[RUMBLE] MoreSpeeda!

Posted by MattAlt 
Anonymous User
This is strange - the new pics of the Toynami/Aoshima Ride Armor's starting to get me slightly more excited than the Megahouse one. I think it stems from the fact the bike's not under-sized and the figure can actually rest his feet on the bike pedals. Plus - it's made of 'miracle alloy'! The way it's supposed to be.

Looks like I may end up buying all 3 Bike armors next year. I'll probably end up completing the series I prefer the most.
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ;)
>
> For real, man! My freebase habits notwithstanding,
> check out that lunch-eating-Rei pic Matt posted!
> Brotha looks like he's sitting with his back to a
> fucking Powerwheels!

The bike does look a little on the small size, though it looks like Megahouse was sacrificing bike scale for the ride armor anime look. Like others have said in the thread I am most likely to display them in ride armor mode then bike mode. Otherwise I think they look wicked and I am glad I got a preorder in before HLJ stop taking them. I just hope there is some diecast on it but Megahouse web site only mentions ABS plastic. $50 seems high for a 5 inch tall figure. But I'm in regardless. :)

As for the other makers of the Ride Armor.... odds are being such a fan of this mecha and knowing the product wave won't last long I will probably get most of them with the Toynami/Aoshima version being the one I am hesitant about just because of the rep there already. Then again if folks say its decent here I will probably grab that one to. :)

As far as Alpha and Beta fighters go... I am staying the hell away from the Toynami/Aoshima even if they do produce a Beta (which I doubt.) The CM Corp version is a no-brainer (baring a sudden downward spike in QC which is not likely to happen) and will gladly pay the higher price a set like that is no doubt going to run.

Now if CM Corp would do up one of the Hovertanks from Southern Cross I'd be a happy fanboy.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh, if anyone did a hovertank, I'd lose my mind!

Anyway, back to Mospeada...a lot of people use the "I'll only display it in X mode" argument, and that's fair...but for me, personally, it'd be tough to have a toy that's meant to transform, while knowing that one of it's modes is so...off.

I mean, it's certainly not *that* terrible...and who knows--the Megahouse may still end up being the best of the three. We'll see what happens.

...And I think by now everyone's in agreement about the Toynami versus CM's Legioss-TLEAD debate!

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Heh, if anyone did a hovertank, I'd lose my mind!
>
> Anyway, back to Mospeada...a lot of people use the
> "I'll only display it in X mode" argument, and
> that's fair...but for me, personally, it'd be
> tough to have a toy that's meant to transform,
> while knowing that one of it's modes is so...off.
>
> I mean, it's certainly not *that* terrible...and
> who knows--the Megahouse may still end up being
> the best of the three. We'll see what happens.
>
> ...And I think by now everyone's in agreement
> about the Toynami versus CM's Legioss-TLEAD
> debate!

I mean they don't look THAT small, do they? Now I have to crack my copies of Mospeada and get to watching. Need to see how they look in the cartoon now...I'll get back to you. :)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, if I recall correctly, I'm pretty sure the bikes seemed bigger in the cartoon...but my concern isn't necessarily cartoon-accuracy.

I'm more interested in a cool-looking toy!

For example, check out the pic of Rei on his bike again:

I mean, his knees almost scrape the ground! That pic gives me the impression that he's an adult trying to stoop down and sit on a child's tricycle!

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
His knees are scraping the ground because they're trying to recreate the knees scraping the ground scene from the opening.
DO YOU REMEMBER THAT OL LULLABY
Sure does LOOK like a toy. For $50+ it really shouldn't, though. And at a $50 price, I'd be surprised if it's got the sturdiness of a toy. I'd guess looks like a toy, plays like a collector's item. I'd probably be willing to shell out at $30 for one of these, but I'm sure that won't stop the hordes from buying these guys.
Anonymous User
Would you rather pay upwards of 100 dollars for the toynami version? or wait for a Yamato version, pay 200 dollars and have it break apart in your hands.

50 dollars seems like a pretty good deal to me. For a nice looking figure. Especially when Megahouse is charging almost 3500 yen for a palm action figure.
Sanjeev (Admin)
VF5SS Wrote:
> His knees are scraping the ground because they're
> trying to recreate the knees scraping the ground
> scene from the opening.

Well...yeah. Or any time a motorcycle rider leans his or her bike down into a hard knee slide.

Still, if you're gonna go by the animation, the photo above of the toy doesn't even particularly emulate this well:

The bike is barely leaning in the photo...and his knee's already hitting the ground. Anyway, I still think it just looks way too small...regardless of whether you're going by cartoon standards or by real-life motorcycles.

As for the issue of pricing and "toy vs. collectible", I'm not sure where I stand on it. Like, I'm not that concerned if a toy looks like one or the other--my imagination is more than adequate to make up for clunky proportions and exposed screw holes! [...Though, ironically, NOT enough to make up for bikes that appear way too small! ;)]

The thing is, recent history has shown that the trend of "collectibles" since the 90's has resulted in toys that don't tend to be as robust as playthings (as opposed to as display pieces).

So, when it comes to Megahouse's Mospeada, I don't mind the joints on the figures and other "toy-looking" characteristics. If it weren't for the size of the bike, it would be fine for me. $50 is great, given the MARKET. ...As long as it plays well!

In fact, $50 would be pretty amazing if the toy were rugged and had solid joints and whatnot!

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2007 11:34AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - mospeada1.jpg (129.4 KB)
open | download - mospeada2.jpg (83.1 KB)
These turned up today on CollectionDX. Cm's Mospeada's. Apparently due in December. Looking good. :)
Attachments:
open | download - 00198.jpg (41.7 KB)
open | download - 00199.jpg (36.6 KB)
The only thing about CMS is it's Microman sized and about $60.00. Seriously?
The CMs Ride Armors look fantastic. I want to say the price tag is too high, but this is CMs we're talking about and I've never seen a CMs toy with a rational price tag.

Regarless, I'm in for at least one. Anyone offering preorders yet?
MattAlt (Admin)
Ironically, none of the stuff we grew up collecting was particularly "anime accurate" and we loved it anyway!

Bitch about price/size all ya want, but "realism?" "Accuracy?" HA! Dangerous road ahead there, guys. Nothing but blue blue rain in your soul that way.

'Cause if ya ask me, the CM's design is a quantum leap ahead of the LAST round of Ride Armor toys in this scale. I don't think it'd be possible for a human to WALK in those clunky-ass boots, let alone ride a motorcycle...!
Personally, I think CMs's Robotech cyclone is way too green. And I don't care if it was green in the cartoon, but bikes are not supposed to be green. Fast bikes, anyway.
gingaio Wrote:
> Personally, I think CMs's Robotech cyclone is way
> too green. And I don't care if it was green in the
> cartoon, but bikes are not supposed to be green.
> Fast bikes, anyway.

Well, good thing it's not either 'robotech' or a 'cyclone' then, innit? :)

I'm really conflicted on this actually. It's impressive what they're managing to do in this size, but there's a couple of details that are bugging me.

1. The handlebars shouldn't be sticking out of the 'gas tank', they should be inside the shrouds that become the shoulder armor. There IS one early drawing, where the ride armor looked like it had 'Garland' blood in it and the handles are attached at the tank, but as that was a discarded design I wouldn't consider it canon.

2. The saddlebags seem to be too low to me. I thought they were connected to the back 'overhang' of the bike but looking at the only Mospeada ref I have (that lovely B-Club mook on Artmic) I see they *were* attached to the 'thigh armor/chainguard' part, so, guess I gotta live with that.

It's pretty pricy, hopefully the QC is up to snuff and it's not a curse carried over from Aoshima...
SteveH Wrote:
> gingaio Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Personally, I think CMs's Robotech cyclone is
> way
> > too green. And I don't care if it was green in
> the
> > cartoon, but bikes are not supposed to be
> green.
> > Fast bikes, anyway.
>
> Well, good thing it's not either 'robotech' or a
> 'cyclone' then, innit? :)
>
????

Whatchu' talkin' 'bout, SteveH?

I was iffy about buying these because they're green instead of purple with blue thunderbolts on the sides. I'm definitely not buying these if they aren't officially licensed Robotech Harmony Gold CMs products.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2007 11:43PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - arnold_jackson.jpg (30 KB)
Anonymous User
[toyboxdx.com]

I seem to see the word 'Brave' tagged alongside the 1/18 Ride Armors. Are these part of the Brave Gokin line? if so, that would probably justify the 6,300Y tag.

OMG, the CM's Ride Armors are looking sweeter by the minute. I can hardly contain my excitement. These are a MUST for me - but I'm still deciding if I should get the Megahouse & Aoshima ones as well.
SteveH Wrote:

> 1. The handlebars shouldn't be sticking out of the
> 'gas tank', they should be inside the shrouds that
> become the shoulder armor. There IS one early
> drawing, where the ride armor looked like it had
> 'Garland' blood in it and the handles are attached
> at the tank, but as that was a discarded design I
> wouldn't consider it canon.

I can live with the handle bars sticking out where they do on the bike, no complaints there, and it looks nice and playable. The only problem I see is with the fighter, where the knees don't seem to tuck in very well in Armo Fighter mode. The mounting boom on the Tlead is kind of unsightly too, but seems to be necessary to compensate for anime magic involved in mating the two pieces, so I guess I can live with that. Overall, it looks like CMs is getting my money as far as Mospeada goes... Some in scale vinyl Init baddies would rawk too. Next I wish they'd get the rights for Orguss, do the whole line up in the brave line, and did the whole thing in scale with their Patlabor merch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2007 12:16AM by Warrhead.
I'm really uncertain of which ride armour to get, I think it'd probably be best to wait untill either Megahouse or CM's shows off the other two bikes and then see which company has the best looking set all told.
I'll probably get all of them in the long run, minus the Toynami which is likely to have leprosy, but I'll definitely start with CMs Ride Armor. I love the overall look of it, and I prefer the molded green plastic to the paint on MegaHouse.

Wish we could see Beagle's already...
Oooooooh... I'm liking CM's

[www.toyskingdom.com.hk]
eriku Wrote:
> Wish we could see Beagle's already...

I thought we had determined that Beagle = Megahouse.
Anonymous User
Fort Max, if they're all based on the same mould, wouldn't we already have some idea which company would have the best looking set, regardless whatever color variant?

Eeeek..!! I just saw the blow-up CM's pics. THEY LOOK AWESOME! Gosh. The figures look like a cool fusion of Microman and Revoltech (check out the hip & knee ball joints). I can already fantasize the ride armors on my Mircoman figures. I wonder how this will look like posed next to my (pre-ordered) Merowlink & Sidebike.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2007 08:35PM by Amuro-Ray.
Amuro-Ray Wrote:
> Eeeek..!!

See? 'at's what I'm talkin'bout.
Amuro-Ray Wrote:
> Fort Max, if they're all based on the same mould,
> wouldn't we already have some idea which company
> would have the best looking set, regardless
> whatever color variant?
>
> Eeeek..!! I just saw the blow-up CM's pics. THEY
> LOOK AWESOME! Gosh. The figures look like a cool
> fusion of Microman and Revoltech (check out the
> hip & knee ball joints). I can already fantasize
> the ride armors on my Mircoman figures. I wonder
> how this will look like posed next to my
> (pre-ordered) Merowlink & Sidebike.

Yellow and Houquets bikes are different though, as I recall they have completely different fronts (fairings?) with yellows having missiles and Houquets being a little reminiscent of boobies. As wellas different weapons not to mention I want to see which company turns out teh better figures of those two or has the better accessories.
Well there's no doubt about it now. I am getting both the Megahouse and the CM versions of the Mospeadas.

Knowing the quality of some of the previous Brave series robots, CM's version should be sweet. There size is a bit small but at a Star Wars Figure scale it will still be highly playable toy and still look very nice on the desk/shelf. I must say the proportions and detail are quite good from what we can see, very impressive engineering. I hope the final goods deliver.

I am hoping the stand pictured in some of those shots is included and wondering if the head can look up so when on the bike riding they can be looking forward like the Megahouse versions. Checking HLJ daily for pre-order. :)

Sanjeev wrote
----------------------------------------
>So, when it comes to Megahouse's Mospeada, I don't mind the joints on the figures >and other "toy-looking" characteristics. If it weren't for the size of the bike, >it would be fine for me. $50 is great, given the MARKET. ...As long as it plays >well!

I completely agree about the price as long as it's playable. To many recent toys have been a "look don't touch" approach to them. I'm not convinced the bike is to small.... I really thing it's the way they are posing the figures and not necessarily the scale of the bike. The figures look like there designed to "hug" the gas tank, which they are not doing in these promo pics and the bike is missing the foot pegs for the riders feet so we haven't seen the squat/ride position they assume in the series. The figures look like they would support the pose.

As for checking it against the anime, well that's a crap shoot. I'm about half way through the series and sometimes it looks like the bike is small enough to pick up and hold at chest level (as Rei does in the first episode lol) to a slightly beefier look in later episodes. The bike comes across as a smaller scale street bike (think an 80's Honda) than a crotch rocket in the cartoon.

Either way, I'm grabbing a set and believe me my friend, I will get all the hands on info out to the masses as quickly as HLJ can get both the Megahouse and CM Brave sets into my greedy little hands. :)
I've already ordered the Megahouse versions, which, at 1/15 are excellent for display next to my SOP Kaneda's bike as well as some of my Trans-Armor Kamen Riders. However, the CM's are also mighty appealing, and I do believe I'll be getting those 1/18 ride armors as well. Whichever plays best will stay on the shelf :-)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Right on. Yes, bike proportions aside, the real test of "Which Mospeada is Mightiest?" will be playability, in my opinion. It's kinda funny: the Megahouse is 1/15, which isn't that much bigger than CM's' (at 1/18)...yet it seems much more detailed.

...Then again, that could just be a misconception based on all the exposed screws on the CM's Mospeada and the fact that none of the pics of the CM's show the figures unhelmeted faces.

Can't wait to see how these guys stack up!

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave
Notice from those CMs pics that the right thigh armor is black instead of green like the left thigh armor and the rest of the bike. Hope they are not leaving it that way on the finished product.

Also they consistently put the Rei figure with Stick's armor and vice versa. I would have paid closer attention when doing promo shots if it were my product.
glane21 Wrote:
> Notice from those CMs pics that the right thigh
> armor is black instead of green like the left
> thigh armor and the rest of the bike. Hope they
> are not leaving it that way on the finished
> product.

I think the black is prototype plastic. The prototype Legioss is the same color and you couldn't possibly believe that CM's will release it that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2007 01:39PM by Scopedog.
I wonder if any of them can manage the folded-up-into-a-box mode.
Here's some official Mospeada art for you all to scrutinize
Attachments:
open | download - Mospeada.gif (158.9 KB)
HLJ Now has CM's Brave Gokin Mospeada's up for preorder. :)
Wait, is the Megahouse one the same scale as the Yamato Garland?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
1/15 for both. That really tempts me, But I want to actually see side by side pics before getting either. I believe Yamato's Motoslave is supposed to be 1/15 too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2007 06:19PM by Warrhead.
It's going to be a 1/15 Shinji Aramaki transforming motorcycle orgy.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Ginrai Wrote:
> It's going to be a 1/15 Shinji Aramaki
> transforming motorcycle orgy.

Nothing hotter than that.
Warrhead Wrote:
> Ginrai Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's going to be a 1/15 Shinji Aramaki
> > transforming motorcycle orgy.
>
>
> Nothing hotter than that.

Priss and her mecha friend have yet to arrive. ;)
Sanjeev Wrote:

> As for the issue of pricing and "toy vs.
> collectible", I'm not sure where I stand on it.
> Like, I'm not that concerned if a toy looks like
> one or the other--my imagination is more than
> adequate to make up for clunky proportions and
> exposed screw holes! [...Though, ironically, NOT
> enough to make up for bikes that appear way too
> small! ;)]
>
> The thing is, recent history has shown that the
> trend of "collectibles" since the 90's has
> resulted in toys that don't tend to be as robust
> as playthings (as opposed to as display pieces).
>
> So, when it comes to Megahouse's Mospeada, I don't
> mind the joints on the figures and other
> "toy-looking" characteristics. If it weren't for
> the size of the bike, it would be fine for me. $50
> is great, given the MARKET. ...As long as it plays
> well!
>
> In fact, $50 would be pretty amazing if the toy
> were rugged and had solid joints and whatnot!

I totally agree with you on that Sanjeev. If a "collectible figure" means it costs ten times as much as a toy figure and breaks upon looking at it, I'll take the toy thanks.

But as far as the ride armor goes..
I don't see what's making some of you guys all excited about the CM version? I'm looking at the two pics side by side right now, and..well, I guess if you aren't into detailed sculpt or color, and you like a smaller, semi transparent plastic look, then the CM version is right for you. CM's ride armor could turn out to possibly be better in quality, but beyond that I can't see anything about it that looks near as good as the Megahouse version.

Even with the bike being just a little small, I'll take it. Everything else about it looks really good to me, and the details are excellent. And I'm definitely not going to complain about the price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2007 08:53PM by xiombarg.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer