[RUMBLE] MoreSpeeda!

Posted by MattAlt 
Sanjeev (Admin)
"Elljay's Production", huh?

*Sigh*...I suppose it'd be too old-fogey of me to bitch about Tim Brisko-biters at this point...

I think it looks good--I'd prefer this to the Megahouse version if there's no part-swapping or ridiculous disassembly in order to transform it.
That's my main concern about the MegaHouse one. The thing looks fantastic, but when I saw the transformation video I pretty much recoiled in horror at the Lego nature of the thing. The end result on both modes looks good, but the process to get there virtually guarantees that I would NEVER play with the thing.

I'm sure the CM's will require a couple of parts being removed (such is the nature of the mech), but it's apparently 'perfect transformation', so parts removal should be limited.
I get what you all mean about the part swapping, but I still think it makes a very sharp looking action figure. I love the proportions when it's in robot mode.

CM's still looks to be the best for overall toy value so far.
gotta get em all!
CM's Corp Mospeada from 2chan:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 12:22AM by Scopedog.
Attachments:
open | download - 1201671919496.jpg (232.9 KB)
open | download - 1201672143600.jpg (336.2 KB)
open | download - 1201674490189.jpg (438 KB)
open | download - 1201703297529.jpg (212.8 KB)
one more
Attachments:
open | download - 1201706024810.jpg (210.6 KB)
I like the different approaches... Megahouse aiming for a more realistic finish, CM's continuing with the Big Time '90s toy aesthetic. I'm going to enjoy these a lot more than the headaches over the Beta/TLEAD. :-)
I'm very tempted, but...early word from SaveRobotech at Macrossworld is that they're delicate, on par with model kits. Keeping in mind these are about the size of a GI Joe action figure...
I would expect almost anything this size to be delicate, regardless of how it's built. I'd call THS02 Convoy delicate but he's still built really well and not 'breakable'.
Sanjeev (Admin)
GI Joe's weren't delicate. :P
Their thumbs, crotches and rubber bands beg to differ. :p :p :p
Anybody know why HLJ has removed all trace of the CM's Mospeada stuff?

At Frank and Son's (a local toy swap meet) a guy stated that he couldn't get the CM's due to licensing restraints. I'm wondering if we're looking at another Yamato 1/60 Valkyrie issue - the same thing happened to them until Yamato opened a US office.
Hey, Chirico, are you in the LA area? I live in San Diego.
Anonymous User
I guess that little rod propping up the armored figure from the back is where it gets the name "Stick Type", huh?

I don't like it. The detail & toy-like quality are appealing, but all the parts in that scale just seem to have the overly-fiddly quality that has turned me off of the new Microman figures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 01:08PM by AcroRay.
Anonymous User
Everything is still there as far as I can tell.

[www.hlj.com]
eriku Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would expect almost anything this size to be
> delicate, regardless of how it's built. I'd call
> THS02 Convoy delicate but he's still built really
> well and not 'breakable'.

Yeah, and I sold my THS02 Convoy the day after I bought it, is how much I appreciated it as a toy. The thing was fiddly as hell.
I wasn't aware fiddly and delicate were the same thing, but pretending they are, it's still a matter of interpretation. I don't find THS02 Convoy that fiddly in general, but compared to a G1 version of him, sure. It could be argued that transforming toys are fiddly by nature. I wouldn't make that argument, but I know some people would.
eriku Wrote:
> I wasn't aware fiddly and delicate were the same
> thing,

You'd be surprised what you can find in a dictionary:

1) Fiddly-- fussy; requiring an annoying amount of close attention.
2) Delicate-- requiring careful handling; easily unsettled or upset

Not the same thing, though near in connotation. Anyway, I wasn't using fiddly as a synonym for delicate. I was using it as a synonym for fiddly.

> it's still a matter of interpretation...I wouldn't make that argument, but I
> know some people would.

Doesn't this go without saying?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 04:10PM by gingaio.
Overall I don't really care if this thing is 'fiddly' or 'delicate' as long as it isn't crumbly like a Toynami toy. It's also nice that it doesn't have to be broken down to a molecular level to transform.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 04:51PM by eriku.
Scopedog Wrote:
> CM's Corp Mospeada from 2chan:

Thanks for posting those pics! They have aided greatly in making up my mind. Aoshima it is!

"90s aesthetic"? Drifand, seriously, thats like saying fat people are Rubenesque... :)
It must have been some site maintenance that I caught them doing.

EDIT

Actually, if you go and look up CM's or Mospeada in the latest or future releases they still don't show up. That link works but it's to the advanced search function. It's not the issue I feared, but a little sloppy html on their part.

Yeah I'm in the L.A. Area. If you're here on a Saturday or Wednesday, I recommend you check out Frank's, you can pick up most import stuff days after it comes out for a few dollars over the Yen price, with no sales tax, cash only of course. They have the Aoshima Legioss (Legiae?) for $65 total, for that it may be worth it. Revoltechs for a flat $19-$22 are great too, I just grabbed a Helldiver last night.

Getting back on-topic, the booth runners don't seem to know about these so I was pointing them to HLJ - since it's the easiest URL to give out - making their disappearance a little embarrassing to me.

I still like the MH more, Perfect Mounting and Real Change are nice, but for this scale and price it's form over function. And neither version is accurate in transformation so comparing how off one is over the other is sort of moot. Maybe SHE could pull it off, but then it would be half the size and 10x as much money.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 06:21PM by Chirico Cuvie.
Well, here's the review by SaveRobotech at Macrossworld:

"Well what you see is what you get really. For the price it's an iffy buy. You will be disappointed at first, then frustrated then like an ugly puppy dog it starts to grow on you once you stat posing it . The toys best mode is armor mode if you want to play with it, in bike mode it looks nice but doesn't roll well or at all. The front end of the bike is the toys weakest point of design. The shocks mount to the front via removable pegs that are either too short or don't stay in the slots to keep the front end stable. If you are like me you can look around your room or old model kits and make it work. If you are a display kind of guy it's nice but if you are looking to go into a GIJoe battle in the back yard you just bought yourself a lemon.

"My verdict is I like it don't love it but I'll keep it, but if the MG delivers I'm not going to need this guy."

Still tempted, but much less so now. Too many choices...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2008 01:24AM by gingaio.
Chirico Cuvie Wrote:
> It must have been some site maintenance that I
> caught them doing.
>
> EDIT
>
> Actually, if you go and look up CM's or Mospeada
> in the latest or future releases they still don't
> show up. That link works but it's to the advanced
> search function. It's not the issue I feared, but
> a little sloppy html on their part.
>

Finding stuff on HLJ has always, as Bender would say, required, "some grace...some finesse..." I can't be the only one who randomly searches through their site looking for things that just don't show up with a regular or advanced search?
How big will the Toynami one be again?

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
B00
My Cm's ride armor just shipped from HLJ. They seem to have confused the two different types. They have the Ley version listed as the Stick type and vice versa. I hope they sent the right one. I ordered stick.

Mine are on the way too, from angolz.
Just stumbled on this in an older part of the Megahouse site.

[www.megahobby.jp]

Down near the bottom are the various small arms from the series. The pain in the ass is they are mail-away. Anyone here have a source that we all can go through?
Going back to the Aoshima Legioss for a second...

I picked one up on a whim - *big* mistake. It's an okay design, but the build is crap: nothing fits right, parts are pulling away where they shouldn't, and every joint is so tight it gives you the I'm-not-sure-if-that-part's-supposed-to-move willies.

Worst of all, though, one of the rear landing gear bits is the wrong part (I have a port gear in the starboard well) so the assembly won't even swing out.

I'm willing to assume that I got a rare dud, because other Aoshima toys I've purchased have been quite good. Is there any way to get this one exchanged or fixed? Do they have a US distributor? Or am I out of luck?
Inverarity Wrote:
> Going back to the Aoshima Legioss for a second...
>
> I picked one up on a whim - *big* mistake. It's
> an okay design, but the build is crap: nothing
> fits right, parts are pulling away where they
> shouldn't, and every joint is so tight it gives
> you the
> I'm-not-sure-if-that-part's-supposed-to-move
> willies.
>
> Worst of all, though, one of the rear landing gear
> bits is the wrong part (I have a port gear in the
> starboard well) so the assembly won't even swing
> out.
>
> I'm willing to assume that I got a rare dud,
> because other Aoshima toys I've purchased have
> been quite good. Is there any way to get this one
> exchanged or fixed? Do they have a US
> distributor? Or am I out of luck?

Sadly most of the Aoshimas have suffered from defects, even more so than the Toynami version. I bought an Aoshima from BBTS a month ago hoping I'd get a 'good' one and it was basically the absolute worst toy I've ever handled. It had so many misshapen parts, chips, bent pieces and mis-assembled parts that it was like a knock-off. I had heard that Aoshima isn't offering assistance to customers from outside Japan so I emailed Toynami (the original producer of this toy) detailing my problems (with photos), and asked if there was anything they could do. Never heard back from them, so I contacted BBTS asking if I could get an exchange and they actually offered me a full refund. Found out BBTS actually backs up every toy they sell and will give you a refund if you're not happy with it. I decided I didn't want to play Toynami Roulette again and asked for my refund in store credit.

I'm fairly certain CM's Legioss will suit me just fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2008 09:13PM by eriku.
eriku Wrote:
> Found out BBTS actually backs up
> every toy they sell and will give you a refund if
> you're not happy with it. I decided I didn't want
> to play Toynami Roulette again and asked for my
> refund in store credit.

Outstanding- one more reason to do business with BBTS. I doubt the place I bought from will do the same, but I'll give it a try.
Even from a Japanese company, that toy was fated for failure.

Really, I think the design benefits from a larger scale. Doesn't even have to be a large as the Gakken. Might be just the shoddy materials, and with toys like these you'll need high tolerances for it to work properly.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Yeah, I was surprised how accommodating they were. They gave me 4 choices:
Keep the toy and take $25 store credit
Return it for an exchange
Return it for a refund to my card
Return it for a refund in store credit.

I hadn't sent them an angry email either, nor did I ask for any of that. I had just emailed them to inform them of the problems with this toy and asked if they had any contact with Toynami or Aoshima.

Inverarity, maybe you should mention BBTS's customer service to the shop you bought your Aoshima from. Spark some competition. :)
I just got mine yesterday here in Singapore, 53USD each.
It's true, they are very fiddly!
Even when following the instructions carefully, it's very easy to get things wrong. Many of the flip-out panels and struts are FRAGILE, held together with just a tiny pin.

I managed to break the 'windshield' on both my bikes... the first was snapped in the box, the second I simply broke off so that I could glue them in place more securely.

I consider myself lucky that I have owned and played with the large Gakken ride armor... the intricate transformation and need to position/re-position delicate flaps can be nerve wrecking for 'newbies'. The white rotating plastic strut for attaching the 'hip armor' has to be 'manhandled' to slip over the diecast rear armature for bike mode.

Overall, it's really quite an amazing piece of work. I love the detailing for Bernard and Ley's faces. I love the IDEA of these being perfect transformation AND in-scale to my Micro-Action DMZ VOTOMS. But these are too delicate for simple playing.

I'll still keep them but I'm already hoping the Megahouse version will be more fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2008 12:40PM by drifand.
How are the joints on the figure?
and how stable is the armor once its on the figure?
Pony's review is up.

[pony-hp4.web.infoseek.co.jp]

He seems a bit miffed.
Is PONY-san ever happy? :D

OK, my take on the joints and armor:

- Arms: nice 'n' tight around shoulders and elbows, loose around the upper arm and forearm swivels.

- Head: Pivoted ball joint. Good enough. You can 'raise' the head a bit higher in armor mode for look-around poses.

- Hips/Knees/Ankles: Angled-pivoting ball joint. Think 'revoltech' without the clickety-clicks. Looks fragile but does the job fine. The support strut/stand helps alot. NOTE: You have to cheat with the thighs to ride the bike, i.e. rotate them 'crazily' to find the best clearance. Just like the dynamically 'impossible' contortions for most Rvt figures.

- Armor: Once you get the upper body armor configured right, it stays in place alright. The fiddly parts are the L/R chest plates (easy to pop out of position), and the waist armor. Although the waist armor comes with 'canon' knee-joint attachments, it only restricts the poseability, IMO.

Another fiddly part: The gun hand. It holds onto the gun just fine but comes off the wrist joint too easily.

Overall, I am pleased to have such a realistically produced figure that looks fantastic on display next to my DMZ votoms. But it's definitely not fun having to worry about fragile flaps and pin-joints if you want to play with it on a regular basis.

The funny thing is, I wouldn't BOTHER buying a similar sized Revoltech (or equivalent) ride armor figure. It was definitely the thrill of knowing it transforms accurately that made me buy-in. Perhaps the Megahouse will turn out to be the perfect compromise between accuracy and playability.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2008 12:59PM by drifand.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> "Elljay's Production", huh?
>
> *Sigh*...I suppose it'd be too old-fogey of me to
> bitch about Tim Brisko-biters at this point...
>
> I think it looks good--I'd prefer this to the
> Megahouse version if there's no part-swapping or
> ridiculous disassembly in order to transform it.

You know after re-watching the Megahouse vid there really is not much more part swapping than the original Gaiken toy. the rear arms and front wheel covers had to be removed on the original Gaiken as well. The only things that are new to the removal process are the handlebars (and adjusting the handlebar housing), front shock absorbers and popping the head off to get it into the ride armor mode ( a fair trade off for how it looks when done).

I think I will be a bit disappointed by the CM's when mine come based on the early reviews I am seeing here. I will be happy with the Megahouse one as long as it's sturdy in both modes when done. :)
Anonymous User
I don't mind the parts swapping and from the pictures and video the megahouse looks quite good. Like atom says, a stable good looking toy is what I would prefer I don't mind if a little bit of parts swapping is necessary to get there. I've got the Stick type on order. Any idea on when in the month these are supposed to come out?
Anavel Wrote:
> I don't mind the parts swapping and from the
> pictures and video the megahouse looks quite good.
> Like atom says, a stable good looking toy is what
> I would prefer I don't mind if a little bit of
> parts swapping is necessary to get there. I've
> got the Stick type on order. Any idea on when in
> the month these are supposed to come out?

Looks to be sometime this month. :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer