[RUMBLE] MoreSpeeda!

Posted by MattAlt 
Is this the last Tread that broke the camel's back as far as Mospeada's global popularity is concerned?
VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this the last Tread that broke the camel's back
> as far as Mospeada's global popularity is
> concerned?

As much as I love this franchise, I think that Mospeada's "global popularity" was globally inflated from the very beginning of this recent product push. I just wish that a better Legioss had been made before the bubble broke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 11:15AM by Warrhead.
Warrhead: I agree...The CMs Legioss was close, but the price was just a little out of whack...Now that it seems to be all and done, I find myself wishing that I could just have a reissue of the Gakken toys with modern touches (like tampo printing)...oh well...
Sanjeev (Admin)
VF5SS Wrote:
> Is this the last Tread that broke the camel's back
> as far as Mospeada's global popularity is
> concerned?

Huh.

Apparently not.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> The crux of these products (for me) is
> their connection. Hence, my avoiding the CM's
> offerings...despite their solid construction and
> playability.

The CM's just looked like cheap crap to me.
And, despite its flaws, I liked the Alpha fighter's look. When the Beta came out, and it didn't suck, the Alpha gained something. The connection, while relying a little on gravity, is quite solid with and without the stand. It's no toy, so you can't go swishing it carelessly throughout the room.

> My real question is whether we've seen the last of
> their Beta's. The Maia reissues appear to be a
> significant improvement--not perfect, but
> certainly getting there--but if there are no more
> Beta's...well... :/

I am quite stunned at the lack of coverage Toynami and Robotech.com give to their own products. No official mention on either of their websites. There's an article somewhere that Josh had with Toynami, but darned if I could find it. All I found was a brief sentence mentioned when Josh was wiped out from Toy Fair.
Anymoon.com seems to be the only reliable place that mentioned the canceling of the Ride Armours...
Is there no perceived connection between information and sales with these companies? Sheesh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 12:08PM by RainBot.
Toynami seems to truly have no clue when it comes to creating and marketing products from their licensed lines. They sit on gold mines, but barely scratch the surface with them.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hmm...but I wonder if it's Toynami...or Harmony Gold.

I got the impression from those who've talked to George Sohn that he's a solid businessman...but isn't it NOT his responsibility to market the Robotech toys? I can't imagine Sohn brokering the deal with Aoshima to sell these things as "Mospeada's Legioss/TLEAD" in Japan...

'Course, I could be completely wrong...
It's not Harmony Gold's job to promote Toynami's products, same way it isn't Lucasfilm's job to promote Hasbro's products. And when Aoshima sells the same toy in Japan, they're paying Tatsunoko for a license to do so, not Harmony Gold. Same expectations there.

Strange, though, that the Shadow Beta and Marcus' Alpha are up at BBTS and not Robotech.com. Maybe someone has their signals crossed.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ah...so, it's not like Toynami was "commissioned" to make HG's toys for them? You're saying it was a more active role on Toynami's part: they sought the toy license and were thus in charge of marketing?

I figured HG had a more control in the venture since they were doing direct sales from their website and making all the new product announcements. Plus, I assumed they hooked Toynami up with Tatsunoko/Aoshima (including the rebranding from Robotech to Mospeada).

I guess Toynami's a bigger player than I thought! Well, anyway...I find all this shit pretty interesting. At the end of the day, all I'm hoping for is a flawless Toynami Alpha/Beta set...and what the hell: a Shadow Chronicles tv series (I didn't like the movie, but it'd be nice just to know Robotech was back on the air!).
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Ah...so, it's not like Toynami was "commissioned"
> to make HG's toys for them?

No. I've never heard of a licensing deal that works this way. The toy company (or other licensee) pays the IP holder for the privilege of making products based on their characters.

> You're saying it was a
> more active role on Toynami's part: they sought
> the toy license and were thus in charge of
> marketing?

That's the way it works when anyone wants to produce a licensed product.

> I figured HG had a more control in the venture
> since they were doing direct sales from their
> website and making all the new product
> announcements.

No, Harmony Gold just has an online store where they sell their licensees' products.

> Plus, I assumed they hooked Toynami
> up with Tatsunoko/Aoshima (including the
> rebranding from Robotech to Mospeada).

I don't know who contacted whom, but in order to sell a MOSPEADA toy in Japan you need a license from Tatsunoko. Harmony Gold has nothing to do with it.
Turns out just making toys from a franchise that's stagnant on two shores doesn't generate instant sales.

who knew
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hey, good enough for me...and good enough to warrant a Maia Beta.

What are the other Shadow Chronicles' main characters' mecha color schemes. I wasn't really feeling the dark grey/purple of Maia's machine...I presume some of the other schemes are cooler...
The Marcus one has the blue one's head (I think) on a shadow Fighter body, and it's dark grey and light grey. I like it. I think every other fighter in the movie is the same color as Marcus'.
I believe JoshB quoted George Sohn as saying the Shadow Beta would NOT be produced because of overall poor Beta sales. So why a pre-order has now appeared on BBTS is puzzling. Maybe they changed their mind or BBTS is jumping the gun and many preordering fans will soon be disappointed.
glane21 Wrote:
> BBTS is jumping the gun and
> many preordering fans will soon be disappointed.

It is not the first time they did this. I got zurgled when I preordered the Maz head and Hover Pileder. They apologized, of course, and blamed Diamond.
BBTS should learn to never base facts on the multi-faceted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2010 02:02PM by RainBot.
BBTS still has some stuff on preorder that's been there for YEARS. Only buy from BBTS when they have the item you want in stock.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
that aspect of BBTS is something I really hate. I'm probably never going to get that Draias figure.
The Gundam EMSIA Nu and Sazabi are still listed as preorders when HLJ got their stock and sold through on those toys years ago. I swear, sometimes BBTS's stuff just falls off the boat and they never realize.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
I didn't mean to start a tirade against BBTS. They have come though awesomely for most things. The DCD blame was entirely justified.

Keeping track of stock, especially when you deal with such large and diverse lines is really hard. But they also make very bad decisions on the technology that they use to do it.

DCD's system is FUBAR. I am surprised they are still in business.
"I didn't mean to start a tirade against BBTS."

Me neither.

I wish they'd made a Revoltech Legioss.
No worries... I just gave BBTS hundreds of dollars in Iron Man preorders, but it's worth noting that their import preorders aren't always as smooth.

[prometheusrising.net]
Toynami made super-poseable Legioss toys. I think they're pretty good.
MattAlt (Admin)
Nowhere near as super-posable as these classics, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 09:34AM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - inbit.jpg (260.2 KB)
RainBot Wrote:
>
> DCD's system is FUBAR. I am surprised they are
> still in business.

Having a virtually monopoly on every comic book store in the country doesn't hurt their bottom line. I have always hated the way Diamond does business. "Hey if you don't carry X number of this thing that we bought too much of (no nobody wants to buy anyway) then we won't let you have any of Y despite the fact that your customers are clamoring for more of Y," is a pretty lousy way of doing business...Have you ever noticed that most of all of the comic book stores throughout the country are the same on the inside...and to be honest between DCD and Sideshow internet shops are beginning to take on that "sameness"...I don't blame BBTS hey at least they aren't charging for preorders...anyway...carry on...
It'd be cool if some quality company would make a more articulated version of that red Invid mech in addition to other Invid aka Inbit mecha.

I don't mean insane articulation, I just mean improved articulation.
The Matchbox Invid was pretty damn good considering it was the "only" Invid toy ever. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Toynami vinyl was of the Invid variety, at least until they get to the Glaug.
Are you refereing to the reddish colored Invid toy Matchbox made years ago?

If yes, I have that one stowed away somewhere. I also have a purplish one with an openable "cockpit" hatch.

For the time, Yep those where quite good. The reminder is much appreciated.
Got the Red Matchbox Inbid scout & 2 of the purple Inbid shock troopers (open cockpit) & also would like to see someone give these Inbid mecha`s some retooling love.
The could do with finer detail & more articulation. Whilst they were at it they could do the Inbid humonoid sentry one`s (a little taller than a human) too.
I'd like to see a toy of this guy, especially the pink and black version (not shown on here).

[www.mahq.net]

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
@vincent Z. Oh hell yea forgot those too.

TBH I`d like to see a new line of ultra detailed & articulated 1/18th scaled Mospeada/Macross/Souther Cross figures, vehicles, mecha (well we can dream) & accessories.

CM Corps certainly off in the right direction as i loe these guys & Still had NO issues overall (certainly no breakages bar the windshields) but for those who hated the fiddley bits, well maybe more robust construction for them?
Be nice to see CM Corp bring something new to the Brave Riders line with articulation. If not a new "player".

Hell I`d go for some loose, battered old Gakken 1/20 cyclones just to utilize for some projects.
Anonymous User
Eager Kawaii!

[wildcats.pupui.jp]
B00
Finally got my hands on a Beagle mospeada (well the toynami release anyway). It's a great toy more or less, there's some floppiness during the transformation but it seems solid in both modes. Dose anyone know if there is a difference in quality between the JP release and the US version?

Great, the picture is sideways...stupid phone camera....

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2010 12:30AM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - 2010-10-30 13.50.09.jpg (124.6 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
No quality difference...just different head.

I got one of these (from Andrew!)...but I've been too busy to enroll in the online degree program needed to transform the thing! :P
B00
Yeah took a good hour to figure it out. But once you get the transformation down it goes pretty quick.

Mospeada done as Halo it looks like...

More serious than thou
Super late question, but did anyone else get the saddlebags for the Megahouse releases way back when? I assembled mine last night, but there doesn't seem to be any way for them to actually ATTACH.

[prometheusrising.net]
Finall got around to getting the Aoshima Legioss' and Tread's, nothing really to add since everybody knows how these turned out. Sorry for the bad pictures.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0930.jpg (153.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_0935.jpg (244.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_0937.jpg (159.8 KB)
MattAlt (Admin)
Sad news to report: Beagle has gone out of business. No more 1/10 Ride Armors...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer