CM's Corporation Legioss/TLEAD.

Posted by Roger 
Darker still!
Attachments:
open | download - Cmsbrave2.jpg (141.9 KB)
Very cool! I don't see a mention of the Tread in the text. Maybe they're going to sell it separately? Anyone got a translation?

I would LOVE to see them tackle the unmanned Dark Legioss.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2008 10:11AM by Roger.
Is the "Jagd Legioss" the same as the unmanned Dark Legioss? That's the one I'd like to get.
Yeah, this is the unmanned Dark Legioss:

[www.mahq.net]

I don't know where "JAGD" came from or what it means.

This is the regular manned Dark Legioss:

[www.mahq.net]

Both of those are a little tougher to render as transforming toys because the modifications to the shoulders, knees, and, in the unmanned one's case, the head, shift things around a little bit.

It's not impossible, of course, but the two designs are dissimilar enough from one another, and you can't reuse the molds three times like you can for the blue/green/red ones. ;p
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know where "JAGD" came from or what it
> means.

Jagd means "hunting" in German and it's a conjugation of jager (hunter). For instance, the Jagd Panther from WWII was a German tank designed to outclass and hunt other tanks, and this theme is often carried into anime when mecha incorporate the prefix (Jagd Mirage from FSS is an overpowered hunter of Mortar Headds, and Jagd Doga is an overpowered Geara Doga). Out of curiousity, does this theme apply to the Jagd Legioss? (my Mospeada/Robotech knowledge is about 20 years out of date)
I guess that's what I was trying to say. I've never seen it referred to as "JAGD" in any of the MOSPEADA source material.
[blogs.yahoo.co.jp]

[blogs.yahoo.co.jp]

Photos of the CMs set.
I'm liking the attention to detail like the turbine fans in the chest but the combination of the two seems well, lazy. Just a metal bar?

Also doesn't seem to be much metal outside of the landing gear and said bar.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sanjeev (Admin)
horrendous.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> horrendous.

I'd have said "meh." Nice pictures, but I'm underwhelmed. Am I getting jaded?

Thanks,
--Ken-A
I can imagine the Yamatoworld comments. I'm actually impressed by it, it ended up better than expected (outside of the already known tail fin issue). Mine is still inbound, but I'm looking forward to it.
These things are tiny.
While they look great as unpainted 80s throwbacks in dire need of "Drifandition", I would love to hear how they compare with the Toynami releases.
That being said, I must say I love the look of the Legioss in fighter mode. The nose is sleek and sharp, and the beta looks wonderful.
Here's hopin'...
Sanjeev (Admin)
"Jaded"? I know I am! :P

I certainly hope I'm wrong, but from these pics, it kinda looks shitty. The feet of the Legioss spread way far apart to make room for the Tlead is just awful. Somehow reminds me of a friggin' duck.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of odd design choices they made that make it look ugly to me. Hope it turns out solid, Chirico.

Honestly, the Toynami version looks pretty flawless to me...but obviously based on the quality of their Alpha, I have little faith in their Beta...
I was close to canceling it when the Toyfair news broke, but I've been left twisting in the wind too many times by Toynami and their promises to count on them following through. I'll end up getting the Toynami one too since I've got their Alpha, but I'm not holding my breath just yet.
The little disappointments do add up. Mospeada is my toy-heartbreak series of 2007/8. The closest I got to this was to heft the box at the local shops. Light as a cream puff.
I like it but for the money there are other things I want more, I'm currently shoring up my SOc collection for instance.
After a brief inspection it is all plastic except for the landing gear and bar. The box is quite large, about the size of the GGG. It has screw hole plugs, a LOT of them. I didn't do more then handle them and place them back in the tray due to time constraints. They shipped them in robot mode, which is unusual considering every other company choosing to ship in jet mode.

There's a pamphlet in the box that points out some important issue with the landing gear, it's not in English but it looks like an addendum to the instructions. Two sticker sheets with dozens of decals.

Paint application is great, no looseness anywhere and overall it looks like it's worth it if you decided to buy it in the first place, meaning no issues pop up that make you regret buying it after you chose to make the plunge.
Anonymous User
Jeez, after their ride armor and now this, I guess the Gohkin in Brave Gohkin doesnt mean a whole lot anymore.

Someone tell CM's that screws dont count.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2008 12:26PM by Anavel.
It looks like a dwarf with a big nose and large feet. It doesn't get any cooler than this. :P
Anavel Wrote:
> Jeez, after their ride armor and now this, I guess
> the Gohkin in Brave Gohkin doesnt mean a whole lot
> anymore.
>
> Someone tell CM's that screws dont count.

This is Brave Gokin EX, maybe the EX means EXcept metal.

It's not just 2 toys, it's 2 different kinds of toys. The Legioss is basically a modern-day High Complete Model--the thin, model-grade plastic, the seeming fragilitiy of the design, the nice sculpt. It's really not as fragile as it may initially feel, however. Then again, it could be with time and wear. For now, though, it's fairly solid.

The TREAD is basically a simple, hefty, plastic toy that can be transformed in about 4 seconds. It's amazing how simple it is (simple being a very good modifier in this case).

Ratchet joints on the hips and knees for both figures. There are also ratchets on the chest turbine thingies for the Legioss, which is a very nice touch, as this is a section that normally would get loose with time. Heads don't turn. Hands on the Legioss struggle to hold the gunpod, which is pretty terrible, but this was the only major flaw.

A few nice details (see the other attached pics), including a storage compartment in fighter mode for one of gashapon-type ride armors (the folded bike).

The transformation for the Legioss is quite simple with one exception...there are tiny hooks on the forward canopy section that are supposed to latch on to a metal bar in transformation to fighter mode, but the hooks are tiny plastic. I was rushing through the transformation in the morning and I didn't want to risk breaking anything.

YMMV, but it's one of my favorite mecha designs from one of my favorite shows. If that weren't the case, I'm not sure I would have this thing.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2008 05:34PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Legioss 1.jpg (59.7 KB)
open | download - Legioss 2.jpg (53.9 KB)
open | download - Legioss 3.jpg (78.1 KB)
open | download - Legioss Tread 4.jpg (210.8 KB)
Awesome. May I ask, do the tiny hooks resolve the issue of the fighter mode not 'locking down' well that some folks have complained about? Does everything stay put securely in fighter mode now?
Oh, man, my green one is going to take forever to get here...

Anyone want to lend me their Tread, just so I can cuddle it for a little bit? I promise I'll give it back eventually.
Shaggydog Wrote:
> Awesome. May I ask, do the tiny hooks resolve the
> issue of the fighter mode not 'locking down' well
> that some folks have complained about? Does
> everything stay put securely in fighter mode now?

To be honest, after messing around with it for some time, I simply couldn't figure out a way for the hooks to physically latch on to the bars (too much distance, too tight a space. (Be careful here also; I managed to scrape off a bit of red paint on the lower corner of the Legioss's face while trying to get those damn hooks in.)

It could just be my ineptness. In any case, if anyone's figured that out, feel free to post here.

You can see in that first picture I attached (the overhead shot) that there are two holes for the canopy section to plug into. Doing that keeps the section in place (somewhat). Something about those hooks, though..that might be the key to locking everything tightly in place.

The only Legioss I had as a kid was the smaller Gakken with the plug-in wings, so in comparison, this one's pretty sweet. It's just a bit of a downer when you compare the Legioss to the far superior TREAD, which is the plastic equivalent of CMs' Macron 1, just an old-fashioned, super-playable toy, sturdy, accurate, and best of all, simple.

It's almost like a Jekyll & Hyde thing with CMs, though I have to say that the Legioss is a nice improvement over the company's previous transforming toys.
As cool as the toy is, it's the price that makes all of the trouble for it. I rationalize it as imagining it's a cool toy from 1987, that was well made but under produced, and goes for eight times what its original price was. Sort of a fake retro toy with real retro pricing.

Maybe it's CM's intentions to try to cash in on the antique toy hobby by pricing stuff of "similar quality" for the same amount as old stuff.

SOC God Marz is very similar to the old one and priced closely as well.
The Tread continues to amaze me. It really is a surprise, mostly because I don't like the design nearly as much as that of the Legioss. But as a toy, wow.

Anyway, one more detail I just discovered--the opening cockpit on the Tread. Also, it has ratchets on the shoulders (Legioss doesn't).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2008 05:19PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Tread 1.jpg (36.9 KB)
open | download - Tread 2.jpg (57.1 KB)
Hah, the pilot gets gobbled!
Cobra!

Seriously, it's cool to actually get to "play" with something that hasn't been done before. The majority of stuff is all redesigns or re-issues that we've handled before at some point, this is all new.

And don't go on about the French ko of the Gakken prototype. It's so rare that few even know about it let alone handled one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2008 05:28PM by Chirico Cuvie.
Yeah, that really does add to the turtle-like aspect of the design.
Could someone please post a picture of the Tread with its legs behind its head? I want to see what the taint looks like.
Booster shot.

Anonymous User
Very interesting. I don't much like the CM Legioss design (I like Toynami's better, gasp.) but I do like the overall toy look of the thing, and the TLEAD looks like a nice handful of neat toy fun.

Yeah, it really does seem like a long-lost 80s Real Type toy, newly discovered in some warehouse and priced for sale accordingly...
Roger Wrote:
> I want to see what the taint looks like.

Here you go, Rog:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2008 10:17PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Elephant.jpg (48.9 KB)
That looks tits (not the elephant). I may break down and get one.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
If this were made in the 90s, it would've been a YUTAKA. Congrats to those who made the plunge for this one. :-)
Does anyone like the look of the Alpha in gerwalk mode? I've yet to see an Alpha that doesn't look unnatural in gerwalk. I wish a company could balance this out a little bit somehow, and maybe downplay the big feet while they're at it.
Who poses the Legioss in gerwalk? It's the weakest of the modes and was only added to rip off Macross (even more). If you don't like the feet being big get a Gakken, they always stubbed the feet.
Anonymous User
I think the stalking-fighter type mode looks pretty cool, if a bit weird. I've got my Toynami Shadow displayed that way. I get the nice Armo-Fighter details, without all the space the fighter takes up on the shelf...
xiombarg Wrote:
> Does anyone like the look of the Alpha in gerwalk
> mode? I've yet to see an Alpha that doesn't look
> unnatural in gerwalk. I wish a company could
> balance this out a little bit somehow, and maybe
> downplay the big feet while they're at it.

I always thought the vintage 1/55 2-mode Gakken Legioss looked pretty nice in Diver mode:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my website: www.zormaster.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer