[RUMBLE] The Tyrant is a Softie

Posted by drifand 
My take on the CM's Corp limited edition TYRANT 2000 sofubi figure...

[toyboxdx.com]

It's... cute!
MattAlt (Admin)
Nice! I have been really resisting the urge to pick these guys up. They look great, particularly alongside the Ingrams. The world needs more "real robot" sofubi.
Great review, and it looks really cool. I'd probably get one if I had the Ingram.
Well, right now, I'm actually panel-lining the green guy and also using some Gundam Markers to touch up minor under/over painted areas. The manipulators are gonna look great once I have the crevices filled in.

Beacuase of the limited numbers produced, I crossed my fingers and ordered mine direct from HLJ. If a local seller actually manages to bring in some for a reasonable price, I might pick up one more to 'experiment' on :-)
Sanjeev (Admin)
MattAlt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...I have been really resisting the urge to
> pick these guys up

Resist? What the hell for??? I'm not a big Patlabor fan at all, otherwise I'd have these...but still, I'm *totally* drawn to them!

> ...The world needs more "real
> robot" sofubi.

Goddamn right!

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
HaHaHa---drif drifts to the dark side!

Glad to hear it's bagged with a header card, I loves that shit!

I've got the brown version on the way from HLJ, can't wait...
cae
love the picture series - great looking sofubi!

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
I couldn't decide which version I wanted, so I got em both. Still haven't received them yet, I forgot what a pain SAL is.
As I understand it, the green version appears in the TV or OVA series while the brown version appeared in the first movie. Since I went for broke to get the trio of TV Ingrams, it HAD to be the green one for me. :-)

Now I'm thinking of spraying a semi-gloss coat over my Tyrant to make it look more at-home next to the shiny Ingrams. Of course, I know next to nothing about painting vinyl surfaces...
Double-check the paint first to see if it works on vinyl. Not all paints do.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'm getting the glow version! ;)

Drifand, Minwax Polycrylic spray works brilliantly on vinyl. I use it quite a bit; comes in matte ("satin"), semi-gloss, and gloss:
[www.epinions.com]

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
I'm assuming this is a Chinese-manufactured sofubi, therefore it isn't the hard vinyl used by M1, Marmit etc...

Looks pretty squishy in the pics.
I thought it was orange in the movie. I haven't seen it in years so I can't recall.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
I thing I'm going to send mine to KaijuZoo for a Hawaiian paint-job.
Thanks for the tip, Sanjeev. Looks like my DIY hardware store may have some!
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> I thought it was orange in the movie. I haven't
> seen it in years so I can't recall.

Well, I just popped on my 'Honneamise' remastered P1 DVD and looked up the scene:

1. The maker is identified not as 'Hishi Industry' but as 'Yotsubishi Heavy Industries'.

2. It's arguable whether the movie's Tyrant is orange or brown, but it's definitely leaning towards mid brown to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2007 12:44AM by drifand.
Attachments:
open | download - Tyrant cap1.jpg (63.1 KB)
open | download - Tyrant cap2.jpg (56.4 KB)
Great review and photos - thanks!
Here's the brown version, complete with bag and header card---Ha!

It's no M1. It's completely squishy like a dog's chew-toy.

You know, for some odd reason it reminds me of the Takatoku Sofubi for Macross.

It's beautiful and I want it. I have no life.

but this showcases how insane things are nowadays. Something like this would have been seen as a 'disposable' toy back in the day, probably cost 500 Yen. Now it's a SUPAH LIMITED ONE TIME ONLY BLINK AND ITS GONE item.

As much as I'd rather have it that way than not have it at all, I'm not at all sure I'd call it 'progress', ok?

And why does it seem they're getting the 'manufacturer' names wrong on these things? It's not like there isn't TONS of reference material out there...
Well, the Tyrant is a Hishii labor. It's just the Pickle that isn't.
About the names, I think it was the 'fog of development'... the first movie came out after just 6 7 OVA episodes and uses a slightly different continuity. Even the manga had slightly different designs for the hero mecha – not easy for the casual fan to discern so easily.

In any case, I *am* curious to know more about the Pickel-kun... anyone have its maker stats? (Besides MAHQ?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2007 07:44AM by drifand.
OK, FWIW, according to this Japanese Wiki page, the KV-98 is a product of Shinohara Heavy Industries...

[ja.wikipedia.org]???????????????
So it's more expensive now at 5775 yen? Yikes! :-/

BTW, I was reading thru the booklet that came with the Honneamise P1 DVD set and it mentions that "Hishi is a subsidiary of Yotsubishi Heavy Industries...". If it's canon, then that resolves the maker confusion.
drifand Wrote:
Even the manga had slightly
> different designs for the hero mecha – not easy
> for the casual fan to discern so easily.

And they are shown to be developed to something closer to the anime versions in later books.

(I read the french release - 15 volumes of the manga have been published in France to date, too bad the editor seems to be in trouble and it's halted now :( ).

Anyone knows the scale of the figures included in this set ( [www.hlj.com] ), BTW?

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2007 03:33PM by thomas.
The 'large' Ingram, Noa and Bud are non-scale, while the command car and team mini-figs are supposed to be in-scale with the Brave Gohkin Patlabor and sofubi labors. Exact scale is arguable because it's hard to determine the Ingram's height for measurement and calculation: Up to the top of the head? Up to the tip of the large antenna? Head looking straight-ahead? Or tilted down, which props the antenna higher... ?
I think the scale is close to 1/48 but others feel it may be a little larger, like 1/45 or thereabouts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer