SOC news

Posted by Fort Max 
All these Getter-Haters should stop sippin' all dat Getter-Hatorade...

That Getter set is simply one of the finest that the SOC line has ever put out. The Getter G's are even better. And don't forget, the SOC Poseidon does have spring loaded firing missiles to boot! I admit I haven't really tinkered too much with the modular aspects of the toys like Corey (love those pics as always!) but it's that aspect that makes these the most "playable" of all the SOC's IMHO.
What happened, did they get the internets at the Happy Chogokin Nursing Home? It's an old-timer slapfight up in here!
Yeah too much hate.. theres another thread concerning repaints thats like a granny beating down on an unsuspecting bag thief..

But really how much do you 'play' with your chogokins? I assume most of us arent wearing diapers anymore (and i apologize to those who still may??!) and chogokins arent your everyday gijoe that you strap a plastic bag to, throw it up in the air and hope the shute opens..

Does it really matter how many shooting fists, light-up eyes or ammount of transformation it has?

When i get one, I admire all the parts, transform it a couple times (depending on the difficulty), put it in all its capable poses & decide on one i like, put it on its stand on my shelf and sit thinking how cool it looks. Every now and then I give em a bit of a dust & stick em in a new pose.

Sure sometimes i think, yeah this guy should have retractable spiky feet like black ox, but i just shrug my shoulders and admire it anyway.

If your looking for an all out 100% do everything, you'll never find it. So sit down and enjoy what you've got.
cae
Yes. Enjoy your toy appropriately like eitlobsaboo does or know that you are considered a wearer of diapers.

I, for one, hang my head in the purest of diaper-clad shame for actually daring to squeeze a little joy-value out of mine instead of respecting them for what they are: toys.

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2008 10:55PM by cae.
Hell yeah!!! For the amount of money I pay for my figures, you're damn straight I'm going to play with them...

Breast of Fire!!!

I'm a happy old man...

}D
LOL. Just because a few of us don't like a certain toy, everyone thinks it's World War III. Puh-leeze! ^_^
It's fine offcourse people dont like certain toys, I certainly really enjoyed my getter poseidon...
Didn't look like much on the packaging, but it's beautiful inside...

And to get back on topic,
who besides me places Reideen in their top 3 ( gaiking, giant robo) coolest robots !?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2008 06:06PM by zolarzyztem.
[www.tamashii.jp]

Peep the last pic. Looks like Bandai's going with the retro-style packaging again (similar to the SOC Voltes). I don't like the use of the bootleg names, though (Rai? Spinx?). Give me the original Orbots names anytime (Crunch! Ohno!).
MattAlt (Admin)
I don't like the use of the bootleg names, though

The original Japanese names are bootleg...?

The Mighty Orbots design obviously shares (rips off?) the concept, but has a totally different appearance. I wish someone would make a die-cast of that sucker! There's a photo of a vintage prototype that never made it into production floating around out there.
MattAlt (Admin)
Speak of the devil...

[toyboxdx.com]
MattAlt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't like the use of the bootleg names, though
>
> The original Japanese names are bootleg...?
>

Should have included the smiley face on my last post.
MattAlt Wrote:
> The Mighty Orbots design obviously shares (rips
> off?) the concept, but has a totally different
> appearance. I wish someone would make a die-cast
> of that sucker!

I remember someone (Harvey?) had a diecast Mighty Orbots robot, or knock-off or somesuch.
I picked up a DVD of the Orbots last week (horrible audio is over-modulated and distorted). It's one of those shows that makes you wonder if they had just done a few things differently how well it would have done. It's definitely "inspired" by God Mars and the shows of that ilk, but something's missing, and I wanted to punch Gary Owens in the throat 30 seconds in.

I remembered watching it back when it aired, but it was just before Voltron and Tranzor Z and the others had made it over, so I guess it was bad timing at huge expense and the wrong market to try showing American kids what had been the rage in Japan for years.

I was considering buying one of those ko GodBot toys and doing a custom, like the one mentioned, but until recently there was little reference for the Mighty Orbots to go by, but now...

To put to bed the like/dislike of toys, if we all liked the same thing and agreed on what was good it would be damn boring and we'd all have the same shit. Then it would be too much like Macrossworld.
Delicious blue 00Kai SPEC.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Attachments:
open | download - 1205190062406.jpg (55.2 KB)
More Eva 00 pics in this thread:

[www.toysdaily.com]

Page 1 has some Black Serena and Godmars and R3 Gallia.

[www.toysdaily.com]
I guess every Gundam now has to have some mobile armor that attaches to it.

The Godmars is looking a bit smaller than I expected, but maybe the Spec Evas are just bigger than I thought they were.

In either case the Serena looks like a mess of black parts. I don't know what they were thinking picking that one, but I guess that's what some people said about Dragonar.

I realized the reason I wasn't wowed by the SoC Dragun. Growing up with the Shogun Dragun means anything that doesn't throw a fucking axe or shoots ninja stars pales in comparison.
What is the giant Zeta Gundam? display model or something?

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
That's the Jumbo Grade Zeta (check HLJ).
Chirico Cuvie Wrote:
>
>
> The Godmars is looking a bit smaller than I
> expected, but maybe the Spec Evas are just bigger
> than I thought they were.
>
>

Well here's a shot of Ideon along with two Specs, and a dvd case for scale.
I guess godmars will be a bit smaller than Ideon.
I've also thrown in a kubrick mazinger as a bonus...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2008 09:07AM by zolarzyztem.
Yeah the spec evas are much bigger than their SOC counterparts.. They pose better, but weigh basically nothing compared to the SOC.

Ideon is huuuuge. I saw one in a shop when i was walking round akihabara last year. Godmars looks on par with the Voltes/Combattler or Gunbuster.

Oooo my other passion apart from chogokins is SD gundams.. & i like the new sangokuden series. The clear variants are very tasty.

btw.. tekkonkinkreet was cool
Are the specs diecast?
Some parts are diecast, feet/lower legs/upperlegs/chestpiece/some joints. But they are quite heavy, my favourite EVA's so far.
Ideon is big, but, for example, Masterpiece Convoy and the recent GFF Psycho Gundams are both taller. One thing it looks like God Mars has going for it is that it's a fairly complex set overall. Hopefully, it's also not nearly so floppy as Ideon is.
zolarzyztem Wrote:
> Some parts are diecast, feet/lower
> legs/upperlegs/chestpiece/some joints. But they
> are quite heavy, my favourite EVA's so far.

The SPEC Evas arent diecast.. the main frame body is plastic (except for metal joints on the feet). The majority of the leg armour & the armoured feet are the only metal parts. Everything else is plastic.
Compared to a SOC EVA (which is pretty much 80% metal), it weighs nothing.

Btw I'm comparing my SPEC EVA-01 XS-01 to my SOC GX-21 EVA-03..
Unless maybe the newer SPECs have more metal parts.
My Dragonar has a metal frame similar to those Gundam Seed Metal Material sets from a while back. I believe the Layzner does as well, but mine hasn't arrived yet so I can't confirm it.

I think the EVA should have had a launch ramp/cage for a stand though considering the stands the others have. This really does look like it was due to being the first release and Bandai not realizing the potential. Just like the Perfect Grade Eva.

I like the SPEC line overall, it gives Bandai a chance to experiment with more of the "Real Robot" stuff without diluting the original theme of "Super Robots" SoC is known for. Removable armor is part of the line as well, all of them do it so far and it looks like it will continue to do so (Black Serena, L-Gaim). My only problem is that SPEC stuff seems to be limited production. I had a hell of a time tracking down a Layzner and Dragonar for regular price, and many places were sold out.
Tamashii Nation 2008
[www.toysdaily.com]
[ga.sbcr.jp]
[dol.dengeki.com]

Key pics attached. GX-44 confirmed to be Tetsujin 28 (New). GX-4X will come from Super Robot War! Probably SRX?
Attachments:
open | download - soc_t047.jpg (81.6 KB)
open | download - 23696_n20080319_tamashii_12.jpg (108.1 KB)
Does this mean the Tall thin T-28 from the 80s? or the Gundam-like T-28 from the 90s?

> Key pics attached. GX-44 confirmed to be Tetsujin
> 28 (New). GX-4X will come from Super Robot War!
> Probably SRX?
Anonymous User
Wow all 3 looking great in that first pic. I will say L-Gaim will most likely end up making my buy list. Daimos I can pass up, Jeeg may get bought, depending on its price point.

SRW in the SOC line just blows me away. The potential for a combining SOC of SRX, or a transforming Grungust makes me weak at the knees. Either would most definitely blow away the Volks or Studio HalfEye figures, and be significantly cheaper as well.
Jeeg & Daimos are a must for me. I hope the white part of the legs on Daimos have diecast cuz they seem kinda plasticky from the pictures.
Ahem.
Attachments:
open | download - p1000053_2.jpg (92 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Green Irongear...that's what's up! Wonder if they'll tighten up those hip joints so that you can fly him around the room without the legs collapsing...

Not that I'm planning on getting this, but the clear armor on that Nadesico mecha looks pretty cool:

Yellow Irongear can't be too far away now...
or at least yellowing with all that clear plastic
Waiiiiit a minute here...that list is interesting.

New Jeeg has been shifted from the Soul of Spec line to the SoC line? Did I mis-read all the previous reports and mag scans or what?

and I'm pretty sure that T-28 will be the '80s remake and not Tetsujin 28 FX. If the list doesn't say T28 FX, it's not T28 FX.
Anonymous User
I'm pretty sure the Jeeg was just labeled chogokin, niether soc or spec. I was asuming that this would come out under the GE series like the chogokin LOD Gaiking.
Daimos looks like it has some weird colour choices.
SPEC is always stuff with removable armor, hence the addition of L-Gaim. Jeeg is straight up Super Robot so he belongs in the regular line up unless he's vinyl.

I don't think the clear parts on the Serena are for sale (yet), it's just to illustrate there's a full figure inside all that.

Daimos looks good so far, but I hope he comes with some accessories, otherwise he better be on the sub $60 side. I really only want him now because I've got the two V's and want to complete the Robot Romance Trilogy.

I'm glad to see the L-gaim confirmed, a Bat-Shu or Mk. II is probably around the corner as well. I wonder if this means Bandai will go Votoms and add yet another Scopedog to the mix. A SPEC 'dog with removable armor and metal frame would be nice in 1/24 scale, and don't think I'm forgetting Dougram.

I'm glad I decided to go DX on the Raideen. Seeing all that stuff makes it worth the extra dough in the long run.
Chirico Cuvie Wrote:
> I don't think the clear parts on the Serena are
> for sale (yet), it's just to illustrate there's a
> full figure inside all that.
>
I think some of the other pieces were also "display only" as opposed to future sale, at least for now: the green Irongear, the clear Baikanfu, the Dancougars with the different wings, and (I think I spotted) a Voltes V colored like the vintage DX version.

In any case, if this "new" T28 is the 80s version, then I'm all set. It's the only old-school robot left that I'd want to get in SOC form. I've been waiting for this one pretty much since the line started.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2008 07:25PM by gingaio.
MattAlt (Admin)
I was at the event. Pretty mind-blowing stuff. Here's a closer shot of the new T-28's blueprints. It is indeed the 1980's portrayal and the toy looks to be loosely based on the Mazinger Z body.

DX Raideen is really cool, but the painted white biceps and thighs kill it for me. Only the "ST" (which still transforms, but doesn't come with the giant head) has chromed arms/thighs.

None of the translucent stuff is going to be for sale. They are prototypes, created to allow the engineers to check the fit of parts. Ditto for the various bases (the GodMarz mountains, the Combattler base, and the Battle Shark), which are only prototypes for display.

I had a chance to speak to the head of the SOC project and mentioned wanting to see a Dangard Ace. He wouldn't confirm or deny, but said it was something they definitely would like to do. As this event shows, they're pretty much in it for the long haul with the series at this point, and it would be stranger NOT to do a given classic robot than to include it -- it's just a question of timing. The next piece after T-28 is going to be something from the Super Robot Wars series.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2008 08:40PM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - T28_small2.jpg (403.5 KB)
MattAlt (Admin)
And for you Getter Robo SOC lovers and haters, here's a beautiful acrylic painting by Tsuyoshi Nonaka that was on display at the show. I wish this had been the box-art!

Attachments:
open | download - gettaSOC.jpg (450 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer