglowchrome.
Attachments:
open | download - new photos 042.jpg (232.5 KB)
WOW, it works, Thanks=)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2007 12:14PM by crystalglowchrome.
Attachments:
open | download - new photos 044.jpg (201.5 KB)
open | download - new photos 045.jpg (204 KB)
Thanks for sharing your cool combo shots!
And I've just completed the webpage so check it out too.
KaijuZoo Marmit "Art Deco" Getter Robo Webpage
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer