[RUMBLE] MoreSpeeda!

Posted by MattAlt 
Well the CMs Legioss does all that. Individually they're pretty good. I guess the problem is they are another example of "it'll do."
a red tread for the thread

OK, so I want and alpha and tread set for my collection, which one? Toynami? CMs? Aoshima??? continue to dream??
the toynami tread is the best ver. their alpha disintegrates at the touch. the cms figs are nice but way over priced for the delivered product. though the cms red set is on sale at hlj. tough call. though for certain the toynami tread is worth every penny.
Toynami and Aoshima are the same design. Apparently the Aoshima Alpha is marginally better than Toynami's, but they still break a lot. Beta is good.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Anonymous User
Apples and Oranges.
So could you link an Aoshima alpha to a Masterpiece Tread? My LCS has some of each (Masterpiece Treads and Aoshima Alphas) that could be mixed and matched if so desired.....
The "REISSUE FIXED EDITION" of the Maia Masterpiece Alpha is being offered for pre-order:

[www.robotech.com]

Very curious to see how these turn out.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yep...this was mentioned on CDX...and like I said over there, unless these were fabricated in the same factory as the Betas (and thus have the same high quality), they can eat me.

Is there a matching Beta in this colorway yet? (hehe...couldn't resist! :P )
There was a Beta Shadow colorway announced at the beginning but so far the solicitations for that colorway have not appeared. I don't remember if Maia has a Beta in the movie that matches her colorway, or one that matches Marcus' colorway (an Alpha for him is supposed to be coming after Maia's), but remember a while back Tommy Yune showed a pic of a Beta prototype with a synchro cannon (as it appeared in Shadow Chronicles), so anything's possible, at least as far as colorways go.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh...interesting...so it could be that all their Shadow Chronicles Alpha releases are solid, while all the old New Generation ones suck...

Eh.
I'd like to see what the reviews say when it finally hits. If the quality on the Maia colorway is good, I'd consider pre-ordering Marcus' Shadow Fighter colorway if they produced it, because the colorway (white and dark gray) is pretty cool. Maia's purple colorway doesn't cut it for me.
Pencil boards!

[www.pencilboard.net]
[www.1999.co.jp]

Anybody knew about these trading figures?
Vincent Z. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.1999.co.jp]
>
> Anybody knew about these trading figures?

a selection of several overpriced figures and a secret trap
Anonymous User
Roger Wrote:
> Oh, snap!
>
> [www.starshipmodeler.com]
> useaction=product.display&Product_ID=1554

I believe that's a John Moscato product. Didn't know he'd actually released it though.
Anonymous User
Roger Wrote:
> Pencil boards!
>

I've got the last one pictured there. It was a magazine promo. Great cutaway art!

I know the Aoshima Legioss isn't supposed to be that good, but what exactly are the problems with it again? What parts are prone to breakage? All I really remember hearing about was scratching. Which parts are scratch prone?

I'd love to get the CM's Legioss figures, but they're all way too much money. The Aoshima ones are way easier to get ahold of at much more reasonable prices.
The Toynami Alpha toys aren't too good, lots of little quality problems that add up to frustrate you. The Aoshima Legioss toys are worse in this regard.

And the CM's toys aren't that expensive if you look. You can get the red Legioss/Tread off of HLJ for about $125 right now.
Interesting & Positive news!
Anonymous User
The replacement run of Toynami's "Maia Sterling" MPC Alpha Fighter is out. And thanks to photos by this lucky owner who posted his news at MW and flickr, the work is unfortunately shabby:

[www.flickr.com]

He notes better plastic, better materials for the hands, and some improvement in the working parts as well as carry-over from Aoshima's work with the tooling. But he also points out some paint-glued joints, very poor assembly, loose parts and points out that the gun intended for the Shadow Alpha doesn't fit the standard type hands this design is outfitted with.

What I'm really surprised at is how incredibly shabby the work is on inspection of the larger photos. Rough sprue-cut points, sloppy paint and inept assembly. This guy's sample has problems much worse than my Rook and Shadow Fighter MPC Alphas. It's the curse of the short product run that really murders QC on complicated products like this.

I hope the whole run isn't like this one. Its a shame - I really liked this particular variant. It's very pretty. And I expect if this is a typical example it will probably be the nail in the coffin for Toynami's Alpha/Legioss.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damnation.
Here's another set of pictures:

[pics.livejournal.com]

What a shame. If the whole run is like this, it's a sure bet that Toynami has squandered whatever hope potential consumers had.

I spoke with Josh B. who spoke with Toynami today about this, he may have something to post here or at CDX.
Anonymous User
I'm interested in Toynami's perspective on it.

I feel bad for Toynami about the situation. Their Legioss/Alpha is a beautiful piece of design work and obviously its heart is in the right classic "Real Type" place, but to get the things made with dependable QC they would probably have to be produced in typical Hasbro Transformers quantities or have an SRP of about $300 each...
But the CM's Legioss was only $120 for a standalone release.
Anonymous User
VF5SS Wrote:
> But the CM's Legioss was only $120 for a
> standalone release.

Good point. Any idea what the quantities were on that? They were generally cheaper than CMs other big Brave Ghokin products, weren't they?

I don't own one of those to directly compare. (Their Drone Legioss is too cool.)
Sanjeev (Admin)
But I don't want CM's Legioss/TLEAD. They look funny and don't really combine. I want Toynami's...but it's broke. :(
since when are you concerned with looks over playability :p
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, the Toynami looks better to me, is bigger, and it's got better playability (well...if they didn't crumble in your hands).
Toynami should pull a yamato and give us a KIT to build ourselves. If bad painting and glued joints are the real problem. Folks with modelling skills could solve that. (if its the sculpt, that is harder...)
Well, the Toynami version is basically a toyified version of the Aoshima kit, yeah? So you could just build that.

Of course, the Aoshima kit is also notorious for being fragile, go figure.
Hellequin Wrote:
> Well, the Toynami version is basically a toyified
> version of the Aoshima kit, yeah? So you could
> just build that.
>
> Of course, the Aoshima kit is also notorious for
> being fragile, go figure.

It is?

The main problem is that it is almost entirely impossible to build while keeping it transformable and keeping the paint intact each time you transform it...

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
So in the Voltron thread, Josh B. says that sales of the Beta were poor. Too bad. I guess we shouldn't be expecting the Shadow Beta now.

Probably for the best, though. From what I could tell, the prototype of the Shadow version that was shown off a couple of years ago was the same sculpt as the green one.

The original concept Tommy Yune told me he pitched to Toynami for the Shadow Beta was that it was going to be headless, like the Alpha drones, just a sensor stuck in the chest. The implication was that towards the end of the war, they were so few soldiers left that they had nobody to pilot the Betas.

Oh, well, could have been cool. I think the alternate heads for the red and green ones were well done.
I finally managed to not sleep through Shadow Chronicles the other day and the Betas never detach or transformed. So the drone idea is implied in the animation as well, I guess. Too bad all the mecha in that show were computer generated rather than hand drawn. Really ruins it.

Interesting that there is no new Robotech merchandise at all shown beyond the vinyl battlepod with the missiles. Someone said that like Voltron, Toynami is dropping the license. Anyone know if that is true?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Sounds it. Didn't JoshB mention that in his Toyfair coverage?

It's kinda weird, though...because isn't Harmony Gold still in the midst of a big push to put Robotech back in the spotlight (new movie/cartoon)??

You'd think they'd want more toys from Toynami...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Sounds it. Didn't JoshB mention that in his
> Toyfair coverage?
>
> It's kinda weird, though...because isn't Harmony
> Gold still in the midst of a big push to put
> Robotech back in the spotlight (new
> movie/cartoon)??
>
> You'd think they'd want more toys from Toynami...

Yes, one would think so.

Speculations:

HG wanted more money to renew the license than Toynami was willing to pay based on the ROI to date, or a variation, grinding the numbers showed Toynami that the ROI was weak and their money would be better spent on other licenses.

HG declined to offer a renewal and figures that with all the work they're doing to push the brand forward they don't need Toynami anymore and 'someone else' will snap up the license now that it's available.

Someone else put in a preemptive offer for the license to activate when Toynami's option expired.

What's the truth? Who knows? I kinda fall into the 'better the devil you know than the one you don't know' category and think HG is rather foolish if they're the one that ended the deal, and between this and Voltron Toynami is losing two fairly important 'niche market' licenses, altho they seems somewhat under-utilized from my eyes.
I just picked up a CM's Legioss and Tread used for $100, and at that price, its an AWESOME deal, IMHO. The blue one, without upgrade parts, but only $100. I think its a couple of great little toys. My favorite Legioss I have so far. I have not got the Toynami legioss. Just this and the Gakken. The cm's legioss and tread CONNECTOR is HORRID and unusable but each toy alone is pretty great. Now about that $300 price when not bought used....

So I just got the blue Beta fighter for a good price (the box was kinda vurrped), and I was quite surprised. Pleasantly so.
So pleasantly that I rushed on to eBay and hunted down another Scott Alpha fighter (I let go of the original years ago and didn't miss it).
I must say I don't hate the Alpha as much as I did before, now that I can hook it up to the Beta fighter. With a little care and some aftermarket gluing, and by hooking it up to the Beta fighter, the alpha is almost acceptable.
If I may paraphrase Captain Lopez in the Sea Hawk, perhaps Toynami's sale strategy is surrounding the alpha fighter with beauty in the hope that it may be contagious.

That being said, BBTS has the Shadow Beta on Preorder for a third quarter release, as well as Marcus' for this month. And no acknowledgement from Robotech.com as to their existence. Way to drum up support!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 10:13PM by RainBot.
Attachments:
open | download - Alphabeta.jpg (150 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
RainBot Wrote:
> I must say I don't hate the Alpha as much as I did
> before, now that I can hook it up to the Beta
> fighter.

Well said. The crux of these products (for me) is their connection. Hence, my avoiding the CM's offerings...despite their solid construction and playability.

> That being said, BBTS has the Shadow Beta on
> Preorder for a third quarter release, as well as
> Marcus' for this month. And no acknowledgement
> from Robotech.com as to their existence. Way to
> drum up support!

My real question is whether we've seen the last of their Beta's. The Maia reissues appear to be a significant improvement--not perfect, but certainly getting there--but if there are no more Beta's...well... :/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer